[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BOOOOOOOOTS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

I'm looking to buy my first real hiking boots, but I'm not sure where to start. I think I'd like a waterproof midweight with decent traction, but I know fuck all about boots.

I'm a trail runner who's looking to get into casual hiking, with maybe more extreme shit later on. Any tips/suggestions?
>>
whatever you buy will fall apart pretty quick. So don't spend too much money on a hiking boot.
>>
>>1081377

Merrill Moab
>>
>>1081407
Thanks, noted

>>1081408
The waterproof mid's on my short list - thanks!
>>
File: 2017-08-14 21.17.15.jpg (117KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
2017-08-14 21.17.15.jpg
117KB, 1024x576px
>>1081377
Uhhh... start with pic related. Salomon GTXs are great. I have had mine for a few years and hiked probably 100ish miles in mine.
>>
File: 1257_dark_earthburnt_olive_3q.jpg (37KB, 387x333px) Image search: [Google]
1257_dark_earthburnt_olive_3q.jpg
37KB, 387x333px
>>1081377
>>
>>1081407
That's bullshit. $30 wally worl boots will fall apart quickly, but there is a point of diminishing returns.

Anything from a reputable brand, that doesn't break the bank. Don't be afraid to spend $150-200 on a pair of boots. Try not to spend more than that.
>>
>>1081462
I'm just worried how I'll deal with the weight, but everyone seems to suck this boot's dick.

>>1081471
Which Keen is that? The Targhee II mid is on my list.

>>1081484
Understood - good advice
>>
File: DSC01942.jpg (3MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01942.jpg
3MB, 3072x2304px
>>1081493
Voyageur mid, no gore tex lining and the mesh panels let your feet breath

wore them in the desert, and 3 more pairs since
>>
OK guys, got it narrowed down to 4:
Salomon Quest 4D II GTX ($182)
Lowa Renegade GTX mid ($172)
Keen Targhee II mid ($101)
Merrell Moab mid waterproof ($100)

Thoughts?
>>
>>1081509
quest and renegade are a lot beefier, with stiffer soles. targhee and moab are much lighter, with more flexible soles. i didn't think the lighter two were much of a step up in performance from my vasque mindbender trailrunners when i was shopping for boots relatively recently. my brother has a pair of renegades he loves. i have a pair of merrell phasebounds i love. ~$170, fall in line performance-wise with the salomons and lowas you listed. i suggest you find a store that carries a few different ones you like and try them on.
>>
>>1081509

I'm the guy that recommended the Moabs.

Next step is to determine what kind of hiking you're going to be doing. You going to wet territory? Rocky?

Most of these will cover all types but you might be able to narrow your list down.
>>
>>1081529
Thanks - the stores in my area don't really have a wide selection, so I was hoping to narrow it down to 2 & order both on Amazon.

>>1081531
No idea, honestly. I'm just starting out, but I know I want waterproof (all 4 do that).
>>
>>1081377
I will try to answer more generally without going into specific brands

First of all is the question of how much support you want in your boots. This depends on two tings: How rough terrain will you be walking in and how much weight will you be carrying. Since you wan't to do casual hiking theres no need to get the stiffest boot on the market.
I think a boot like the one you posted with medium ancle height would be a good choice but I can't say anything about it's stiffness.

Second important thing is materials. Full leather boots are generally a bit stiffer, more expensive but also more sturdy/lasting. Synthetic boots (like in your pic) are usually lighter.

Finally there's water-proofing. If you only expenct very little to no rain then it's best to have no membrane at all to maximise breathability. If you live in a place where it rains a lot a membrane is a must - at least in a synthetic boot. Full leather boots offer some degree of water-proofness even without a membrane depending on how heavily you wax them, but you can also get ones with a goretex membrane in them as well.
In my experince the scale goes from Synthetic with no membrane being the most breathable but least waterproof, then leather with no membrane, then synthetic with membrane and finally leather with membrane being the most hard-wearing and water proof but the least breathable.

I've run a full leather boot with medium height and no membrane for the last 5 years (Meindl Borneo MFS). I have liked them a lot, but have been on a few hikes where I would have liked a membrane (Hiked a month in Scotland last summer. Needless to say we got a shitload of rain).
>>
File: syncros.jpg (198KB, 800x536px) Image search: [Google]
syncros.jpg
198KB, 800x536px
I've had Lowas, La Sportivas, Keens, and generic army boots before. None of those worked for me in the long run. My current boots are Lundhags. They're pretty pricy, but oh so worth it if you can afford them. Mine are Lundhags Syncro Mids, but they make cheaper models as well.
Only the upper is leather. The bottom of the boot is pure rubber, and therefore truly waterproff. This ofcourse means that they don't breathe exceptionally well, but only the upper can get soaking wet. I can't imagine using another type of boot anymore.

Honestly though, I use Inov-8 trailrunners for 80% of my hikes. Boots are more of a winter thing for me. Or if I'm carrying a really heavy pack.

Pic related: The boots I've got. Not my pic though.
>>
>>1081377
Haix K2
>>
>>1081377
Salomon 4d are great boots IF you don't mind replacing them every 1-2 seasons.

I am on my second pair in 4 years, the goretex just lets go and then they wick in moisture due to the synthetic / covered in stitches construction.

Next time round I am going for full grain leather (with the minimum of stitching), probably without goretex desu.
>>
>>1081509
do not spend more than 100 dollars on a hiking boot.
Hi-tec boots are good. for the price of some of those boots, you could buy 2-3 pairs of Hi-tec boots.

You can also repair boots with glue and stitching if needed.
>>
>>1081377
Salmon Quest are ok, but I prefer full leather boots. Leather lining is great. Hanwag Tatra seems nice, Yukon even more. I'm using Hanwag Tashi and really, really like them.
>>
>>1081377

I like Salomon cuz they have the locking mechanism that locks down the laces over the front part after you dial them in so you dont lose tension as you lace up the ankle portion...
>>
>>1081929
Many hiking boots have that small hook on the flap which does the same thing, basically
>>
File: IMG_6202.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6202.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I've had these since last fall and have worn them a lot. I've never had sore feet or blisters while hiking. The support is great. I've also yet to have an issue with leaking despite submerging them in water almost every outing

I'd definitely buy them again
>>
Scrapa
>>
Fuck soloman quest 4d boots. I bought a pair and the sole separated from the boot at the toes in under 30 miles. Soloman, being cool, sent me a new pair. Happened again in about 45 miles of mediocre use.

Meanwhile my beat to shit goretex moabs were still at least intact after a couple hundred miles.

Returned the boots to tge retailer and got a new pair of moabs. About 20 miles in on those and showing no signs of quitting.
>>
seal team six uses moabs by default mostly
>>
>>1081509
Judging by your list I would look at the Vasque Breathe or whatever it is called as well. I'm from a running background as well and hate heavy shoes. I wear the normal Salomon ultra 3D shoes pretty often and they're great for most hikes, usually I go with the GTX. For boots I love the Vasque. Minimal break in time and very comfortable. Hold up quite well too
>>
I'm considering Danner mountain lights for basically the same use case as OP, plus Canadian winter.
Is this retarded? I love the way they look, but maybe they aren't perfectly practical. Any of you have experience with Danner boots?
>>
>>1082055
Same thing happened to me. Plus, they started leaking water within 3 months. They're not good boots.
>>
>>1081664
This, except I'm on my second pair in nine months. They just don't last like they should.

My next boots will be leather, probably LL Bean Crestas.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.