[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 7

File: desktop-1454952160.jpg (98KB, 650x917px) Image search: [Google]
desktop-1454952160.jpg
98KB, 650x917px
Questions that don't deserve their own thread.

How do I git gud at mountaineering? I have a long term goal of climbing Denali, solo if possible. I did King's peak this year in Utah by myself. I am aware that there is a huge difference in the challenge. I want to work my way up toward taller and more challenging mountains, but I don't want to get eaten by a crevasse our get stuck trying descend a cliff.

What skills and gear do I need? What mountains should I practice on?
>>
File: Nemo Sleepingbags.png (469KB, 568x600px) Image search: [Google]
Nemo Sleepingbags.png
469KB, 568x600px
I'm looking for new Sleeping bags for me and my gf. I'm tired of mummy bags so I'm thinking of switch to the Nemo spoon type. Anyone have any experience with them good or bad?

Also, anyone know if you can connect these spoon shape sleeping bags together?
>>
File: image1.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image1.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Can anyone please identify this snake for me? Killed it outside, crossposting it in /an/ but I trust /out/ more
>>
>>1075676
Fuck man u killed dale
>>
>>1075677
Friend of yours?
>>
>>1075679
Dale was a friend to us all. RIP Dale.
>>
>>1075676
Nerodia sipedon, the common water snake. Harmless, but kinda pissy.
>>
Does anyone know what this sound is?
https://u.teknik.io/4I2Im.ogg
New Jersey
>>
Where do I start camping? Im thinking of going to a state forest and just exploring it, but I'm not sure how to navigate
>>
>>1075803
Look online for either a website for the state forest and search for campgrounds, or ask your local outfitter, whether that be REI or whatever else. Car camping is generally good for your first time
Now, if you're not sure how to navigate, just look up how to use a compass and topo map

Here's my question. What is a generally good camp axe? Looking into estwing, but wanted to know if any other affordable options
>>
>>1075672
Go rectangular, thank me later.
>>
>>1075858
I haven't seen many decent weight down rectangular sleeping bags. Got any recommendations ?
>>
>>1075676
Yo whats wrong with Dale?
>>
>>1075839
>>1075803
Local /out/fitter here,

If you come in and ask that kind of a question I'd be more than happy to answer with all kinds of suggestions. Make use of people like me. We don't do this for the meager money, we do it to share our passions and revel in them.
>>
>>1075913
Would you say your store carries the best possible axe for any need or budget? Props to you if it does, but many such stores will only sell the shittiest Beargrills axes, which he will then feel obliged to settle for because of the time spent going to a physical store. I absolutely encourage him to make the final purchase at a local store, but come on, the internet is clearly the best place to begin researching options.
>>
File: download.jpg (11KB, 278x181px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11KB, 278x181px
What is the lightest gun that can handle moose and grizzly? Bonus points for autoloader, but wheel guns are OK too. Gotta save them grams. Cross posting on /k/.
>>
>>1075988
Hunting, or defensive? A well placed shot from the side at 200 yards is a whole lot different than an enraged animal charging you from 20 feet away.
>>
>>1075992
It's for back country hiking, mostly in the Uintas.

It'd be for when a hungry/mom bear decides I'm to exist for no longer, or for when a bull moose decides to do what moose do and just mess everything up.
>>
>>1075997
Since you are hiking I am going to go out on a limb and say you dont want to carry a rifle/shotgun. In which case I would suggest a large frame revolver in something like .44Mag. For large muscular animals you want as big a bullet as possible, moving at comparatively slow speeds. There are other options like .454 and .500 but they have a fuckton of recoil and are just not pleasant to practice with. Im not a limp wrister by any means and .500S&W is just shitty to shoot more than a few times as a novelty.
>>
>>1076003
Forgot to mention, disregard anyone who makes comments like "9mm is more than enough, its all about shot placement"

At short distances (the kind when hiking) a bear/moose can close on you extremely quickly and you arent going to have time to pick perfect shots. There is/was a video on /gif/ of a guy unloading 15 rounds of .40S&W into a female moose, reloading, and dumping another 4-5 before she finally dropped a few feet in front of him. (and he started shooting before she charged) Had that been a male in rut, the shooter would have been dead as a doornail. A bear is a lot more solidly built than a moose. The only good thing I can say is after a quick search, it looks like only black bears are in that range, which makes things a lot easier for you. Black bears scare fairly easy, and are much smaller/less muscular than a brown bear
>>
>>1075672
my wife has one because she likes to pull her knees up and she loves it. i just have a regular mummy, so i don't know if two will connect. check their website.
>>
what's the best hat from REI?

trucker vs boonie?
>>
>>1075879
Cumulus from Poland, if by decent you mean not heavy.
>>
File: temp.jpg (56KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
temp.jpg
56KB, 1000x1000px
Best Arc'teryx hardshell?
Need something warm enough to go innamountains up north during winter.

>inb4 ">arcteryx"
i have money and they make good stuff
>>
>>1076116
hardshell or parka? because hardshell isn't warm, thats what mid layer is for. What activities do you need the jacket for?
>>
>>1075649
how do i get over being a giant pussy that's afraid to sleep out innawoods by myself? I'm afraid of bears and people
>>
>>1076129
get drunk, single malt cures cowardice.
>>
>>1076129
Gun.

I sleep with a gun.
>>
>>1076116
>wants warmth from a hardshell
Typical arcteryx customer, doesn't know the first thing about technical clothing but insists on dropping big bucks on specialized garments without even knowing their uses.
>>
>>1076176
>Typical arcteryx customer, doesn't know the first thing about technical clothing but insists on dropping big bucks on specialized garments without even knowing their uses.

not op but now i'm curious. Why is this a waste?
>>
>>1076179
Hardshells have minimal to no insulation. They'll keep water and wind out but you're gonna be damn cold. Gotta throw a puffy or fleece layers underneath that bitch.

It's a waste because people just by the most expensive thing without knowing what it's for or quality and just base off price. Just because you spent $500 on a jacket doesn't mean it will do what you want if it's the wrong type of jacket.
>>
Does anyone have an idea to attach a lanyard to a knife with no hole for it in the handle?
>inb4 drill a hole
>>
>>1076198
Do you really need a lanyard though?
>>
does bear spray work/worth carrying?
>>
>>1076208
Yes, and yes if you are in bear territory.
>>
>>1076179
>>1076184
This, plus the jacket hsa to fit your activity, a skiing jacket is different from a hiking jacket is different from a cold weather anorak.
>>
>>1075649
Went on a hike today and got rained on. My rain jacket did wonderfully but I now have a real need for waterproof (or resistant) pants. Any suggestions less than $100 (or better yet, less than $60- broke college student)
>>
>>1076248
Rain kilt/skirt man. It's only 30$. Pure functionality.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170807-225638.png (308KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170807-225638.png
308KB, 1080x1920px
Any recommendationa for a /out/ watch with /out/ functions?
Does anyone have a Suunto watch, like pic related?
>>
>>1076248
I wear Tru-spec. They were $30 on Amazon when I scooped them.

Takes a minute to get them wet. If they do get wet they dry quick.
>>
>>1076271
I have some tru-spec, my only gripe is that the cut on them is excessively baggy for me (long skinny legs). But I do have a friend who offered to lend me her macabi skirt when she isn't using it (she never uses it). Anyone used one? Downsides?
>>
>>1076251
I bought the cheapest reasonably accurate altimeter I could find and it's been great.

The band sucks, the thermometer doesn't work unless you leave the watch off for thirty minutes, and the backlight sucks but it's $35 and the altimeter is actually not bad. Would recommend.
>>
>>1076202
I do
>>
Is there anything fundamentally different between backpacking sleeping bags and camping sleeping bags? I have a 12-year old Kelty Eclipse 35 sleeping bag, I was wondering if I'd be able to put it into a stuff sack and compress it down enough to backpack it.
>>
>>1076421
No don't do it, you absolutely cannot put camping equipment in a backpack and carry it around. You'll just humiliate yourself. You have to buy two separate sleep systems. Get a second backpack while you're at it.
>>
>>1076438
rip
>>
How do I know where I'm allowed to wild camp? I want to hike like a mile into the forest and stay a few days. What keywords should be I be looking for?
>>
>>1076604
It's not exactly rocket science. Legislature varies from country to country but in the end, the only thing that matters is that the owner of the land where you are setting up camp doesn't catch you doing so.
>>
>>1076617
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I'm in the states. I'd like to be as legal as possible.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.