[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Metal detectors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

File: 12-14-50-Metal-detector-3393.jpg (85KB, 500x332px) Image search: [Google]
12-14-50-Metal-detector-3393.jpg
85KB, 500x332px
Metal detectors thread.

What do you think of the Minelab X-terra 705? Looking to buy one and go trekking using the same pathways as the Romans of yore in the hopes I'll find some coins. Might also explore old abandoned houses.

Reminder a good metal detector will have differing colours depending on the metal type, depth, general mapping of the shape and so on.

Does /out/ know about metal detectors?
>>
they are pretty good for creeping out women at beaches
>>
>>1083189
Why is this technology so expensive still?
>>
I throw all my ols pennis all over where you guys play with these.
>>
File: humor-devil.jpg (80KB, 440x390px) Image search: [Google]
humor-devil.jpg
80KB, 440x390px
>>1083189
>>
>>1083189
>Reminder a good metal detector will have differing colours depending on the metal type, depth, general mapping of the shape and so on.
Yeah, I find thousands of dollars worth of coins every year with my $50 1980's analog detector just by walking around picking up everything missed by the guys with fancy computerized minelabs and such.

The computers filter out all of the trash and most of the treasure.
>>
>>1083434
>thousands of dollars worth of coins every year
I don't doubt what you say about good old metal detectors, but that dollar amount...
>doubt
How many hours would you say you put into digging holes in a given week? Got pics of your best finds? Average odds (trash:treasure)? Among "treasure," average odds (piddlyshit:$$$)? Where do you dig (nothing too specific, just basics e.g. parks/beaches/docks)? Interested anon wants to know more.
>>
You can find a rusty bottle cap under 4 feet of sand, but you will never find dignity.
>>
File: PA300022.jpg (3MB, 3293x3147px) Image search: [Google]
PA300022.jpg
3MB, 3293x3147px
>>1083443
>but that dollar amount...
I hunt saloon tokens in ghost towns, a single find can easily be worth $300-several thousand.
>How many hours would you say you put into digging holes in a given week?
about 40 in the summer and fall, 0 between November and May. Like a lot of detectorists I'm retired.
>Got pics of your best finds?
Yeah, but I post them here so often people are probably sick of them. Here's a few thousand dollars worth of tokens.
>Average odds (trash:treasure)?
I dig about 100lbs of trash every year for about 1/8th pound of treasure, so about 1:800 by weight. The trash I get is interesting stuff too though.
>Among "treasure," average odds (piddlyshit:$$$)?
about half of what I find is 1800's coins, mostly pennies and nickels but some silver as well. Coins aren't worth much though. I much prefer tokens. So about 1/2. Very rarely I'll find a gold ring, but they aren't worth much compared to tokens either.
>Where do you dig (nothing too specific, just basics e.g. parks/beaches/docks)?
Ghost towns in Colorado that have been searched thousands of times before by other people with detectors.
>>
>>1083453
>saloon tokens
Good shit. I've seen your pics in other threads.
>40 hours
Grats on being retired, I doubt I'll ever be able to.
>Ghost towns
I've always wanted to see one.

You're a lucky old dude, why the fuck are you on 4chan? Hell, I'm 36 and sometimes wonder why I'M still here.
>>
>>1083463
I retired at 32. I'm in my 40's now. Not that old. I've been lurking 4chan since I don't even know when. Long before /out/ existed anyways.

I like the anonymity and usually good conversation. We can talk all we want about whatever interests us and we don't have to meet up or send each other gifts at Christmas. It's nice.
>>
File: a (4).jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
a (4).jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
>>1083463
>I've always wanted to see one
hold on, I probably got pics.

this particular structure was a mine hoist room and also a bunkhouse for the miners.
>>
File: P8020262.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
P8020262.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
>>1083463
here's a more typical shot
just holes in the ground and old stone foundations. Most of the buildings are long gone.
>>
File: P6160008.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
P6160008.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
>>1083463
random cabin
>>
I really want to get into this, since my area has a lot of abandoned stuff that's never been explored as well as unexplored civil war areas. I'm not really sure what detector to get though, any suggestions?
>>
>>1083467
>I retired at 32.
fug who did you sue and for how much?
>>
>>1083702
start with one of garret's cheapo relic hunters. They make a great machine for not a lot of bucks. Once you've found a few hundred dollars worth of stuff you'll have also figured out what you like in a detector and can go shopping.
>>1083704
I bought a business at 30, hired my first employee at 31, put my first million dollars worth of work under contract at 32, hired 5 more employees, and haven't worked more than 40 hours a year since. Currently my company employs 12 people and does between half a million and a million dollars a year in sales.

I make a fairly average salary, I just don't work and have access to extraordinary amounts of credit.
>>
>>1083706

I heard the Garrets are alright but there's a local thrift shop that has an unused Bounty Hunter TK Tracker IV for 90 bucks. From what I've read it's pretty decent but I'm still a bit wary when I drop money on anything.
>>
>>1083714
You can get that same model new in the box for a buck less on ebay.

I have a Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 I paid $350 for about ten years ago. I used it religiously for about five years before I realized I wasn't finding much. So I went back over all the places I detected with a different detector and I found tons of stuff the Bounty Hunter missed.

They're easy enough to use, but they're not great detectors. Their notch and auto-notch settings filter out most of the good signals or make them ghosts. I even found one clod of dirt I had dug the year before but never found anything in- my other detector immediately found a gold ring in it. My Bounty Hunter had hit on the ring but once I dug it the stupid thing stopped detecting it.

they're incredibly sensitive but the computer algorithms are shit.
>>
>>1083714
>>1083720
afterthought-
you may have better luck with them than I did.
I have a buddy that loves his Bounty Hunter. He does pretty good with it.
>>
>>1083720

Alright, thanks! I'm trying to decide between a Garrett ACE 250 and a Bounty Hunter.

The Garrett is only 100$ because the sound only works with headphones.
>>
Alright, I currently live in Tuscany and I'm surrounded by historical sites from prehistory to current age. I was thinking about getting a metal detector which is good for hard soils instead of sand. since I'm an amateur I didn't want to spend much. gibe suggestions
>>
>>1083876
I was never a fan of garrets until a couple years ago.

A friend of mine wanted to try metal detecting so he bought an ACE 250. He watched the little video on how to use it and said he was ready to go.
So I took him to one of my favorite spots, it has a lot of trash but still a good chance of finding coins and such. He had never detected b4 but he stepped out of the truck and immediately started finding treasure with it.

the thing filtered out iron perfectly, and it told him exactly what the target was and at what depth every time. I was really impressed, and I don't impress easy. Only machines I've seen that come close in performance were Minelabs that cost over a grand.
>>
>>1083880
any detector that works in sand will work in hard ground. You just get a bit better depth in sand and less ground tracking.
>>
faggots ruining historical artifacts. I hope you die
>>
>>1084394
It's ok as those artifacts are racist and must be destroyed by good people
>>
>>1084572
they must be extracted by professionals, not fat people with shovels
>>
>>1084585
Why pay communists to dig up artifacts so that other communists can destroy them?
>>
>>1084585
Finders keepers losers weepers fucker
>>
I live in northern va around a lot of civil war battlefields and want to get into detecting. 50 years ago when my grandparents moved here they found some beltbuckles and box plates and shit but my thought was there is newer tech now and the ground has changed what would be a good detector to get for around $100 that isnt a waste of money?
>>
>>1085488
>newer tech
>for around $100
>a good detector
>for around $100
>isnt a waste of money?
>for around $100
why $100 though?
why not $50 or $500?
>>
>>1085609
Im sorry i should have specified $100 is my limit
>>
>>1085915
well $100 won't really buy you anything decent, but you can go on ebay and search for metal detectors under $100. I don't have any recommendations, they're all pretty bad.
>>
>>1086062
Thanks. Ive never done this before and like any hobby i dont want to break the bank on something i might not even enjoy/continue on with
>>
File: received_10211723293852698.jpg (346KB, 1776x1332px) Image search: [Google]
received_10211723293852698.jpg
346KB, 1776x1332px
I've posted my pics a few times on here so I won't bore anyone with them (I'm the British guy).

I swear by my Laser Hawkeye I've never seen a more accurate machine and it's so lightweight you can detect forever with it. My starter machine was an Ace 250 which I think is the perfect starter machine.

>>1083880
I'd go with an Ace 250 desu mate.
>>
>>1087256
personally I love seeing what you've found. You have one of the coolest silver coin collections I've ever seen. I wish I could find stuff like you find.
>>
>>1087820
You should really consider making the journey over here contact one of the club's in advance or something to make sure you have a bit of land in advance, offer to show one of them around your patch.
>>
Currently waiting for my nel tornado coil and a new field one of my workmates is trying to sort out. Know the potential is very big so pretty excited
>>
>>1083702
Do it anon, you will probably find some nice things! Where are you from?
>>
>>1086251
You could always sell the detector if you don't like it.
>>
File: P8260111 (800x488).jpg (331KB, 800x488px) Image search: [Google]
P8260111 (800x488).jpg
331KB, 800x488px
anybody ever use a double D? how'd it go?

Sterling silver pen knife blade I found today. Ca. 1910. Maybe 4 inches deep. Old west Americana.
>>
>>1088374

Northern Alabama! There's a lot of areas near me that have been pretty much been untouched for a long time. I haven't gotten a detector but I explore a lot and find old shit. I found the remains of an WWII land mine in the middle of an old dirt road.
>>
>>1089480
wait, did we mine roads in Alabama during WWII?

Alabama is full of Nazis, but that seems a bit harsh
>>
>>1089487

No, we didn't which makes it even weirder.

It's a tiny dirt road that hasn't been used probably since WWII.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.