[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hayduke Trail

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: Hayduke_Trail_map_4-628x643.png (988KB, 628x643px) Image search: [Google]
Hayduke_Trail_map_4-628x643.png
988KB, 628x643px
Any of you crazy bastards attempted her yet?
http://www.hayduketrail.org/index.html
It's only 800 miles through the most difficult terrain in the country
>>
>>1093735
>hiking through deserts

I dont gradp this..
>>
>>1093738
Grasp*
>>
>>1093738
The high desert canyons and badlands have a savage charm.
>>
>>1093741
I dislike places without water
>>
>Hayduke
Fucking retarded edward abbey bullshit.
So fucking sick of rafters.
>>
>>1093762
Never understood why Abbey stirs up so much bullshit on /out/ of all places
>>
>>1093743
Well then this probably is not the trail for you then
>>
>>1093762
>>1093775
No shit. I'm not an environmentalist by any means but I love ol' Ed's books. I thought he had a great sense of humor and gave wonderful descriptions of the places he'd explored. Desert Solitaire is essential reading every time I'm in the desert southwest exploring the redrock canyons.
>>
>>1093827
Monkey wrench gang basically created a fuckload of eco terrorists.
That book was so full of propaganda it felt clunky as fuck
>>
>>1093735
maybe this coming spring I'll give it a go.
>>
>>1093735
Didnt know this existed - those are all my favorite national parks. How the fuck do you get water? That shit is so dry and barren
>>
>>1093997
Seeing that it traverses through national parks, I'm assuming quite a few water refills would be at NP facilities. I also see 6 or more spots where the trail crosses or comes close to water, either river or one of the lakes.
>>
>Because of the extremely challenging and dangerous nature of this route, you must be a very experienced
desert backpacker in peak physical condition before attempting any section of the Hayduke Trail!
Thru-hikers beware! The Hayduke Trail traverses intensely rugged terrain, is largely off-trail, is not signed
and ranges in elevation from 1,800 feet in the Grand Canyon to 11,419 atop Mt. Ellen's South Summit!
>>
>>1094036
I doubt I'll ever be competent enough in desert skills to do it as I'm an easterner who's only experience is in Appalachia.
>>
>>1094059
*whose
>>
>>1094059
>I'm an easterner
sorry for your lots
>>
>>1094064
I really don't lose much but the grandiose landscapes, just as free as you are in the West here in the hills of West Virginia. Running around in the hardwood forests of the Alleghenies with a rifle and dog was the best childhood any boy could hope for.
>>
So whats hard about desert hiking?

Seems easy as long as you have water sorted out and you dress like a towelhead
>>
>>1094089
Having your water sorted out on a hike as long, isolated, and over as rough of terrain as this seems a matter of meticulous calculation, management, and luck.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.