[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hiking in the rain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: DSC_0008.jpg (148KB, 1024x687px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0008.jpg
148KB, 1024x687px
Rain season is coming, and I wondered if it is possible hiking in the fields (there are open truck trails between the fields) while it is raining hard. Obviously I am planning to use boots and a raincoat, and not walk in areas known for flash floods. What I am worried about is getting stuck in the mud or getting injured. There is also the fear of gradually ruining my ankles from all the twists and unnatural motions my feet will have to do in the mud.
Any of you have experience? I know this idea sounds autistic but nature must look great when it is raining.
>>
Wear some gaiters to keep mud out of your boots. If it's not that cold and ticks aren't a problem where you live them I would actually suggest quick drying shorts instead of pants.

You aren't going to get eaten by mud my dude.
>>
>people are afraid of getting stuck in the mud while "hiking" on a path between fields in 2017
Holy fuck have you ever been off the pavement? What do you think your ancestors did when it rained? Wait a day for the mud to dry so they didn't hurt their ankles?
>>
>>1093323
>>1093337
I think you missed the part where I say I want to hike WHILE IT IS RAINING HARD. Mud gets very slippery during a rain so I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience in it.
Also I'm pretty sure our ancestors, like the vast majority of mammals, wouldn't walk around in an open field during a heavy rain. If you ever got out of your house you would see how mammals take shelter from the rain or walk around in the forest at best. I would imagine ancient humans behaved the same.
>>
>>1093346
It's quite fun cause nobody else is out in the rain. just be careful and wear boots with good tread, also wear tall socks.

Prepare to get wet everywhere, even with rain pants, jacket and HAT, the hat is important because you can use it with the hood or without.

Also nice to have a tarp to set up to make lunch/have a smoke/take a break under.

In steady, all day rain I will even run a fire under the high end of the tarp, however you need to be careful about keeping the fire small, and having the tarp high enough to not catch fire .

Have fun and bring extra socks,undies, possibly long johns if it's chilly. Stay closer to the car if you don't wanna have possibility of a long cold walk.

Source: outdoorsman and work outdoors every day.
>>
>>1093346
Also ducks like the rain, I am starting duck hunting this year and am excited about hunting in the rain. Fewer hunters and I enjoy the adversity, kind of like winter.
>>
>>1093293
ankle support helps in the mud

ponchos are your friend, gaiters are your friend
actually I often use a cheap umbrella, call me a bitch but it works really well because waterproof materials often trap heat but an umbrella doesnt

but mud just washes off, it won't hurt you or your gear
>>
>>1093356
All good points except the dirt part, mud on your pants will cause wear from bits of grit sliding around, a common cause of failure of waders. Also dirt in your shoes will wear out your socks much much quicker.
>>
>>1093293
>I wondered if it is possible hiking in the fields
Yes it is.
>What I am worried about is getting stuck in the mud or getting injured.
Poles get memed about pretty hard here, but if you are in slippy/sticky conditions they are great. Even the most rugged grips on a boot will get mudded out. So having poles to lean on while walking will help a lot.
If you are on a multi day walk in the rain foot care and good camp organisation become really important. You are going to want to get your feet as dry as possible, have spare socks, and use foot powder. Getting used to operating a good wet-dry system as well will help a lot. Wet clothes for walking in and dry stuff so sleeping in. While the rain is on going the wet clothes will likely stay damp. But at least you have your dry set for when are in camp.
>>
Hiking in the rain is great.

You need to accept you'll get soaking wet no matter what.
Dont bother with waterproof clothes, wear fast drying synthetic clothes
Get some trail runners with deep lugs (eg. Inov8 Mudclaw 300)
Use a dry bag inside your backpack to keep important stuff dry.

Ankle support is a meme, do some ankle exercises.
>>
>>1093373
>Use a dry bag inside your backpack to keep important stuff dry.
this.
I also bag up things that are likely to gain weight with water, or that won't dry.

some bags with exposed padding also sponge up water, causing them to smell and the straps to slip.
No solution for this yet.
some bags have rain covers but they don't typically protect the front of the pack

I also pack extra socks for wet weather
>>
>>1093380
>some bags with exposed padding also sponge up water, causing them to smell and the straps to slip.
>No solution for this yet.
>some bags have rain covers but they don't typically protect the front of the pack
Poncho as your top layer, over the pack and all.
>>
LNT requires that you not go hiking unless the soil is dry. Thanks for eroding the soil you thoughtless bastard
>>
Mud is not so bad. I'd rather deal with mud then flood plains with the clumps of tall grass where with every step your foot twists a different direction.
>>
>>1093411
Joking aside, when hiking in wet conditions you should stick to the trail and not walk either side to avoid the mud. This leads to the trail getting wider and wider.
>>
>>1093409
probably the answer

>>1093411
kek

>>1093415
this, fuck that kind of grass in particular
>>
>>1093418
I always walk on the edge of the trail because if you walk in the middle the trail gets deeper and deeper. Walking on the edge minimizes the damage to the actual trail and evens things out. The forest service says stay on the trail but they say lots of dumb things like it's ok to shit and piss on the trail to minimize impact on the surrounding area.
>>
>>1093293
>How do I walk in the rain?
Are there really people like this?
>>
File: IMG_5127.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5127.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>1093495
Yes
>>
>>1093470
Is this b8?
>>
>>1093380
>>1093409
just put everything in your pack inside of a garbage bag.

done.
>>
File: mud.webm (3MB, 740x416px) Image search: [Google]
mud.webm
3MB, 740x416px
This may upset some people so I'm going to give a trigger warning now.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.