[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GPS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: 262939_20697_XL.jpg (142KB, 1024x818px) Image search: [Google]
262939_20697_XL.jpg
142KB, 1024x818px
Hey /Out/, Im looking for a Handheld GPS for hunting hiking etc. I know next to nothing about them, my requirements are that it should be topographical, accurate, reliable and for under 500 CAD. Any pointers, reccomendations etc are welcome.
>>
Use google maps on your cellphone. They have an offline option.
>>
File: DSC_4992_-L.jpg (74KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_4992_-L.jpg
74KB, 800x533px
>>1090486
Accurate/reliable covers pretty much everything. Give the antenna clear view of the sky, anything manufactured in the last decade will be fine.

Garmin's pretty much "the standard" others are compared to. Also the most community-supported when it comes to maps and databases.

Most modern receivers can take mapsets.
Make sure you get a receiver with a µSD card slot - internal memory is usually quite limited.
I also suggest a color display - when you add maps and the data that comes with them, grayscale gets real hard to read.

There's sites with free maps - gpsfiledepot.com comes to mind. Check that out, if they have coverage of the areas you're interested in then give those maps a shot. Otherwise, the Garmin topo maps are pretty good. Some areas are hit-or-miss for coverage and quality.
I run the Garmin maps on my GPS - CityNav covers US/CA/MX, and Topo I have split into a couple different regions. With as much and as often as I travel, I like having a consistent quality map on the GPS.

Don't need the top-of-the-line GPS to get the basic features you're interested in. My old 76Cx does exactly what you're looking for.
eTrex is solid, capable, and affordable.
Oregon and Montana are on the higher-end, they're good.

Some smartphone apps aim to replace a GPS receiver, but of all the ones I've tried, I keep falling back on my 76Cx because of its form factor, durability, and mounting options.
>>
>>1090486

I work in the woods (USFW ecologist) and I use a Garmin GPSmap 64st.

The "st" just means that it comes pre-loaded with topo. I wouldn't have gotten the topo if my work didn't pay for it because you can download it for free.

Its useful for marking waypoints and the "birds eye" is great. As accurate as I need it too.

I would stay away from touch screens. Seems great until you have to use gloves or slightly wet hands.
>>
Modern cell phones have "offline mode" GPS that works anywhere in the world, as long as you have previously downloaded the map of the area where you are going to your phone, it will accurately show you your location. Dont waste your money on a GPS.

Source: just hiked for 3 mos. never got lost thanks to gps. only used phone.
>>
>>1090486
Gaia gps app. Or one of the many other gps apps. Gaia even has a service for hunters. My phones, moto g 3rg gen, lasts for ~4 days when I have it in 'gps mode' (read as: screen dimmed all the way, airplane mode on) this is while using it to take pictures as well. Take a little 10k battery pack and your got like 16 days of battery.
>>
>>1090486
>install alpinequest on your smartphone
>torrent the ibycus topo maps
>???
>under 500 CAD!
>>
>>1091143
Ya, if you're going with a dedicated unit, the 64 series seems like the obvious choice. For whatever reason, when Garmin puts a touch screen on their hiking GPS units(Oregon, Montana, etc...) Things go bad.

>>1091413
This is also good, but the issue is most phones lean too hard on a-gps... If you just run your phone in GPS mode without the cell towers giving it help, it's not nearly as accurate or fast to grab onto satellites as a dedicated GPS unit.

My setup is a Colorado 300(with topo Canada v4, ibycus, and basemap. Might have Canada streets 2016 too, just for poi) and a foretrex 401 that gets waypoints fed to it by the Colorado.

Garmin released an update to the 401 last month(after 12 years!) With the 601/701. Looks really nice, but is pricy af for what you get(basically an etrex 101 with bt and Galileo support, shrunk down a bit to fit in a very clunky watch. I want it, but I'd never pay $800cnd for it). It's important to note the foretrex line if GPSs aren't too useful without maps or another GPS with the ability to display maps... So other than rich hunters or soldiers, the foretrex 701/601 isn't likely to sell well.
>>
>>1090486

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx. It's pretty good.
>>
File: FILE0265_.jpg (106KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
FILE0265_.jpg
106KB, 800x600px
>>1092732
I had two of those before I made the switch to the 76 series. Great receivers, and the 76 shares just about everything but the form-factor with the 60. Mount for the 76 wraps around the entire device instead of relying on that cheesy belt clip nubbin on the back.

I hated the sensors though. Compass stayed off, and the baro threw the elevation measurement off unless it was calibrated regularly.
>that's why I have a 76cx now
>>
>>1090506
IDK. Unless I'm on wifi my google maps doesnt "find my position".
>>
>>1090506
Fuck Google maps. Use Openstreetmaps. It's much more accurate for /out in general. There are paths and everything.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.