[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Folding / Compact wood stove

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: screenshot.10.jpg (87KB, 793x250px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.10.jpg
87KB, 793x250px
What's a good model and price for a small stove that can use sticks and yard waste as fuel?

I want something I can use as a really small firepit in my backyard that I can also cook things on once in a while. Ideally, I would like to have the option to be able to vertically stack the sticks. The surface I'm planning on resting this is an extra walkway stone, but there's a tree overhead, so I can't let the fire get too big.

I'm also considering bringing it along if I go on a day trip in the woods.

I've been binging youtube videos for folding wood stoves for the past few days, and the firestove seems to have the most videos made of it, but I think that's just because that company is advertising the most on youtube, so I'm a bit suspicious that they're covering up the problems in the design, or that it's not very trustworthy for some other reason.
>>
File: FLDSTEEL.jpg (39KB, 372x364px) Image search: [Google]
FLDSTEEL.jpg
39KB, 372x364px
On a related note, what is the general opinion on portable wood stoves like this as opposed to backyard firepits, or campfires?
>>
>>1080501
One hundred forty-six beaver bux for some sheet metal. I hope that it is titanium.
>>
>>1080501
try Bushbox
>>
File: screenshot.11.jpg (210KB, 982x573px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.11.jpg
210KB, 982x573px
>>1081914
The US price for the same package, taken from their site is around $115. Remember, this is the package with ALL the accessories. That's a pretty similar price once you factor in import tax and currency conversion.

That particular model of stove uses a particularly thick alloy of stainless steel. Apparently they're working on adding a titanium version of it, but they're having trouble getting the price right.
>>
>>1081919
What is the advantage over a rocket stove made out of a coffee can?
>>
>>1081928
A platform to mount a pot of some kind if I want to grill or make tea while still providing adequate airflow for a fire.

I can put bigger sticks inside and still get good airflow.

Most importantly, I don't have a dremmel tool to cut metal. I have tin snips, a hammer and nails, and pliers.

Seriously though, a tin can rocket stove was plan A for a long time, but I couldn't figure out a way around not having a dremmel tool.
>>
>>1081962
Get a cheap corded drill from a yard sale or something. Drill holes in the corners of where you want the larger holes to be. Cut them out with tin snips.
Hell, you could get a nice cordless one for the amount you'd spend on the overpriced piece of stamped metal.
>>
>>1081966
I ended up taking a coffee can and just hammering in an assload of holes in them. I have a couple different sizes of nails, so it was doable. Using the tin snips here didn't seem as easy as it looked in the video guides I saw. Not consistently, at least. Maybe I just have to learn to use them better. The hole I tried making for the intake was hideously misshapen, so I just started thinking of it as a bottom feeder hole. It cuts right down to the very bottom of the can, though, so I can't build up a thick layer of coals on the bottom.

Putting that on top of a rusted out coleman stove gave me some air clearance on the bottom, and a safe place for the ashes / embers to fall out.

I don't know yet what I can really do to moderate the first flaring fire, with all the cracking and embers flying around, but I'm at least pretty sure that "not enough air flow" isn't going to be a problem for me. What I did was place the bean can in front of the bottom feeder hole as best as I could, and cover the top of the can with another metal coffee can that had water in it to try to reduce the air flow.

I ended up getting a decent scattering of coals after a while, and I'm using the residual heat to try to dry some newspaper logs I made a few days ago.

I'll post pics of it tomorrow.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.