[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fur instead of camping mat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: DSC_0589 - Copy.jpg (4MB, 2760x2070px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0589 - Copy.jpg
4MB, 2760x2070px
Hi /out/

When in norway, i used a reindeer fur for camping. It isolates against the cold earth and is comfy.

Do you have any recommendations on what fur might serve me the best? I am living in Germany, if you know any store / website, let me know.

Thanks
>>
>>1071103
Your various cervid furs are fragile, the hairs are hollow and tend to break.

The warmest and most durable furs are predators, such as wolf or bear. However, these tend to be either prohibitively expensive, or restricted.

Beaver would be a good option, as would muskrat.
>>
>>1071103
>~1lb thermarest
>20lb pelt
ok
>>
I've always wanted to deck out my bed and couches with hides. You can get those lapland reindeer hides for pretty cheap. Wouldn't carry them /out/ though, except maybe as a poncho type thing
>>
>>1071103
>>>/cgl/
>>
>>1071111
Yeah it did loose some hair...

Ill check if i can find any wolf or bear, i know that i could get fox, my grand-uncle is a hunter.

>>1071127
But its not cosy and soft.

>>1071148
I slept indoors with them too, when it gets really cold its a nice thing to put in your bed.

>>1071151
There is no need to be rude, friend
>>
>>1071127
A reindeer hide weighs more like 3 lb. for a nice sized piece (similar to one in the pic).

>>1071103
Anon search for "reindeer hides lapland" or even "camping reindeer hides". Note, indoor and outdoor use have different handling.
>>
You could try Renleder.de. Greetings from Hesse!
>>
>>1071160
You've been a good friend to me. That means something.
>>
>>1072993
>Renleder.de
Geil!

>>1073001
May you have a good day friend
>>
File: Schaffell_73x146.jpg (151KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Schaffell_73x146.jpg
151KB, 1440x1080px
>>1071103
let me give you a subtle hint op
>>
>>1071111
Coyote pelts are pretty easy to come by nowadays since they've been upgraded to invasive species status.
>>
If I remember correctly, reindeer is the only one that will work, since they got hte hollow hairs, whereas most other animals dont, so you'll just press it flat when you lay on it, wheres the ren has some insulating air left.
But it's just some random bits I have heard. Never really looked for it as an option since they are heavy.
>>
>>1071148
Start trapping and rabbit hunting. Beaver, muskrat, and wild hare pelts are all very soft and baby easy to come by. Only the beaver pelts require a lot of effort to dress
>>
>>1075236
Most arctic mammals have hollow hairs
>>
>>1075277
Do you know a good method to tan the leather and not damage the hair in the process?
>>
>>1075331
Turning pelts in into leather involves removing all of the hair. You just want to toughen the skin. Just them drying out on a stretching board toughens them considerably. Backing them with cowshide or buckskin is what I do for fur mittens. Wool would also work.
>>
>>1071168
>fur-on reindeer hide
>3lb
lolno. I've got a fur-on whitetail deer hide, first thing I ever tanned myself. It weighs 22lbs. And it's quite a good bit smaller than a reindeer.
>>
>>1076290
I've dried skin before
It becomes hard and brittle
Skins like >>1075209 are soft and flexible
How do they do it?
>>
>>1076335
Extensive treatment with harsh chemicals
>>
>>1075236
>>1075279
Moose one of them.
>>
>>1076335
First Google result:
http://sciencing.com/soften-stiffened-tanned-hide-8335220.html
Sorry search engines are blocked in your country.
>>
>>1076335
You have to work the hide while tanning it.
Pretty much just rubbing it over a taught rope and handling it a lot while it's drying out.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.