[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/out/ clothing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2

How are you all doing /out/

Me and a friend are considering to make a clothing brand specifically for hikers, campers, and that sort of stuff.

We've been looking through a bunch of different fabrics and contacted a few local tailors.

I just want to know what you guy's want/need.
>>
Sorry for the bad English, not my first language
>>
>>1075381
Its going to be hard to compete with major brands anon. Going head to head with major brands in terms of functionality wont do you any good. Try going the aesthetic route instead. Emulate traditional mountain clothing with modern technology.
>>
>>1075386
Me and my pal were thinking about taking some of the design of more modern clothing and reduce the price a bit (by getting rid of some unnecessary features usually) but still keeping the quality up.
>>
What country are you in?

I agree with >>1075386 Build for aesthetics AND durability, 2 things modern gear from big companies tends to lack. You can't beat established brands at the low price game. If you try you're just burning your own money.
>>
>>1075381
>This is a Jacket but when turned it's a stove, a boat and a toilet.
Don't go the multifunctional route. That's all I have to say.
>>
>>1075401
aesthetics is highly subjective
>>
>>1075381
Make something durable that can be used in the woods. It should give decent camoflage ability while not looking "military" and not make you look like a larper when actually meeting people.
>>
>>1075401
I am currently in the United States but I am originally from Lebanon.
>>
>>1075381
Functional stuff is best for the usual reasons: dries fast, keeps warm, durable, folds into small space, lightweight. If they look nice enough to wear at the city, that is a nice bonus.

Often the sleeves for many brands are too short even with XL/XXL sizes. Pocket placement is very crucial to ergonomics.

Around here (the Nordics) farmers are heavy buyers of hiking pants (the fell/mountain kind of rugged ones with waterproofed partd) since they have to move a lot whatever the weather and the clothes have to tolerate whatever wear and tear is thrown at them.

So dunno what your niche would be. I doubt design alone would make you win. You would just be one of many "designed in x, made in China" setups with long tirades about corporate social responsibility and other stuff on your website, whereas the main thing, the products look like clones of others, with just a different logo sewn to them.

Just pick one thing, and be better in it than everyone else and stand out from the masses. Then expand to other things and keep the same philosophy. And know when you sell to a bigger brand your ideals will just die. Just look at Ben and fucking Jerry ice cream. They were delicious, now they taste the same industrialized goop like everything else.

>inb4 management consulting
>pro bono only for u my friend
>>
>>1075552
I am really grateful for your response, anon. My main focus when it comes to the market would be on the US. I hate seeing fellow Americans use shitty gear because they bought it for cheap. I wanna make sure my products are made with quality and of course not make my products where my workers would be treated like crap like china. If I'm really lucky maybe I could break into the Swedish or Norwegian market as well because most of the designs that are inspiring me are from those area's.
>>
>>1075388
>taking some of the design of more modern clothing and reduce the price a bit (by getting rid of some unnecessary features usually) but still keeping the quality up.
That sounds like just what I need.
I really like the benefits of modern fabrics like goretex, but all of this fancy shit tacked on the jacket makes it heavy (so the fabric will get flimsy thin, so that it can still be sold as ultralight) and useless, so I'd love to see something like you are promising.

However,
> contacted a few local tailors.
> currently in the United States but I am originally from Lebanon.
If you mean "local" as in "US", I doubt you can produce anything for a sub $1000 price.
My gf is a tailor, and we have also been looking into making some stuff, but the problem is threefold:

>good fabrics are expensive. Sure Arcteryx et al. have a lot of their sticker price made up from "brand value", but some 3 layer gore tex with a light and solid shell fabric is not cheap. And even non-membrane stuff ain't really cheap, if you want to be "we have some t-shirts with some cool climbing/hiking/surfing/kayaking/whatevering prints on them" microbrand number 234982909432

>There is a lot of work in a well fitting piece of /out/ clothing. Complexity wise, it's similar to a tailored suit, so theres a lot of work hours in one

>if you want to do something water proof, you need seam tapes, and they seem kinda hard to get in good quality, I have heard. Also, if oyu want to keep the wheight down, you have to have really tight tolerances, which normal tailors are not used to

Now i'm not saying it can't be done, but you are in for an uphill batlle
>>
The g 1000 fabric is pretty good, but I think Fjallraven might have a strong Patton on that
>>
>>1075841
>strong Patton on that
You mean a patent?
If so, it's probably way too old. That stuff exists since at least the 60s. Anyways, it's just 30%poly, 70%cotton (or the other way round?) and there are many copies around that are quite decent.
>>
>>1075381
if there is cotton in any of your clothing i will literally mail your company more glitter and tampons than you will know what to do with
>>
>>1075381
Make me a rainjacket: mil spec goretex (bivy bag material), pit zips, wired hood with adjustments, zipper that can be used with gloves, not pink, ten years guaranteed.

In fact, sell me Arcteryx.
>>
File: Swatch_1024x1024.jpg (96KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Swatch_1024x1024.jpg
96KB, 720x540px
>>1075447
>It should give decent camoflage ability while not looking "military"
Pic related. I think it looks more normal with flannel, but perhaps a good designer can do something about it. Otherwise, you go for plain olive which is ubiquitous already.

>>1075841
Fjällräven should have patented their superb marketing, making out plain old polycotton as some kind of wonder fabric. For what it's worth, there ARE quality differences with polycotton, but there's never any guarantee that the company won't quietly start using the cheaper stuff at any point.
>>
>>1075864
Fjällräven feel like a complete rip off compared to what you can get from other brands for a similar price. Yes it's durable stuff, but it's also waaaaay overpriced because of that silly little leather fox patch.
>>
>>1075864
I've got that bison bushcraft wool shirt in "autumn" and it's great. I'd always appreciate more choice in non-military looking clothing that still blends in with the surroundings.
>>
How about make literally anything first, then come shit up the board. Your idea is stupid and will amount to nothing. Get a normal job, muzzie.
>>
>>1075974
Go back to /pol/ where you belong, nigger
>>
>>1075841
>G1000
Seconded. I have the Arktis parka and it works very well for me. The G1000 parts feel indestructable.
>>
>>1075870
I guess the difference is really the durability, you buy once instead of new one every 5-6 years. It might actually be cheaper over time.
>>
>>1076016
Isn't g1000 basically tent fabric like a gorka?
>>1075381
Keep it simple, functional, and bs about muh heritage designs and how you're "authentic"
>>
Hey me and my friend were thinking about sucking each others dicks and I just wanted to ask /out/ is it gay if we do it in the woods?
>>
>>1076061
It's not gay if it's in the woods. I learned that in boy scouts.
>>
>>1076042
"Since 1874 Roth's brothers craftsmen have been hand building functional, no frills clothing for the working man. While other companies have used chink children to mass produce fruity Ney York styles, we here at Roth have relied on the skills of burly mustached men, who smell of pipe tobacco, to hand stitch our garments from the hides of grizzly bears. I'll drink a single batch IPA to that. Roths brothers, where tradition is felated."
>>
>>1076061
Why would that ever be gay? It isn't like the balls are touching
>>
Wool lined cuben fibre everything.
>>
>>1076114
What about that on the inside and some water resistant material on the outside
>>
>>1076125
Wait so cuben fibre lined will everything? LARPers and UL both appeased bringing together the two main out factions spreading harmony through OPs new clothing company??
>>
>>1076020
I know lots of people who've had bad experiences with the durability of Fjällräven (their trousers in particular, dodgy stitching). Their products are shit-tier desu.
>>
>>1076042
g1000 is just plain old polycotton. nothing revolutionary about it what so ever. it's just marketing done right.
>>
>>1076020
Yeah I'm sure the price is entirely justified and not just making money from gullible customers. Their cuts are pretty standard, there's not much extra features and I refuse to believe that polycotton fabric can account for a hundred bucks on a jacket.

I've actually read substantiated complaints about FR quality a few years ago, but they have subsided a bit now. For what it's worth, I bought a jacket in 2009 and it's started to show wear after about 7 years of use, which is fine by me.
>>
Cost and time could be saved if you don't put 100 pockets that the customer will never use
>>
>>1076164
This x1000
>>
>>1076141
>>1076159
As I said, I've heard fewer complaints lately and there are many who still like them. They're still overpriced sure, but not bad products strictly. It's just the general problem that any brand big enough will have the incentive to cut corners and monetize their reputation.
>>
>>1076172
I'm willing to bet that most of their customers are more concerned with fashion than actually being outdoors. That's the case where I am at least.
>>
>>1076159
One thing which they certainly have done is to still play the Sweden card, though they manufacture things in China. Which is probably a reason why quality issues crept in over time. China is getting more expensive and they cannot jack up the prices, so price competition at the offshore source leads to shittier quality if one is not careful.

I have a big ass FR backpack bought 15+ years ago and so far the only thing which has broken in it is the rain cover. It broke because (it looked like) baggage handlers had dragged the full bag over asphalt on one unnamed airport. I got a new cover, and that's the only thing replaced so far.

Ditto for a winter jacket, has been with me 8 years and still no issues. I wear it in the winter basically all the time when outside. It's China made so I guess I got lucky.

Generally FR has very good quality, I've been satisfied so far.

There are many good brands in Sweden and Norway. For example Norrona has a 5-year warranty and if the issue does not fall under a warranty (as in you knifed your elbow and broke the sleeve) they will do any repairs for pretty cheap. Have not had to use it that service though myself.
>>
>>1075381
We'll I'm a slut for any kind of half decent, affordable wool. Socks, hats, etc etc - I can never have enough
>>
>>1076289
Well*

>suck my dick siri
>>
You'd have to think of something that sets you apart.

That's hard to do because today people mostly want the most efficient, lightweight gear possible and that's very difficult to do as a start-up unless you have some sort of specialized knowledge.
>>
>>1076253
Agreed. I own a bunch of their gear but would never buy it full price. If you want it lurk until you find a bargain, otherwise fuck it.
>>
>>1075401
>durability and aesthetics
literally every piece of gear I have from North Face, Patagonia, Marmot, KUIU, Sitka, Arc'teryx and I'm sure a couple others I forgot meets that bill.
>>
>>1075381
>Hemp fibre
It is some of the toughest shit you can get
Some good pants, waxed jackets and similar things would be really nice and since there are very few producers, you can ask a premium price and still find buyers.
>>
>>1076307
That does sound like a great idea. Why don't more businesses use this?
>>
>>1075381
Breathable, durable, stretchy, natural colored, and a decent amount of pockets, but don't make it look autistic.
>>
>>1077034
Not a million pockets though, I hate that shit
>>
>>1077023
Prohibition pretty much fucked the whole market.
Also cheap cotton and being able to sell more cloths when they break after a year or two.
There is very few producers of raw fibre and fabric (mostly China) and the handful of brands using it seem to be mostly in the hipster meme market.

I haven't managed to find good outdoor clothing, and I'd actually be willing to pay good money for it if it has the right quality.
>>
>>1077036
Yeah make them fake pockets cuz those are better
>>
>>1077093
Great idea anon
>>
can you make an ultralight dry fast long sleeve that does not make me look i have man titties.
>>
>>1077236
I'll make sure it make it skintight, I wanna seem them man nippies
>>
What about poly cotton fibers? They seem to work pretty good while hiking.
>>
>>1078229
Great, the gross sweaty stink of polyester with the slow drying of cotton, what more could you want?
>>
>>1078229
>>1078242
Polycotton is a shell material, it doesn't get stinky, the baselayer does. It is a good windblocker, can be impregnated against water but will soak eventually. It is robust because of the coarse polyester, yet breathable because of the cotton. Since it is rather thin, it doesn't hold much water and dries quickly.
In short, it's more robust than pure poly shells, pretty good for dry weather and still okay for humid one if paired with a hardshell or poncho.
>>
>>1075847

I wear Adidas's "Ultimate Tee" for an /out/ shirt and when I went to pick up a couple new ones I found that they were now the "Ultimate Tee 2.0" and were made with like 20% cotton. I should do this.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.