[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What to look for in long lasting cookware?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

File: Capture.png (103KB, 407x440px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
103KB, 407x440px
Going winter camping with the lady in CO, and I've usually used dried meats/hard cheeses/non perishable/nontemp foods for eating whenever I go for day hikes or camps solo, but since I've recently come into a food dehydrator, I want to try some dehydrated meals.

I've only got like a 350ml cheap aluminum cup that I've ever used for oatmeal, but have been eyeing the Toaks 750ml for myself for the stews/chili that I plan on prepping for us. Also using the Toaks for boiling water in general.

But are there any other similar or better price/quality products that would allow for her to get her own (She's adamant about buying her own gear, because she wants to do this more than once with me, but she's also buying a bit more gear since she doesn't have as much winter ready kit as I do. I'd like to help her out by finding her a budget friendly pot that way she's not trying to east out of a 350ml)

>tl;dr Are there any better price/quality alternatives to the Toaks 750
>tl;dr What is a good budget one for the girl traveling with me?
>>
>>1082977
Seems a bit expensive that one. Similar alu pots are like 10 bucks cheaper.
>>
>>1082977
>China
Get a Snow Peak
>>
Get titanium

I love my Snow Peak 700 mug

I think there are cheaper brands though, doesn't Toaks make titanium stuff?

darwinonthetrail has some good vids on cheap but decent hear, he talks about it on one of his vids
>>
File: 10238498_zm.jpg (30KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
10238498_zm.jpg
30KB, 1000x1000px
The Titan Kettle from MSR is bretty good. Made by Seagull in Thailand, just the Stowaway Pot. Wide enough to fit on gas, liquid fuel and alcohol stoves.Has a pouring spout and the handle on the lid can be locked in upright position. No graduation markings, though. There's also a larger version called the Big Titan.
>>
>>1083028
I couldn't find anything on amazon by snowpeak with a bail on it. It's not something I think I'd use constantly, but for some reason it's a feature that really appeals to me.

>Doesn't Toaks make Titanium stuff?
That's what pic related is. It's titanium, has a bail, roughly $40.
>>
File: x240-mXI.jpg (33KB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
x240-mXI.jpg
33KB, 426x240px
I've got the Road 750 from OPs picture. It's fine. Lightweight and should last and last. However, while 750ml will boil enough water for two, I doubt it'll cook enough chilli for two.

Mind you, it sounds like you're lady is getting her own set-up to use alongside.

In any case, check out AliExpress for titanium cookware. Loads cheaper than other sites and seem to carry some of the big brands too.
>>
>>1083496
Toaks not Road*
>>
>>1082977
i have the toaks 1100ml pot, has a bail handle and folding one.

I rate it.
>>
File: 225px-Antarian_Native.jpg (8KB, 225x127px) Image search: [Google]
225px-Antarian_Native.jpg
8KB, 225x127px
>>1083496
>aliexpress
Enjoy your 95% aluminum "titanium alloy" pot and high chromium content
>>
>>1083853
Optimist that I am that hadn't occurred to me. Is this actually the case?
>>
>>1082977
Back when I actually used aluminum foil, I had a piece I used for camping all the time that lasted 5 years. It was the thick, "heavy duty" Reynolds stuff. I was just easy on it and since it never tore for a very long time I reused it. I'm not saying that you should be using foil, I'm saying that even cheap ass shit can last a very long time depending on how you care for it. That being said, I'm the 5th owner, in my family, of a cast iron skillet I use for camping and home use (a Wagner from 1922-59.)

Regardless of what you end up getting, I can recommend getting a pie iron. They are great for all manner of things.

>>1084342
Ordering from overseas companies (not from the USA) is always fraught with counterfeits. Aliexpress is mostly shit from China, a country with a huge track record for fake counterfeit products as a way of life and creed. Hence the really dirt cheap prices.
>>
File: 51hmfXDwunL._SL1000_.jpg (50KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
51hmfXDwunL._SL1000_.jpg
50KB, 1000x750px
Anyone got this lil snow peak kettle? I'm thinking between this and a cast iron pan I'd have a decent setup, but a slightly bigger kettle/pot wouldn't hurt.
>>
>>1083496
It's loads cheaper because it is all a bunch of chinese knock off trash made from cheaper and dangerous components.
>>
I ordered most of my snow peak items from snowpeak.com Amazon doesnt carry much and the third parties aren't worth the trouble. This guy has some videos cooking with snow peak cups/pots. skip to 2:36 for demo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aE-RnqiUMl8
>>
>>1084342
Potentially, yes. I've been burned several times, but I've also been pleasantly surprised several times with stuff from aliexpress.
>>
>>1084455
Fuck it, went ahead and bought it. Hope it works out. Does anyone else take cast iron innawoods?

Also, look at this fuckin aesthetic kettle pic related
>>
>>1084495
Im no ultralighter but the UF tents on AliExpress have had really good reviews from that type of (mostly American) /out/ist.

I suppose that where the premium is placed on weight over durability or 'quality', it can work out ok.
>>
>>1084498
Depends on what I'm doing, but yeah sometimes. Every time I go to the Boundary Waters I've got a 12" cast iron skillet in the canoe. Can't beat cast iron for frying up some fresh pike or walleye for a shore lunch. I'm just not gonna carry one on a backpacking trip.
>>
>>1084500
I've bought so much shit off aliexpress it's ridiculous. Some of it's surprisingly good, some of it is chinkshit crap that isn't worth the already-low prices.

Things that have worked better than expected:
>knockoff Crye pants I bought for finishing the basement in my house because they were $11 a pair
They've held up for 6 years of using for gardening after the month of finishing the basement, fit true to size, and generally I can't tell them apart from the 1 pair of real Cryes I have
>some chinkshit Magpul MBUS Pro clones
Actually work well, hold their zero, adjustment increments are true to spec, and were $45 for the pair instead of $130 for the real ones
>some rando $5 fleece pullover
I know it's really fucking hard to fuck up fleece but I'd put it against a $60 TNF or Columbia fleece any day. They actually used (or at least put the label of) Polartec fleece.
>chinkshit clone of the USGI ECWCS mid-weight grid fleece longjohns
These ran a little on the small size (which was noted in the reviews), which worked for me as I'm between a medium and a large. Sewing was fine, again it's kinda hard to fuck up fleece even if it's grid fleece. Very happy with them.
>KastKing braided fishing line
Shit's better than Spiderwire, and almost as good as Powerpro. A known good Chinese brand, didn't really take a gamble on this one.
>>
Thanks for this anon. Might eventually be worth collating /out/ wins for future reference, for the good of the tribe.
>>
>>1084498
Glad you got something with a bail; Once I stopped carrying a stove and started cooking over an open fire exclusively, it became invaluable.
>>
Does anyone use a pot with a heat-exchanger thing at the bottom? I'm shopping for a new pot (the non-stick coating on my old one has worn off in one area). I found this thing with a decent price and I've had one good experience with Primus in the past, so I'd be up for giving them another chance.
>>
>>1087794
I've got a version of that pot that fits the Eta Lite+ stove. I'm really happy with it. It's big enough to attempt proper cooking, and the heat exchanger definitely works. It's too big for me to consider carrying it on a solo hike, but for camping and sharing the stove with one other person it's perfect.
>>
>>1087813
Only thing is that you can't use it on a campfire.
>>
>>1087818
That's cool. I spend 98% of my camping nights where fire is either illegal or enormously inconvenient.

I'll probably either do the 1.8 L old version or splurge on the 2.3 L new one. I've filled my ~1.9 L Winterial pot to capacity a handful of times and if I want to cook real food then I need to worry about volume a lot.

Luckily, bike touring isn't as punishing towards a little extra weight and volume as hiking is. If it was, I'd never be able to carry the ~12 L of water I've needed to spend a day and a half in desert/prairie.
>>
>>1087824
Mine's a puny 1L one, but I suppose it's pretty much functionally the same as the bigger ones. I want to do some biketouring in the future for sure.
>>
>>1087794
I got a 1.1 l version. It is great. The burner and an auxiliary plastic cup fit inside the pot. I have a windshielded Primus gas burner to go with it, no matter where I use it and if the wind blows, it just works and heat exchanger makes things go faster.

I use it for day hikes too even if I am alone. If you are into hunting grams it can feel heavyish but I don't consider it to be generally heavy.
>>
>>1084498
>Does anyone else take cast iron innawoods?
packmule: yes, backpack: no.
>>
>>1082977
Just pick up a couple of lodge cast iron skillets, you'll be set for life
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.