[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Maxpedition Falcon II: Any good for day hiking?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 0513F_detail_1024x1024.jpg (48KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
0513F_detail_1024x1024.jpg
48KB, 680x680px
I do a lot of hiking in the Southwest and I'v been using a Camelback backpack for a long time (holds 3 liter reservoir and enough room for other shit). It's done a good job but it's beat to shit and I'm on the market for a new day hiking pack. I've heard a lot about Maxpedition but I've never tried on myself. I've been looking at their stuff and the Falcon II seems like a good day pack. It's compatible with 3 liter drink bladders and looks like it's got plenty of space for other shit. Anyone have experience with Maxpedition? It's a little pricy. Are these just for good old boys trying to play soldier or are they decent for day hikes in the desert/mountains?
>>
overpriced...
>>
>>1074429

I've got the same Falcon II as you've posted, OP. If you're willing to drop the cash it is a very well constructed day pack. I haven't been with it in heavy rain yet, but the coating is hydrophobic enough to keep your stuff dry. Maxpedition has a lot of accessories that are way too expensive for what they're worth, but any modular MOLLE attachments work fine. The one complaint I have about it is that the shoulder straps are not as comfortable as most. If you want something that has tactical styling, there are other cheaper packs on the market to shop around with.
>>
>>1074429
If you're going to do any serious hiking, you want something that will have an airspace between your back and the bag. Everything else is just personal preference.
>>
>>1074429
This is a sterotypical chinkshit tactibag form factor. The shitty shoulder straps will kill you and the carrying ergonomics might fuck you up. The only good thing are the pockets, easy to arrange things.
>>
Just get an Alice pack. It is way more adaptable, and the frame keeps the pad off your back, so you won't be damp from sweat all day.
>>
File: Osprey Stratos backpanel.jpg (376KB, 770x513px) Image search: [Google]
Osprey Stratos backpanel.jpg
376KB, 770x513px
>>1074560
Yeah, I'm glad you brought that up, that was one of the things I was worried about. My old Camelback had that mesh back frame (similar to the pic posted), and it was comfortable on desert hikes. I feel like the Max might get waterlogged with my back sweat in the high summer...
>>
Tactical bags are fucking for stupid hiking. Sorry to say.
>>
>>1074741
That sentence hurt my head.
>>
>>1074429
if you're looking to hike, do not buy. i hiked mulitple longer day hikes with it and for the money it was trash. it's not comfortable. other bags give you more/better for the same or similar price.
>>
Maxpedition is meme asian made shit. No that is a terrible day pack. Get a day pack from an actual backpacking company.
>>
>>1074429
It's in the same category as 5.11 packs, or any number of other "tactical" bags. They're pretty terrible for anything other than keeping in your truck/car or going to the range with.

Will they carry some shit while you move your feet? Yes. Will they hold up to prolonged abuse? I've seen more dead maxpedition and 5.11 bags in my relatively short time on this Earth than I care to recall.

Day pack means something different to everyone. If you're talking a leisurely stroll through a local park or just getting around town, you'll be fine if you like the look/function/feel. If you intend to use it for heavier duty stuff I'd keep shopping.
>>
>>1074858
Hmm. That's looking like the general consensus in this thread. I'll probably just go with another Camelback.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.