[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

South Carolina

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 8

Just moved here from Vancouver Canada. I'm missing the mountains but the nature around here still looks pretty. How do I take full advantage of that? What sort of /out/ activities are recommended in the southeast generally and in South Carolina in particular? Is there any hiking? Should I buy a small kayak or paddle board? Should I get into fishing? What do you guys recommend?

In Vancouver I basically just hiked and snowboarded to get my /out/ fix and occasionally camped. I'm not expecting hard mountain trails out here or anything, but I would certainly love to find some trails through some wetlands. I'm located in the Charleston area btw.
>>
I have for a long time dreampt of going to go to Pendelton, South Carolina.
>>
>>1091818
You could try trails on nature preserves. I have some family out there and they've said they like Botany Bay on Edisto Island
>>
>>1091818
>>1091877
And if you get a kayak you open up a ton of possibilities for yourself. One of my cousins took me to a river where he regularly finds a ton of fossils and shark teeth. Not sure where it was but if that's your thing you could get recommendations about where to go from a fossil forum
>>
Lived in SC for years here. Get in the upstate, go around Lake Keowee or Jocassee. There are plenty of beautiful places to hike around Table Rock/the Blue Ridge area.

Also, yeah, plenty of kayaking to be done in the upstate and lower state
>>
>>1091818
Google SC state parks, there are alot. Also good rivers to kayak and fish.
>>
Jog/bike on marsh trails.
>>
I live in Columbia, and we do have a National Park here in the state, even though everyone forgets about it. It's Congaree National Park. At Congaree National Park, there are hiking trails, and the Congaree River, which is great for flatwater kayaking through.

Spring, Winter, and Fall are when to visit. October is awesome hiking in the park.

Other than that, Upstate State Parks are nice. I like the Oconee area, and Great Smoky Mountains National Park isnt too far away
>>
Guns. Hunting. Those are what I do when I go down into sc. You could take a weekend trip into the high country of sc but thats a solid 5 hour drive from where you are currently.
>>
>>1091880
>>1091901
>>1091945
>>1091981
So it sounds like the next investment for me is a kayak if I want to go /out/ in anyway. I love kayaking back when I was in Canada off in the pacific but I've never considered buying my own.

Got any recs for a 1 man kayak. Something easy enough to throw onto my car and take off with when I want to?

>>1091981
Sounds like most of the good hiking is up in the northern part of the state. I might consider that if I had a longer weekend to also turn it into a camping trip. But for a day trip that'd probably be way too out of the way for me.

>>1091948
I do love jogging. Do you happen to know of any marsh trails near Mount Pleasant?
>>
>>1092020
How do I into guns? Never owned my own gun before. My brother owns a few and I've gone to the range a few times. But that's probably a better question for /k/.
>>
>>1092159
>Got any recs for a 1 man kayak
Depends what you want to do. Do some research.
You want to do ocean? Lakes? Rivers?
Play/river-running/creeking/expedition/fishing?

If you want a quality boat for a reasonable price, you'll have to go used. Check craigslist and boatertalk. Remember you'll need a PFD, paddle, helmet, and sprayskirt as well....

I'd look into paddling clubs/outfitters around you before making any decisions. They can help you learn the area, find gear, and make friends.
>>
There are 2 parts of sc /out/. Woods/mountains up north west area and boat life along the coast. I am the latter. If you are in charleston I will take you fishing leaf
>>
File: 20150501_160113.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20150501_160113.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1091818
Welcome to South Carolina, Leaf. I'm in HHI. Yeah, get a kayak.
>>
>>1091818
Upstate, Midlands, or Lowcountry?
Kayak would be a great investment, but do get a SOT in case you decide to go saltwater
There are great national forests and bodies of water all throughout SC
If you go to Saltwater be VERY careful where you walk because here there is Pluff/Plough mud (is a lot like quicksand in terms of getting stuck and sinking in it and there is Oysters and Clams underneath that are really sharp)
Also hogs are open season as well
>>
File: 45bullred.jpg (545KB, 1152x1536px) Image search: [Google]
45bullred.jpg
545KB, 1152x1536px
>>1092649
>>1093304
That's where I am
>>
>>1092180

If you're still a Canadian citizen then buying guns/ammo is a no no for you.
>>
File: 20140928_140658.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20140928_140658.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1093306
>fuck using an anchor, I'll just park in the marsh grass

kek
>>
hey brother i live close to you you ain't gonna wanna go in the francis marion forest during the summer or even early fall bc bugs will fuck you up but once it gets cold you can park here

33.278462, -79.962626

and east is a long ass trail that goes all the way to the ocean

or you can cross the road and walk around on the dam by lake moultrie, good place for sunsets
>>
Sumterfag here. Sc has great fishing. One of the first things you are gonna want to purchase is a thermacell. The mosquito is our state bird. Go to sc.dnr.gov and get a fishing and hunting license. You can hunt dove, quail, ducks, deer, coyote, bear, boar, just to name a few. Coastal fishing is great, and there are tons of panfish and bass in freshwater. Welcome to the state
>>
File: 20170731_100459-3984x2241.jpg (950KB, 3984x2241px) Image search: [Google]
20170731_100459-3984x2241.jpg
950KB, 3984x2241px
>>1093375
Sorry I'm not a pleb that stays in creeks and catch dinks.
>Pic related is last time I was at the same spot
>>
File: P_20170903_150758.jpg (4MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
P_20170903_150758.jpg
4MB, 4096x2304px
Went there today...you can fish there after some hiking...plenty of hiking..but its flat and several down trees to climb over or under. It's a huge area 27,000 acres. Free access.
>>
>>1092180
>>1093318
>If you're still a Canadian citizen then buying guns/ammo is a no no for you.

if you hold a valid hunting license you are exempted from the ATF's ban on foreigners buying guns
>>
>>1093318
>>1093926
I'm a dual citizen of both the US and Canada so hopefully I should be fine. I was born in the US to an American father and Canadian mother.
>>
>>1092649
>>1093186
Ah yeah I'm in Mt. Pleasant. Most definitely sounds like I need a kayak. I can fish decently well though I had to get rid of all my gear when I moved down here. (I needed to pack extremely lightly).

>>1093304
Good advice man. Where do you hunt for hogs though?

>>1093453
Awesome man thanks for that. I absolutely love hiking, more so than Kayaking but then again I've never owned my own kayak so its hard to compare the time I've spent doing either.

>>1093493
Thanks for the welcome! I look forward to adventuring here. I think in order of investment, time, and all that what I could realistically get into would be fishing, then kayaking, then hunting. Guns and ammo aren't cheap especially if I want to store them right.
>>
Doesn't matter OP, Irma gonna kill you.
>>
>>1091818
gtfo, head northeast and go hiking in the Western North Carolina Blue Ridge mountains. My favorite place on earth desu.
>>
>>1091818
Unless you leave in the NW corner of SC there's not much in the way of hiking to be had.

I'd recommend kayaking in the rest of the state. You can take a fishing pole with you too.
>>
>>1094286
shit i meant northwest, sorry. been a long day.
>>
>>1094009
Literally go to any land that hunting is permitted. Francis Marion would be closest to you. They're considered a nuisance and everywhere, so it's fairly easy. Just dump some feed, go drink and 6 pack and come back.
Also if you can, go ahead and buy supplies for Irma, so you don't have to get caught in panic mode.
>>
>>1094008
I live in SC and can say it's probably the easiest place on earth to buy a firearm. Go to gunshow/flea market/guys house from IWANNA paper give money and receive gun. Thats it no paperwork.
>>
File: 1484249517579.jpg (37KB, 285x298px) Image search: [Google]
1484249517579.jpg
37KB, 285x298px
I was a SC born and raised then moved to Texas for work in 2008. I miss Greenville. Whenever the weather here dips to around 70 it reminds me of home for some reason. My dad passed away a few years back and I haven't brought myself to go back because Greenville reminds me of him. I don't think I can properly grieve until I go back but I'm avoiding it. Call your dad, anons.
>>
>>1091861
It is very comfy. Go to the Village Baker when you finally make the trek.
>>
>>1091818
For hiking do the Palmetto Trail, about 400+ miles. coast to the mountains!
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.