[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

tiny homes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

what's your favorite tony home design? do you have a tiny home? if so, what does your blueprint look like? I need to build one in the next two months (on wheels with a hitch). I have all the tools and resources I need. What are the ins and outs of this endeavour?
>>
I like the ones that are at least 500 square feet.
>>
I've been living in one with my family for the past year. AMA.
>>
>>1094723
how big is the house?
>inb4 tiny
can you describe your installation?
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-09-05-17-01-21.png (300KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-09-05-17-01-21.png
300KB, 1080x1920px
>>1094422
>what's your favorite tony home design?
Practical and need/purpose based.

>do you have a tiny home?
Currently building one in a 40' high cube container.

>if so, what does your blueprint look like?
Pic related but kinda crappy since I just put it together on my phone. Should give an idea though and is to scale.

>I need to build one in the next two months (on wheels with a hitch). I have all the tools and resources I need. What are the ins and outs of this endeavour?
This is a large answer and really needs to be broken down into component responses to the details of who, what, where, when, how, and why.
>>
What's the advantage of having a camper van/trailer and not a motorhome?
>>
>>1094770
Just under 200 square feet. The installation was fairly simple being as it's made out of readily assembled insulated panels. We basically made a platform and bolted it onto a trailer with big old U-bolts and then put up the walls on top of that.
>>
File: IMG_7197.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7197.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
My 400 sqft cabin got fucked by Harvey. Guess I get to start over.
>>
>>1094805
They're cheaper to insure, don't have to be registered, plates are good for either longer or forever (trailer plates depending on state are good for anywhere from 10 years to forever), and you can disconnect the vehicle and fuck off doing other things without taking your home with you in case you need to park in an actual parking spot or like fuel efficiency.
>>
>>1094723

How do you fuck your wife with her kids in the house?
>>
>>1094943
so, which of the shit flinging monkeys in your picture are you?
>>
>>1094958
The one that fucked your mother
>>
>>1094943
I didn't realize homo erectus had such bad leg acne.
>>
>>1095043
Confirmed never been outdoors for longer than a dayhike.
>>
File: bridge.jpg (56KB, 634x437px) Image search: [Google]
bridge.jpg
56KB, 634x437px
If you do build one, it's technically a trailer home so they don't have to follow building codes, make sure if you make one it will fit under a bridge if you tow it.
>>
>>1095046
I fucking live in the outdoors, and I've never had a problem with leg zits. Maybe you have a really greasy vaginal area.
>>
>>1094798
May you be blessed by memery and crab meat.
>>
>>1095052
What are you, a squirrel?
>>
I'm 6'5

Nothing within the constraints of building codes will ever be enough.

I get that it's a lifestyle, but the more practical choice is to build an actual house on a piece of property.
>>
File: 1500234391857.jpg (27KB, 446x437px) Image search: [Google]
1500234391857.jpg
27KB, 446x437px
>>1095731
I know a guy who is 6'8"
Left his wife
Sold his house
Lives in a van
Says he has never been happier
Has plenty of money to travel anywhere
Always wakes up somewhere new

So glad i met that guy before i got married, he showed me a new way. In a few years i am going to follow in his footsteps.
>>
I've been seriously thinking about doing a major downsizing, so I get the cost savings of going smaller. But I honestly don't like the tiny home concept. Much of the value of a home is actually the land underneath it, and the part that gives you problems is the structure.

So, unless they come with land, tiny homes have all the problems with a home and none of the upsides.

Plus, reducing your square footage past a certain point really doesn't save you that much in costs. As an example, let's say for my next move, I get a home around here for 100k, 1200sqft. Bare lots here with utilities are around 50k, say, and a tiny home is 20-30k. So, for an extra 30k, you've got triple the square footage. The costs don't really scale down to compensate for the "pain in the ass" factor.
>>
>>1096627
Small homes (provided they're built to similar standards) save a lot of money in electricity/gas usage because they're much easier to heat/cool/light.

As a less-than-stellar example, I moved a few years ago from a 1700sqft 2-story house in NC to a 2100sqft 1-story ranch house with a finished basement in MO. Despite the ranch house being much better insulated and being in an area that isn't as miserably hot for as long, and with no other lifestyle changes and similar electricity costs, I'm paying nearly $50 a month more in electricity.
>>
>>1096627
You raise some valid points. Tiny homes are very situational. I am building one now while I am in a position to save money for land and move in a couple years. I have time and location to build so I chose to go tiny and put my money into a nice piece of property. This allows me to reach my goal of fiscal independence much sooner than if I were to buy and then develop the land to build a house. I can just drop my tiny house down and have a place to live comfortably while I develop my property as I see fit. The one point I think you are missing on is the price point for a tiny home. My build is going to complete at just under 10k and it's at the large end of tiny homes. People paying money like that for a tiny home to be built are fools.
>>
>>1094869
lol way to buy property in a fucked location
>>
>>1094422
I own 10 acers of forest just outside of portland and have been considering building a tiny home community in my yard.
I figure the most important part would be a centerally located coin op laundry mat
And bath house.
>>
>>1097082
I hate tiny house culture unless people actually move a lot, for work or something.

However you should totally do it, like a trailer park but way less work and overhead.

Maybe build a small playground , campfire area, shared garden area, etc.
All low cost and easily doable, even by the non diy crowd. Only large cost would be insurance, power&water lines, and wash house. unless you were to put slabs in, however one might be able to put gravel or crushed rock down. Although I don't know how people usually make a foundation for the house or if they just block it up?
>>
>>1097082
Damn anon I'm excited for you, not for the yuppies but for the easy money you can make.
>>
>>1097015
Yep, I've always thought that the prices I've been seeing are pretty high, but $30k is not unheard of for a prebuilt home. If you can do it for 10k, then that's probably pretty good.

As for me, I'm now targeting a small place nearby for the 100-150k range, which would drop my mortgage by half and my passive income could easier take care of the costs.

At this point, it's more to do with refinement and smaller optimizations without impacting my lifestyle too much. I'm definitely not a champ at frugal living, but I can hold my own on the investing front.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.