[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some affordable sleeping bags?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0259.jpg (1MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0259.jpg
1MB, 3024x4032px
So far, looking at the Kelty Cosmic 40, and the Aegismax M2. Would primarily be used during the summer months as well as some fall/spring trips.
>>
>>1080179
Some of the economy topquilts from places like hammockgear are both affordable (~$120) and fucking awesome for 3-season camping. And yes, they work on ground pads as well as with hammocks.
>>
>>1080179
that's an awesome picture.
>>
>>1080179
Beautiful picture OP, is that the mountain from the movie "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"?
>>
>>1080179
Sleeping bag for non 0 degree situations?

Just bring a military surplus wool blanket. Theres 2 main kinds. The small kind and the big kind. You'll want the small kind as you aren't invading Russia.
>>
>>1080181
>hey can I have something affordable for conditions that I could literally survive naked in
>here let me help you spend $100

Do you have fetal alcohol syndrome?
>>
>>1080242
>Assumes everyone is a memecrafter

Maybe OP wants to do some actual backpacking you know?
>>
>>1080247
Lol what exactly constitutes "actual backpacking", spending a lot of money?
>>
>>1080248
Hiking for 6-9 hours a day, for anything from a few days to multiple months

Not saying the blanket doesn't work. But just because something works, that doesn't make it the best option.

Also:
>Implying 100$ is a lot for a sleeping bag
>>
>>1080250
It's really not as bad as you think it is.
>>
>>1080255
I've used wool blankets before (mostly when I was a poorfag who didn't have anything else). Yeah they keep you warm, and are comfy, but they're also heavy and bulky compared to most modern sleepingbags/quilts.
>>
>>1080263
They thinner ones aren't very heavy(wasn't speaking about the ones you invade Russia with), but will start to get heavier after about a week or so. The upside is when they're soaking wet they still stay warm because it's wool.
>>
>>1080269
We've found agreement. I just like the convenience of modern technology. I don't go /out/ to proove to myself that I can live like a 19th century trapper.
>>
Is hardcore backpacking actually fun? Every thru-hiker I meet on the AT seems to have the same "just gotta get it done" attitude. How do backpackers actually enjoy themselves when they're steamrolling through hundreds of miles of terrain? They make camp and they're too tired to do anything but eat before falling asleep, then as soon as they wake up it's more of the same. What gives? What about slow mornings spent fishing, swimming and exploring the area with no goal in mind?
>>
>>1080288
Yeah absolutely to each their own.

It bothers me on a personal level that people are so avoidant of living the way people lived just a few centuries ago, shit some places of the world people still live like that.

Fuck starbucks, my nigga.
>>
>>1080289
Honestly bro I think they just don't like camping as much as they thought they would and want to get it done as not to be a quitter.

That's just my theory.
>>
>>1080293
>>1080294

I think Skurka explains it pretty well in this blogpost: http://andrewskurka.com/2012/what-inspires-you-to-backpack/
>>
File: Cheese Wiz 2012.jpg (74KB, 600x449px) Image search: [Google]
Cheese Wiz 2012.jpg
74KB, 600x449px
>>1080289
>>1080294

I thru-hiked the AT in 2012 and it took me 6 months. I was also 20 years old at the time and could have worked at a fish factory for 6 months and made it fun.

Staying in town for multiple days, catching sunsets on top of mountains, the absolute joy of having nothing to do when you wake up but go forward to see the next awesome view or neat town or shelter.

It was an amazing time, and I've already got my eyes on the PCT.

It's all about getting the most smiles out of your miles.
>>
>>1080289
Oh it sucks a lot of the time. but we wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the world. I'm no thru hiker myself since I never finished, but I did go for it anyway. Yea hiking all day and living outside beats the shit out of working, paying bills, worrying about money, all that normal life shit.
>>
>>1080293
Definitely agree with you on that. Studied anthropology for a while for that exact reason. Dropped out pretty quickly though, because I'd rather just chill innawoods.
>>
>>1080293
I agree with you, but one great thing about going /out/ is that one person can try both approaches. I have a backpacking setup with light, modern, technical gear and a camping setup which wouldn't have looked out of place in 1917. I love both equally, and which I take just depends on what I want to get out of the trip.
>>
>>1080244
He said affordable, not "I'm literally so destitute it has to cost literal pocket change".
>>
>>1080303
You sound like a faggot
>>
>>1080558
Stfu

Walmart is the base cost of all america existence and walmart says everything on earth is $20
>>
>>1080239
That would be Devils Tower and it doesn't look like that
>>
>>1080244
If you clean out enough lint from a dryer you could cobble together a blanket if you're that destitute.
>>
>>1080649
>he thinks cotton is comparable to woolt
>>
>>1080656
So wash it in Woolite then.
>>
>>1080179
I would still VERY much like to know where this is at

Any ideas?
>>
>>1080179
Define affordable. The newer 600 down north face furnace 20 offers great bang for buck. My buddy takes his down to the low 20s and upper teens with a good liner comfortably.
>>
>>1080672
Stupid.
>>
>>1080677
This was taken somewhere in the back country of Wyoming. That's all I know.
>>
File: IMG_0051.jpg (2MB, 4022x3017px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0051.jpg
2MB, 4022x3017px
>>1080930
Looks like the Wind River Range to me. Maybe Squaretop Mountain.
>>
>>1080747
the joke
---------------------------------
your head
>>
>>1080935
Too wet and pristine to be Wind River, there's not even a burned-out camper in sight. Most likely somewhere in the Bighorns.
>>
>>1080648
Got it, looked that one up and it has a completely different shape. I like this picture, very nice.
>>
>>1080179
Wont help you, but if you are Europe based, Nordisk Puk or Vaude Siux SYN are good bags for the price.
>>
Found a guy nearby selling a used Mountain Hardware Lamina Z Flame 22 degree bag for $100. Good deal?
>>
>>1081418
Assuming it's not completely encrusted in shit/jizz/mold, yeah that's a decent deal.

Just wash it before you use it. They call them fart sacks for a reason.
>>
>>1081434
He says used once and washed afterwards, but I've heard that before.
>>
>>1080244
The fucking Kelty OP mentioned costs just as much and is going to weigh more.
>>
>>1080179
>affordable sleeping bags?
The swisse sport 5F bag is $20. It's actually not bad, but it is almost 4lbs

>>1080289
Every thru-hiker has "get it done" attitude.
Thru-hiking kinda sucks, especially if you're new to backpacking and haven't really figured out all the stuff you don't need yet. It's mostly about businesses over-charging for simple things (I once paid $12 for half a gallon of water in Campo, CA). It's mostly a way to say 'I don't give up!' on your resume.

I map out my own hikes now. I'm heading out in a couple of weeks to do a chain of mountain lakes; there's 20 trout lakes that are each about two miles apart, about 50 miles total and I'm giving myself a month to do it. That leaves a lot of time to fish and explore, and maybe swim if the water isn't too cold.
>>
>>1083908
See, now that sounds like a damn good time.
>>
>>1083917
I'm excited. I'm vac-packing some dehydrated meals right now.
>>
are down sleeping bags worth it for non-hikers or people who just tent camp and campgrounds? thinking of getting a 40 degree non-down bag just to have.
>>
>>1083926
Down bags are like inflatable pads, they're extremely light but prone to failure. I prefer more reliable gear over saving weight when it comes to things that my life relies on.
>>
File: sleeping.png (161KB, 900x437px) Image search: [Google]
sleeping.png
161KB, 900x437px
what do you guys think of this bag from LL Bean. Pricey for non-down, but it has a canvas shell and flannel lining. Seems pretty legit. 20 degrees sounds a bit warm for just regular camping.
>>
>>1083939
Regular is relative. It's not uncommon for some of us to wake up covered in snow.
>>
>>1083937
>prone to failure
Explain. Every source I find says high fillpower down will outlast synthetic fill many times over. Do you mean if it gets wet?
>>
>>1083946
>Do you mean if it gets wet?
Yes. All it takes is misjudging the weather or not fastening a tarp well enough during one night with heavy wind and rain to soak that sucker and then you're fucked. People have died that way.

I'm not saying that you'll definitely die if you use down, just that it's a risk I wouldn't take myself. But I also go pretty deep into the woods, if you're going to be near your car if shit goes south, get whatever you want, there's no real risk.
>>
>>1083943
okay well something to have "just in case" would it be better to have a 40 degree or 20 degree bag? seems like 20 would be annoying just to have to sleep over a friends or something.
>>
>>1083943
however 20 degree seems like a sweet spot to sleep in a van or truck where I'm at. the absolute worse it gets here are high teens and that is a bad winter.
>>
>>1083952
>>1083954
>would it be better to have a 40 degree or 20 degree bag?
You should have whatever you need for whatever environments you camp in, or go modular. I'd go with a higher rating (60F for my area) with a Thermolite extreme liner (25F improvement) and a fleece liner (15F improvement + loft) for when you need to go colder.
>>
>>1083958
Also, SOL's escape bivvy as an outer shell will almost double your bag's insulation power.
>>
What's a good option for hammocking that doesnt take up a ton of space? I don't mind the weight much, but space is a tough thing to deal with. I did hammock camping with a "sleeping liner" which is basically a thick sheet, a fleece throw, and a "survival blanket 2.0" tarp for an underquilt and I was decent. I'm considering an underquilt-sleepingbag thing or doing a cheap ass tiny compressable synthetic bag with two of the costco down throws for supplemental. Will be getting down to 40s at night.
>>
>>1084242
I'm currently building a hammock setup with the sleeping bag on the underside and a full outershell in 14-s tyvek
>>
>>1083939
For car camping it'll be fine. I wouldn't go backpacking with it though.
>>
>>1084314
I like that for wind and water block, but how will tyvek do for warmth? I know I could google, but it's hard to find GOOD info on material functionality. It's basically all marketing and buzzwords at this point.
>>
>>1084403

>>1084314
Totally missed the sleeping bag part. I haven't had my coffee yet. Any pics of your desing or wip?
>>
File: cocoon hammock.jpg (1MB, 1680x1120px) Image search: [Google]
cocoon hammock.jpg
1MB, 1680x1120px
>>1084403
>>1084406
Tyvek itself doesn't do much besides block the wind and rain (and allow vapor from sweat to pass through and out), but the particular type that I'm using, 14-S, has an aluminiumized layer that increases the effective loft of your bag by about 70%. (it's the same stuff they make the SOL escape bivvy out of). I don't have pictures of the current build, since everything is still coming in the mail, but pic related is the previous prototype without tyvek, that shows the general design and how the insulation isn't compressed because the sleeping bag is on the outside. The new one will use a lighter summer bag (the current 5F with a 70% increase would cook me alive), and the Tyvek will extend upwards to cover the open hood of the bag, like a tiny tent for your face. Effectively, it'll eliminate the need for over half the insulation, especially since the sleeping bag is its own underquilt, as well as the rain fly and bug net.
>>
>>1084559

That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing that and I like the ultralight pup. How does 14-S do if it gets wet? I found some for sale from a 'material concepts' website, but I'm wondering if there's a better place to order it from? I Think I would only need 3 yards and I don't want to spend 80 bones.
>>
>>1083939
i would compare the weight and bulk of the item before commiting
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.