[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /out/ opinion on bivouac shelters?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 8

File: 1-Outdoor-Research-Alpine-Bivy.jpg (45KB, 1024x584px) Image search: [Google]
1-Outdoor-Research-Alpine-Bivy.jpg
45KB, 1024x584px
What's /out/ opinion on bivouac shelters?
>>
Sweaty and gay. Tarp ftw.
>>
>>1080261
They're nice if your job requires you be /out/ and have to tear down and set up camp quickly.
>>
might as well carry a 1 person tent for barely any extra weight - my vango is 1.2kg.

I can sit up and spread my shit out a little and have a vestibule for cooking.

You're pretty much gonna need a tarp with the bivvy anyways
>>
>>1080266
This guy gets it.

They're really good for stealth camping though. But so are tarps.
>>
They are worse than hammocks if that is even possible
>>
Condensation traps
>>
man I get panic attacks just looking at that. How can you sleep in such a small space? I would be waking up all night feeling trapped and suffocated, and have to rip myself out of the thing. I found a nice solution though, the Zpacks Solplex. It's clear cuben fiber so I can see outside and don't feel trapped
>>
>>1080314
I wish I could afford cuben. Probably getting a silnylon Trailstar soon though, if everything works out.
>>
>>1080314
>>1080316
Another option is the snugpak ionosphere. Kind of a halfway point between a bivy and a single man tent. Gives you a little more breathing room and also handles extreme weather much better.

I use one on occasion when I'm doing cold weather overnight hunting treks.
>>
File: stay warm darwin.jpg (160KB, 734x407px) Image search: [Google]
stay warm darwin.jpg
160KB, 734x407px
>>
>>1080261
Good for wild camping
>>
>>1080318
I have one of those, when you have the rain fly on it gets super wet inside from condensation, and a little musty. It's also hard to change in it, or even just sitting up. Other than that, its a super cool little tent.
>>
It's useful and I like mine. Bit too specialized to recommend to anyone unless you guide with companies that have regs against you sleeping in the same tent as customers though. Get a light 1 or 2 man tent instead, its really not that much more weight and you dont have to put something weird together for covering your boots and pack.
>>
Be a man. Get a swag.
>>
>>1080855
You must be a car camper
>>
>>1080859

Trail bike actually.
>>
>>1080855
>>1080862
I was going to buy one of these because my logic was " It's small, it'll pack small and be light", went to buy one and they were twice the size and weight of my current vango.

Ended up buying one that I keep attached to my triumph on a semi permanent basis
>>
>>1080261
Looks like a great way to suffocate in your sleep.
>>
>>1080711
"Quilts" are such a stupid meme. The moment you turn over or disturb your insulation, you'll get drafts coming in on your back and legs.
>b-but it's the same as what I use at home
That doesn't mean that it's suitable to use in the outdoors. Sleeping bags are shaped the way they are because it's the most efficient way to conserve heat, that includes the zippers. A good sleeping bag will unzip down to the footbox anyway, so I don't know why people are buying sleeping bags without zippers just so they can be different.
>>
>>1080877
Many quilts have straps so that you can secure them to you sleepingpad. This removes the problem.
>>
>>1080878
It doesn't remove the problem. Those quilts are literally the same size as a mummy bag except you don't get a zipper.
>b-but it has strahps
Why the hell would I want to secure my mummy bag with three straps held in place with friction against slippery outdoor gear materials, which will let drafts in when you toss and turn at night? Protip: I wouldn't. Quilts are the stupidest fucking meme in all of outdoor gear.
>>
>>1080881
Have you ever tried one?
>>
>>1080882
Yes!!
>>
>>1080883
Can't help you much then. I've never had the problems you mention and I'm a pretty restless sidesleeper. This is propably more the case of something that doesn't work in your particular case, but does work for a litteral shitton of other people. You're making the mistake of assuming everyone is like you (Don't worry this is common on the internet).
>>
>>1080884
I think it's because you never camp in sub 50 degree temperatures.

>but does work for a litteral shitton of other people.
No, it doesn't. Most people still use mummy bags. The quilt autists are a very vocal minority, many of whom have a material interest in promoting their autistic camping gear because they can make quilts pretty easily in their garage, but sleeping bags are more time-consuming and harder to make.
>>
>>1080886
>you never camp in sub 50 degree temperatures.
No. Most of my camping is in those conditions. That's just how it is where I live.

I'm not shitting on your preference for mummy bags. I think the reason why most people are using mummybags is simply because of availability.

I still think you're making the mistake of assuming everyone is like you.
>>
File: alwysOnEge.png (159KB, 540x611px) Image search: [Google]
alwysOnEge.png
159KB, 540x611px
>>1080261

Get an alpine hammoc instead -there are vents to minimize (you will never eliminate) condensation buildup.

There is also the option of just using the mosquito net which will be like one gian vent.
>>
>>1080887
You're an idiot.
>>
>>1080896
Nice comeback.
>>
>>1080905
>comeback
You think you're in some kind of comedy TV show. Maybe that's why you do ridiculous things with zipperless mummy bags, for your audience to laugh at you. I'm simply stating a fact.
>>
>>1080920
If we're just gonna hurl shit at each other like chips then I'm out.
>>
>>1080921
meant chimps of course
>>
File: 1303584_004_main[1].jpg (112KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1303584_004_main[1].jpg
112KB, 1200x1200px
>>1080920
>>1080921

I have found a compromise!
>>
>>1080877
I agree, BUT in a hammock where you have an UQ that goes 'up the sides' it is not as critical. I have used a TQ on the ground before and never again.
>>
File: burrito tarp.png (25KB, 1004x342px) Image search: [Google]
burrito tarp.png
25KB, 1004x342px
>he doesn't just burrito bag it
>>
File: AMK-SOL-Escape-bivy.jpg (126KB, 850x406px) Image search: [Google]
AMK-SOL-Escape-bivy.jpg
126KB, 850x406px
>>1083014
That's a great way to wake up soaked in sweat.

Pic related is warmer, lighter and lets out moisture.
>>
>>1083014
Enjoy condensation
>>
>>1083052
Been considering this for winter tarp camping (we don't get much snow here, but much rain and wind). Any good?
>>
>>1083054
Depends a lot on how heavy the rain is. Tyvek doesn't breathe as well when it's wet on top, but I've got 100+ nights on my current one and it's still going strong. I usually go with a hammock in the winter though.
>>
File: 20160919_182616.jpg (292KB, 980x550px) Image search: [Google]
20160919_182616.jpg
292KB, 980x550px
>>1083055
Rain can get really hevy here. I usually put up my tarp in a low a-frame or like pic related (but closer to the ground), so I don't worry much about spray. Windchill and water flowing under the tarp is my main worry (I've had to dig trenches when I couldn't find a nice elevated spot sometimes).

Tried hammocks years ago, but can't get along with them for some reason.
>>
>>1083066
If you're going to use a rainfly anyway, the SOL escape will definitely work to repel any water that does happen to splash up onto you, I just wouldn't use it as your primary water protection. Also, keep in mind that in order for the aluminiumized layer to properly reflect any heat back to you, there needs to be about 1/4 inch of space between you and the material (a fleece liner works well for this, I use a thermalite extreme liner and GI polypro thermals down to 25F with just the SOL escape comfortably).
>>
>>1083068
Cowboy camping is extremely rarely an option here.
Would be using it with my 5 degrees celsius (approx 40f) down bag, plus thermals and down jacket if necessary, anyway, so loft shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the info bud, I feel like I gained some knowledge.
>>
>>1083070
No problem, happy to help, hope it all works out for you!

And don't forget the ground pad!
>>
>>1083074
I usually use my extra wide Ridgerest SOL in winter (in combination with generic cheapo foam pad if it's really fucking cold), and a torso length Z-Lite plus my sitpad (also generic cheapo foam) in summer.

Been eyeing that new version of the insulated Klymit Static V since it came out though. Although I'm not a big fan of potential punctures and having to fix them in the field.
>>
>>1083079
>potential punctures and having to fix them in the field.
Yeah, I practically live outside much anymore, and if I'm sleeping on the ground I'm using a CCF pad for that reason. I still prefer the hammock though.
>>
>>1083081
I don't relly get the people who say it's not a problem. Locating a pinhole puncture can be a hellish process. Anyone who rides a bike much knows this.
>>
>>1083084
>people who say it's not a problem.
Have never had to do it, in the middle of the night, during a snowstorm, and then hike 20 miles the next day.

CCF pads: because inflatables just aren't worth it.
>>
>>1083087
Ain't that the damn truth.
>>
>>1080877
>>1080881
>>1080886
Woah! Never seen someone so butt hurt over the sleeping habits of others. I regularly sleep with my quilt in 40F and love it. So suck a Willy.
>>
>>1080877
>quilts are a "meme"
I guess I memed myself for months over thousands of miles with extreme temperature fluctuations with no problems then.
>>
>>1080261
I own a Eureka Solitaire, cost me like $70.
Honestly it's the best 3 season tent I've ever owned. Slept in the rain, totally dry. Slept in summer heat, completely comfortable. My only complaint is that it's a little bit too short for me, would appreciate another 6-12 inches of length so that my feet and head don't touch the tent. It's light and tiny, has enough room on the sides to (more or less) keep all my gear inside with me.
Yeah, you don't want to hang out inside of it. But who cares? Yes, you still need a groundcloth/tarp, but it's still substantially smaller than other tents.
Outside of situations where I need a 2-person tent, I don't think I'll ever buy another style of tent. There's just no need for all that volume-- volume for mosquitoes to fill up, volume that costs you weight, etc. etc. etc.

If anyone has a recommendation on a bivy-style tent that's a little bit higher quality than this cheapo solitaire, let me know. I'd be interested.
>>
>>1080261
I got the bivy in pic for $10 at a thrift store
>>
>>1080274
Hammocks are bad for your back, whatÅ› wrong with bivouac shelters if they are made using membrane materials?
>>
>>1083889
>Hammocks are bad for your back
Not if you use them correctly
>whatÅ› wrong with bivouac shelters if they are made using membrane materials?
Absolutely nothing, some people just have their head stuck so up their ass that they can't tell the difference between an innovation and a meme.
>>
All these faggots not having wool and canvus sleeping bags that fit in hammocks while sleeping under a tarp
Ahahahahahaha
>>
>>1083893
Well, I got scoliosis and I couldn't sleep on a bed that was so old that my pelvis went down too deep. I suspect that with most hammocks you sleep in a position where you're not lying straight but with your pelvis lower than other parts of your body, am I wrong in this?
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to use hammocks as its less weight than bivouac shelters, but I have medical concerns.

>Improper would be laying parallel with the hammock. You should sleep on an angle across the center line, which spreads it and makes a flat surface.
Hrm, I think I've tried this trick with that bed, it did help but not too much.
So, how does one use a hammock "correctly"?
>>
>>1083900
>how does one use a hammock "correctly"?
You want to be laying diagonally.

In your particular case, a hammock may not work because it's not intended to be a flat and rigid surface, it's intended to stretch and give in areas that are under higher pressures, which for most people would be near their pelvis.
>>
>>1080877
Mine kept me alive and toasty on the Appalachian Trail through Feb temps no problem. The draft never happened once, I made sure it was a wide option.
>>
Do you people *really* sleep on the ground?? If I do that here in south america I'll be cut and eaten by ants
>>
>>1083889
They call it a membrane because you must be INSANE IN THE BRAIN to think they work worth a damn.
>>
>>1083087
Or you could just pack both like me.

Full size inflatable down pad and 1/2 size ccf pad.

Ccf pad goes under the inflatable positioned under my torso, helps protect the inflatable.

If I get catastrophic failure I can still sleep okay on the half pad.

And best of all the ccf pad acts as my indestructible sit pad, useful for more than sitting,.like somewhere to put and then a way to carry my kindling
>>
>>1083087
Or you could just pack both like me.

Full size inflatable down pad and 1/2 size ccf pad.

Ccf pad goes under the inflatable positioned under my torso, helps protect the inflatable.

If I get catastrophic failure I can still sleep okay on the half pad.

And best of all the ccf pad acts as my indestructible sit pad, useful for more than sitting,.like somewhere to put and then a way to carry my kindling
>>
>>1084352
I do it all the time. Bugs obviously aren't a big problem here.
>>
>>1084376
check out this oldskool expert
>>
>>1083014
I tried this and woke up wet from all the condensation
Thread posts: 66
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.