[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cold weather camping gear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: winter.jpg (60KB, 660x400px) Image search: [Google]
winter.jpg
60KB, 660x400px
hey /out/, a buddy and I are planning a week-long trip to Colorado this December. I have been camping in fairly cold weather before (15 degrees fahrenheit), but not for this long or in weather as cold as Colorado will probably be this time of year.
Is there any essential cold-weather gear I need to get for this trip? Any /out/-approved spots in Colorado ideal for longer stays and hikes?
>>
>>1080206
Herbal tea and a pee bottle.
>>
>>1080498
Herbal tea? Why, specifically?
>>
Definitely herbal tea. Maybe a pee bottle too. Also a couple of cans of garbanzo beans.
>>
>>1080633
This. Typically you can drain the water out of the bean cans to shave off some weight.
>>
>>1080570
Its so that if anyone finds your pee bottle you have plausible deniability
>>
>>1080498
>>1080633
>>1080638
>>1080639
You can't seriously be telling OP to skip out on writing in the snow with his piss. I try to write a few letters of a message each time, so over the course of a day or two I can write out something like:

>OPI
>SAF
>AGG
>OT
>>
>>1080707
Nobody likes to get out of their cozy sleeping bag, put boots and/or clothes on just to piss in the snow. Plus you get a nice warm bottle to help earm you up.

Lrn2wintercamp
>>
I used a surplus military sleeping bag and some milsurp long johns. My brother has solely kiffaru gear. It was -4 and my brother was cold, I was not.
>>
>>1080570
I like herbal tea in the winter because it warms me up before I hit the sack with no caffeine or sugar to keep me awake
>>
>>1081385
This. The only problem with pee bottles in the winter is waking up with 1/2 liter of frozen pee.
>>
>>1081464

This. No matter what time of year, I travel with a army surplus wool blanket.
>>
>>1080206
I've lived in Colorado most of my life. I don't have any advice, we locals don't go camping in the winter. Not on purpose anyways.
>>
>>1082167
No it's the extreme cold weather 80s style sleeping bag that (with easily repairable busted zippers) sell for 25 dollars. I had that and my woobie and the extreme cold weather brown fleece tops and bottoms but I slept naked. No pad, no tarp (sleeping bag got a little damp through the tent floor but I didn't notice until we packed to leave)
>>
>>1082251
And of course I don't have any photos of my fucking gear, and all my gear is up in CO at my brothers. Sorry guys. I had some I sent to my ex through FB but I deleted the entire convo a few days ago.

I got all my shit at a surplus store for 35 dollars. 25 for the bag, 10 for the tops and bottoms. Bag smelt like someone died in it but I bought it around July and just left it out in the sun and rain for a few days. Cleared it right up. Fleece was brand new. Woobie was free from the government. My brother spent....I'd say about a grand, maybe two on all his fancy light weight hiking gear and I'm super jelly of how nice his shit is to carry and sleep in and use but like I said, he was so cold in his kifaru -20 bag with his kifaru woobie and USMC surplus bivvy he couldn't sleep man. It was -4, we were up at abiut....Shit I don't want to go telling lies but it wasn't too high. Maybe 1000 feet above Denver. We just went as a trial run. Had about 3ft of snow on the ground.
>>
>>1082256
Snowfall the night before we headed out. Best picture I got of anything related that aren't videos.
>>
>>1082263
Motherfucker.
>>
File: FILE30096_.jpg (142KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
FILE30096_.jpg
142KB, 800x600px
>>1082173
you're doing it wrong then
majority of my /out/ing is done in the winter
Rent a cabin. Stay in a yurt. Buy a camper.
>Pic fucking related
>Home-sweet-home for the week
>Headed into town middle of the week to restock food/fuel
>>
File: i-c3GxKk8-L.jpg (87KB, 799x450px) Image search: [Google]
i-c3GxKk8-L.jpg
87KB, 799x450px
>>1082264
iktf
>>
>>1081385
I kind of enjoy those moments when you wake up in the middle of the night to take a piss. Nobody else is up and you can catch a nice glimpse of the serene nature of wherever the hell you might be camping. or realize you're camp site is being invaded by some kind of animal that could potentially fuck up your entire life... Good times.

I'd suggest bringing as much wool clothing as you can. It might be helpful to also bring dry wood or bring some kind of chainsaw to cut up some wood that hasn't been soaking up moisture on the ground.

Someone suggested herbal tea but depending on what kind of camping you're doing I'd suggest bringing some whiskey so you can make hot toddies.
>>
File: 20160717_011017.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160717_011017.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1082281
I'll agree some of the coolest shit I've seen was waking up and going out to take a piss with a full moon out. It's still nice to have that option of staying in bed though.

Pic related.
>>
just recently acquired a Filson Mackinaw Cruiser, can't wait to test it out this winter
>>
>>1082281
>I kind of enjoy those moments when you wake up in the middle of the night to take a piss.
save for when it is shit weather, which it usually is when this happens.
>>
>>1082279
why would I do any of that when I have a camper and a house and see snow 9 months out of the year?

It's not a vacation when you live in the mountains.
>>
>>1082279
That cabin looks cozy af.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.