[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Solar eclipse

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

I had a question regarding the eclipse, will you need those money grab moonshades or whatever to look at it directly, or if you have polarized prescription sunglasses can you look at it for like ten to twenty seconds before looking away. Also where I live it wont happen fully, that might be a concern.
>>
>>1083956
Look at the Sun at high noon during a regular day, that is about the same amount of time you could look at the eclipse. You can probably sneak a quick glimpse without issue, but I would be willing to bet that damage will start to occur within single digit seconds of time. Doesn't seem like it's worth the risk, I would buy the glasses or go the store and get a replacement welding lense shade 12 or higher.
>>
>>1083956
>$3 for a 2 pack
>handing them out free at libraries and planetariums
>moneygrab
nasa's in on it to, for their cut. that's the only reason they say you need them.
>>
I already own several pairs of sunglasses, could I just wear two or three of hem at once?
>>
>>1083956
They give the glasses away for free at libraries.
>>
Once its a total eclipse you dont need glasses to look at it anyways, the glasses are for idiots that dont know this
>>
are you sure they are free and plus how much do welding things cost
>>
>>1084041
Unless you are within the area indicated on the map, the eclipse will not be 100% and your eyes will be susceptible to damage if you look at it with out protection for more than a couple seconds.

>>1084065
Good luck finding glasses or welding lenses, I checked 4 stores and the welding supply shop today...all the stores were sold out and the welding shop was completely out of everything shade 9 and higher. I'll probably just be sneaking a couple second peak with my sunglasses on.
>>
>>1084097
forgot the map
>>
>>1084097
>giving up after 4 stores
lol. i went to 10. it only took a couple hours, and it paid off.
>>
>>1084100
Probably just use the welding mask, gonna check a couple more places tomorrow maybe.
>>
Replacement welding mask glass also works. Sunglasses aren't good enough. You can watch the total eclipse but while any part of the sun is visible it'll hurt your eyes. My 7/11 carries them for like $3.

Anybody going /out/ for the eclipse? On my way to Nantahala in NC with some buddies, gonna camp tonight and Sunday and watch from the summit of Blackrock.
>>
File: IMG_6060.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6060.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1084683

Waterrock knob on the blue ridge parkway. No idea how early I'll have to leave. Maybe late Sunday. I don't know how big this will be.
>>
File: IMG_5614.jpg (992KB, 1024x625px)
IMG_5614.jpg
992KB, 1024x625px
>>1083984
My caddy tints to dark we aint need no NASA shades
>>
Just use some welding glass. They are dirt cheap
>>
>>1084683
Drove to the national park in S Illinois for some primitive camping. Sent this from my tent lol
>>
>>1084097
Wow that sucks. I bought a shit ton of glasses for cheap. Many more pairs than I'll ever need for me and my senpai.
>>
>>1084969
Good luck finding any locally, fucking everywhere has been sold out around here for a while because of the eclipse
>>
>>1085395
Jokes on them anyway since they don't work. Just get the free nasa glasses
>>
>>1083956
Why don't you just make a pinhole camera?
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/learn/project/how-to-make-a-pinhole-camera/
Got binoculars or a monocular? Congratulations, you can get a super clear view!
https://whenisthenexteclipse.com/use-binoculars-safely-project-crescent-sun-eclipse/
Seriously, though, don't look at the sun. It's super bad for you.
>>
I found a shade 11 pair of welding glasses, would that be okay to use to directly look at the sun?
>>
>>1085971
I'm wondering what is the point of looking at the sun during the eclipse? Do you see weird shapes and colours like you are tripping?
>>
>>1085395
I bought 5 glasses. They cost 2 dollars total (like 50 cents each) and I only have to visit one store.
>>
>>1086020
During the eclipse you see the corona (the gas eruptions from the Sun) even without the glasses. While looking at the "diamond ring" you should be using glasses.

How is it?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.