[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying/Developing Raw Land

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: treesfog.jpg (871KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
treesfog.jpg
871KB, 1600x900px
The wife and I plan on buying 20+ acres in the rural south when I retire. Anyone have any tips/tricks/hints for buying undeveloped land? We're thinking of doing one of those log homes...
>>
bump for potentially interesting thread
>>
>>1072058
Wish I had some worthy input but im just anoother /out/ist who dreams of doing the same thing. What did you do/are you doing to pull this off financially?

Depending where you are Id recommend solar, water basin, and as much gardenng as you have the effort.
>>
>>1072058
tery raising goats, the milk is a freaking miracle, and they are easy to raise and to milk.
>>
>>1072058
>Put up barbed wire and no tresspassing signs immediately
>Make sure the right of way onto the property follows state and local codes
>Plant long term cash crops like gensing and black walnut early and heavily
>Dig a well/secure solar power if you want off grid
>Make sure any bodies of water have banks that are taken care of with no invaisives/plants that choke out the sides of the water.
>Go to a local nature center and ask where to buy bulk wildflower seeds. 99% of the time you can get a lot for cheap.
>>
>>1072086

> Id recommend solar, water basin, and as much gardenng as you

How will that help me buy land you double nigger?
>>
>>1072058
>tips/tricks/hints for buying undeveloped land?
Physically walk the property before buying. Also, plots that would be difficult to commercially farm or log should cost less than those with ready access -- but they'll also present more of a challenge to build on.
>>
>>1072312
oops. my bad.
id recommend GET A FUCKING JOB AND EARN MONEY then.
>>
>>1072319
Go back to b retard
>>
>>1072312
Get money you fucking hippy faggot. Do you think ppl just give labs away?
>>
>>1072058
Along with all of the other good advice in the thread:
>get soil samples done
>check for water table depth for well drilling
>check local county ordinance for leech fields and other septic requirements
>plant any perennial crop you'd like after purchase
>check to see if there are existing utilities (i.e. electricity) running near your plot
>check zoning requirements to make sure no CAFO farms will be built before you move down

Also, good advice would be to look for places that have developed roads and a creek or other tributary running through the plot. If you want your log cabin to be made from your own trees, get a plot with woods growing already. And plant a patch of cherry or Doug fur for heating. Nothing's worse than only having shit tons of cotton trees for fire wood.
>>
Check with local logging companies. Depending on how much land you buy/how many trees there are, you might be able to get them to come in and clear the land for you at a great reduction to the cost and effort that it would take you to clear it yourself. Of course, it depends how much land you want cleared and how many logs you need leftover for the cabin. But it'll probably still be better than cutting and hauling the logs yourself.
>>
>>1072058
Watch out for invasive plant species, may sound stupid but unwanted plants can be very hard to remove, so hard to remove that they actually hurt the price of the land, but unknowing people may pay full price
>>
File: treesun.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
treesun.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
OP here... Checking on thread...
I'm loving the input. Cash crops, goats (fucking, duh... goats are awesome), firewood advice. I appreciate the advice. My wife and I are both from the rural south. Texas for me, Arkansas for her. I'm out in Commifornia, carpetbagging. The plan is to take our winnings and move back to the promised land. Probably Arkansas, much cheaper there. We're still a few years off from running back to Dixie, but I want to try and craft the exit strategy as completely as possible. Please continue to discuss.
>>
Reconsider the log home. I grew up in one and own one myself.

If you harvest and build yourself you have a lot of tools to buy and skills to learn. If you buy a kit, it's still a lot of work and pretty pricey.

They aren't very efficient, insulation wise. Even after chinking.

And finally, they are prone to rot if not properly cared for; expect to perform log refinishing every 5-8 years of some sort. This can range from simply pressure washing and staining to having to media blast the logs and then sand them.

I like mine but would seriously reconsider buying one again. If you're doing it for simplicity, consider buying a portable sawmill and just making lumber that way.
>>
>>1072761
how do you build a log cabin?
is there some kind of platform you build upon?
with foundation?
>>
>>1072834
Those have been and still are quite popular in Finland and Russia. And Canada AFAIK, any place with pine.

Finnish wiki with more info than you want: https://wikikko.info/wiki/Luokka:Hirsirakentaminen

Use Google Translate or something to bypass moon language (tm)
>>
>>1072058
What aspect of buying the land are you needing help with?
>finding land
Okay, the land is out there, hit up all the various website realtors and check estate auctions.
>affording the land
With the "when I retire" line, I highly recommend starting a second IRA or other low-risk, money-building investment and adding as much money as you possibly can to it. Talk to a financial advisor (most of the big-name investment firms such as Edward Jones do free consultations), and be aware that most IRA's have fairly stout penalties if you withdraw money prior to turning (currently) 65.
>other points to consider
Even with you doing a lot of the work yourself, there's a lot of expense that goes into developing undeveloped land. Wells aren't free, if you want community sewer/electric/water and your land is out in BFE Nowhere you're gonna have to pay at least some of the cost of them running lines clear out to you, maintenance and upkeep on solar or wind power is pretty intense and usually involves some cost, etc. Also keep in mind that "when I retire" implies you're gonna be old, and you physically won't be able to do all the shit you can now, so you'll have to pay someone else to do it for you.
>>
>>1072834
Join the logs with tenons, which can be as simple as chainsaw cutouts or as complex as actual, milled dovetails. A nice one is stickbuilt on the inside, since that provides a nice flat floor, standard walls that aren't impossible to run your electric and water lines in, and more insulation (usually spray-on or fiberglass batting).

Foundations for a log cabin can be as simple as cinderblock corner pilings on tamped earth to as complex as a full poured basement, and pretty much everything in between (half basement, crawlspace, stacked stone full-surround foundation, mortared stone/cinderblock/brick full-surround foundation, etc). By the nature of using full, large diameter logs, your floor joists are pretty goddamn versatile due to being robust. As long as your foundation doesn't shift the cabin will hold up.
>>
make some green houses so you can grow food year round
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.