[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oregon Camping Trip (October 1st)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_20140803_094329.jpg (881KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140803_094329.jpg
881KB, 1920x2560px
So I've been trying to plan a camping trip in Oregon but I've only been camping with family gear on local (East coast) land. I've been to Oregon once, but that was in the summer. This time I'm going back in the fall, and I intend to camp for 3 days and two nights.

I'm new to buying camping gear, and obviously new to the area so if there's any advice you guys have that's specific to the situation, I'd love to hear it. Also, visiting the Tumalo/Bend area.
>>
>>1089628
I went camping up there a bit last September. I'm originally from Georgia. I don't know what advice you are really looking for. Make sure you bring rain gear. It is really beautiful out there. If you actually live in the Northwest now, do yourself a favor and go to Olympic national park at some point. It's so insanely gorgeous.
Mt Hood national forest,Colombia River Gorge, and Crater Lake are all nice very nice, but get crowded
>>
>>1089646
>3 inches of rain a year
>Don't forget your raingear
>>
>>1089646

I am also from Georgia. I really enjoy the northern part of the state like Cohutta and Rich Mountain, but every other part of the state is just meh. Thought about moving out west and getting my own land. Is it nice out there?
>>
>>1089628
Don't do much in Warm Springs, it's a drunk/high native junk yard. t. bend person
>>
>>1089628
Bring good socks and an extra long sleeve because the tempurature drops more heavily at night in the west than on the east coast. Other than that, don't forget water. It's fairly easy to not succumb to the elements as long as you do those two things in Oregon.
>>
File: Osprey-Kestrel-28-16_0.jpg (50KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
Osprey-Kestrel-28-16_0.jpg
50KB, 750x750px
More potentially useful info:
>Gonna be me and my girlfriend
>Potentially our dog (medium/Large mutt)
>5 day trip, one full day in a hotel, Three days and two nights camping, ending that night in a hotel at Cannon Beach and flying out the next morning.
>intend to kayak at some point
>I'm 6'3 and she's 5'5

I've been looking over "Essentials" lists online to get an idea of what to bring, but I honestly don't know if we'll be "camping" or "backpacking" or hiking. I don't know how the state parks work out there, if you have to rent a camping spot or if you can just hike until you find a place you like.

Right now my biggest question is what size pack will I need? I'm not entirely rich but I don't want to buy garbage, we don't have any gear and the gear I've used before belongs to distant family.
Been trying to figure out if the REI half dome 2 would fit in an Osprey Kestrel 28. The Half dome 2 says it's 21x7, so theoretically it should, but how much more can I fit in the Kestrel after that? What should I be looking for in a bag?
>>
>>1089678
Okay so Oregon has really clean water, but bring a filter anyways.

1L nalgene bottle each.

Bring 2 ponchos.

Some doggy food.
Some people food.

Extra socks.

Extra top layer of clothes.

Some weed.
>>
>>1089690
Nalgene bottles. Really?
I mean they're sturdy, and great for every day stuff, but fuck carrying that unnecessary weight hiking.
Pretty much agree with everything else.
>>
>>1089697
They weigh 38 ounces with 32 ounces of water in them lol come on bro is 6 ounces that hard for you
>>
>>1089706
Honestly? Nah. I just don't feel like I gain much from using those compared to regular ol' water bottles.
I admit to being a gram counting ultralight fag.
After many years of carrying unnecessarily sturdy gear around, I have realized that the the mantra of "every ounce counts" is true.
But hike your own hike fella.
>>
>>1089715
>hike your own hike
Nobody likes ultralighters because you all say fruity shit like this
>>
>>1089715
Damn you're a pussy
>>
File: IMG_20140803_095409.jpg (108KB, 1808x448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20140803_095409.jpg
108KB, 1808x448px
>>1089690
But what about actual gear? What size pack do I need to pack:
A 94x52 tent (pack dimensions are 7x21)
A footprint
Map and compass
2 compressible pillows
2 sleeping pads
2 sleeping bags
2 Panchos
>2headlamps
>2 3L Reservoirs
>First aid kit
>Storm proof matches
>Zippo Flex Neck
>6-8 Freezer dried meals
>Snacks
>3oz bottle of sunscreen
>Micropur tablets
>50' of cordage
>A lantern
>Enough clothes to last 3 days

Anything we need 2 of can be split into a second pack, or I suppose we could put the 2's all in one pack and everything else in another?

Just need tips on the best way to go about this
>>
>>1089776
Let's just pretend the entire list is green text and get this /out/ train back on it's rails.
>>
>>1089776
Which packs do you have available man?

Or are you made out of money and just going to stop at REI on the way to the woods?
>>
>>1089776
>ultralighter
>2 compressible pillows
Put a jacket in your sleeping bag bag. 0g pillow.

Understand that the east side of the Cascades is fucking dry. You'll need to plan around where you will get water. It's also lovely.

If you want to spend more time on the west side instead, expect rain, rain and probably some rain. Not always, not hard, but frequently. You need gear that is water-PROOF. Water-resistance might keep you/your gear slightly drier for an hour or two, but if you're out for any longer, it might as well be paper.You can find trails in national forest on either side.

How do you plan to cook your freeze-dried meals? Fires? Maybe by October the fire bans on the east side will have lifted, but I wouldn't count on it. On the west side, good luck making soggy wood burn. If you do plan to backpack, understand how to properly store your food at night, safe from bears.

>>1089678
Cascade Lakes highway is gorgeous, will give you some access to water, and is in national forest. There are some established campsites and some gravel roads/trails into national forest where you can camp where you want. With that said, it's fairly high elevation, and it will be fucking cold in October, especially at night.

You're likely to need a northwest forest pass to park anywhere in the national forests all over OR.
http://www.discovernw.org/store_national-forest-recreation-day-pass-national-forests-in-wa-and-or-only_09944.html
There may be exceptions. I haven't paid too much attention because when I lived there and when I've gone through it has been by bicycle, so I camp and park wherever I want, for free.
>>
>>1089907
Anytime I've ever gone /out/ in Oregon I went to the ranger station and asked if I needed permits or anything like that, they always said I'm good to camp for free for up to 14 days, then I just have to move to a different camp.
>>
Why would you buy a backpack to go camping?
>>
>>1089678
>how much more can I fit in the Kestrel after that?
a change of clothes. maybe. 28l won't hold fuckall for a newbie who doesn't know how to pack efficiently, what to leave behind, and has inexpensive, bulky gear. go on craigslist and find yourself a 45l. that'll fit tent, sleeping bag, clothes, food, stove, and have a place to strap your pad. plus 45 is small enough that it will force you to leave some of the ridiculous shit behind.
>>
>>1089678
>>1089952
oh, and make sure you get a pack that's the right size. most good pack companies make their models in multiple sizes to fit different height people, and you'll be fucking miserable if you end up with a small.
>>
>>1089912
I've gone past loads of trailheads that say 'northwest forest pass required'. I couldn't tell you if or where it's enforced.
>>
>>1089715
If you have a [meme-brand] bottle that's fine but its not needed at all.
>>
File: IMAG0125.jpg (1MB, 3024x5376px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0125.jpg
1MB, 3024x5376px
>>1089879
None. Legit have no packs, unless you want to count gf's purse.

>>1089907
Not a bad idea on the jacket, I just figured pillows sounded comfy and compression seemed to take up minimal space, which was more of my concern rather than weight. And thanks for the food for thought.

A coworker recently brought up the fact that if I'm going to a state park and if I pay for a camp site, then I can basically use the car as gear storage, which honestly sounds like the best solution to my concerns. The car will be an insured rental, so I was thinking drive out there, pitch tent, enjoy woods, spend days exploring, and head back to campsite. That means all I really need in a pack would be map & compass, Panchos, sunscreen, first aid kit, snacks and water. (And whatever else I'm missing.)

I'll be looking more into day hike equipment along with a few different park sites, but in the meantime I'd appreciate any input on my thoughts. Obviously car camping isn't exactly a purists' wet dream but it's gonna be her first camping trip, and her first time in Oregon, so I'm not really trying to overcomplicate things. Just a broke southerner looking to be comfy in the woods
>>
File: IMAG0059.jpg (770KB, 5376x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0059.jpg
770KB, 5376x3024px
Also, some other questions about the area:

Does sagebrush in October smell the same as sage brush in summer?

The first two pics were of my first trip out there (shitty camera at the time) and I fell in love with that atmosphere. The dead silence in the night, aside from the coyotes and owls.. the complete lack of mosquitos and shit flying in your face.. the mountains off in the distance shrouding the sun as it sets.. Are there any suggested campsites/public land that look the same or at least have the same effect?

If not, what wildlife can I expect to listen to while I sleep on the greener side of things?

Where can I go shooting that isn't a range?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.