[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Canada Goose

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_5823.jpg (19KB, 300x199px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5823.jpg
19KB, 300x199px
How does /out/ feel about the Canada Goose clothing brand? Is it better than Patagucci?
>>
>>1094551

Canada Goose is just like one thing of note, right? They pretty much only make winter coats. It's like asking whether MSR is better than Osprey
>>
>>1094551
as >>1094554 has already said you're comparing wildly different products with wildly different intended uses

>herp derp how do people feel about mack trucks are they better than ferraris
>>
>>1094554
>>1094563
Okay, faggots. How do you feel about Canada Goose products, then?
>>
>>1094574
Nah fuck you, if you wanted a real answer you wouldn't have bothered shoehorning in a dig at some unrelated company.
>>
>>1094576
>implying

I wear patagucci stuff all the time, faggot. However, I don't own any Canada Goose stuff, hence why I asked for a comparison, to understand the price to quality. Unfortunately I have some indignant faggot posting in my thread yet refuses to answer my question.
>>
>>1094582

Okay so:

Canada Goose is what you buy if you have no limitations on budget, and for when you want a really warm jacket for very cold conditions. Like -20 C / -4 F kind of deal. The more expensive ones are suitable for casual winter use, and are not recommended for outdoors activities. Their lighter jackets are very overpriced compared the usual outdoors brands, but they probably work fine for hiking or whatnot.

Patagonia has many different types of products, including casual winter jackets. You'll pay less than for Canada Goose, but obviously it's not a budget brand either.
>>
>>1094605
Why aren't they recommended for outdoor activities?
>>
>>1094681
Why would you risk damaging a $700 coat when a $2-300 coat can give you nigh-identical performance?
>>
>>1094685
>being poor

I don't know, you tell me.
>>
>>1094681
Bulky as all hell, not waterproof or abrasion resistant, only 625fp for their parkas.
>>
>>1094681
>not waterproof
>not windproof, many aren't even wind-resistant
>no doublestitched seams, no reinforcement in common wear/abrasion spots (shoulders, elbows, cuffs)
>625-650 fill power instead of 800+ fill power means they are bulkier and heavier than cheaper coats, and won't be as warm at the lowest temperatures
>no storm channel in the front closure=water/wind intrusion and snagged linings
>down isn't treated, so once it's wet it's fucked

They're a cold-weather fashion coat, that's it. Even the premium winter coats from other high-end down companies are much cheaper while being SIGNIFICANTLY better for outdoors use.
>>
>>1094738
Can you recommend any good jacket brands, friend?
>>
>>1094740
Sure.
>down
Over-all I've been pretty impressed with Patagonia's Nanopuff Down line. Of course you also have the dedbird Cerium, and Mountain Hardwear's Ghost Whisperer. They all use high quality treated high-fill-power down, are all sewn well, all have a hood and good cuffs, and they all breathe well. Note that none of these are waterproof however (they are all windproof but still qualify as a softshell).

>waterproof down hardshell
I haven't found one yet, you're better off carrying regular raingear you can layer over your down softshell.

>synthetic
You have the regular Patagonia Nanopuff (Primaloft), Smartwool has a couple Primaloft options that don't have hoods that are pretty good, and if you're on a budget TNF's Thermoball is decent.

>synthetic waterproof
This is the odd one out, as I really can't recommend Drake's LST wader jacket enough. The liner is removable Primaloft, the outer shell is extremely high quality and has EXCELLENT pocket placement for wear with a backpack (and of course chest waders). The hood, while removable, is low-pile fleece lined and fully adjustable with storm flaps. It's also fairly light despite being high-denier nylon for abrasion resistance. The downsides are it's camo and from a brand most /out/ists have never heard of.
>>
Overpriced parkas crammed full of shitty down sold to New Jersey and New York assholes so they can walk to their cars in the winter.
>>
>>1094605
A softshell, a fleece, and a fleece vest are enough for more stationary activities at -4f. Just basic layering blows parkas the fuck out in pretty much every first world climate.
>>
>>1094889
Why do people buy these jackets, then, if there are better, cheaper alternatives? People are literally getting scammed.
>>
File: BK.jpg (34KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
BK.jpg
34KB, 900x900px
>>1094551
This plus a $100 waterproof hardshell will get you through any weather in the world.
>>
>>1094918
I work as an outfitter and I have no fucking idea. They come in the door asking for dumb shit and I do my best to teach them about layering solutions but it doesn't always work. All winter it's
>what's your warmest jacket?
>what temperature is this jacket good to?
>is this waterproof or water resistant?
>which of these jackets is warmer?
There's only so much i can do to educate people. Most of em just don't care to learn. They want to buy their stupid fucking Michelin man parka so that they're warm while their car heats up in the mornings and that's the end of it. Most of these people just hate winter and want to ride it out in as much comfort as possible. Thats why every single girl walks around in a fucking sleeping bag from October to April.
>>
>>1094920
Which hardshells do you recommend?
>>
>>1094926
I have the Patagonia Torrentshell and it definitely keeps me dry, but i havent tried anything else in years.
>>
>>1094551
I live in Canada and routinely get weather down to around -30C, sometimes down to -40C and colder. I do a variety of winter activities like camping, snowshoeing, skiing, and mountaineering.

CG is popular among city folk because they are decent jackets and are an expensive fashion statement. For people that do nothing active outside in winter, it doesn't really matter if your jacket is TOO warm, and as >>1094922
says, most people just hate the cold and will do anything to avoid it. CG also makes sense for a lot of arctic level research, because, again, those scientists aren't really doing anything active, so you need lots of insulation to stay warm in very cold temperatures when you aren't producing a lot of body heat.

Big jackets like CG/etc are shitty when it comes to being comfortable in varied temperatures (anything from -5C to -40C), and varied activity levels. For those scenarios, you need a more flexible system. Personally I like a wool base layer (smartwool fits me best), midweight fleece midlayer (marmot and arcteryx fit me best), light-to-midweight synthetic puffy (arcteryx fits me best) second midlayer, and then a hardshell on top (something big enough to wear everything else underneath, I just happen to have an arcteryx). Varying which parts you wear, this 4 piece combo will accommodate ALMOST any activity level at almost any temperature on the planet. The only time I felt like I needed more insulation than this was when I was building camp at -60C windchill AND was exhausted after around 8 hours of high altitude climbing.
>>
canada goose is shit brand imo

would not ever buy
>>
>>1094574
They're good for the arctic but too warm if it's above 0F
>>
>>1094740
>>1094767
Good list m8. As for the down+waterproof hardshell, the closest thing I can think of is Columbia's Diamond heatzone OutDry Extreme Parka. Uses a blend of synthetic and down. Synthetic fur trim is useless but it's removable. The Omni-heat reflective lining gets ya right fuckin toasty there bud. It's also got vents (without draft tubes though).
As for the Synthetic+waterproof hardshell, Arc'teryx Fission sv
>>
>>1094551
It's extremely high quality and extremely expensive. They're the type of company that a government will contract.

As others have said, they mostly focus on winter coats, however they also do make really good rain jackets, sweaters, and other insulation gear.

I've never found the need to purchase that gear, too pricey for me. Tried some of my battle buddy's on, I could understand the respect the brand had but didn't see the need.
>>
>>1094605
>very cold
> -20°

Found the southerner
>>
>>1095895
You can't blame that on being from the south.
>tfw Tennessee
>tfw hit -20*C four times last winter

Also, all the niggers in Detroit bitch about the cold before it even hits freezing, and will walk around in their giant poofy coats even when it's 80*F out
>>
>>1094947
Really hope you got some kind of money from arcteryx for this post
>>
>>1096023
>>1094947

Arcteryx is expensive af, faggots
>>
>>1096037
Cheaper than Canada Goose, nigger.

Hell a fucking Cerium through REI is still only $400ish depending on size and color, and as cheap as $270 if you hunt deals online. Canada Goose jackets are $600-800 and their full-length parkas are $700-1000.
>>
canada goose started out making parkas for literal scientist at antarctic research stations. just stick with layers instead of spending $700.
>>
File: 1504799519302.gif (503KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1504799519302.gif
503KB, 500x375px
>>1096091
>just stick with layers instead of spending $700.
>>
>>1094605
>-20c
>cold
nigger fuck off back to the desert
>>
>>1094582
>posting in my thread
It's not your thread, you merely made the first reply.
>>
Canada Goose is fine by me, biggest buyer of coyote pelts in the current time. Allows commercial trapping to stay alive.
>>
I have a Fjallraven parka 10/10 great buy for when it actually gets that cold
for intermediate coldness i wear my Outback Trading oilskin jacket.
>>
>>1094885

Torontofag here. This is literally the only purpose for these jackets.

I've never seen anyone out in the bush or on a trek wearing these monstrosities.
>>
>>1097754
This

Do any actual winter hiking in a parka, you will be overheating in minutes

There is a reason /out/ always says to wear layers and not just 1 big jacket

Remeber you are going /out/ not measuring scientific equipment at -30
>>
File: parka.jpg (243KB, 1024x1365px)
parka.jpg
243KB, 1024x1365px
Like a lot of brands, they company is just using its name to sell to dumb city people. Look at some of the high quality jackets Feathered Friends has if you need serious warmth while stationary. A nice layer system and a "belay jacket" covers a lot of situations.
>>
File: CanadaGoose.jpg (122KB, 900x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CanadaGoose.jpg
122KB, 900x1080px
>>1097754
I work in the NWT and the arctic weight ones are very common because they are warm and durable

I can't wear my snow mantra in weather warmer than -20 though, it's become a fashion line for the most part
>>
>>1097923
Duh? Layers under the parka. -40 C and high wind makes you crave for good insulation outer layer.

If you get too hot and sweaty your jacket is not breathing. And moisture == cold
>>
>>1098148

I had the possibility of stealing one of these easily and didnt.

I regret it every time. It was fucking good
>>
I live in Amsterdam and all the sandniggers here wear fake CG jackets filled with chicken feathers.

Then again, it hardly ever gets cold enough to warrant a real heqvy-duty down jacket.

That said, CG has become a fashion brand. They used to make almost exclusively proper artic gear and their expedition parkas are still top tier.

Their fashion jackets are overprived crap though.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.