[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Coolers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

Ozark Trail
Yeti
Rtic
Coleman?

What's the deal. I hear Ozark is decent for money and Yeti is overpriced. All perform generally the same, Anyone have direct experience owning any of these. What should I go with for car camping?
>>
File: 1501107116099.jpg (93KB, 750x736px) Image search: [Google]
1501107116099.jpg
93KB, 750x736px
>not even mentioning Orion
Pleb.
>>
>>1081940
that's why I am asking faggot

provide input or gtfo
>>
Whatever you have? If you don't have one get a Styrofoam cooler until you figure things out.
>>
>>1081934
Igloo Sportsman 55qt. I have 2 of them and a Yeti 75. The Igloo actually holds ice (slightly) longer and costs half as much.

You can also lock it with a regular padlock and lock it to things with a regular bike lock.
>>
>>1081934
i have a yeti bolted into the back of my jeep. its bretty GOAT
>>
>>1081944
ORION IS A GOOD ONE

Yeah but really I have never seen one. I do know that back in the day when Yeti was the only option they were fine stuff is a guy had need to one. Nowdays there are shitload of excellent ones at much lower cost. I have a Cabelas branded one and also an RTIC and have no complaints.

Just look at the hinges and latches and make a judgement call as to whether they'll hold up, and go. They all keep ice long time.
>>
I have a ten-year-old Coleman that I probably paid 20 bucks for new. Never had any problems with it. If I'm on a multi-day car camping trip, I put dry ice in the bottom.
I don't really understand the Yeti craze. A cooler is a cooler. Mine has cupholders in the lid, which I like.
>>
File: IMG_0185.jpg (109KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0185.jpg
109KB, 720x720px
>>1081934
I have a 52 quart Ozard Trail cooler. That thing is a beast. Take it to the beach all day and still barely any melted ice, even though people were going into it and grabbing shit all the time. It can also take a beating so it'll last you a long time.

Only two issues:

1. If you leave that cooler full of ice and closed over the course of several days, a small amount if condensate will develop on the outer part of the drain cap.

2. When opened in hot weather, hot air will stay in it and be quickly cooled once the cooler is closed. This will cause a pressure drop due to the sealed nature of the cooler and a negative dP. It will be nearly impossible for your average 100 lbs woman to open it, need to teach them to crack open the smaller drain cap to equalize pressure.
>>
>>1081934

I have the Rtic 65 and the Softpack 30. Both are excellent. I just used them for car camping (Rtic 65 for big stuff and softpack 30 for traveling around). I had previously used an Igloo (small) and Coleman (large) for car camping. In ~90deg, low humidity, I was using a bag of ice a day and this is with the Coleman chest in the shade most of the time (similar to the wheeled "Performance"...older model). The Rtic 65 could sit in the same conditions in direct sun for at least half the day and one 10lb bag of ice would last 3 days. Note: I had the inner-divider so I could keep the ice on one side.
>>
I have a 35qt Engel and it's good for the price.

I have no need for an xbox hueg 55qt or whatever
>>
>>1082081
Of course you do, Barbie.
>>
I like canyon coolers
>>
I'm really enjoying this thread, coolers are just so wonderful and under appreciated. For instance I have a largeish blue colored cooler that I can put stuff in to insulate it from the surrounding environmental conditions, whatever they are. Don't know the brand though. Should I? It's just a cooler so its not like it matters unless I'm trying to sell you the stupid thing. I also have several smaller coolers one of which is pink unlike the others that are not pink. I also have thermos's? thermoses? Well whatever none of them are pink or blue so.
>>
>>1081934
Coleman coolers are like the old Volvo's and Honda accords. for some reason they can just stay on the road forever. not the nicest or the prettiest but they last forever.

is this for beers while car camping, short walks to the beach? carrying lunch? moiving fish? long treks? i would find a size you like and then look at the brands that offer your size.
>>
>>1082465
that's a cool passive aggressive undertone you're using and all but being uniformed and unintelligent isn't cool, esp. in the "age of information".

some people enjoy buying quality stuff. sometimes these quality things keep drinks and food closed on longer outings.

i'm not even into coolers i use ones similar to the ones you describe in your post.

why is everyone on this board against using quality shit...why is the same old milsurp shit gear shilled here. i'm assuming because it's a lot of underage posters who have yet to make/save up coin to purchase quality things???
>>
>>1082515
If you enjoy buying quality stuff to go on Real Adventures you should purchase an Apricoat.
>>
>>1082515
>why is everyone on this board against using quality shit...why is the same old milsurp shit gear shilled here
Because they're poor. Either as you said they're young and don't have a steady income, or they're NEETs and refuse to have a steady income.

Like most things in life, the ratio of quality to price is a logarithmic curve, with the best value (quality:price ratio) being in the lower third of the curve. This means that while yes, expensive stuff is (generally, there are ALWAYS outliers) better than cheap stuff, it's not linearly better. A $250 cooler is not going to be 5 times better than a $50 cooler, it might be 1.5x better.
>>
Yeti a shit
>>
>>1082517
why would i buy that jacket? what constitutes a "real adventure"

>>1082524
higher price doesnt always equal better quality. but most of the time it does.
>>
>>1082515
>why is everyone on this board against using quality shit
Because its mostly overhyped subpar useless garbage, excluding the stick snapper of course that's real quality.

>posters who have yet to make/save up coin
At least those people actually go outside.
>>
>>1082545
please tell me what products are overhyped that don't live up to their pricetag?

i spend decemt amount on my gear and i go out

another cool post
>>
>>1082552
Starcucks
>>
>>1082542
Thank you for vaguely parroting exactly what I said while trying to use it as a point of contention with what I said.

Faggot.
>>
>>1082552
>>>1082545
>please tell me what products are overhyped that don't live up to their pricetag?

Yeti, that fucking phone charger stove, and Mossy Oak clothing. Also cliff bars.
>>
>>1082567
i was in agreement with you. my post however was made so it didn't seem like it was written by a troglodye trying to pretend like he doesn't mouth breathe
>>
>>1082573
>Mossy Oak clothing
>not living up to its price tag
Nigger it's literally the cheapest camo clothing available on the US market. There's a reason it's found at places like cardboard shipper bins at Walmart and has MSRP's of like $4.99 for a tee shirt.

And yes, a $5 Mossy Oak branded tee holds up just as well as anybody else's $5 tee. In fact they're generally MORE durable than shit like the Hanes 3-packs of undershirts, which usually cost a little more anway.
>>
>>1082573
yeti coolers work, maybe look into them before writing them off.

i don't know anyone who hikes or wears mossy oak clothing, real tree is where its at.

as for clifff bars, buy them in bulk. they're much cheaper purchased in larger quantities. they're also a very convenient source of nutrients on the trail.
>>
>>1082411
that hurt
>>
ORCA made in USA lifetime warranty 3" insulation, plus the pod soft backpacks are nice
>>
if car camping look into pelican. very heavy very solid great cooler. I have a white 65 quart
>>
>>1082579
>yeti coolers work
My buddy has one...paid 450 for it. Keeps ice a little longer than my 20 dollar Coleman. So yeah, they work. They just don't work better enough to justify their price.
They're a total meme. It's a triumph of marketing, don't get me wrong. Mad respect to their sales department. Hell, my local Ace Hardware is even selling Yeti trucker hats and thermoses. They have a two-dollar keychain bottle opener you can buy for twenty bucks, too.
>>
>>1082515
I rarely drop this on /out/ because it's not needed but I'm an attorney and I do way better than alright. Could I buy some stupid gimmick cooler for 300 bucks that charges my phone and has a built in water sprayer off some VC companies website? Absolutely. But it would be dumb when I can get a colman that does everything I need from a locally owned outdoor store for 20 bucks and leave with a list of the best spots nearby.

Also Every time you add useless fancy shit to a product you add something that can fail. That's why most of the best top of the line products avoid usless fancy shit.

Don't get me wrong I'm a mountain hardware fanboy when it comes to outer layers. My 55L pack is siiiick. I have the best socks. But on some thing like cooler- why the fuck do you need to upsell yourself?
>>
>>1083647
>keeps ice a little longer than my $20 Coleman
>a little longer
I've got a Yeti 75. It's heavy, ridiculously overbuilt (I do not need a "certified bear resistant" cooler), and I hate the fact it's got a proprietary bracket to allow you to lock it to shit instead of being able to run just a regular bike lock.

But holy shit does it keep ice. I use it for hunting out West specifically because it's the single best insulated cooler I've ever used. I can go shoot an antelope in the middle of Wyoming in 90* weather, throw it in the cooler after quartering it, throw a single bag of ice still in the bag on top of it, and make the 2.5 day drive home without even really having any meltwater in the bottom fucking up the meat much less having all the ice melt.

When I was still using my old Igloo Marine 90qt cooler I would have to buy dry ice from a meat locker in Wyoming, then stop in Iowa and buy more. A full bag of ice would be completely melted in about 10 hours. And that was better than my previous Coleman Extreme, which would have a bag of ice melt in about 7 hours.

Now. Are there Yeti knockoffs that exist now that are every bit as well insulated, but aren't as expensive or have proprietary lock brackets? Fuck yes. The Igloo Sportsman is one, $150 for a 55qt instead of $400 for a comparably sized Yeti, and it actually has a couple improvements over the Yeti (such as an insulated, tethered drain plug and the ability to lock the lid with a regular padlock)
>>
>>1082515
>that's a cool passive aggressive undertone
Thanks that's so sweet.

I just looked and my blue cooler says rubbermaid and the pink one says mini mate by igloo on it so there now I'm whore too.
>>
>>1082579
>>1082573
Cliff bars aren't even the expensive bars you fucking idiot, it's like you don't even /out/
>>
>>1081934

Who needs a store bought cooler...just take some ice from your underground larder....wrap it in maple leaves and saw dust stick that in your deerskin satchel et voila!
>>
>>1083816
Thanks for replying. I had no idea you couldn't use any old lock on the Yetis. I've seen several construction/landscaping trucks around here with Yetis in the back, and I've always wondered
1. why they spent so much on a cooler
2. aren't they worried it's gonna get stolen

Sounds like you've had a good experience with yours. I'm surprised you've had to buy dry ice twice in 2.5 days, no matter how cheap the cooler, though. One thing I always do for longer camping or festivals is have two coolers. One will have dry ice in the bottom and I'll layer bottled water over that. When those are frozen, I'll move them to the other (high-use) cooler and throw more water in the dry ice cooler, and just keep rotating. One package of dry ice usually lasts me 4 days at the height of Southern summer, and that's in a really crappy cooler.

I'll look into the Sportsman, thanks for the tip! Is it any lighter than a Yeti? I'd also like to see and handle an Orion, out of curiosity. I've owned a couple Jackson kayaks, and they're made by the same folks, so I would expect them to be of good quality, but they're just about as expensive as Yeti.
>>
>>1082209
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably get the Ozark trail 55. I just need some shit that can hold ice for a few days.

I have cheapo Coleman as well but prefer not filling it with ice every day. Yeti is ridiculously overpriced.

Looks like a lot of ppl on this board are poor faggots. I mean, yea I'm all for milsurp and shit but I'm talking about wally world shit here. Not fucking REI libcuck pizza makers for going out.
>>
>>1084062
You can lock the lid on a Yeti, it's got 2 holes at the front corners, but you'll need a long-hasp lock for it instead of a regular padlock (Yeti sells a rebranded long-hasp Masterlock brass padlock for $20 when you can buy a 3-pack at Home Depot for $12); and it's got this rectangular cutout on one side to accept an L-bracket with a hole in it that you then run a cable lock through (bike/treestand, Yeti sells a rebranded Masterlock Python which is a "treestand" lock for $5 more than an actual Masterlock Python) instead of just having a round hole you can run a cable lock through like an Orca/Igloo Sportsman/several other not-Yeti's.

The Igloo isn't any lighter than a Yeti, pretty much all of the roto-molded coolers are gonna be within a couple ounces of each other because all it is is a roto-molded shell over styrofoam. It's a fantastic design, bombproof and extremely well insulated, but it IS heavy. If you need light but don't need durable buy a disposable styrofoam cooler from wherever sells bagged ice, they work almost as well.

I would never pay full retail for a Yeti, they are overpriced (I won my Tundra 75 in a Ducks Unlimited raffle while trying to win a shotgun)

Yeti sizes do not reflect their capacity, unlike all other coolers. A Tundra 75 (or any other size) does NOT have a 75 quart capacity, it's closer to 60 quarts. The Igloo Sportsman 55 holds 55 quarts on the dot, and has close to the same internal capacity as a Yeti Tundra 65. I swear they just pulled random numbers out of their ass.
>>
>>1084062
Whoops, totally forgot to address the "why 2x dry ice" question.
1. I'm trying to chill down an animal that was alive within an hour of it going in the cooler (so at least 90-95*F meat temperature), ideally actually freezing it, because I've got a 2.5 day drive to get home
2. Wyoming is generally SUNNY AS FUCK, when the cooler's in the bed of my truck under the topper it's got an ambient air temperature around 20-30 degrees higher than outside the truck. If it's 90*F outside, the cooler's baking at about 110-120*F. Pretty extreme demands on the cooler. This would be far less of an issue if it were in the cab or if I had something like an SUV where the cooler was somewhere climate controlled while the truck was running.
3. While antelope are certainly on the smaller size of "big game", a quartered antelope JUST BARELY fits in a Tundra 75. Not a lot of room, so I'm usually buying 1-2lbs of dry ice instead of 5+
>>
>>1083935
What time of wood are you using for that saw dust? Might be able to save a few grams of weight by going with a softer wood.
>>
>>1081934
Igloo sportsman is good value. Pelican is best made, real latches, lockable, lifetime warranty and cheaper than Yeti.
>>
Just came back from a cabin camping trip for Solar Eclipse. Spent a week innawoods with no resupply. My friend bought his fancy pelican-style Yeti with secure hatches and shit and the ice melted within two days. My trashy igloo 70qt from 2005 with paracord for handles and cracks everywhere outlasted everyone of my friends coolers. Eric, Yeti, you name it.

I don't even know the model of this cooler. All I know is my pops salvaged it from a boat and it (was) pure white all over.
>>
>>1087508
Eric -> Rtic
I'll post a picture of it when I get back from work.
>>
>>1087508
It is probably an Igloo Marine.

They're one of the better non-rotomolded coolers.

I don't believe for a second that the Yeti/yeti-clone your buddy had didn't outlast it unless he either used a scant fraction of the ice or was in it 100x more than you were in yours.
>>
>>1087540
It definitely melted way quicker than mine, his was the food cooler that was opened 3 times a day and mine was the beer cooler that was opened a fuckload more.

His was smaller than mine, probably 20qt but half filled with ice as was mine. I don't know what to tell you man.
>>
>>1087596
Tell him you were exaggerating or lying and get it off your manboobs
>>
>>1087508
The nicer coolers keep ice longer if the cooler isn't opened/closed constantly.

I've got a big 55L that gets all loaded up and ready for a week+. Prep it by throwing a bag of ice in there a week earlier to cool off the inside, so when you load the ice and refrigerated items the cooler's already cold.
I've got a smaller 25L that I restock from the big one once a day.
The big one holds ice for a week+. Little one doesn't because it's opened/closed frequently.

For those coolers you're treating like a camp refrigerator, it doesn't matter if you've got a high-dollar or a cheap coleman. Opening/closing it letting in that heat every time is what kills the ice in there.

lrn2cooler.
>>
>>1087596
>10 quarts of ice melted a fuckload faster than ~40 quarts of ice
Well no fucking shit. Insulation isn't magic my man.
>>
>>1084610
Throwing a sleeping bag over a cooler in my experience gives a lot of extra oomph. I keep a down blanket that serves triple duty as emergency blanket / cooler extender / yeti theft prevention.
Sorry if thats common knowledge but I had to figure that shit out myself.
>>
File: Snapchat-1858755600.jpg (383KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-1858755600.jpg
383KB, 720x1280px
>>1081934
I've been using the Ozark trail cooler for 2 years now and I really like it. It's strapped down on my atv every weekend, left in my jeep or the porch during the week. Been on boats. Been used as a chopping block for food processing while camping. Shot rifles off of it. You name it, it's been through it. Really great cooler for the $99 I gave for it. I normally put ice in it early Saturday and it keeps everything cold until Wednesday during the summer if I leave it in a out building. By Wednesday the ice has melted into very cold water. My friends have pelicans, cabelas, and yetis, and my cooler holds ice just as long as there's and has been treated alot worse. That being said, the cabelas cooler is hands down the nicest cooler I seen. Really like how the handles are molded into the body of the cooler. Doing so makes strapping it down on a atv or rack very secure.
>>
>>1082200
Really the biggest difference is a rubber O-ring between the cooler and lid.
But that's easily added to any tight-sealing lid.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.