[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When looking for land in Maine to live on and farm/garden on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 1497438172200.jpg (61KB, 463x438px) Image search: [Google]
1497438172200.jpg
61KB, 463x438px
When looking for land in Maine to live on and farm/garden on what do I want to watch out for? What should I know? Any Mainers in /out/?
>>
Water. And make sure you know how water rights work in Maine. That's where 90% of farmers/homesteaders fuck up.

It's particularly relevant to Maine because Nestle has been leaning on the state government to open up the groundwater to bulk collection.
>>
>>1094131
Well should I do it in another state? I have my heart set on Maine but if another US state is much better for this then I might chance my mind. It has to be costal and cold climate.
>>
>>1094131
What features should I look for in a property to ensure longterm water security? Is there some third party I can bring along to inspect the site?

Not OP but very similar situation
>>
>>1094116
Anybody can just walk onto your property in Maine unless you post, then YOU are the asshole and I believe you lose certain "privileges" from the state
>>
>>1094131
People still drink bottled water?? Fuck that's bad.
>>
>>1094193
You can hire a hydrologist to look at your site and you plan for it to make sure you'll have adequate water for your needs.

>>1094177
No, you should do that research before buying farmland in any state. Learn what your water access is, your water rights and the rights of any neighboring or nearby parties. It's just due diligence to protect yourself and others.

If Nestle or someone else does start bulk collecting water in your area you need to have all that information figured out and ready in case they impede your water rights. You also don't want to unintentionally impede the water rights of your neighbors farm.
>>
>>1094177
i mean if you're looking to farm/garden then maine or any other cold place is the hardest place to do that effectively or to really enjoy it.

just remember that. i live in PA and i'm planning on moving to south carolina soon for that very reason. i'm a huge gardener and i want to do what i love year round.

but i hear ya, there's nothing like the north woods. i feel like i'm at peace in the hemlocks
>>
>>1094258
>>1094258
>but i hear ya, there's nothing like the north woods. i feel like i'm at peace in the hemlocks
May we all spend many happy days beneath the pines.
>>
>>1094131
Fuck Nestle.
>>
I wanna fug that deer
>>
Maine here. Dont worry about what these guys say about water. We have plenty, lakes, rivers, brooks and ponds fucking everywhere. It's always replenished, as water continuously flows from Canada and New Hampshire towards the coast. I live 2 miles from a poland spring factory, water table still as high as it ever was, all the local bodies of water still here
>>
>>1095364
Its not about the abundance of water.
Its the legal issues.
There are states where you can literally be denied the use of a stream that runs through the middle of your property.
>>
>>1094116
depth of the water table, acidity of the soil e.g. avoiding boggy shit, type/productivity of forest habitat, and quality of wood resources for maki
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.