[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Backpack ITT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 17

File: smith.jpg (24KB, 338x440px) Image search: [Google]
smith.jpg
24KB, 338x440px
I will start of the discussion with a question, are the Millican Smith Roll Packs any good? They look really featureful but I am skeptical since there is so little online exposure of the bag. To boot, it looks really nice and classy.

Doesn't have a billion company logos splattered all over it and not a crappy neon material.
>>
>>1076755
Should mention too that I am looking for a nice well-built daypack around 20-30L
>>
You could definitely make it work. I'd look at some ultra light day packs instead though (Granite Gear for example, similar feature-wise, but much nicer materials and workmanship, I assume).
>>
Looks like a decent pack. I'd be interested in anyone's experiences as well.
>>
Does anybody here have a Fjällräven Abisko? Been thinking about getting the 35L model to use as a day pack
>>
If this is for walking around a university campus it's fine. If it's for outdoors you would be far better off with any similar offerings from any of the leading outdoor gear brands.

Canvas and leather look great and 'vintage' but are functionally outclassed in regards to weight Vs durability by modern materials like nylon and cordura.

As a generally suggestion, any of the osprey packs will be 100% more comfortable.

Outdoor gear lab do some good reviews, but in general the best outdoor gear is whatever you can get wholesale.

http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-daypack
>>
I've been using the kelty redwing 50 as a hiking bag for a while. Although a bit big, it compresses down nice for dayhikes and can hold a decent sized water bladder. Would reccomend if a large bag / daypack is needed as one bag.
>>
>>1077012
Shhh, you'll summon them from the overcoat thread!
>>
>>1077244
This could be a secondary containment thread.
>>
>>1077012
Its not even about the material, its just that so many bags made for hikers look like shit and have too many pockets everywhere. Any other good roll-bags or bags with aluminum buckles and minimal branding would be nice to see.
>>
>>1077266
>on /out/
>cares how his gear looks
>>
>>1077266
You mean overpriced hipster shit?

http://store.velotton.com/product/rolltop-commuter-backpack-mitte
>>
>>1077268
Do you like looking like a walking advertisement through the woods with bright neon bags and shirts?
>>
>>1077275
I don't care. As long as it works. Who's gonna judge your style innawoods anyway? You can get plenty of daypacks in non neon colors.
>>
>>1076755
I got pic related for 30 bucks on craigslist from some drunks.

It smelled like straight cigarette smoke so i let it sit outside for a few days and it cleaned right up.

I believe it's an old coleman peak 1. It's old but in great shape.
>>
>>1077281
forgot image
>>
File: hurrdurr.png (411KB, 600x415px) Image search: [Google]
hurrdurr.png
411KB, 600x415px
>>1077270
> Asks for functional features, such as a roll-up top and non-plastic buckles, witha specific capacity range at an affordable price.
> Here is very expensive bag that is half the capacity

This is just as bad as that overcoat thread. Why not talk about bags you like instead instead? OP made it clear that this thread is also a general backpack thread.
>>
>>1076755
I want to buy a backpack for hiking, dayhiking and camping. May need multiple backpacks to cover that, now that I think about it.

I'm looking at some cheap second hand ones and I was wondering what sort of things I should look for. I'm a complete /out/ noob,

>How many L should I be looking at for a bag?
>How can I tell if a second hand bag is well cared for?
>What are some areas that wear out the fastest I can check?
>Are there any styles of bag I should watch out for or avoid?
>I see a lot of bags in the 15-30$ AUD range; are these just good prices, or am I looking at gutter tier stuff?
>>
>>1077012
Seconding this site.

>>1077266
Just forget about your milsurp innawoods fantasy and get a black osprey or deuter or w/e.

>Too many pockets
??????
>>
>>1077294
40-50L is a good size if you just want to use one bag for a lot of things. Since most bags have compression straps, its usually possible to squeeze it down small for a day-hike.
I'd look at either kelty or osprey (since those are bags I have experience with / friends have experience with).
Try to go for a bag with a main compartment that can open up all the way like a suitcase if possible, its a very convenient feature.
Good wide hip-belts that transfer weight are a must, detach-ability is a luxury.
Overall though, its probably best to get a good 40-50L for multi-day, and a 15-30L for a daybag. Just avoid overpriced new crap and scour ebay / craigslist for good deals that you can insect in person if possible.
>>
>>1077012
>>1077270
>>1077294
>>1077295
t. reddit
>>
>>1077294
>I want to buy a backpack for hiking, dayhiking and camping. May need multiple backpacks to cover that,

Hiking and dayhiking you will "need" minimum 10L an average hike/bushwalk to 22L for longer days. It also depends on your frame, how fast you want to be moving and the climate youre in (ie; do you need wet weather gear in case it rains etc etc).

When you mean camping do you mean from a car at a site? Or do you mean hiking to a location and camping there (And are you actually going to do this anytime in the near future or are you romanticizing the idea). You can do over nighters with a hiking tent and sleeping mat with a good 20/22L pack but its better to go with 30-40L to go with a bit more comfort.

15-30 is extremely low for a decent hike/camp pack, and a good pack is one of those things you want to spend a bit of money. If you see a cheap pack on ebay or gumtree or w/e do some research into the product to see reviews.
Having said that most of the major hiking brands such as Osprey, Deuter, REI make extremely good quality items with good warranties, even second hand they should be fine. A Osprey Daylight or a REI flash 18 would be a bit closer to your price range and a more reliable entry level purchase, but it might be worth considering saving a bit more to spend.
>>
>>1077297
I noticed a few different ones with what I can only describe as a "tube" for the main compartment, and thought they looked handy. As for the hip belts, is it possible to replace them? There's a bag that's quite cheap and around 65L which I'm really liking the look of, but one of the straps has no clasp (why it's so cheap).

>>1077303
Ok, thanks for the info. Those are much lower capacity's than I thought. For frame, I'm a larger dude, and also a /fit/ refugee, and I'm not too stressed about speed. I probably will need weather gear for the next few months. I'm thinking I'll err on the larger side.

As for camping, I meant starting off parking a car at a site, and going on day hikes (separate to the camping) then progressing to longer trips where I hike to a location to camp out (when I know I won't die in the wilderness).

As for romantisizing, the first day hike is planned for next week. Fairly easy walking trail. Another friend and I have made firm plans to go on a day hike around a local state park, and set a tenative date for in 2 weeks. There's also a camping/hiking trip planned for 2 months from now with a few others. I'd say if I'm exaggerating how much I'll use the gear, I'll still be getting some decent use out of them in the next few weeks alone.
>>
>>1077325
I posted a bit earlier in this thread, but if you can find a kelty redwing 32L or a 50L used for around $60-100. I don't mean to sound a like a shill, but the pack is a great deal if you can find it used or cheap for a multipurpose day-pack that can expand to a multi-day pack. Would reccomend
>>
Mystery Ranch backpacks you plebs:

http://www.mysteryranch.com/
>>
File: torpedopöllö.jpg (70KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
torpedopöllö.jpg
70KB, 960x640px
>>1077303
> min 10 L
> 22 L for longer days
That might be a bit too low for certain climates and seasons even for a daypack. Do you need to pack rain clothes? Extra layers for warmth? Do you plan to eat /out? Do you carry all water with you? Will it get colder or start snowing or windy? Do you want to change your shitty sweaty socks/shirt for the drive home when you arrive back at your car? And so on.

It can be hard to know what to take with you, but check the catalog here and reflect, with common sense, those ideas with your own. You obviously don't need a stapler, a dildo, a Darth Vader mask, chainsaw, pocket calculators and other shit. You probably don't need a machete or axe or hatchet. And so on.

If you plan to sit and have a coffee/tea on a nice vantage point, having binoculars can be fun too.

You're unlikely to die on a dayhike (grizzlies and other predators, rocks from space, skinwalkers and artillery notwithstanding), but you might get very dehydrated and/or hungry especially when spending hours upon hours /out on sunny days while moving all the time.

The only way to know is to figure out some basic set of stuff, then really just try it to get an idea of what you actually need. Many things might be non-obvious:
>toilet paper - easy to forget - "I won't shit /out I can hold"
>plastic bag to set over we mossy rocks to sit on
>insect repellent to nuke them from the orbit
>and so on

I have a 40L bag which weighs ca.1 kg. Carrying it half-filled is no biggie, so one day or a few, anything goes and all that can be done with a single bag instead of two daybags. (I have also a 90L for more involved things)
>>
>>1077266

If you want minimalist construction consider alpine/ climbing style packs.

These will be large sacks with possibly a top pocket.

Don't look at urban style packs as these will have 10 million pockets for gadgets and headphones and shit.

http://www.coldcoldworldpacks.com/

http://www.summitgear.com.au/summit-gear-canyon-pack/

http://blackdiamondequipment.com/en/climbing-packs/speed-30-pack-BD681178SULFM_L1.html
>>
>>1077335
Current plan is to buy a cheap used/damaged one off gumtree to use while I save for a better one and gauge my interest in camping (don't wanna pay through the nose if I get bitten by a snake and decide I hate it).

I think the bag I'm saving up for will be the redwing 50l, because it does actually look like a really nice bag.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I appreciate you taking the time to spoon feed a noob.
>>
>>1077586
Thanks man, exactly what i was looking for.
>>
File: ruckpack.png (1MB, 1172x1122px) Image search: [Google]
ruckpack.png
1MB, 1172x1122px
check out the REI rucksack, I just got one and I like it

mine is 28L
>>
>>1077671
Glad I could help mate. I personally think the cold cold world ozone looks amazing.
>>
File: IMG_2078.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2078.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>1076769

Granite Gear has terrible workmanship. I had their Crown2 bag and it literally fell apart at the seams.
>>
>>1077887
Got the Crown2 as well. No problems with mine. Did you warranty it?
>>
>>1077586

I wouldn't buy anything from black diamond. Out of all of my equipment my bd gear failed the most often.
>>
>>1077888

Yeah I go the warranty for it but I ended up switching to a different pack. using the other Crown2 as a back up.
>>
>>1077888
Also, this makes me worry. My previous bp was a GoLite Pinnacle which I used for >6 years, and I wasn't gentle with it. Do I need to baby my new bp? I don't want to worry about it.
>>
>>1077891
Bought mine used, like new, so don't think I have warranty. Considering selling it and picking up a 70l My Trail Co pack (New version of GoLite Pinnacle).
>>
>>1077895

IMO, any pack that weighs less than 3 lbs isn't sturdy enough to be on the trail.
>>
>>1077898
Or you carry to much useless shit.
>>
File: IMG_3391.jpg (72KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3391.jpg
72KB, 600x600px
I've got a Mystery Ranch Metcalf.
71L is ample and it makes a great hunt pack. Pricier but better to buy once and cry once.
>>
>>1077899

A pack that fails while carrying 25 lbs is garbage. Suck a nut ultralight faggot.
>>
>>1077901
>25 lbs
Plenty of UL packs can carry more than that. So suck your own nut sir.
>>
>>1077898
>>1077901
I have a 2.24 lbs pack and it is rated up to 26.4 lbs. It's a very good daypack or short hike pack.
>>
>>1077900
I'll never understand their daypack lid design.
I like the concept of the day pack lid, but the two pockets are so awkward. Seems poor for both daypack and lid.
>>
File: 0724172120-747x1328.jpg (267KB, 747x1328px) Image search: [Google]
0724172120-747x1328.jpg
267KB, 747x1328px
>>1077303
>>1077477

10L is fucking ridiculous. I'm suffering with one and once you put in 3L of water you can't even shoehorn a sub sandwich in there much less anything else useful but the absolute bare essentials.

I keep using it for 12hr hikes out of stubbornness
>>
>>1077900
>great hunt pack
You mean just for carrying all your shit? Cuz I'm not seeing any way to tie on animal quarters and it doesn't look like the packbag is removable from the frame.

I was issued a MR RATS pack innaArmy, it was awesome but not quite so awesome I'm willing to drop $380 on one for personal use. My current hunt pack is an Eberlestock Dragonfly that's pushing 8 years old, and I've also got an Eberlestock McMillan that's my varminting pack (best way to carry a heavy-barreled rifle, a shooting mat, and a fuckload of ammo I've found yet). They're heavy but bombproof.

Once upon a time I had a Kifaru Reckoning but it fell apart at the seams within 3 months of use and I got my money back out of it. Really disappointed in it. I will say their CS is fucking excellent, they had an RMA label emailed to me before I even got off the phone with them and their production manager personally called me like a week later apologizing and asking for details so they could keep it from happening again in the future.
>>
File: IMG_5350.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5350.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
From twelve litres to one hundred and five. 1915 to 2016.
I use the thirty litre pack the most.
>>
Straight up, just go to Wal-Mart and look at the outdoor stuff/sporting goods section (not the back to school stuff).

I bought an REI Flash 22 the other week and it's cool, but I saw a 28L daypack from Outdoor Research at Wal-Mart that was half the price.
>>
>>1079303
Could you put the names of them there?
I like the sizes of the ones on the right side, plus the one closest to it on the left. (w/ E tool)

>Pretty sure its ALICE but
>>
I only have an 18L Kånken right now which works just fine if you're not traveling anywhere and just need to carry some water, food, a knife and wood burner and stuff like that and I'm borrowing a pack for my first hike, and I'm planning on getting one 35L bag and one 65 or 75L bag.

Anything above 75L seems a bit autistic unless you're planning on being fully self-sufficient in the middle of nowhere for a week or more
>>
>>1077898
my 13 ounce pack has 1500 miles on it
>>
File: IMG_4752.jpg (154KB, 576x576px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4752.jpg
154KB, 576x576px
Why not go with a kelty strike?
>>
>>1078356
A daypack lid will always be a compromise, the MR lid is kinda nicely shaped for use as a lid but that makes it really retarded for use as a pack. The Kifaru Guide is even more of a compromise, but perhaps a little bit better shaped for use as a pack since it has one large compartment instead of two small horizontal ones.

I haven´t yet seen one daypack lid that is both a good lid and a good pack, most are decent lids and shitty packs.
>>
File: PicsArt_08-17-05.29.27.jpg (300KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_08-17-05.29.27.jpg
300KB, 1600x1200px
I need another backpack since hiking is turning out to be fun. Currently have a vaude 30+4 wizard which is amazing. I love the ventilation mesh and the size is great. Currently caring 3L camel, lunch for 3, 1L bottle, 2 smallform wind breakers, and the small stuff. The dog goes along so I also bring a normal plastic drinking bowl. Plenty of space left.

We just did 4 hikes in the last 2 weeks ranging from 2h to 5h, with a normal to hardest rating (in the Ardèche, France). The Vaude is fine for a full day hike since we always have leftovers after hikes (2+ Liters of water and half the snacks). I can see it doing a 2 day hike.

We want to try a 2 day hike soon, but that would require a bunch of new gear.. mainly a 2nd pack and a tent. After some googlefu I think I want a 40L pack. There is waaay too much choice but I narrowed it down through gut feeling to:
Vaude Brenta 40
Berghouse freeflow 40

both are about 100€ which is a good price for me, premium but not ridiculous. Anyone have any suggestions?
>>
>>1083225
>Vaude Brenta 40
I can vouch for this one, the ventilation mesh truly is awesome. I have mine almost 3 years now and many Km on it and still rocks strong. When I bought it I got lucky though, it costed me less than 50€ on amazon.es, some sweet sale I recon. Either way I would easily pay 100€ for it today, and when I buy a 60l pack I will look for the same model. i just wish it had bottom straps but it's great regardless.
>>
Anyone here got one of those giant Berghaus packs?
Do they hold up to their reputation?
I'm thinking about getting one.
>>
File: IMG_0117.jpg (42KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0117.jpg
42KB, 600x600px
I have a NF Vault that's technically made for a laptop, but it's pretty sturdy so far and comfortable even when loaded up. Used it for kayaking and hiking both, haven't had any failures with it in the 2 years I've used it
>>
I've mostly been an Osprey guy but I got pic related as a new less complicated daypack and I absolutely adore it. It weighs less than a pound and is stable enough for even trail running as long as you keep your weight down to sub 10lbs. The compression straps will also buckle across the pack so that you can secure skis to the front of it. I plan to use it straight through the winter seeing as I'll be able to affix my snowshoes to it.
>>
>>1077275
bright colours help with identification and locating yourself. critical in an emergency, and very useful when in a group.
>>
File: 61750142.jpg (358KB, 600x441px) Image search: [Google]
61750142.jpg
358KB, 600x441px
>>1079303
>dat surplus fleemarket importet from /k/
>>
File: IMG_1933.jpg (84KB, 610x343px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1933.jpg
84KB, 610x343px
5.11 RUSH 72 Hour pack. One bag for literally everything with MOLLE all over it for customization.

Thank me later.
>>
>>1083400
Is this peak ultralight performance?
>>
>>1084373
I've seen people on here slag the 5.11 bags off but I cannot fault mine. 5 years edc carrying laptop, speakers, spare usb battery, my lunch of soup and a smoothie, airzer vape and spare batteries, knife sharpner, mini torch, bum washlets, earphones and hand sanitizers plus i get to put meme patches on it too. I've had shit 5.11 rangemasterWP shoes that we're not wp, the pockets in the cheap TDU black pants always wear away after 6 month, their mini EDC torch is crap and snaps off your keychain easily. Love the Stryke trousers so comfy and useful also love my operator belt. They maker some shit but I guarrantee the Rush is not.
>>
>>1083228
>Berghouse freeflow 40
not that one but I've had a tonne of poor quality berghaus stuff from zips on top of the range coats, my cheapish 20l rucksack and stupidly I bought some expiditor ridge boots that I've returned before having chance to be broken in because leaks where some lace stitching has come away. AVOID BERGHAUS !! as contrast I have a raincoat fleece combo that has a plastic zip that is way more sturdy than the shitty metal ones that came on the mountaineering jacket that fucked up after a year
>>
>>1084398
I had the RUSH 48. It fell apart in 2 months of "normal" use for its design (I was using it as a range bag). First the left shoulder strap let go at the lower attachment point, and I sewed it back on. Then the main compartment zipper came un-sewn, which I couldn't fix myself, so I contacted 5.11 for warranty service (supposed to be 1 year mats&craftsmanship warranty) and they told me to fuck off and they wouldn't even fix it on my dime because I'd already re-sewn the shoulder strap and "voided the warranty".
>>
File: IMG_1934.jpg (469KB, 2048x1175px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1934.jpg
469KB, 2048x1175px
>>1084503
5.11 Doesn't sell a 48 Hour bag I'm guessing you mean the 24 hour. And I'd like to know where you got your bag because there is an issue with counterfeit bags being sold especially on AMAZON which was a surprise as you'd think 5.11 would put a can on the fake shit.

I've had my bag for a while and I bought it in person from LApolicegear in California as they are a licensed 5.11 seller. I looked at all they had and the RUSH 72 was the most well made and would work best for me in my opinion. I don't know when anyone else bought theirs but the design has been slightly updated reinforced, and I can't imagine mine falling apart with the quality of the stitching and material. I know a guy who's in the Marine Corps and the bag is his EDC and he even brought it on deployment and said it's golden. I know 5.11 gets a bad rep sometimes but with the warranty and buying it directly from a seller I know well, I don't feel very worried if I was proved wrong and the bag wasn't what I feel it to be now. I'd say find a good licensed seller to look at it in person, and not sure if anyone's ever ordered direct from 5.11 and had issues but this is just my advice and experience. Different packs are for different people.
>>
>>1084573
I bought mine directly through 5.11 as part of a retail incentive (3point5, which is now Experticity) so 0% chance of it being a fake. I guess I got the name wrong, I know it wasn't the 72. I bought it about 3 years ago, and as I said it completely fell apart in 2 months.
>>
>>1084578
Oh, I should also say that I've had several other issues with 5.11 products failing well before the end of the manufacturer's warranty and them refusing to honor it.
>bought some 5.11 combat boots, soles delaminated in the first week
"you did something wrong, your fault, we're not fixing it". Niggers they're marketed as COMBAT BOOTS and made the Army approved boot list which is why I bought them. If you don't warrant them against "soldier shit" don't market them specifically to soldiers. Fortunately Shoe Goo fixed them well enough.
>buy 5.11 pen light through 3point5 (so direct from 5.11), it's DOA
"don't abuse it we don't honor products broken through abuse" Guys seriously it NEVER worked, you fucks sent it receipt-required to my store I can prove to you I filed the warranty request within 24 hours of us getting it.

I refuse to do any more business with them regardless how cheap their shit is to me with 3point5/Experticity. I've actually got a fair amount of their shit between non-fucked 3point5 orders and RFI when I was innamil and fully half of it has broken before their warranty period ended, they're repaired or replaced exactly 1 thing under warranty (a bigger flashlight I got through RFI).
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.