[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Living on a Boat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: Marina_Port_Vell-47671.jpg (113KB, 740x320px) Image search: [Google]
Marina_Port_Vell-47671.jpg
113KB, 740x320px
Hi, /out/. Newfriend here. Have any of you lived on a boat in a marina? Can you detail your experiences, costs, safety, how it works, etc.? FWIW, I'm a young female with a large dog and I'm eyeing Seattle in particular (Pike Place, Queen Anne, Ballard, Fremont, UVillage, and Cap Hill neighborhoods). I'm well-aware it won't be glamorous. That's not what I'm looking for, anyway; just livable and reasonably challenging.

I have literally no experience with boats except as a passenger, but I'm ready and willing to learn if you recommend it. I love to experience new things and broaden my knowledge. I have almost a year to study and prepare.

I suppose it's also worth-nothing I'd love to take it out to open water if I have the money to do so, but it's unlikely to develop into a serious passion like it is for most people living in marinas.

Thanks, fellas.
>>
>>1079319
Shit, and I mean renting a liveaboard, not buying one.
>>
TITS OR GTFO
I
T
S

O
R

G
T
F
O
>>
There's some book called The Essentials of Living Aboard a Boat, I'd start there.
>>
get a van instead and live innawoods by everett instead of being some boatslut
>>
>>1079825
you shuttup shes not a slut and i love her
>>
Living on a marina is the least private place I've ever lived.

Sound travels across the water for literal miles. Anyone can hear you fart in your marina. Also your dog will piss too many people off. Boats aside, it's not wise to have an animal trying to live the life you're asking for, land or Water. Wait until you own land to own animals. (or kids)

The bathroom /shower facilities are clean from my experience, but I'm sure that can vary from place to place. The bitch is walking to and from the bathroom facilities in the middle of winter. Especially in Seattle. Typically no laundry is on site.

Dont rent or buy a boat to live on, unless you want to find out how seasick you get after a couple nights. This is also another reason you should not have pets on a boat.

Tl;dr your escapism fantasy won't play out how you want. Life's harder than new ideas and wishful thinking. Anything worth having on this planet is going to require more hard work than most are willing to put out.
>>
>>1079949
This place and quality of posting has really declined over the years.
>>
>>1080066
Welcome to the Browning of America. It's beautiful
>>
>>1080015
I spent 2 nights on a friend's small yacht in Norway without issue. I've visited the country twice (for about two weeks each) and went out every day or every other day on a boat. I've never gotten seasick. I already know about the long walks to the bathrooms/showers/maybe laundry in cold and rainy weather being miserable and it's one of the least of my worries.

I don't think it can be an escapism fantasy when I know it's going to be hard living and I'm requesting information to better ascertain if this is something I really want to do. I'm considering it because I like to experience new things and grow from that, which requires a challenge. Rent looks cheap, too.

I concede the dog's gonna be fuckhard to manage, though. Still don't know about that. He does well on my aunt's lake, so he's at least familiar with water and boats to an extent. I live in a landlocked state, so taking him out on the ocean would be a hassle. It'd be better to rent a boat for a few nights off Airbnb in Seattle when I get there and see how he does.

>>1079814
Thanks! I'll look around for this.
>>
>>1079319
>I'm a young female
You either post tits or stfu since no one asked about your gender and it's irrelevant for what you're asking.
>>
>>1080152
How is it irrelevant ? No one would bother answering the questions if it was a male asking.
>>
>>1080154
>it's irrelevant for what you're asking
Rape, anon. That's something I need to worry about more than men.
>raped in the shower facilities
>raped in my home by a marina staff member (some marinas demand staff have access to the boats at all times)
>raped in my home by a neighbor
>rape rape rape rape rape
>>
>>1080163
I more than willing to bet that you're not a female, either way if you want to experience /out/ life more power to you and welcome, regardless. If you're a larping fag then seriously end yourself.
>>
>>1080163
Why do you want to come to a nice place and play the rape card?
People like you are why men dont want to date anymore.
>>
>>1080148
God willing you will end up as crabbait
>>
Any hip city, like San Francisco, Seattle, New York, the Marina's can have a wait list years long to get into. Most Marina's require insurance on your boat too. Look into anchoring out. It's free, no duchebags blasting (not your favorite) music next to you. Your dog is more a matter of it's personality than size. Ive known dogs that loved the boat life, keeping the pirates (seagulls) off the deck, and I've known others who were impressively sick in the slightest chop.
>>
Really, really check the boat and owner out. A friend of mine ended up renting a little live-aboard in Shilshole Marina in Seattle. The guy was nice but kind of a flake. He only lived on the boat in the summer and decided to rent it out for the winter for the first time. A few weeks after she moved in, the rain started and cabin was leaking everywhere. He hadn't noticed a lot of the caulking had gone bad around the roof and windows because in previous winters he had just thrown a tarp over it.
>>
>>1080148
You're idea sounds cool. Do it! I live in a fifth wheel, which isn't as cool but people say it's similar. I had friends try talking me out of the fifth wheel idea and I'm glad that it didn't stop me.
>>
File: hJ9qdb9.png (726KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
hJ9qdb9.png
726KB, 500x499px
>>1080163
>>
>>1079319
>I'm a young female
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>1079319
I recommend Ballard's Shilshole marina but Washington is a dangerous place for women since most of you are sketchy whores. Hopefully you get stabbed by to death and buried in a deep dark forest, enjoy your stay in Washington State.
>>
>>1085227
Thats hate speach and you can go to jail
>>
>>1080015
>Dont rent or buy a boat to live on, unless you want to find out how seasick you get after a couple nights
I've spent weeks on houseboats and never had a problem. The issue arises when you start sleeping on land again. You feel like you're still bobbing, but I've never been nauseated by it.
>>
>>1085359
This isn't the U.K. Jack
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.