[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

fire reflectors, what are the thoughts on this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: fire reflector.jpg (200KB, 1750x984px) Image search: [Google]
fire reflector.jpg
200KB, 1750x984px
fire reflectors, what are the thoughts on this?
>>
>>1090023
they don't reflect fire for sure
>>
never made one but from what i hear, they're effective for trapping heat for your campsite.
>>
They work, but are unnecessary assuming you've got appropriate clothing and sleeping gear. By all means have fun with it though.
>>
>>1090029
They do, but the type in the OP is of course limited. That type absorbs more than it reflects, but also releases that energy back at you. They are great for blocking the prevailing wind, but are best with 3 sides.

For proper reflection, drape an emergency blanket on the fire side. They become amazing then. Keep in mind that if you are going to use an emergency black for a reflector, you don't need a solid wall. You only need a a couple sticks/trees to tie up the emergency blanket. That's far less work and more LNT too. You can pack light weight poles with your tent and use those if you think you'll not have sticks to find on site.

You can also couple it with this type of setup, though using an emergency blanket for this will be much better.
>>
>>1090130
or just foil or any reflective surface
>>
Just put a big flat rock up
>>
>>1090135
Foil is a major pain to use to keep from ripping even in slight wind. Emergency blankets are rather durable for those applications. I normally keep about 5 of them packed in my gear.
>>
>>1090023
Pretty sure that's a wind-break. Wouldn't be surprised if they also reflected heat back tho.
>>
>>1090023
>>1090560
its supposed/able to do multiple things. protect the fire, hide the fire, reflect heat, and ultimately is firewood in itself, to stoke with
>>
>>1090130
LNT?
>>
>>1090572
late night twinkie
>>
>>1090572
Leave No Trace
>>
File: 04-body-on-everest-670.jpg (261KB, 670x504px) Image search: [Google]
04-body-on-everest-670.jpg
261KB, 670x504px
>>1090572
>Leafs Not Trustworthy

Selfish cunts chanting about muh environment and leaving garbage everywhere they go
>>
>>1090760
yeah! like why not take his clothes, or at least his boots! they seem good quality material
>>
>>1090797
her*
>>
>>1090130
>they don't reflect fire for sure
>They do
no you retard they would melt and crumple
>>
>>1090029
>This material does not conform to the laws of physics
Whatever you say mate. Enjoy life.
>>
>>1090596
kek
>>
>>1090890
>wood
>reflect fire
no wood burns unless there is no oxygen around but then there is no fire you mongrel
>>
>>1090901
None is talking about the fire, we are talking about the heat that is generated by the combustion in the fire. Are you an American or something?
>>
>>1090901
Are you claiming that an object made of wood is unable to reflect infrared (thermal) radiation?
>>
>>1090572
Leave Nasty Turds
>>
>>1091979
i'm claiming it is unable to reflect fire
>>1091957
>they don't reflect fire for sure
are you dumb?
>>
>>1090572
Large neurotic turtles. Gotta watch out for those things. They bite.
>>
>>1090873
But, I do that every fall when at the hunting camp. Try it yourself, just don't put it so close to the fire. I'm not sure what your problem is, kid.
>>
>>1092028
What do you mean with "reflect fire"? Do you mean the thermal energy from fire?
>>
File: 1501470046108.jpg (20KB, 427x427px) Image search: [Google]
1501470046108.jpg
20KB, 427x427px
>>1090130
If this is oc then you're a pretty cool guy
>>
>>1093294
It's not OC.
>>
>>1091957
>>ar eyou an american??

OBSESSED
>>
>>1090023
wind breaks are more important, but the two can often be combined

>>1090130
>>1090189
This guy knows his shit

>>1090145
This also works really well, because you will often just find rocks where you are and shielding against the wind with stones is easy.
The rocks act as a heat sink so they give out heat after you put the fire out.

but you leave blackened rocks everywhere, and some kinds of rock explode (looking at you quartz)

I often dig a hole for the fire, prop the fire above the hole, then all the ash falls into the hole
Afterwards I can bury most of it and put the blackened rocks black side down over it.
There are better ways, but it's quick and you end up with a great hot-spot

>>1090873
you are just putting the reflector too close to the fire, the fire goes straight up but the heat radiates in all directions so you can reflect it from a greater distance
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.