[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's in your stand-by pack for if SHTF?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 10

File: image.jpg (131KB, 930x575px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
131KB, 930x575px
What's in your stand-by pack for if SHTF?
>>
File: 651641651651651321351651.jpg (1MB, 1512x2016px) Image search: [Google]
651641651651651321351651.jpg
1MB, 1512x2016px
>>1082439
Don't have a "SHTF" bag. I have an EDC/truck bag that generally has some tools, my nalgene, extra mags for my CC, light(s), emergency/signal blanket, some matches and/or lighters, pair of gloves, hat, medical stuff, pack rain cover and a lightweight rain jacket for myself.

It changes often though as I'll take it on flights or use it as a range bag sometimes. Might throw in some hand warmers if it's Winter. Might throw in some rifle mags if I have my rifle in the truck. Might throw in some snacks. Might throw in my foretrex 401/map(s)/compass/ranger beads depending on where I am and what I'm doing.
>>
>>1082439
As soon as I get home from a trip, I wash and repack everything so I'm ready to go again at the drop of a hat. Since I have it set up for month-long hikes as a default, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't need anything else.

I'd probably toss a few more jars of powerbait in there if I had to make it last several months or longer...
>>
Bandages, ointment, tourniquet, gauze, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, pain killers, benadryl, matches, 5 bic lighters, road flares, tarp tent, bark river fox river 3v, ferro rod, magnesium block, us map, 1 750ml bottle jack daniels, metal cup, metal pot, duct tape, 100ft 550 cord, gps watch, 10 each M80"s (stun fish if your starving and dont have time to fish them out) signal mirror, shiny heat blanket, camelback water pouch, corona folding saw, plastic bags, Aluminum foil. 2 sporks, mechanix gloves, fenix flashlight, leatherman, this solar radio/usb charger/flashlight /bottle opener,whistle, 2 mre's. Pack of glowstix, soap, ruger gp100, 50 rounds of bear load .357, falkniven cc4,dc4 stones. Throwaway trac phone.
>>
>Tfw when living in the most densely populated country in Scandinavia, and litterally having no place to go if SHTF.
>>
>>1082439
Why does this survival kit have playing cards and earbuds?
>>
>>1082439
>>1083085
No sleeping bag or ground pad, huh?

>>1083091
Because idiots can't prioritize.
>>
>>1083091
Because the Zombie Apocalypse is sluggish and noisy
>>
>>1083085
So the first thing you will do to survive with all this stuff is to find a water source? While you escape to some specific location? Do you have time for this? Do you make brownwater drinkable at the bug-out or next to the water source or do you plan to fill it from the tap?
>>
>>1082439
Enough protien, carbs, and fats to keep me functionally normal while the normies starve. After that, its open season on man meat.
>>
>>1083140
Im surrounded by freshwater that just needs filtering and boiling
>>
>>1083092
>No sleeping bag or ground pad, huh?
The tarp and nature.
>>
maybe if you werent an uncoordinated dumb fuck with mental retardation you wouldn't need to fill 3/4 of your fucking bag with first aid supplies

like how the fuck am i supposed to keep entertained with fucking bandages in the place of my iphone. like fuck off with that shit.
>>
>>1083671
Anyone who spends an appreciable time in the woods knows that you can't rely on natural bedding across multiple terrains, especially when constantly on the move and keeping a low profile. Not to mention the calorie loss of building a new shelter on a regular basis.
>>
>>1083695
I unfortunetly have one terrain until I move back home. I have a shit ton of fallen pine I use for bedding , I run a string between two trees and tarp over it, tents are cool and I do have one but only use it for winter camping and it doesnt get cold enough in the south east US (in my opinion) to use it but I feel closer to nature setting up a bivvie.
>>
>>1083091
Looks like they go with the radio.
>>
>>1082439
Condoms and lube. I live close to a nuclear power plant so no matter what I'm fucked.
>>
>>1083064
You leave your sleeping bag packed all the time?
>>
>>1083905
I only use a sleeping bag in the winter, the rest of the time I use a bed roll that doesn't compress, so it's a non-issue.
>>
File: IMG_3075[1].jpg (758KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3075[1].jpg
758KB, 1600x1200px
I've been thinking of packing a bug out bag.
It'd be mostly for bushfires, but I might as well make it general purpose. It'd be for 2 or maybe 3 days if I had to leave the house with zero warning.

The stuff I've been thinking of putting in it:
>Wool blanket
>Wool thermals (long-sleeve top and bottom)
>Cotton change of clothes and a jacket
>Few pairs of socks
>Beanie
>Food (MRE type stuff, equivalent of around two rat packs)
>Water (probably 2L, in a dry summer I might up it to 3L)
>Tarp + cordage
>Knife, maybe a multi-tool as well
>Matches + fire starter + cotton wool
>Basic cookware (probably just a billy and a spork)
>First aid kit (haven't decided what I'd put in it yet)
>A couple of pocket packs of tissues
>Miniature travel toothbrush+toothpaste
>Money
>Compass and a map of the local area
>Might pack a few handgun mags and some ammo, but then I'd legally have to put a padlock on the bag

Anything else I should add? Pic related is the kind of environment near me.
>>
>>1083088
Build a submarine, go inna ocean.
>>
File: edc.jpg (128KB, 634x703px) Image search: [Google]
edc.jpg
128KB, 634x703px
>>1082439
>>
>>1083091

What are you going to do while you're in the middle of the fucking woods hiding from zombies and/or aliens? Need to have something simple to pass the time.
>>
don't forget your gold coins, you don't want to be in the middle of nowhere trying to shave gold of a full bar.
>>
one set of batteries, you might as well commit supaku right now.
>>
>>1086668
>t. No gold Target stocker
>>
>>1086668
If you ever get to the point where you want to shave pieces off gold coins, you would have probably been better off investing in ammo.
>>
>>1086607
Does anybody actually play with cards to pass the time though?
I've never met anybody who says "Yeah, I just sit at home and fucking play Patience all day".

I bet 90% of the people who pack them into their bags don't even know how to play a single card game.
>>
>>1086826
I definitely prefer cards in a social setting. Solo cards is pointless to me. Would rather whittle or stare into flames and just be.
>>
>>1086563
I'd lose all the cotton and go full wool/synthetic, probably switch the wool blanket for a synthetic sleeping bag. MRE-type foods tend to be on the heavy side, I'd go for more dehydrated foods. If you already use a tarp keep it, but if you're used to using a tent, go with what you know. As far as fire starters go, I've had the best luck with wax-soaked makeup pads. A BIC lighter is going to be better than matches every time. Depending on your area, it may be a good idea to only carry enough water to get you to a water source and filter or bleach what's there. The only thing I can see that you're really 'missing' is a ground pad. Sure, you can improvise or go without, but neither is a really good option if you can carry one. All in all, I'd say you're probably carrying too much; if you're expecting three days then a bedroll, a water filter, cook kit and fire kit are all you really need. A change of clothes isn't even necessary for that short of a time.
>>
>>1088618
>lose the cotton
I've never seen a wool T-shirt or anything, but yeah - it's an option. Definitely no synthetic since it's a bushfire kit first and foremost.

>Lose the blanket
The blanket's probably the most important thing there, or tied with the water. If you're in a car and you get trapped by a fire you're supposed to crouch down in the footwell and cover yourself with a blanket until the fire goes past. Same deal with wearing wool thermals and a beanie.
>>
File: RTS17KUN-1-1024x723.jpg (140KB, 1024x723px) Image search: [Google]
RTS17KUN-1-1024x723.jpg
140KB, 1024x723px
>>1088757
>If you're in a car and you get trapped by a fire you're supposed to crouch down in the footwell and cover yourself with a blanket until the fire goes past.
that's moronic the car will be like a furnace anything inside will catch flames and even if by miracle you don't burn to death you are killed by smoke.
>>
>>1088759
Be honest here, have you ever even been to Australia?

http://www.latrobe.edu.au/education/downloads/bushfire_safety.pdf

It's about radiant heat. Obviously if your car catches on fire you're fucked, but you should still try and improve your chances.
>>
>>1088762
i remember standing 3 meters from a bonfire was unbearable. you would need a big fucking clearance for this to work. and you could still be better served by reflective mylar blanket out on the ground not cooking inside a car.
>>
>>1088768
Cars have insulation senpai. You're putting barriers between yourself and the source of the radiant heat.

I love getting advice from people on 4chan who have literally never even stepped foot in the continent where this stuff occurs.

In other news, the best way to survive that hurricane you guys are about to get hit with is to stand outside with no clothes on.
>>
>>1088768
My guess is that either:
A) This only work for fast-moving brushfires where it'll be over and past the vehicle within minutes.
B) It's like the "duck and cover" propaganda for Atomic bombs, really just to make people calm before they get roasted to death.

Probably a combination of both.
>>
>>1088772
Yeah, fire fronts usually pass in about 10-20min.
I'm not talking about being directly inside the fire, by the way. I'm talking about when it passes nearby you.

I'm genuinely astounded that there are so many people who hoard tens of thousands of rounds of ammo for a zombie apocalypse, but don't know how to survive something as common as a bushfire.
>>
>>1088774
Probably because most people on /out/ are Americans who camp in heavily treed areas where fires spread slower and last for weeks or months.

Zombies are a credible threat by the way. I'm actually kind of surprised that some rogue government hasn't released a modified rabies virus into the wild yet.
>>
>>1088778
Quick reminder that "zombies" is a codeword for niggers.
>>
>>1086563

I'd consider a shemagh. Can be used for multiple things and takes up little space/relatively lightweight.
>>
>>1088815
>Multiple things
Are any of them useful though?
>>
File: 20170824_175939.jpg (5MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170824_175939.jpg
5MB, 4032x3024px
I have a few, my grab bag I have with me wherever I go pretty much, and a truck bag+small toolbox I keep in the back of my 4x4.
Grab Bag:
>Snare wire
>~50' rope, give or take
>plastic rain poncho for shelter
>mylar blanket
>small compass
>LED flashlight with extra batteries
>first aod kit (which mainly consists of dollar store roll of gauze, bandage, antibiotic ointment, and a fuckton bottle of aspirin )
>my knife on the MOLLE attatchments outside as well as my Baeofeng handheld
>several matchbooks in a ziploc bag+ bic lighter just incase my zippo is out
>cotton ball+firestarter gel mixture in ziploc bag
>6 granola bars
>2 bottles of water
>Sawyer mini filter
>~8 inch section of bike innertube for ranger bands
My truck kit has most of that +
>jumper cables
>flares
>much more matches
>bottle of firestarter gel
>tarp+ milsurp wool blanket
>solar charger+batteries
>2 gallons water
>2 bars of that nasty ration bar shit
>>2 boxes granola bars (luv me some granola bars)
>more stocked first aid kit (more rolls of gauze and bandages, torniquet, disinfectant, antibiotic ointment, tampons and maxipads, rope, basic suture kit, very very basic field surgery kit, ungodly ammount of painkillers, stome medicinal whiskey just cuz, ice and heat packs, 3 epipens, cold medicine, nice little red cross on the bag)
Tool kit
>ratchet with a set of sockets for the most common/likely/serious things I need to get to and an extender
>copper wire
>wire connectors
>wire cutters/strippers/crimpers
>extra fuses
>1L bottle of oil
>smaller jumper cables
>screwdriver with interchangable bits
>2 extra headligh/tail light bulbs
>1' bike tire innertube for ranger bands
>clamps for hoses of various sizes
>bic lighters
>flashlights and a headlamp
>gloves
>electrical tape
>tire patch kit
>car charger powered air compressor
Depends on if im usijg my grab bag or not where these will be
>pipe pouch
>raifu and ammo
In addition my EDC is my phone, pocket knife, and zippo
Pic related is my usual area
>>
>>1086563
For a first aid kit remember that the best piece you can pack is knowledge of first aid. If you dont know much past that stick to the basics
>dressing
>disinfectant
>bandages
I also pack a bit of idiot proof meds like aspirin, ibuprofin, and an epipen if you can incase you or someone in your party is getting killed by killer allergic reaction. Use sparingly, dont give someone painkillers for basic bumps and bruises if youre low (besides popping meds just cuz doesnt do any good and can be bad in some cases) dont administer if major blood loss is happening/has happened, read up/learn how to administer care.
Take a first aid course and learn to treat basic trauma and hypothermia and dehydration/its related conditions like heat stroke, these two are the most common things you'll encounter.
Tampons and maxipads make good wound dressings and packing too if you need it, in case you fall down the mountain side and impale your bicep on a branch or get stabbed by a drugged up moonshiner
>>
>>1088780
This. Also, white trash tweakers, spics, wiggers, antifa, brainwashed government puppets.
>>
>>1082439
Stay home.
>>
>>1088770
>Cars have insulation senpai.
have you ever sit in a car out in the fucking sun (something we are pretty equipped to handle normally) for more than a minute? after 10 minutes it gets lethal. and that's just harmless sun shining on the car. it's retarded no matter how i look at it you could as well dive into a hot over from the fire.
>>
File: 1498362776432.png (773KB, 1020x1020px) Image search: [Google]
1498362776432.png
773KB, 1020x1020px
>>1082822
>ranger beads
thank you for letting me know that this exists
>>
>>1082439
I just have a few guns and a neighborhood full of shitlib hipsters, I'll just rob them of their various organic foods and medicines when SHTF. Starting with my neighbor with the anti-2A bumper sticker on his car, basically advertising to the world that he's defenseless.
>>
>>1089229
>10 minute and it's lethal
And how long do you think it would take to die when there's a fucking bushfire next to you?

Why are there so many people who think they know more than every single authority on a subject just because it seems counterintuitive to them?
>>
>>1090040
again if you read my post, the alternative is to find a clearing get out of the car lie on the ground and cover yourself with a reflective blanket. i absolutely guarantee you will cook much less than in a fucking deathtrap of a car.
>>
>>1090041
You're describing a fantasy situation that literally never happens.

And when you say "find a clearing", what you meant to say is "find burned ground". Because grass burns faster than trees you retard.

>I know more than everybody who's actually qualified to have an opinion!
>I know this because I saw a photo of Australia once!
>>
>>1090041
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxG1sUxR_6c

Better tell these fireys to get out of the truck and lie down on the ground, they clearly don't know what they're doing.
>>
>>1090045
oh wow a specialized vehicle with applique heat-shield behind windows actually works... yeah try that with your moms car!
>>
>>1090042
obviously i meant a clearing with no grass (or any flammable garbage) you retarded cuck. it can be dirt gravel mud ideally in a ditch or already burned grass. use your brain!
>>
>>1090067
So you mean basically lie down in the middle of the road?

Tell me anon, why do you think you know so much more than literally every person with any kind of experience or knowledge on the topic? Is there actually a reason for it, or do you just hate being wrong?
>>
File: bushfires[1].jpg (96KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
bushfires[1].jpg
96KB, 650x366px
>>1090067
>Just lie down in a clearing anon!
>You'll be fine!
>>
>>1090068
find the biggest clearing you can the farther from any large vegetation.

if you don't have a big clearing start a counter fire and make one like any sane person.

stop being retarded!
>>
>>1090335
>Stop being retarded!
>Just because your entire country gets this shit every couple of years and I've never even heard of it happening in my area doesn't count!

In the time it took you to wander around finding a clearing or trying to backburn, you could just turn around and drive home.
I don't think you realise what we're talking about here - bushfires can travel at over 100km/hr.
>>
>>1090689
my car can travel at over 160km/h so yeah it's only a debate in case you are surrounded by fire.

if there is a prevailing wind you can easily make a clearing devoid of fuel by starting a fire or you can block the path of fire by starving it of fuel by starting a counter fire on the roadside. your counter fire will be smaller than the bushfire coming you will survive the radiating heat for long enough that's the principle.

but trying to weather a fire in a fucking oven that will heat to excess of 200 degrees in about 45 seconds is retarded.
>>
>>1091273
>Now saying you can drive fast enough to escape a fire
You're just reciting the list of things you're not supposed to do, aren't you?

I bet you think you should wear a singlet and board shorts too, since it's hot.
>>
>>1091273
By the way, just FYI: the radiant heat can burn you from 100m away.

Good luck making a 100m radius clearing.
>>
>>1091280
>the radiant heat can burn you from 100m away
in a nuclear explosion yeah
>>
>>1091463
And in a bushfire, if you trust the authorities.
Which you apparently don't.
>>
File: 1503755605805.jpg (76KB, 838x559px) Image search: [Google]
1503755605805.jpg
76KB, 838x559px
>>1088780
I can't believe people don't know that.
In the USA luckily your zombies will die out when the last supplies from KFC and grapesoda are over,in europe we have more resilient kinds used to living in the savannahs so we will need to wait for winter chan in the north and have a huge hunting ground in the south.
Damn fucking zombies craving for brains and shiet
>>
>>1091736
on some horribly huge fire and exposed skin maybe if you wear a reflective blanket it's a few meters not a hundred.
>>
>>1086826
Cards and drink was all men had back in the day, especially if they were on the job somewhere remote without any women around.
>>
>>1091960
cards are good enough if you got company but the dice is even better as it is cheaper and more durable than the card. pretty sure it was more mainstream.
>>
>>1091960
>>1091974
>Not bringing a single lego figurine(compact/tactical af) to play with creating your own autism fueled universe to play in while the rest of normal fags are cold,scared,have probably lost family members and are miserable overall.
>fucking plebs...
>>
>>1092233
Fantastic
>>
>>1083140

Maybe he lives in a area like WA, that's covered in small streams, rivers, lakes, etc.
>>
File: sw053.png (127KB, 246x380px) Image search: [Google]
sw053.png
127KB, 246x380px
>>1092233
You're a genius
>>
>>1092233
Why not like 3 or 4? Give them all personas and have laugh filled social nights while monsters hunt normies in the dark.
>>
>>1092233
To be fair, a Lego figure or two would go a long way to help a mourning child. But I guess that is too meta-prepping.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.