[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Compost Ingredients, Recipes & Tips!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: compostpic.jpg (57KB, 644x544px) Image search: [Google]
compostpic.jpg
57KB, 644x544px
Any Composters here?

Free, bulk sources of compostable ingredients:
- Used coffee grinds (ask local cafe, high nitrogen)
- Pine shavings (ask local pet stores that sell birds CAUTION may contain antimicrobials fed to birds)
- Dry leaves (mulching speeds composting)
- Lawn clippings (contains seeds, mulch compost heavily when used)

General Rules:
- Add a mix of dry (carbon) and green (nitrogen) ingredients to get compost cooking quickly.
- Turning compost speeds decomposition
- Add worms after temperature drops and the pile will start to become worm castings
>>
>>1084982
I am surprised that living in a village, there are households around that own a biological trash can instead of setting up a compost. To me, it just seems like an obvious thing but I guess some people don't want to deal with a compost or something.
When it comes to composting, we don't really complicate things, it's mostly just leftovers that go in there, sometimes leaves too; we don't bother with grass, it just stays where it fell.
>>
Yeah it's pretty simple once you see it break down and do it's thing. Some may be put off if they add too much wet stuff and it forms a stinky pile of aerobic muck.
Where does your compost get put to use?
>>
>>1084982
See the containment thread here: >>1084132
>>
I'm living in a sandy shoreline area ATM and it's taking a crazy amount of compost to produce workable soil. We're talking 50% organic materials, 1% clay composition here.
>>
>>1085040
Mainly on the several vegetable patches and in the greenhouse. We emptied it all out to use it as material for the ground in the greenhouse, mixed it with a lot of grass, leaves and some cow dung that the neighbour traded us.
>>
>>1085054
No, go back to your Mora tapping thread.

Anyone doing lombricompost? I want to start pretty soon and I am lurking forum to get info on it.
>>
>>1085172
do you need a building permit to build a greenhouse?
>>
>>1087421
I assume this can vary greatly from one country to the other so I'd consider looking through the proper legislature. There's probably a certain surface area you can go with. As long as you're friendly with your neighbours, you might be able to squeeze something through even if it isn't 100% following the book.
>>
idk, in my first run the stuff composted too quick, and there wasn't enough material to keep it going. but will keep working at it.
>>
>>1087435
what I need is a metric fuck ton of debris every week our two.
>>
are those premade composting barrels memes
I'm not sure if I should build a square composting box or buy a barrel that's easy to turn
>>
>>1087436
Leftovers aren't enough?

>>1087488
I don't know about barrels, I'm used to seeing plastic boxes. It's probably going to last longer than if you made your own one out of wood, that's for sure. The wood turns into compost itself in a bunch of years.
>>
>>1087527
I heard you don't use leftovers attracts animals. And there is a lot of animals around here. Besides I don't have many leftovers.
>>
How to do it if you're living in a small apartment? Is there no hope for me?
>>
Anybody doing a chicken compost combo? Been eyeing the idea recently.
>>
>>1087618
i guess you could get one of those bags n put it on deck patio space. really you might want to try and rent as house.
>>
>>1087583
Depends on what kind of animals you have roaming around. If they're the right size for cats, it shouldn't be a problem. If you have bears, I don't know, I believe people use metal containers in such situations.
>>
>>1087618
You can use plastic buckets or any container to make compost.
Tear your newspaper into strips, soak, drain and add your food scraps. Not too much of either. Handfull of soil to add microbial life. Mix frequently. It will start looking like dirt soon. Add worms to speed up process (but don't mix).
>>
>>1087819
Eh. Bears aren't a problem to compost piles but can fuck up bins and such.
>bear steals a few scraps
>but craps in the pile
>end up breaking even on organic matter
>>
So aside from leaves, what are some good sources of browns? I'd like to setup a bin so I can try my hand at gardening in the spring, but the leaves wont start falling for a couple of months and I'd like to get an early start if I can so I don't have to wait all winter just to learn that I didn't do it right.
Also, would it be a good idea to make bins out of wire like pic related? I was planning on buying about 30' or so and making three bins that are each a yard across.
>>
>>1088065
Man you can build one out of wire for sure. Bang a stake in and tie it to one side to keep it solid. Great ventilation, no chance of waterlogging.
Layering 10cm of brown/green/brown green helps get things cooking faster. Build pile as large of possible to speed things up (small will still work)
Possible free brown ingredients: mulch (from local tree loppers/Gumtree), leaving green leafy trimmings dry out for a few weeks or torn, soaked newspaper.
>>
File: 49er pepe8.png (229KB, 577x632px) Image search: [Google]
49er pepe8.png
229KB, 577x632px
>tfw 200lbs of coffee grounds from Starbucks because i went evrey day for 2 weeks
>tfw the store let me have the corn husk garbage bag
>tfw mixed that up together and added 2 gallons of my piss jugs
>the middle is hot as fuck !
>>1088065
Get straw bails, only 10bux for a bigone. or get teh corn husk hookup
>>
Anyone have any experience with bio char? My local meat outlet sells the stuff by the bucket and says it helps with compost. Not that it provides anything itself, but rather that it provides a sort of support structure for the microbial life in compost. They recommend mixing it in with your compost and letting it sit for a couple months before using it.
>>
>>1088213
>>1088257
I got the hookup on a stack of old newspapers. I borrowed my grandma's paper shredder and I'm going to shred them up along with last semester's notes. Hoefully that will get me a good pile of material, but if not I'll probably hit Tractor Supply up for a bale of straw. I saw somebody trying to get rid of some year old hay on facebook, but I read that hay is considered green. Anyway, thanks for the advice!
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.