[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wild Food Stocking Up

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: picking-blackberries.jpg (64KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
picking-blackberries.jpg
64KB, 500x350px
Who here collects wild food in bulk?

This Autumn I've collected:

30kg~ of blackberries to freeze for juice, wine, jam and pies.
3kg~ of raspberries to freeze as is.
5kg~ of elderberries to freeze for juice
1kg~ of sloes for sloe gin
2kg~ of hazel nuts to eat
2kg~ of sweet chestnuts to roast at christmas
15kg~ of crab apples for pies and going to attempt a cider.

My only disappointment is I haven't found any wild strawberries this year.
>>
Where do you live? Anyone know where this kind of foraging is possible in the US?
>>
File: IMG_2667.jpg (54KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2667.jpg
54KB, 443x332px
I recolect the fruit of the mezquite.
I make flour out of it.
But nothing like 30kg, this year I recolected like 5kg.
>>
>>1093481
I live in Norfolk in the UK. There are loads of foragable foods in the USA, if you google your state and wild foods. Now is harvest time in large areas of the USA.

>>1093482
Where do you live? Can the flour be used in place of wheat flour?
>>
>>1093485
Yo anon, Norfolk Uk here too. Where are you finding all this stuff? I'm a total amateur.
>>
>>1093485
I live in Mexico. Yes the mezquite flour can be used instead of wheat flour, but i mix both flours.
>>
>>1093504
I live on the border with Cambridgeshire but just go out and explore. Fields with hedgerows, overgrown droves, look on google earth for small wooded areas. Thetford forest is nice but overpicked. Rivers are often great for blackberries as they grow near the banks and the sunlight ripens them quickly. Just keep a close eye whenever you go out.

If you're still having problems google "wild food Norfolk map" and you'll find some locations in the city.

Sea buck thorn can be found on dunes near the sea.

Obviously learn to identify a walnut, sweet chestnut and hazelnut tree from a distance.
>>
>>1093515
Wow that's cool, do you have much wild fruit, nuts, tubers there?
>>
>>1093478
>"this autumn" as if it had been ongoing for a while
>2nd day of September
>fall doesn't officially start for another 20 days
Why are you uneducated and/or ignorant?
>>
>>1093524
Actually the meteorological beginning of autumn was on the 1st of September.The calendar doesn't decide when autumn starts, the weather does.
>>
>>1093478
if you've never had blackberries after they've been frozen, I'm going to warn you they are awful. edible, but awful.
>>
>>1093478
>wild strawberries
Good luck with that one buddie, wild strawberries aren't like regular berries. They don't grow in sams club size.
>>
>>1093602

the secret is eating them with ice cream
>>
>>1093569
>meteorological
That would be the Fall Equinox, which is 22 September this year.

Which as pointed out in >>1093524
is 20 days from now.
>>
>>1093620
it probably helps
>>
>>1093602
Wrong. Put them to a feeeze bag with ziplock and throw in some sugar, like two tablespoons. Freeze. They will taste very fresh and good.

Of course if "blueberries" means those big monsters from a industrial bush yes they are tasteless even before freezing.

t. 10L for the winter (small batch but enough)
>>
>>1093478
>elderberries
Good anon. They make delicious juice but have to be frozen to get rid of the bad stuff
>>
>>1093478
Autumn fruits aren't ripe before october where i live but i often collect (p. much every year)

>blackberries
>elderberries
>sloes
>chestnuts
>hazelnuts
>walnuts
>beechnuts
>>
>>1093913
>reading comprehension
But anyway. Add some sugar when freezing anon.
>>
>persimmons
>paw paws
>black walnuts

The deer will usually beat you so you have to be ready. Central Kentucky.
>>
>>1093970
Oh yeah, Paw paws and blackberry muscadine wine all day! Most food diverse region of the country.
>>
>>1093970
>tfw you find a persimmon that isn't quite ripe despite having fallen and being soft
Don't have too many walnut trees left my way but I've got a solid 80 acres of shagbark hickory. Hickory nuts are pretty good.
>>
>>1094100
They must bring in some tasty ass squirrel too!
>>
File: IMG_4125.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4125.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>1093481
>Anyone know where this kind of foraging is possible in the US?
Alaska. If you look close you see red and yellow salmon berries and blueberries.
>>
>>1093518
Kind of, there is a lot of diferent climates, so there is a lot of diferent plants. But I live in a semiarid climate, so where I live there is only like 4 or 5 fruits.
>>
>>1093478
i get tons of raspberries from wild in massachusetts. great fun. and delicious, forest fruit that
>>
>>1094102
Oh absolutely. Squirrel season opens 25 May here so I usually take a .22 pistol with me whenever I go fishing at my pond over the summer, always get at least 1.
>>
>>1094262
>raspberries
>great fun
I always manage to rip up my clothes picking raspberries/blackberries, even if I never actually get scratched. They're a bit of a chore to pick, though I've got enough blackberry cane on my land to fill several 5gal buckets once a week for like 2 months.
>>
File: cabelasuplands.jpg (5KB, 300x230px) Image search: [Google]
cabelasuplands.jpg
5KB, 300x230px
>>1094278
Is it worth an investment in a pair of upland hunting pants/ shirt? They are made for exactly those conditions
>>
>>1094284
Too hot for those where I am, but yeah they would hold up to it.

Otherwise just wear old clothes you don't mind getting ripped up. Jeans hold up okay.
>>
>>1094300
I just wore a pair of Levis cargo pants when I went up the mountain to go grouse/ berry scouting today and they held up great, no rips or holes, hardly got hung up. Saw a moose too! I'm going to get a pair of uplanders for myself for my birthday though because November is going to be chilly and I don't want to kill my woollens.
>>
>>1093613
Your biggest problem with wild strawberries right now is that it's months past harvest time. They ripen late spring/early summer.

I love finding a wild strawberry patch because the flavor is so good and intense, but the ones I've always seen are smaller than a marble.
>>
>>1094300
There are models with zippers on the sides but yeah it can be too hot, depending on the climate
>>
>>1093478
>sloe gin
Could you share your recipe anon ? I want to try that this year but i'm not sure about the proportions i found on the internet.
>>
>>1093478
>30kg of blackberries
I hate you so much

>>1093613
man the ones here in quebec are fugging so good who cares if they're tiny so so god damn sweet and flavorful I hate ones from the store

same with blueberries they gotta be the wild lowbush kind store/frozen ones are always highbush they taste like shitty grapes but everything eats them bears are the worst since they rip up sites
>>
>>1093675
hope you meant astronomically
>>
File: How to make Sloe Gin1.jpg (1MB, 1200x1000px) Image search: [Google]
How to make Sloe Gin1.jpg
1MB, 1200x1000px
>>1094504
Yeah sure.

>Collect the sloe berries.
>Prick them with a fork so there is a few holes in each berry.
>Fill up a bottle a bit less than half way with the sloe berries.
>Fill up the bottle to about 2/3rds full with refined sugar.
>Pour in gin, let it settle and the gin peculate all the way to the bottom.
>Shake it to mix it up.
>Lay the bottle on it's belly in a dark cupboard.
>Rotate 180 degrees every month for a minimum of 3 months.
>You can drink it that Christmas but it gets even better after a year.

>>1094509
>30kg of blackberries
>I hate you so much

Now be fair, you've got strawberries and blueberries which are even nicer.
>>
>>1094393
Yeah I'm in the southern midwest so blackberry season occurs around the last of June to the middle of July. Which means 90-100*F and 90% plus humidity.

My normal berrypicking garb is a pair of worn out jeans and a Goodwill chambray shirt.
>>
Does anyone ever go through the trouble of collecting acorns?
>>
>>1095252
they are hard to get right. each tree can randomly product very bitter nuts
>>
>>1095252
How do you use them ? Coffee ?
>>
>>1096089
Slingshot ammo
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.