[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Outdoor fiction

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

File: rr.jpg (1MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
rr.jpg
1MB, 1680x1050px
Anyone have any favorite novels with backpacking or other outdoor themes? I recently read The Distance From Me to You....a little sappy, but good.
Looking for some other books to capture the outdoor frame of mind when stuck innatown. inb4 A Walk in the Woods and Into the Wild, already read those...
Novels preferred, but non-fiction is okay too.
>>
>>1088894
Forgot to say, good travel/vagabond fiction would also be welcome. Books like The Beach, The Drifters, etc.
And please don't suggest I ask on /lit/, because they'll just call me a "pleb" and start moaning about "genre fiction".
>>
>>1088894
Hatchet...if you don't mind kids books...also My Side of the Mountain
>>
Jon krakauer's books are really good. Not fiction but written like novels.
>>
File: golden-spruce-cover.jpg (41KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
golden-spruce-cover.jpg
41KB, 500x500px
>>1088894
Not fiction but The Golden Spruce is sort of true crime mixed with a look at the BC logging industry. It's got amazing descriptions of /out/ on Haida Gwaii and in the BC interior. Short read too, I really dug it as a summer book.
>>
File: south.jpg (19KB, 264x400px) Image search: [Google]
south.jpg
19KB, 264x400px
>>1088894
Anything about Ernest Shackleton is pretty good, either his own book, South, or the biographies about him.
>>
File: wild.jpg (35KB, 402x600px) Image search: [Google]
wild.jpg
35KB, 402x600px
>>1088894
>The Distance From Me to You
not fiction, but if you liked that, you might like this...
>>
The Road will make you want to sharpen your skills.
>>
>>1088894
Some Hemingway short stories
Big Two Hearted River is about camping and fishing
The Short Happy Life of Francis Maccomber is about big game hunting in Africa
The Green Hills of Africa is also about hunting in Africa
And of course Old Man and the Sea is about Marlin fishing.

Faulkner had a couple of good short stories about hunting.

James Dickey wrote Deliverance about a canoe camping trip that turns into a nightmare.
>>
File: bloodmeridian.jpg (39KB, 334x500px) Image search: [Google]
bloodmeridian.jpg
39KB, 334x500px
Blood Meridian

Book about a dude who travels across the USA on a horse scalping indians. Just read it bro

Also known as the evening redness in the west. It's a beautiful, violent story.
>>
Anything by Patrick McManus.
>>
>>1090941
Best Cormac imo
>>
>>1090941
Also known as needing a giant 1800s dictionary to understand 70% of any of it.
>>
A Sportsmans Sketches by Turgenev. Its a collection of short stories mostly about hunting. There's one story where the hunter gets lost on the steppe and winds up camping with a bunch of peasant kids herding the village horses to a pasture to graze overnight and they sit by the camp fire telling ghost stories. Very comfy.
>>
File: Blake.jpg (37KB, 301x397px) Image search: [Google]
Blake.jpg
37KB, 301x397px
>>1091036
>>1090941
>>1091019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIQynsWpBpQ
>>
>>1088898
Suttree by McCarthy is about a rich kid who fucks off on a houseboat in 1950s Knoxville. He mostly just fishes and hangs out with Negroes in the Old New South, it's pretty /out/.
>>
>>1092943
Also seconding this
>>1090941
But it is NOT light reading; it takes effort but is a rewarding read.
>>
To a God Unknown
>>
File: images.jpg (55KB, 678x1080px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
55KB, 678x1080px
>>1088894
Whilst he's mainly know for is formulaic fantasy stuff....

High Hunt by David Eddings is well worth a read, if you can find a copy these days
>>
Kino no Tabi :^)
>>
>>1089939
My Side of the Mountain is the best!
>>
>>1088898
Came on here to post The Beach
>>
something i found at the bookstore this weekend,

Notes from the Century before by Edward hoagland.

stories from BC and yukon from the early 1900's
>>
I want to read 4/11 Missing Series while /out, and I probably will.
>>
>>1090463
Is this book really good?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.