[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

rain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: rain.jpg (455KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
rain.jpg
455KB, 1920x1080px
Hi,
I'm looking for and advice how to protect yourself and equipment from rain. How to put up tent, light fire. How to dry stuff while you're in the middle of a hike and it has rained for days and doesn't seem to stop.
All things related with dealing with rainy weather and still keeping as comfy as possible.
>>
Frogg Toggs, and always pitch a tarp before unpacking or changin clothes.
>>
>>1090661
>Frogg Toggs
Took a look at their site - damn seems impressive.
>>
>>1090695
I've got a suit of their cheeper range ("All Sport") and it's the bee's tits for the price and comfort.
>>
Fast drying clothing.

100% synthetic hiking trousers dry better than polycarbonate

Same idea with tops. Fleece and pile don't hold water. When it's wet I leave my merino base in my bag and Wear a fleece and windshirt, and a gorerex over.

Lots of socks, change them regularly when you stop, plus talcum powder. I hang my wet socks under my armpits which is an old army trick my dad recommended.

I also really like umbrellas. Not ideal for alpine and high wind but keeps a lot of rain off you and helps avoid over saturating your waterproofs.

If you tent camp get one that pitches outer first or at least both together.
>>
>>1090746
Polycotton not polycarbonate...
>>
>>1090746
>I hang my wet socks under my armpits
nice trick!
>>
I also really like umbrellas.
They can be surprisingly useful as I have discovered myself
I do not like the thing that they occupy a hand -- has anybody had good experience with some massive hats or something like that? :D
>>
File: Jth48.jpg (177KB, 600x752px) Image search: [Google]
Jth48.jpg
177KB, 600x752px
>>1090750

A quick google search seems to imply it's not that hard to attach an umbrella to your backpack or even tucked into your shirt for hands free use.

http://francistapon.com/Travels/Advice/10-Reasons-to-Go-Hiking-and-Backpacking-with-an-Umbrella
>>
>>1090653
Pack everything into waterproof folding bags, even if your bag has rain cover. loksak cover for electronics
Buy a good set of raingear, 3 layers GT or Dermizax when you need to move all day in rain.
Synthetics and wool only, cotton is of evil.
Use a tent that can be put up dry in rain, tunnels work best,they also provide a dry porch to store gear. Also, good high floor, solid material. Still bring a towel to wipe off water inside the tent. Also, have seam sealer.
Once the inside of your boots gets wet, fun is over, you'll only get blisters and hypothermia out of this, so get gtx boots or lundhags, or real leather boots greased to waterproof. Also, gaiters, they work!
you can semi dry clothings inside your tent over night, but not really everything still will be damp and cold. some tents have hooks for a inside clothesline. you can dry your base (and if needed be your mid) layer by wearing them inside your sleeping bag, takes about 4-6 hours. bring a good book. 2 hours of non rain with enough wind can be enough to dry out clothes/gear, if you see the opportunity, set a line.
If it rains for days without end, only a mountain hut with a stove will really do the trick,

If you can't find a hut, create your personal dry space. Like make sure that at least the inside of your sleeping bag is dry and comfy. if your feet are getting wet from condensation, then put on your rain jacket over the foot part where it touches the inner wall.
Also, piss bottle, there are times when you just don't want to go outside your tent.
>>
>>1090746
>I also really like umbrellas. Not ideal for alpine and high wind
that is mildly put, they are absolute shit as soon as you got wind.
>>
>>1090767
>My $store umbrella sucks
>Hurr de durr
>>
>>1090695
>>1090696

I've done a few hundred miles in the ultralight frogg toggs, with the membrane on the outside. I will start by saying that it was completely waterproof, and perhaps the most breathable membrane jacket i've ever owned.

it dries very quickly in a light breeze, and is very light.

the jacket still shows no sign of wear from where my backpack contacts it, somehow.

be careful with it though, brushing by a pointy stick will scrape the membrane or make tiny pinholes in it! this is definitely a jacket for the trails. I've read that the ones with a layer of face fabric are much more durable though. when I pack my jacket, I roll it so that the membrane is inside the roll, and the tough poly liner is outside before I throw it into my pack.

overall, great value for the $20 I paid for the set of jacket and pants.
>>
>>1090653
If you have a rain jacket of some form of technical material, remember to renew the DWR in it occasionally. Once the raindrops don't become droplets but wet splotches, your jacket needs some care.

You can get stuff like Nikwax and just impregnate the jacket in a washing machine.
>>
>>1090653
I don't have much to add...others have already mentioned having a tarp or rainfly to put up first so you can work without soaking your pack. Wearing synthetics has already been mentioned, they dry very quickly. The only thing I can add is that I usually pack my surplus rain poncho, it is big enough to go over my pack and it is very easy to put on. I am pretty sure they make rain covers for your pack if you would rather wear a rain coat.
>>
>>1090653
>>1090653
If it's going to be wet for a while you will probably need to implement a wet-dry system which is worse than it sounds. Keep one set of clothes for walking in, this set will mostly stay wet or damp for the duration. Then you have your spare/dry clothes for once you are getting into your tent. The worse part of this system is the morning when you get into your wet clothes but the soon warm up when hiking.
>light fire
If it's really wet then I wouldn't worry about it desu.
>How to put up tent
Well I hope to god you have a tent that pitches outer first. If so then no stress. Just pitch, put down your ground sheet and get in.

Take every and any chance to let your kit dry out. Forget your normal walking schedule. If you get a break in the rain and the sun comes out you stop. You take you your tent and you let it dry as much as possible.

As has been mentioned, synthetics are better in the wet. If you are like me and insist on a down bag then your entire life is about keeping that bag dry.
>>
>>1090653
>>1090936
I also always pack a sheet of polycro, it's the plastic you insulate windows with, to use as a shit pad, blanket, poncho, tarp, whatever. It's also my ground sheet. It's useful stuff. And it's light and cheap.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.