[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Being /out/ in Montana and Idaho

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 10

File: 1501020370023s.jpg (7KB, 250x131px) Image search: [Google]
1501020370023s.jpg
7KB, 250x131px
Hi, /out/.

This September, I’m road tripping from Minneapolis to the Gorge Amphitheater in Washington State. Along the way, I’d like to take some time to enjoy some magnificent scenery in Montana, and possibly Idaho.

I’ll be renting a car in Mpls, and dropping it off in Seattle after the music thing. From there, I’m flying home. I may or may not bring camping gear, depending on what I decide and possibly, the advice I get here. If I don’t bring camping gear, I’ll just shell out for lodges and what not.

So, where would you stop. Would I be a fool to camp, or a fool to not camp? Specific hotels/motels/lodges/campgrounds that are not to be missed? If you have educated opinions, please sound off! Thank you.

P.S.

As for time, I can hit the road as early as Saturday, September 9th. I have to be at the gorge on the Saturday the 16th for the event and am flying home on Monday, the 18th.

Apologies for the lengthy post.
>>
I live in Sandpoint, will you be through here? What /out/ will you be equipped for? There is a full years worth of quality hiking in the Selkirks alone, plus the Cabinets, not to mention MTB, climbing, etc.

Recommended day hikes near Sandpoint:
>Scotchmans Peak
>Pend Oreille Divide Trail or any lake near it
>Harrison Lake
>Pyramid and Ball Lakes (Lotta driving to get there)
>Roman Nose lakes

I'd say 'in that order', for the most part.

As for camping, take any USFS road and just camp. From Sandpoint head north on 95 and then on to Upper Pack River, or from Clark Fork find Trestle Creek Rd off Highway 200. Drive WAY the fuck up either of those and you're golden. Like 15 or 20 miles I'm talking.

What else ya in to? How many days ya got? Priest Lake adds a whole host of options but it's kind of a drive just to get up to that area and then still more remote to drive the USFS and IDL roads to get to trails.

Pic is from the trail to Pyramid Lake, this is literally only a day hike to have this remoteness and mid week you would almost exclusively have this shit to your self.
>>
>>1074280
If you're going through southern idaho, consider Craters of The Moon. It's pretty unique. I haven't done much in Montana frankly, but there are two hot springs resorts that aren't awfully expensive and are worth staying at: Jackson Hot Springs and Quinns. Check em out for lodging.
>>
>>1074280
>I live in Sandpoint, will you be through here?

Actually, yes. I'd like to visit Glacier National Park, and head to the Gorge Amphitheater from them. It looks like Sandpoint is on the way.

What else ya in to?
Nature and nightlife. My nightlife fix will be met at my final destination.

How many days ya got?
I plan on leaving Minneapolis on 9/9. I have to get to the gorge early on 9/16. Thanks for the hiking recommendations. Not going to bother bringing a bike as I'm flying back.

>>1074282
Probably not going to hit southern Idaho, but if my plans change, Ill check it out. And I'll definitely look into the resorts you recommended. Thank you.
>>
>>1074162
Southern Idaho here, if you have time, sawtooth wilderness is definitely worth it, a bit more out of the way tho. Yellowstone could be an option, but its always crowded as fuck.
>>
>>1074162
Also, Paridiso>ABGT
>>
>>1074162
First day of this drive, you're going to be bored. Minneapolis to Fargo is not a great drive, Fargo to Bismarck is not a great drive, Bismarck to Montana starts getting good, but it will be dark by the time you get over there and you'll miss some cool views.

Plan to churn out a big chunk of the drive the first day, and then try to get an early start so you're driving in daylight for the whole way between Dickinson to Montana.
>>
>>1076075
Yeah, it looks cool. But I've done Electric Forest, Electric Zoo, and Electric Daisey Carnival, as well as ABGT last year in Amsterdam.

They were all great but as an A&B diehard, nothing beats ABGT.
>>1076285
Roger that.
>>
File: glacier st mary lake.jpg (1MB, 2500x1200px) Image search: [Google]
glacier st mary lake.jpg
1MB, 2500x1200px
>>1074162

Early Sept is actually a great time of year for Northern Montana. If that's close to your route I would head up to Glacier National Park. The crowds will be mostly gone and weather still reasonable. The other parks and forests are great, but this is kind of the ideal 1-2 weeks of the year for Glacier, so I'd go.

Camping would also probably be great and you wouldn't need reservations....but take bear safety seriously. Glacier does have the densest population of grizzly in the lower 48.
>>
Idaho is a completely flat, barren, desert that deserves no attention. It is also overrun with racist yokels. Avoid at all costs
>>
>>1076792
What about Sawtooth?
>>
>>1076750
Thanks, that's exactly what I was thinking/hoping. I might skip Yellowstone and spend more time at Glacier, which will also cut down on time spent driving.

>take bear safety seriously. Glacier does have the densest population of grizzly in the lower 48.

Not going to lie. Pic related has me quite concerned. I'm reading up on bear safety and it seems kinda tough.
>>
>>1077279
Sawtooth mountains are an urban legend
>>
>>1077289
>>1076792

Oh, OK. I'll drive from Minneapolis to western Montana, then get a flight from there to Washington as to take your advice and avoid Idaho at all costs.
>>
>>1077318
;) Sounds good. Really though, Idaho is cool, check especially the sawteeths.
>>
>>1077341
Will it be underwhelming after Glacier National Park? Should I skip it for more time at Glacier, or is it worth it to split my time between both?
>>
>>1077344

I have never been to glacier desu. The Sawtooth Forest is incredible, and i have heard the same about glacier. I don't think you will regret it either way.
>>
>>1077344
Skip glacier altogether it's lame in comparison
>>
>>1074162

From Wayzata take hwy 212 all the way out to Red Lodge MT...over the Beartooth pass and into Yellowstone...its one of the most scenic roads in the country and the least used entrance to Yellowstone...and that takes into the Lamar Valley which is full of critters...then out the Northwest entrance into Paradise Valley (aptly named) and back up to the Hwy 90 to continue your journey West...

(you can take I-94 across NoDak and catch 212 just outside of Billings...)
>>
>>1077465
That sounds awesome. Thank you!
>>
>>1074162
Craters of the Moon and Hells Canyon are pretty cool
>>
>>1074162
South idaho here. Some beautiful places around here and many mountains and rivers, lakes, hotsprings.
But you know what they say
>go to idaho for vacation
>leave on probation
Cops LOVE out of staters
>>
>>1077284

montana is smokey a.f. right now and may not clear up by september. don't stress on bear safety--carry bear spray and ask a ranger for help if need be. camping in GNP at the major car camping spots is super reasonable and not unsafe.

i will make you a map of my recommended route and share it in a sec
>>
>>1074162

OK Anon here is the map:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AUpyoyf3Wz2ZHB4osGWi9kZoIWs&usp=sharing
>>
>>1077701

Couple things to note:

Rent a good car. There is some fantastic driving on this route, but you'll want something that is fun to drive. Don't get a shit econobox or an SUV, you'll regret it.

If you are going from MSP to Glacier (best part of montana, i think) you can save time going through north dakota. don't go through north dakota. its "kill yourself" dull. South Dakota is much nicer, and you get to drive through southeast montana, which is a better than northeast montana.

there is going to be an absurd quantity of camping along the way. so much that you probably don't need a hotel, and the weather will be good.

lots and lots and lots of old school western bars on this route. not uncommon to stop for a road beer in MT.

if you can, drive from west glacier to polbridge, noted on the map, and spend the night. theres a good hostel and it's like going back 150 years to a time before the west was settled.

again, most of this driving is on old 2 lane roads, so a good car like a subaru brz, if you can rent one, will reap dividends.
>>
>>1077708
dope route senpai, Mitchell, SD gotta check that corn palace. Do a hike in the black hills/check mt. rushmore, just cause. Check devils tower. Red Lodge and bear tooths are lit. yellowstone I don't give a fuck about, drive through and you're good. I'd say drive up i-15 to shelby, then across to glacier. seeing those mountains come up on the horizon was a magical moment for me (good music is essential for this trip). I'd spend most my time in glacier if I could. They should have shuttles still going so you can do dope hikes without having to hitchhike unless that's your bag. For day hikes my top ones were highline trail, gunsight pass, ice berg lake, mt brown lookout. Bring a good camera, that shit is amazing. Also a fishing pole, you don't need a permit to fish inside glacier, just follow their regulations. I mostly fished lake mcdonald. Oh shit, gotta get a piece of pie at park cafe by st. mary. The lodges are cool as shit to check out, but the food probably still sucks and is overpriced.
I'd also make a quick stop at Whitefish when you leave. The view of big mountain from town is sweet.

west glacier to pole bridge is a dirt road, not really necessary if you ask me.

I never made it west from there though, but Leavenworth in washington looks interesting. Those mountains up there are definately something I want to hit soon.

Post pictures when you get home!
>>
>>1077701
Wow. Thank you so much for the effort. It looks like a great route to take. I'm getting excited now. I just wish that I had more time as not to rush through everything.

>>1077728
Good shit, thank you.
>>
>>1077372
Get a load of this butthurt Idawhore
>>
>>1077728
There's a paved road from West Glaicer to Polebridge that goes outside of the park. Bowman and Kintla are both breathtaking
>>
>>1076070
Last year I went east through the sawtooths it is gods country.
From there we headed north towards Bozeman through a town called salmon.
Would recommend.
Great for car camping to Many great options to list

If you really want to see crater of the moons just watch a youtube its moonscaped not a lot there but wind.
>>
>>1078085

Get a load of this butthurt Idawhore
>>
File: 35.jpg (59KB, 589x442px)
35.jpg
59KB, 589x442px
>>1078079
dude, homie doesn't have time to check out bowman, or kintla. Anons time would be better spent doing quick hikes like avalanche lake and hidden lake in the same day.

Also your picture is lake mcdonald...

this is kintla lake
>>
File: DSCN0784small.jpg (232KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0784small.jpg
232KB, 640x480px
>>1078079
also I guess 7 miles of the road to polebridge is unpaved...

also woooo polebridge, here's the picture, now you've seen it
>>
File: 15160400345_46bbc94231_b.jpg (182KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
15160400345_46bbc94231_b.jpg
182KB, 1024x768px
>>1078125
It's Bowman ya mong
Also there's a nice trail that starts there
>>
File: IMG_3205.jpg (2MB, 3072x1728px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3205.jpg
2MB, 3072x1728px
>>1078125
i'm retarded, that is bowman, just looks so similar to LMD it's not worth it to me if you're strapped for time.

this is LMD end of september from the boat dock at the lodge
>>
>>1078142
dope pic anon
>>
File: 20150808_135818 (1).jpg (510KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
20150808_135818 (1).jpg
510KB, 1280x720px
>>1078156
Not OC but this one is
>>
>>1078073
>Idawhore
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.