[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be Portugal >Already little public parks/forests >Incredible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Forest_fire-MNRF-esize-IMG_6743.jpg (120KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Forest_fire-MNRF-esize-IMG_6743.jpg
120KB, 600x400px
>be Portugal
>Already little public parks/forests
>Incredible dry year/summer with high temperatures, often +40°C throughout almost the entire territory
>Huge lack of civic responsibility from everyone, both population and governmental
>Incredible soft laws
>Big paper industry
>+150K hectares of public and private land burnt
>1/3 of the total burned area of all EU countries
>Preventive state of calamity decreed
>Still mid August and even higher temperatures foresee for this weekend
>+60 deaths
>Hundreds injured
>M€ damages
>Entire villages burnt to thr ground
>+90 people arrested for setting criminal fires alight
What an amazing clusterfuck. Honestly, the only place that is not burning right now is the Atlantic other than that we're a massive barbecue.

Also, thank you Spaniardbros, huge assistance you have been giving to us, if weren't for you it would even be much worse. If NK decides to test an ICBM please feel free to use us as target and end this joke of a country.

Sorry for the rant, /out/.
>>
>+90 people arrested for setting criminal fires alight

Why do they do it?
>>
>>1083226
>Why do they do it?
A small % are legit retards that should be in a mental health facility, the rest are often revenge, and people who directly benefit from the wood and firefighting industry. It's not unheard of having fireman setting fires.
>>
>>1083229
>It's not unheard of having fireman setting fires
Controlled burns, right? RIGHT?
>>
File: bc-wildfires-aug16-1.jpg (144KB, 1169x800px) Image search: [Google]
bc-wildfires-aug16-1.jpg
144KB, 1169x800px
>>1083222
So far this year in British Columbia, the amount of forest burned is greater than the size of Hungary.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3585284/b-c-wildfires-map-2017-current-location-of-wildfires-around-the-province/
>>
>>1083229
>>1083229
>It's not unheard of having fireman setting fires.
This has happened in Canada before. A few years ago some native teenagers set fires just because they wanted to see the water bombers land on their lake...
>>
>>1083236
Nope, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefighter_arson
>>
>>1083236
>A 19-year-old volunteer firefighter was detained by the PJ of Coimbra and is already in custody for having setting five fires with a lighter near his house because he was attracted to the fire and was eager to participate in their combat operations
Not really. This is from last month but happens every year.

>>1083243
Fugg.
>>
I have no firefighting experience and I don't speak Portugese.

Is there anyway I can volunteer to help?
>>
>>1083249
Your European wildfires are babby tier compared to what we get in North America.
>>
>>1083257
>Is there anyway I can volunteer to help?

>Go to fire area
>See property owners defending their homes side by side with firefighters
>Grab the nearest shovel, hose, or bucket full of water and start helping
Seriously, many people save their houses due to only them and their neighbors help and effort. Fuck, even attention whore journalists often help.
There's this queer type (and I say this not in a pejorative way) reporter that go tons of praise, and some criticism too, on social media for his actions on the face of a huge fire. Dude started running offering water to people, walking old locals into safety and even grabbing GIPS (a special firefighting unit) hose to help them move faster. I will post the video later if I can find it.
>>
>>1083259
Except this isn't a competition and even then if we look at proportions it's probably more devastating in places like Portugal. Unfortunately.
>>
>>1083268
I'm sorry your tiny country is burning bud
>>
How intense are the fires? California (probably US in general but I'm not sure) has problems with extremely intense fires that destroy everything because previously forest fires were put out right away and not allowed to burn naturally. Now that we have a bunch of extra fuel on the forest floor fires will destroy even our large redwoods which used to survive most of the less intense fires that they were accustomed to before.

I'm curious if Europe or Portugal used these same forest management techniques.
>>
>>1083293
that was the issue with the For Macmurray fire last year in Alberta. Too much underbrush that would have been burned away by smaller fires fueled the big fire which burned everything, even trees that normally survived wildwires
>>
>>1083264
>I will post the video later if I can find it.

http://www.cmjornal.pt/multimedia/videos/detalhe/reporteres-da-cmtv-ajudam-populacao-a-fugir-de-aldeia-cercada-pelas-chamas

http://www.cmjornal.pt/portugal/detalhe/momentos-dramaticos-em-aldeia-cercada-pelo-fogo

http://www.cmjornal.pt/portugal/detalhe/momentos-dramaticos-em-aldeia-cercada-pelo-fogo

Top lad desu.

>>1083293
you can look at the links above and have a better idea, but generally they burn pretty high since a huge part of our forest is pine and eucalyptus. And our forest management is close to zero.

>>1083281
;)
>>
>>1083293
Yes, same problem.
Nobody picks up deadfall so when it burns it burns bad.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.