[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Acorn Flour

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: acorn.jpg (313KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
acorn.jpg
313KB, 1024x768px
My oak tree has been producing a lot more acorns than usual, so I've been looking into using them for flour.
Anyone on /out/ make acorn flour?
Is it tasty?
I know it's not hard to make, but is grinding acorns into flour worth the effort?
thanks, also pls no bully
>>
>>1087343
I have a few times, as an experiment.
>is it tasty?
It's pretty bland, maybe a little on the sour side if you don't leach it long enough.
>worth the effort
To say you did it in the process of learning a survival skill sure. As a means of using it for routine consumption...eh. Personally if I were trying to do it in volume I'd simply throw the kernels in a food processor now that I did it once the "traditional" way.
>>
>>1087343
MAKE A CAKE FOR THE SQUIRELS
>>
>>1087343
Yeah, but it takes forever. You need to leach out the tannins for a couple of days after you've made it into a flour. Basically, that's just using several changes of water that it soaks in for a couple days. This removes the tannins, makes it less bitter, and renders it so you don't need a kidney transplant.

I recommend getting a grain grinder. Like a Corona/Victoria corn mill.
>>
>>1087351

You need to get familiar with your local oak tree varieties. Some are so low in tannins that the acorns can be eaten raw. Others take seemingly forever to leach all the tannins out.

>t. Be me, my five year old daughter and I fill her wagon upon with acorns
>its called a mast year, all the trees produce a fuckton of acorns at once
>"we're gonna make acorn pancakes forever!"
>boil them on the stove, 8 water changes later, tannins still leaching out, no end in sight
>"to hell with this, where's the Bisquick"
>>
>>1087343
acorns are bitter af dude
>>
>>1087424
but tannins for squirrel hats and bear skin rugs!!!
>>
>>1087424
You have to leach the tannins out by soaking them in several changes of water.
>>
>>1087418
>Some are so low in tannins that the acorns can be eaten raw.

Names? I've never seen nor heard of that.
>>
File: 1485045869753.png (727KB, 1078x916px) Image search: [Google]
1485045869753.png
727KB, 1078x916px
The Native Americans put the ground acorn flour in a cloth sack and left it in a running river for a few days, pretty easy way to do it, if you happen to have access to a river that has clean water in it.

Failing that, here's the beast-mode way to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krSyghUBgp4
>>
>>1087347
Rollerino
>>
>>1087526
Not a bad idea really.
>>
>>1087526
I guess that's one way to change water.

I remember the kid in My Side of the Mountain making acorn pancakes, always wanted to try it.
>>
>>1087456

White oak varieties are milder and less bitter.

>>1087560

Good lord, that book and old Davy Crockett reruns pretty much kickstarted my /out/ obsession and got me into scouting.
>>
File: Condor Dundee Bowie $74.98.jpg (83KB, 725x480px) Image search: [Google]
Condor Dundee Bowie $74.98.jpg
83KB, 725x480px
Some acorn recipies here:

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/survivalist/survival-skills-5-ways-eat-acorns
>>
Don't waste your time playing with acorns. They taste terrible, and will make you sick.
>>
>>1087595
>t. ignoramus
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.