[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Less detectable fire

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: 20170502_193714.jpg (1MB, 2685x1677px) Image search: [Google]
20170502_193714.jpg
1MB, 2685x1677px
Anyone have any ideas about how to build and maintain a fire without being given away by large amounts of smoke?
>>
>>1092073
Wood gas stove, burns efficient and produces less or no smoke.
>>
Dakota fire hole, and do it underneath/near a tree branch so it diffuses smoke.
>>
You don't need a fire
>>
File: Dakota Fire Hole.jpg (373KB, 1024x768px)
Dakota Fire Hole.jpg
373KB, 1024x768px
>>1092076
The main problem with being under a tree is catching the roots on fire then hours or days later the tree ignites and there's a forest fire. It'd be better to break off some limbs and make a lean-to with them over the fire. Though, smoke dispersal is a wonky thing really.
>>
looks like KKK
>>
>>1092085
Lol it's actually Walpurgis Night in Heidelberg
>>
>>1092081
I've never understood this. I build fire holes underneath trees all the time. How could the roots catch fire, and hold the flame days later after I've already buried the fire and they're not getting any oxygen?
>>
>>1092081
>ok guys time to put out the fire
>put dirt all over it

>dont make a fire in a hole near a tree because the live, green roots surrounded entirely by dirt and almost 0 oxygen will catch fire a few days after you fill the hole
>>
>>1092073
if you don't know enough about fire to know how to make one smoke free you don't know enough about fire to be trusted with one in conditions where they're banned.
>>
>>1092078
Youre wrong
>>
>>1092081

it looks like his shovel is just a simple garden trowel
>>
IF you're violating a fireban then you are litteraly retarded, and a problem. "But I'm special, and know how to control FIIIYAH, and going /out/ without a fire is boring and makes me scared".

You're not special
KYS
>>
>>1092188
It doesn't take much to dig a small hole like that
>>
>>1092135
>if you don't know enough about fire to know how to make one smoke free you don't know enough about fire to be trusted with one in conditions where they're banned.

T. Unhelpful condescending faggot
>>
>>1092073
Don't use anything green, don't use dead leaves and if you really don't want any smoke cut the bark off of all your fuel.
>>
File: P1060375.jpg (45KB, 464x640px) Image search: [Google]
P1060375.jpg
45KB, 464x640px
>>1092127
>>1092124
It happens. The reason it takes forever is because of the low amount of oxygen. That's what makes it dangerous. The same thing can happen in a house in tight spaces near un-insulated metal chimneys. Back in the 80s there were several fire safety videos shown in school, where I went to school, about that very thing. Whenever I make a fire on or in bare ground, I always do it far away from trees or I dig further down into the soil to make sure there's a several inches of root-free dirt under the fire. It is an easy precaution to do.

https://sectionhiker.com/root-fires-and-leave-no-trace/
http://www.backcountryattitude.com/campfire-problems.html
>>
>>1092286
>digging into the soil

This violates the NAP in LNT philosophy. Please never do this again or kys in an environmentally friendly way. Thank you.
>>
>>1092300
I haven't since I started using a rocket stove.
>>
>>1092081
>>1092124
>>1092127
>>1092286

This is only a big problem in places with peat all over the ground
>>
File: P1060788.jpg (160KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
P1060788.jpg
160KB, 600x450px
>>1092124
stuhpid?
https://youtu.be/zwFmmV2fw-k
>>
>>1092308
Not true. It has happened in my area and there's nothing but clay soil and light humus in the woods. It only happens in the fall when things are super dry and people are camping a lot.
>>
>>1092327

>big problem

but yeah
>>
>>1092312
Clearly a lightning strike
>>
>>1092337
Forest fires are typically a big problem.

>>1092340
Of course, but this shit is a major problem for campers too.
>>
>>1092081
Why set a forest on fire when you can set a whole mountain on fire for centuries?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brennender_Berg
>>
You want a fire without smoke, and most importantly, safe. You need a few things:

Dry tinder, dry kindling and dry wood.

Good ventilation. The fire needs oxygen to burn cleanly.

A metal container with that will keep ashes and coals off the ground.

I use a hobo stove setup similar to this one, made with stuff from the thrift store.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsUddKNUKIw
>>
>>1092344

It's a much bigger problem where peat is in abundance than where there is clay.

Obviously if the ground you're walking on is flammable peat, the problem will be bigger than if you're walking on mostly clay.

Pretty depressing that had to be explained for you.
>>
>>1092364
Did you miss the humus part? Stop being a retard.
>>
>>1092369

The only one whose retarded is the one comparing humus on top of clay to peat you absolute moron.

>Top layer of humus catching on fire, burning down to soil

>10ft deep+ of peat catching on fire

Which is the bigger problem? Dumbass.
>>
>>1092124
Not all soil conditions are identical to those in your area.
>>
>>1092250
Does where I live. It's like trying to dig through cement.
>>
>>1092385
You are deluded or trolling. We are talking about root fires. With humus they catch the humus on fire which spreads to other trees. Shit doesn't stay underground forever, kid.
>>
>>1092457

>We are talking about root fires. With humus they catch the humus on fire which spreads to other trees.

Crazy how peat forest fires do exactly that except in a bigger more problematic scale.

>kid
>>
>>1092073
Literally all you need is dry wood. Stop burning wet shit.
>>
>>1092300
LNT is for gaybois.
>>
>>1092078
You're right.
>>
Locust wood produces the least amount of smoke
>>
I'm no expert but I can know a few tricks

the fire becomes detectable because
A. it radiates light
B. it produces smoke
C. it leaves a mess
D. it has a thermal signature, as does anything heated

during the day the light isn't usually an issue, and at night the smoke is much less of an issue

To stop the light, ensure there is nothing above you the light will shine on (tree branches).
if you have to put some green branches high over the fire that will catch the light but be less visible
Then shield the base of the fire, building up earth of snow is the best for this, but stones work (though these retain thermal signature, often for days). This way the light only reflects up.

Smoke is always going to be present, but if you build the fire somewhere the wind will take it, then it won't make such a visible column, especially if the wind carries it into the canopy.
Dry material is a must, finding dry material is it's own challenge but of supreme importance, as is good ventilation but this is easier.
if you have damp material dry it with the lit fire so only the first material you burn is damp
Never burn anything that will sent burning particles skyward, it's like firing of flares and it's stupid for all kinds of reasons.
If you have to burn leaf litter etc use branches above it to stop the fire carrying so much skywards.

everyone has said it, but NOBODY IS EXEMPT FROM A FIRE BAN.
>>
>>1092073
Well I'm not sure about an open fire. But I use this little wood stovebuddy. And it doesn't ever produce any smoke for me and it's easy to carry clean, and not really visible. Just my two cents.
>>
Wood stove?
>>
>>1093563
>stovebuddy
What is this anon?
>>
>>1092349
>https://en.m.

just get out
>>
>>1094575
https://www.amazon.com/Solo-Stove-Lite-Compact-Backpacking/dp/B007DBD3IU

This little guy. It's a little pricey, but imo it's worth taking on all my outings.
>>
>>1095450
Much better then a gas stove ay? I honestly like wood better because it's everywhere.
>>
>>1095458
As long was you have little shit twigs everywhere you got fuel for days. Plus if you want to start a bigger camp fire. Just turn it upside down and dump the coals. It's really lightweight too, and a small set of aluminum cook pots work great with it.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.