[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the best shoes/boots for hiking?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 10

File: all round.png (883KB, 594x526px) Image search: [Google]
all round.png
883KB, 594x526px
What are the best shoes/boots for hiking?
>>
>>1071319
Whichever ones fit you well and that you can afford.

The best built boot on the planet is worthless if it gives you blisters or you can't afford it.
>>
>>1071319
Salomon
>>
>>1071319
Sauce?
>>
>>1071343
salomon is subpar shit made in china that the only thing good is its looks.
>>
>>1071346
on shoes or pic?
>>
File: OHsoFASSST.jpg (202KB, 1405x2000px) Image search: [Google]
OHsoFASSST.jpg
202KB, 1405x2000px
>>1071319
10 lbs furh butez
>>
File: IMG_2183.jpg (41KB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2183.jpg
41KB, 460x460px
I've put about 800 trail miles on my Nikes. im very pleased with them. My only recommendation is to switch out the insoles.

Pic related.
>>
>>1071319
Meindl, Hanwag, Lowa, Salomon, etc. Pick your poison and choose a shoe that fits your hiking style and terrain.
>>
>>1071374
The shoes bro
>>
>>1071377
>wanting to cause a forest fire
>>
>>1071742
Adding Jack Wolfskin. Heavier duty Meindl boots are masterrace for rocky/wintery terrain. Soft JW are great for mixed terrains with wetness and warmth and some cold but no snow
>>
Any thoughts on scarpa gtx? Italian leather with goretex?
Dont want to cheap out, happy to spend around $300-$350
Boots are for hunting, no snow, but cold, no trails, often very uneven ground will be hauling big packs of meat
>>
How many boots and shoes for /out/ do you guys have? I think 3 is best.
>>
>>1071319
Merrell Barefoot Trail Glove. Absolutely amazing. The lighter your shoe is, the faster you move. It's amazing.

You need to break them in for +- 2 months though. Your feet have to adjust and harden.
>>
>>1071740
Nike sfb?
I have a pair in sage green, they have awful durability. Very comfortable, but they scuff absurdly easily.
>>
>>1071740
Im not
>>1072147
But I'm just here to say that you'll be lucky to get 100 miles out of those pieces of chinese crap
>>
>>1072147

I've been putting mine through the ringer and they've lasted me.
>>
>>1071319
I like my Asolo. But really, just get something that's comfy, and has great ankle support. If you're going on a long trek (like 100 miles) be sure you break them in with day hikes first.
>>
File: kampfstiefel.jpg (120KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
kampfstiefel.jpg
120KB, 1000x1000px
>>1071319
>What are the best shoes/boots for hiking?
Depends a lot on the terrain/climate and how much you gotta carry.
So far my best boot ever was a humble swiss milsurp combat boot 90. Closely followed by a Lowa Tibet GTX.
Wouldn't want any of them in a warmer climate or when I just go day walking.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (104KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
104KB, 1280x720px
>>1071319
Lose weight and toughen up the soles of your feet. You'll love how well you can hike without footwear and stay cool. You also become more attuned to your surroundings because you need to watch your step. You don't clop around like a retard thru-hiker on a coffee binge
>>
>>1072196
*tips unwashed dreadlocks*
>>
>>1072214
I train in both boots and barefoot.

Barefoot for the increased coordination and toughened feet.

Boots for the added resistance.

Works well for me.
>>
>>1072229
What your saying is retarded. I would never walk through any bare open field in any gulf coast state. Sand burrs and cactus lurk in the grasses..

That being said. If Im in the swamp and walking around in the wet parts. I remove my footwear and walk bare foot. The only shit thing is stepping and slipping on under mud cypress knees. Often times the mud has about a ten inch sink in rate. Along the creeks edges it can end up at your knees..
>>
>>1072146

>low top
>no socks

It's like you want sprained ankles and exposure to all the poison plants/bugs that inhabit nature.

Good choice of brand, but I go with the mid length Moab Ventilator.
>>
>>1072233
It takes time to build your feet up. Eventually you get like inch thick calluses.

Go rhino skin mode. I run straight through dozens of yards of briar bushes.
>>
File: 51Q1hysYEXL.jpg (36KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
51Q1hysYEXL.jpg
36KB, 500x500px
i wear them since 2012 and they never let me down, no matter what terrain.
>>
>>1072233
>walking in mud

Dude, rusted metal, sharp sticks, thorns/briars, and broken glass are all what awaits people who step into mud that sinks up past their ankles. I've seen it happen many times. The person will have nice boots, step in mud and have a sharp "something" give them a 10 inch gash on the side of their lower leg because it was somewhere near the surface of the mud. It can be some scary shit.

>>1072242
High tops make for weak ankles.
>>
>>1072325
I've been covered and buried in mud thousands of times and never once has this happened.
>>
File: IMG_3945.jpg (81KB, 960x546px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3945.jpg
81KB, 960x546px
Find a flaw
>>
>>1072298
Look hawt, is waterproof ? What brand/moddell please
>>1072193
This, as always /out/ is different in different places. You want waterproof? comfy? Light? Cheap? Long lasting? What's the worst they'll go through ?
>>
File: 8118038347_f20dabeacb.jpg (82KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
8118038347_f20dabeacb.jpg
82KB, 500x334px
>>1072344
Lucky you.
>>
>>1072351
>Look hawt, is waterproof ? What brand/moddell please
they are, if properly prepared. magnume elite spider 8 (or something like that, you'll find it).
>>
Asolo Fugitives have been faithful to me for the past 5 years and are still holding up just fine.
>>
>>1072346
Tfw rolling your ankles on rocks.
>>
>>1072562
You must pack a lot of crap. I've literally never rolled an ankle in my life
>>
>>1072609
Second, but I'm a Brooks man. If you have strong ankles, low tops are king. How do you get strong ankles? Why, by wearing low tops, of course!
>>
>>1072196
Used to do this, until i stepped on a broken beer bottle buried in the mud.
>>
>>1072609
You must walk some pretty noob trails.
Go off trail in steep, rocky country and see how your ankles hold up.
>>
>>1072800
Not that guy, but I never rolled an ankle on the rocks, on a trail, or lumbering through chest-tall bushes and grass, and I wear cheap low running shoes. My largest weight with the pack is also 130-150kg.

On the other hand, I rolled my ankle badly while wearing laced doc martens while walking downstairs back at school, and now that I bought ecco something (sorta high top but not really) I roll my ankle just walking around the city on completely flat pavement without any additional weight, sober, unfatigued.

I guess what I'm saying is, I never saw correlation between high-tops and decreased chance of rolling my ankle.
>>
>>1072325

>High tops make for weak ankles.

That's why I said mid-length. I've rolled far too many ankles while wearing low tops while out. All it takes is one misstep on an uneven surface or hitting a stone gust right and then your hike is that much less enjoyable.

Also fuck poison ivy, thistles and all those other little fuckers keeping on the ground just waiting to taste some bare skin...
>>
>>1071319
leather ones

I will never buy another pair of synthetic outer (suede or similar) boots, because no matter how waterproof the liner may be, it can be oversaturated, and all a synthetic boot covered in stitching does is wick water.
>>
After 35 years of wearing boots, I have done the switch to trailrunners.

Holy shit, what a difference.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.