[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ticks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 17

Is the tweezers in a Victorinox Classic adequate for removing ticks, or should I pack something else for this task? I have absolutely no experience.
>>
>>1071066

Burn them off with a stick from the fire.
>>
>>1071066
AFAIK those are not recommended. With those you cannot easily pull the tick out. You probably can manage after some practise but there are better tools.

>living in tick hotzone
>>
>>1071067
>make the tick violently expel all the contents of its stomach back into your blood stream.
>>
>>1071071
>Not wanting to get your blood back
>>
>>1071070
>there are better tools
I see, thanks! What would you recommend?

>>1071073
kek
>>
just use a knife. or two knives
>>
File: tick key.jpg (152KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
tick key.jpg
152KB, 500x374px
So many armchair survivalists... You can usually feel them long before they burrow, just reach down and grab them with your fingers and flick them into the fire. If you somehow manage to actually get bit, use pic related to extract them without damaging them (which tends to cause infection in their host, you).
>>
File: tickcard_tourquise.jpg (28KB, 623x395px) Image search: [Google]
tickcard_tourquise.jpg
28KB, 623x395px
>>1071076
I use a tick card, but also, this:
>>1071091
>>
am i the only one who can pull ticks off with my bare hands? like very easily, i normally dont ever get them on me since i good about long pants +sleves, but off of others, and off of pets, i think ive only used tweezers once in the past few years for tick removal
>>
>>1071101
Hmm... I think I like that better than the key.

>>1071102
Every can, but most of us are smart enough not to risk squeezing them and causing infection.
>>
>>1071091
+1 for the tick key, I've taken countless ticks off the dogs with this
>>
File: 2ec.png (497KB, 600x580px) Image search: [Google]
2ec.png
497KB, 600x580px
>>1071073
funny fuck, my sides went to the moon and I almost spat my rabbit stew.
>>
File: Jinkeys nigga!.jpg (14KB, 342x344px) Image search: [Google]
Jinkeys nigga!.jpg
14KB, 342x344px
>>1071073
>>1071073
>>
>>1071101
>>1071091

These seem pretty nice, thanks guys.
>>
>>1071146
No problem. I'm always happy to help /out/!
>>
get one of the noose style pen ones, works way better
>>
Just burn em off
>>
File: tick remover.jpg (97KB, 1000x1132px) Image search: [Google]
tick remover.jpg
97KB, 1000x1132px
A shaving razor works the best. You don't want to squeeze the tick with tweezers, just shave it off.
>>
>>1071179
Don't. You never want to CUT a tick.
>>
>>1071184
Hi, I'm Anon from the 4chan.org welcome committee! Welcome! That was a troll. Trolls say things that aren't true, in order to get (YOU)s, which are the local currency. Due to trolls' propensity for spending (YOU)'s on tendies instead of reinvesting them into the local community, the 4chan Chamber of commerce recommends not engaging with trolls during your stay.

Thank you and have a great day!
>>
File: tickparrot.jpg (48KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
tickparrot.jpg
48KB, 400x400px
>>1071066

Ticks are real fuckers.
Haemaphysalis longicornis is a carrier of SFTS too.

SFTS is nasty, with fatality rate of 30%.
>>
>>1071066
With sufficient practice they will do. Without, get a tick lasso or (personal preference) tick tweezers.

>>1071102
Done it on occasion, provided that I didn't just cut my fingernails. Works well enough.

>>1071155
Sucks for the really small nymphs.

In the end, having removed over 500 ticks in the last decade, I actually prefer the Victorinox tweezers.
>>
>>1071196
>having removed over 500 ticks in the last decade
Do you lead groups or something?
>>
>>1071066
After years of practice, I mastered the Victorinox technique of removing ticks (shitty pic related, homemade style).
However, I do recommend that you use any dedicated tool. My personnal favorite is http://www.ticktwister.com/ (not this brand but exactly the same) but honestly buy whatever your pharmacist has.

Do not burn them, do not use ether but DO disinfect AFTER.
>>
File: Victorinox.gif (29KB, 794x1123px) Image search: [Google]
Victorinox.gif
29KB, 794x1123px
>>1071203
with pic.
>>
File: Untitled.gif (16KB, 794x1123px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.gif
16KB, 794x1123px
>>1071205
This also works if you're white.
>>
>>1071205
Aren't you supposed to pull up to remove the tick's bite? No XP with Victorinox, maybe it works differently.
>>
>>1071214
Works 99% for me and I've been at 20+ tick a year for the past 15 years.
If you pull up, you'll break the tick, leaving the head which is impossible to get on its own (believe me, I tried).
The movement is more a quarter of a circle up.
The key is to know the axis of the tick, they can rotate a lot around their head but still have a preferred direction. You have to go in that direction.

But again, to make it very clear, the tick twister is way easier to use. In all those years, there is only 1 tick that I couldn't remove with a tick twister (it was extremely small and between the toes of a child).
The only times I use my Victorinox tweezers is when I forget my tick twister.
>>
>>1071091
Something along these lines.

Your number 1 goal is to avoid the little cunts attaching themselves in the first place. Once they're on then you're at risk of contracting lime disease, which will make you extremely sick, and can potentially put you into a coma (I've seen it happen). I don't know if that's how it works everywhere, but it's a definite risk here in the UK.

Regardless of how you remove them, you really need some sort of antiseptic to wipe the area down afterwards.

Ticks are nasty fucking things, man.
>>
Never had one in my life, thank God. I live in Oregon, on the coast. Maybe it's too cold for ticks to thrive here.
>>
>>1071067
Dont do this.
>>
Use a small piece of thread. Tie and overhand knot around the tick and pull. You can do the trick with a slipknot too. Or just a loop.
>>
Get the AG Russell tweezers if you want the best.
>>
File: 8HgRsqW.jpg (250KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
8HgRsqW.jpg
250KB, 900x675px
>>
>>1071091
>>1071101
looks interesting, but I can't imagine how those would work with the really small ones, especially if you catch it before it starts balooning.
There's ticks that are sub 1mm small (though those are also really hard to remove with tweezers).

That said:
I just use my victorinox tweezers, but you have to press them closed really, really hard, or you will just slip off, or rip the tick in half, leaving their head stuck in your tender flesh, now really almost impossible to remove.
>>
>>1071598
>sub 1 mm small
Nymphs.
>>
>>1071066
When I was young kid and got my first tick, whole fucking family panicked, started calling the doctors, police, paratroopers... But it was removed by my grandpa who spend some time in good old comunist army.
He literally took soap and started rubbing around the tick drowning him in soapy water and suds.
Fucker climbed out on its own in 30 seconds, pops said because it was suffocating or something.
I do it same way since then, it always worked.
Btw, I am from eastern eu, so I dont know how well it would work on other ticks around the world.
>>
>>1071603
Probably?
But they still are ticks and bite themselves into you and I wanna get rid of those fuckers.
>>
>>1071608
Supposedly that is exactly what your are NOT supposed to do.
If its suffocating, it'll first "spit" into it's bite before letting go, and that spit is what might carry a disease. The fact that it's hanging on you and sucking your blood is not a problem (apart from the looks, maybe) but what they might give you in return for you blood is. Fucking ungrateful idiots.
>>
>>1071612
Achtually doctors aroumd here say it you extract it by force it can break that tiny shit which gets stuck in your arm and that will be problem.
Never heard anything about ticks squirting something back.
>>
>>1071618
>say it you extract it by force it can break that tiny shit which gets stuck in your arm and that will be problem.
Yeah, that too, because you now have their infected mouth imbedded in your flesh.
You have to grab them as close to your skin as possible, to avoid breaking them in half.
>>
>>1071102
I was thinking the same thing
you're not going to squeeze anything into your body unless they are engorged. If they are engorged, you somehow went days without finding it and you are a retard, but in this case something like
>>1071101
>>1071091
are best.
When just using your fingers, pull straight out, perpendicular to your skin, so the head pulls straight out with minimal risk of breaking off and staying attached.
>>
File: 1489118730082.jpg (51KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1489118730082.jpg
51KB, 500x375px
>>1071115
Git out
>>
Why is /out/ so scared of ticks anyway? I never got this meme. They're not that big of a deal. Kinda gross but whatever.
>>
>>1071813
If left unchecked they'll burrow into your skins and reproduce
>>
>>1071813
Because they carry a fuckton of the most horrible diseases to get in the west. Shit that makes you allergic to everything good in live, like all meat.
>>
File: 3ticks.jpg (185KB, 708x504px) Image search: [Google]
3ticks.jpg
185KB, 708x504px
>>1071603
>>1071610
>>
>>1071102
yeah idk how these babies need tools, even once in 20 il find one attatched maybe? just take the bitch out
>>
>>1071066
>Pull up archive and read tick threads from 2013
>Significantly better and had paragraph long posts about diseases and types of ticks, etc.
>Looking at this fucking thread and not one mention of lyme disease or other complications

Fucking teenagers and idiots who have only found this website in the past year need to get the fuck out or do some research before even contemplating the action of posting. I guarantee that you idiots would get the lyme and would probably improperly deal with the situation if it happened, and now you idiots are stuck with a lifelong disease which will fuck you in the ass if you never make an effort to suppress it.

https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/index.html
https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/diseases/index.html
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017/06/tick-bite-meat-allergy-spreading-spd/
>>
>>1071202
Used to lead camps in an area with quite a few ticks. Probably had a hundred myself as well. Luckily I live in a part of Europe where even Lyme is rare, nobody ever caught anything.
>>
Also, protip, you can actually dig the heads out if the tick snaps in half. A knife with a sharp tip and one minute of careful prying usually does it. Better to remove the whole thing at once obviously.

That said I never saw complications (ie. infections) from a head being stuck. Then again, as I mentioned before, even Lyme is rare here - let alone other diseases - and I don't know how it influences pathogen transfer.
>>
>>1072068
With careful prying with a sharp knife you can even remove inflamed brain tissue so if you leave the whole tick inside no biggie, you can just btfo encephalitis.
>>
>>1071618
>Achtually doctors aroumd here say it you extract it by force it can break that tiny shit which gets stuck in your arm and that will be problem.
Sadly, many medical doctors (especially in the US, where I am located) are woefully uninformed when health intersects with arthropods. With changing climates altering habitat ranges for many disease vectoring arthropods, and increased international travel, you would think there would be a growing demand for such knowledge.

True, having the hypostome break off in your skin can easily lead to infection, but that tends to be an issue if you are not using blunt forceps, or if you use a twisting motion while removing the tick. The idea behind the twisting it that it helps disengage the barbs on the hypostome, but it increases the likelihood of damaging the head or mouthparts.

The issue with the tick being aggitated (burned, suffocated, poisoned, pretty much anything other than being pulled straight off with dull forceps) is that it regurgitates its stomach contents back into you. Most of this is your blood, but if the tick IS harboring pathogenic material, the amount that is being introduced to your bloodstream just skyrocketed, as did your chances of contracting something from it.
>>
>>1072079
>TBE
There is a vaccination for the nasty TBE. Anyone /outing in tick areas should consider it, IMO.

Thank the rabid anti vaxxer crowd for no vaccine against Lyme. At least one is worked upon in Europe but everyone threads with caution, given the last time.

An antibiotic regime after a confirmed tick bite is really the best remedy against Lyme. Especially if you get the ring rash. But even that does not always appear. Blood serum tests won't show a fresh infection until later, older Lyme antibodies may give false positive.

> inb4 no doctor, live in high tick area
> know people with varying forms of borreliosis
> i don't want it
> if you are hearing this, we are the resistance
>>
>>1072082
The thing is the tick has the nasty bacteria in its gut. When it bites you, a kind of pipe is formed between your blood and the ticks gut. The infectious agents travel somewhat slow, the infection is not instantaneous but indeed if you agitate the tick, you speed up the process considerably since the flow will be heavily outward.

Be careful out there.
>>
>>1072085
>An antibiotic regime
I'm going into the mountains for a month. How soon do I need to get to a doctor if I spot a bullseye?
>>
>>1071066
you can use fingers.. you need to know how the helicers of the thick are positioned, and you need to rotate the tihick properly with your fingers, little by little, until you make her unclench from the skin
>>
>>1072094
Around here they say as soon as you can, but the > 5 cm ring takes 1-4 weeks to appear after a bite. Sometimes associated with fever and feeling of being unwell.
>>
>>1072094
Very broadly speaking, a tick usually needs to b embedded for about 1-3 days for decent odds of getting Lyme. So the sooner you spot and remove ticks, the better. If you notice fever, fatigue, or see peculiar discolorations or rashes around a bite area (especially the early-stage symptom of a bullseye rash), you should see a doctor as soon as you can.

Like >>1072100 mentioned, it can possibly take 1-4 weeks for proper symptoms to manifest, and it usually takes that long for things to progress to a point where a lab test can verify the diagnosis.

Your best bet is prevention.
>spray your clothes with 100% DEET
>wear long-sleeves and pants, tuck pant legs into socks
>stay out of dense brush when you can
>check your clothes and body as best you can every day for signs of ticks (these little assholes can hide really well, too. Turn clothes inside-out, and look along the seams, and check both sides of pants pockets on the interior of the pants)

Remove any ticks you find as soon as you can by using dull forceps to gently - but firmly - pull the tick straight out (perpendicular to your skin) as close to the mouthparts as you can manage. Then wash the bite area with soap and water, if able. If at all possible, deposit the tick - once properly removed - into the strongest alcohol you have on hand, and take it to a doctor or extension expert to see if it is a species that is at risk for Lyme transmission, or other diseases.
>>
>>1072102
>DEET
This is harmful for dogs and cats. Permithrin is also dangerous to cats.

I roll with PMD.
>>
Just grab them with your fingers and rip them off in the direction they're facing, then smash them between your fingernails.

Back in high school I worked summers on the county road district, we had a really bad ice storm one winter and the next summer was brush clearing for 3 months. It was a good day if I had less than 4 ticks on me. I'm sure the deet helped, but some of them always get past.

It's honestly a non-event, just pull the little fuckers off and move on.
>>
File: IMG_4110.jpg (13KB, 253x199px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4110.jpg
13KB, 253x199px
Get these. Hook ticks out of my dogs all the time no problems. Good fun torturing the little bastards after too

You gotta make sure you get the head out too.
>>
>>1071813
Friend of mine got Lyme disease. Shit sucks bro.
>>
>>1071066
With those you'll smash the tick and everything goes into your circulation. Use a tool designed for the job.

Don't just pull them off. There are sources that say you should just pull, instead of turning and pulling, but that's no right.

Mors Kochanski has video on this. He may not be an artist, but he is an educated man and knows what he's talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2aIyKjVRi0

You pull gently and when you feel resistance, you turn. That's it. If you turn first and then pull then of course the tick will just break and leave you with the Lyme disease.

>I don't even like this board but I don't think anyone deserves Lyme disease.
>>
>>1073154
You should just pull up. Depending on your tool. Some are designed to be pulled a bit sideways. But generally straight up. At least for the euroticks, no idea of NA tick species.

>inb4 dopey YouTuber docs
>rather believe doctors
>>
>>1073165
>nb4 dopey YouTuber docs
No doc, an engineer here.

The 'teeth' of a tick are curved towards the center. When a tick is twisted, teeth are forced away from the center.

I should have emphasized the amount of twisting, sorry about that. Don't twist too much, otherwise you will just break the tick.

If you don't know understand what you're doing, just pull. Ok?
>>
>>1073178
The CDC and just about everyone in the aracology field disagrees with that advice. IF you are using a tool that specifically was designed with twisting in mind, do it. Otherwise do not twist a tick when using forceps to remove it.
>>
File: 1490024084508.jpg (150KB, 852x1041px) Image search: [Google]
1490024084508.jpg
150KB, 852x1041px
>>1071073
kekd
>>
>>1072100
>>1072102
Thanks for the advice. I don't use DEET, but I've had good luck with dietary allicin.

Looks like the standard treatment is amoxicillin 500 mg orally three times daily for 20 to 30 days. I'll pick some up to add to my med kit (there's no way I'm getting to a doctor 'as soon as possible', there's no roads where I'm going).
>>
>>1072490

I've tried everything & this is the only one that actually worked got the head out, just a slow steady pull & they come right out.
Walmart now has a knock off of this too.
>>
>>1073253
jesus what an abomination
when are we going to create a bio weapon that destroys all mosquitoes and ticks and other bullshit?
i dont care what it does to the ecosystem, i want them gone forever
>>
A few years ago there was a massive outbreak of ticks at my grandparents' house. When I say massive, I mean I literally walked around with duct tape all day grabbing ticks from EVERYWHERE, literally thousands a day, and burning them. Nothing ever came close to that summer.
>>
>>1073561
did you ever find out how that happened?
>>
>>1073563
No idea. We get ticks every summer, but there was like 10000% more ticks that one. I didn't even need to go outside, they were everywhere, in the house, even in the second floor where I slept.
At least I got to burn a lot of ticks, if there's one animal that makes me relish in its agony it's ticks
>>
>>1073474
Do you want invincible superticks? Because that's how you get invincible superticks.
>>
Doctors say you have 24 hours to be susceptible to lymes disease after the tick bites you.
You have 15 minutes for pwossan virus to infect you.

Was nice knowing you anons. Rip me just pulled a tick off my inner thigh
>>
Mandatory viewing on tick removal and mammalian meat allergy:

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/4177191.htm

"It's called mammalian meat allergy, or MMA. Unheard of until a few years ago, it's on the rise up and down the eastern seaboard, with two cases now being diagnosed a week just in this area. But what's more astonishing is what causes it. We've now discovered it's triggered months, even years, earlier by a seemingly unrelated event - a bite from a tick"

"Well, you should go to the chemist and buy a spray containing ether. So something like Wart Off, or Medi Freeze Skin Tag Remover. Place the nozzle conveniently over the tick and spray. Feels cold - freeze the tick, and wait about ten minutes for the tick to die."
>>
>>1073383
You may find yourself feeling worse due to the antibiotics, keep that in mind. As in, probably worse than Lyme, because the initial symptoms may not even show.
>>
File: 1497722603892.png (47KB, 554x400px) Image search: [Google]
1497722603892.png
47KB, 554x400px
>>1071073
>>
>>1071066
Touch the back of them with the ember of a match you just blew out and they'll gtfo.

You can use tweezers but there's a chance the head or mandibles will break off and still be in your skin. Not really a problem if you get em out though.

I've put a knife under their body and then scraped back/pinched their head against it with my thumbnail and gotten em that way before, but that's not a recommended method.

I've heard something about using a drop of soap on them but that guy was European and I don't think he knew what he was talking about.
>>1071608
Just read maybe it's true? I am from north eastern US.

PS picaridin and permethrin are your friends.
>>
>>1071102
I pulled one off the back off my neck the other day and pull them off my dog all the time, personally getting a tool is useless unless you can't get the head with your hands
>>
Does putting DEET and other repellents on clothes instead of skin make them last longer?
I want to try wild camping someday, but I'm paranoid about those little fuckers.

Other question: what may be the reason for larger and larger tick population? Global warming? Lack of decent forest fires? Tick-eating birds being shot into oblivion?
>>
>>1077931
Exposed areas of skin should have the insecticide. Stuff socks in pants, have long pants, avoid long grass and thick vegetation and so on. Get vaccinated against TBE. Carry tools to pluck those out and stay sharp for the ring like rash.

They also say to wear light color clothing so you can easily spot the ticks since they are of a dark color.

Not sure why there are more, warm weather plays a part surely since otherwise they would die out and not spread more north. Me suspects also that they travel in cars and trucks and people's clothes and in animals, and spread this way further. Some biologist here maybe can help?
>>
>>1076279
>I've heard something about using a drop of soap on them but that guy was European and I don't think he knew what he was talking about.
Yeah, no ticks in Europe.
>>
>>1078298
That's a fucking lie. Wish it was true though.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.