[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Altoids survival kit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_2452.jpg (38KB, 444x331px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2452.jpg
38KB, 444x331px
Do they actually work?
I mean, are they worth carrying them?
>>
I keep a similar set up in my rifle buttstock just in case I lose my pack for some reason.
>>
It's always good to have first aid stuff with you. Altoids tin not essential.
>>
I keep an altoids tin loaded with some basic medicine stuff like aspirin, ibuprofen, claritin, strepsils etc.
>>
File: Drink Bleach.jpg (545KB, 700x1212px) Image search: [Google]
Drink Bleach.jpg
545KB, 700x1212px
>>1084308
>Do they actually work?
>are they worth carrying them?
Depends on what you put in them and what kind of environment you'll be in.

I can tell you right now though... Those fish hooks are too big, that's not enough line, that magnifying glass is too small, those band-aids are a waste of space, that compass isn't any more effective that guessing based on the sun, and if you didn't know all that already there's a snowball's chance in hell you have the skills necessary to make it a couple nights with minimal gear.

But seriously, don't feel bad about that; we were all there once, and if you keep at it, you'll learn what kinds of gear you actually need. Here's what I'd do differently:
Replace the magnifying glass with a wallet-sized fresnel to capture more light, switch to number 10 hooks and at least 100' of 6lb test and 20' of 4lb test line (use the 4lb to tie stone weights so you only lose the weight if you get snagged), lose the knife and carry a better one EDC, lighter too if you'll remember to keep it on you, you'll need a way to purify water, I'd stick a 1gal freezer bag in there and either sterilize it via solar (an hour in full sun if the water is clear, two if cloudy) or make up some bleach packets from a straw with 8 drops in each, lose all the medical crap you have there, you won't die from a scratch and you can't fix anything serious with what's there anyway, maybe carry a couple anti-diaretics and antihistimines if anything. Then make sure you know how to make char (since that's the only real reason to have an altoids tin in the first place), learn how to build a fishing spindle so you can cast into the deep (fish aren't huge fans of being close to shore), and build a shelter (though, I'd try to fit an emergency blanket in there). If you're really clever, you'll slip in a sheet of paper that has pictures and descriptions of edible plants and easy to identify mushrooms, instructions on how to tie knots and other helpful hints.

Sorry for the essay.
>>
>>1084308
Tobbaco.
>>
>>1084324
Beat post about altoid tin kits I have seen. Many Internets for you kind anon.
>>
>>1084308

Never understood this meme. If you have the time to prepare a survival kit for yourself, why not prepare a more substantial one and take away all of the worry?
>>
>>1084343
I would suggest throwing away the Altoids can and buying an AR 15
>>
>>1084308
To be honest it's not necessarily what's in the survival kit it's what you know how to use. If you give a bunch of normies a whole backpack full of camping/survival gear they will probably still die because they don't know anything about the outdoors. If you don't know what's useful to put in the altoid tin or you don't know how to use any of what you do pack (ie compass, some medical meme shit) you might as well not be carrying it at all.
>>
>>1084343

It's meant for EDC, when you don't expect to need it, as a minimal just in case kind of thing. It's what you carry when you aren't carrying a full kit.

>>1084324

Fifth post is best post.
>>
I dont know about survival kits but atleast have a decent first aid kit.
I almost cut my finger off with a brand new axe in a freak accident not to long ago.
Stay safe anons
>>
>>1084501
didn't mean to sage
>>
Just as my $0.02

Survival gear you should look at prioritising to the area you expect to be in, there's not much point in taking fishing gear in the middle of a desert and if you've got time to fish- you've also got enough energy to unfuck your situation by getting out of that location to somewhere for rescue within a reasonable period of time.
Priorities for survival-
>Water
>Shelter
>Small knife
>Fire
>Emergency medical

Food is actually a lower priority to immediate survival, you've got fat and can keep going for a very long time on comparatively little. We're an animal that stores fat for hard times so 2-3 days without food won't kill you- your priority in a survival situation is one objective: get to safety.
Water is a very high priority, without it, you will die so stuff like purifying tablets and a thick plastic bag are literally a lifesaver because shitting your guts from out will dehydrate and kill you very quickly. Shelter is also important, either something like a space blanket, making or finding shelter is important, along with a fire which can signal for help

Emergency medical care I throw in because you do need some kind of bandage, either to support a limb, splint it, compression wrap for snek bites etc. Do you know how to sew? Time to start because a proper stitching (hook shaped) needle and the right thread might mean not being dead. Yeah its icky and its going to hurt, but pain wont kill you- bleeding to death will. Plus if you've got a bandage, that'll also help cover a severe laceration
NB: Allergic to anything? pack some tablets

A small knife, not because you'll be murdering water buffalo with it, but for utility reasons- cutting thread, shiny enough to act as a reflective signal for anyone looking
Compass is also great, but learn to go by the sun. Don't bumble around trying to navigate in the dark unless you have to, you'll fall arse over head and break something, then you will be fucked
>>
>>1084337
>>1084487
>Best post.
Thanks guys! It's always nice to know when my time is appreciated.

>>1084343
>a more substantial one
I did mean to add one more thing: Using a Spam can instead of an altoids tin can give you significantly more room for gear such as an emergency blanket/bivvy and while they're only 12oz, you can boil water in them (however, I do believe they're lined with BPA, so I'd only recommend this during actual survival situations).

>>1084530
>Food is actually a lower priority
There's something to be said for the psychological effects of food though; if gives you hope. Hungry people can get frustrated, discouraged and make poor decisions.

>Emergency medical care
Most people would only exacerbate their condition by trying to treat it themselves, and in many cases or self-treatment, people have passed out mid-procedure. A handkerchief to wrap wounds in is probably as far as most kits should go.

>Shelter is also important
I definitely agree with having a space blanket or bivvy in the same material, for as little space as it takes up, it simplifies the shelter making process significantly.

>one objective: get to safety.
I can't believe I missed that. Probably the biggest survival tip there is: If you're lost, no matter the environment, once you find water, follow it downstream; humans tend to build their towns and cities along rivers, so if follow the water it'll lead to people.
>>
>>1084308
Altoids tins are good for carrying stuff if you like Altoids (I stopped buying them when they changed the recipe) but they're too small for a useful survival kit.
>>
>>1084540
They figured they'd save money if they used cheaper ingredients, people only buy them for the container anyway.
>>
>>1084548
I bought them for the mints and ate them by the handful. Then hipsters discovered the tins, and the mints became sweeter and less pepperminty. At least I've got a lifetime supply of empty tins saved up.
>>
File: 1503172097013173777223.jpg (3MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
1503172097013173777223.jpg
3MB, 2160x3840px
>>1084308
IsayIsay
Sure!
I carry a tin of Altoids in my car for ju...
For just such an emergency
>>
>>1084640
Sorry bruv
Used to use them for ciggies I nicked from my dad when I was in high school
>>
File: foto_no_exif.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
foto_no_exif.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
I used to make these to entertain myself. But the more I got out of the house and realized that water was heavy as shit, the more stuff I had to start thinning out of my pack. And those things are heavy. Instead I carry a small plastic vial with a mini bic, some uco matches, some regular matches, the little striker boards and a button compass that is sealed with electrical tape.

If you really want to make a little kit like that, I would suggest:
Mini bic(careful not to press the valve and let the fluid run out),
matches,
dermasafe knife,
salt and pure honey packets(free at chic-fil-a)
ibuprofen, tylenol, aspirin, and rx medicines
>>
>>1085194cont'd
I don't understand why phones have to turn your pictures crooked like that. I've seen explanations as to why. But it's still dumb.
>>
>>1084640
Get fisherman's friend cough drops.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.