[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just moved here yesterday, and want to get back in shape. What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: file.png (197KB, 409x294px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
197KB, 409x294px
Just moved here yesterday, and want to get back in shape.

What are the /out/ things you recommend in Switzerland?

Living in Zug, so Rigi is close.
Will do that one day, but what else?
>>
>>1070667
https://map.geo.admin.ch/?X=221074.34&Y=682485.90&zoom=5&lang=en&topic=ech&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege,ch.bafu.bundesinventare-jagdbanngebiete,ch.bafu.schutzgebiete-schweizerischer_nationalpark,ch.bafu.wrz-wildruhezonen_portal&layers_opacity=1,0.75,0.75,1&catalogNodes=532,653

Swiss topographic maps, highlighted are hiking trails and all areas where you can't camp.
have fun.
>>
>>1070671
God bless you.
I am looking for specific recommendations from experience as well, but I still appreciate this very much
>>
>>1070673
>specific
Then you should get a bit more specific about what you are looking for. Like are you into mountaineering, camping, hut hiking, kayaking? You got gear? Experience?
>>
>>1070677
Good point.
No gear, just moved here, but will get some within the month.
Used to hike a fair bit in Canada, but mostly just day trips.
Longest was 3 nights so not very long.

Will save this thread for later this summer when I have more gear, but I am looking for camping, beginning with shorter lengths (3-5 days).

Also into canoeing or kayaking, so that as well.
>>
>>1070679
Ok, dayhikes and stuff you will find plenty.
Hut touring is fun, you walk from mountain hut to hut, they got bunk beds and serve food or at least drinks. You only need a light sleeping bag for the hut, bad weather gear and some essentials, so you get a real light pack which is nice for the mountains.
Wild camping is legal in Switzerland, but often restricted to areas above tree level.
On hiking trails, yellow marked trails are easy, red is rough and blue trails are experienced alpinists only (rope team or stay away)

http://www.sac-cas.ch/en.html
http://www.sac-cas.ch/nc/umwelt/naturvertraeglicher-bergsport/campieren-biwakieren.html?cid=1094&did=1011757&sechash=04c90579
http://www.hikr.org/region2.html
>>
>>1070683
Awesome.
I can't wait to go to the shop and drop a quarter million francs on some boots now.

Honestly though, merci. Never had hut hiking back home but it sounds really convenient.

A little off topic, but did you do any hunting in CH/Austria area?
Something else I'm looking into for the fall. Looking for big game herbivores (ibex, ram, stag, things like that).

Just on the off chance you've done this.

Cheers either way!
>>
>>1070692
>but did you do any hunting in CH/
I'm from a hunters family. Laws on hunting differ from Canton to Canton, and Zug likely will suck. In general, I don't think you can go hunting in Switzerland until you got at least a C residency permit which will take you at least 4 years.
>>
If you don't mind my asking, what's your story in moving to Switzerland? Like why did you go there? Do you have family there?
>>
>>1070695
>Canadian
>Zug
Commodities trading?
>>
>>1070667
You know what they say? When in Switzerland, do as the Swiss do.
>>
>>1070695
>>1070697
job in fintech plus very few career opportunities in my home territory.

No family in Switzerland; maybe I'll make one.
>>
>>1070692
>I can't wait to go to the shop and drop a quarter million francs on some boots now.
There's alternatives to that, Migros (SportXX) has reasonably priced mid quality gear, outfitters have sales every fall, plus you can just buy your gear in Germoney and pay EU prices.
Also, Swiss army surplus boots are god tier, old Swiss KS-90 are my goto hiking boots.
>>
Buy a bike and ride around, I can easily go from Cham to Zug on bike dedicated trails. There's even a free ("gratis") bike share program at the Cham bahnhof, exit the platform toward the church and take a right, look for the bus and tents. Open Mon-Sat.
>>
File: daytrip.png (3MB, 1679x919px) Image search: [Google]
daytrip.png
3MB, 1679x919px
>>1070671
>>1070673

Theres like the standard hikes in Switzerland, like Brienzer Rothorn or Pilatus or whatever. On sunny weekends you will share the trail with tons of families and elderly people. It is still nice because the views are spectacular. Start of with one of those, gives you a feeling for the terrain and weather.a

If you want something of the beaten path use the map, it lets you plan your own routes. just choose a place in Switzerland that looks interesting and find a secluded place. Theres countless day hikes around. In winter you can do snow shoe walking, stay on the designated routes, avalanches are a bitch

Advanced mode is to get into rock climbing or ski touring or mountaineering, either of these will need training and joining some sort of club as you need partners.

Hunting is highly regulated and a closely guarded privilege of the locals, hard to get in.
Try fishing instead. Fishing in big lakes is free for all, rivers, creeks and small lakes usually need a permit. You can get day or week permits for entire cantons. Hike to secluded alpine lakes, do some fly fishing, camp out, watch the stars.
>>
File: daytrip2.png (2MB, 1677x915px) Image search: [Google]
daytrip2.png
2MB, 1677x915px
>>1070951
>>
>>1070939
Yes, I am definitely planning to get a bike; perhaps in the next week.
I'm actually in Walchwil so I can bike to work some days.

>>1070932
Thank you for these practical tips. My co-workers are /in/ so they don't know any of this stuff.

>>1070951
>>1070952
Really good points. If I stay here for several years I will get into a mountaineering club.
For now hiking and fishing seem like a great start.

Merci for these suggestions.
Did a little googling and can't find an "official" app for these maps. Is "SwitzerlandMobility" a good alternative? Or do you print these off or something?

Usually use a GPS back home, but I want to avoid buying one here... if I can.
>>
>>1070963
Does the mobile version work for you?
https://map.geo.admin.ch/mobile.html?X=247945.32&Y=682944.35&zoom=5&lang=de&topic=ech&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&layers=ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege,ch.bafu.bundesinventare-jagdbanngebiete,ch.bafu.schutzgebiete-schweizerischer_nationalpark,ch.bafu.wrz-wildruhezonen_portal&layers_opacity=1,0.75,0.75,1&mobile=true&catalogNodes=532,653

Sorry, I don't use smart phones, normally I just print out the sheets or sometimes buy the 1:25'000 map sheet.
Also, I found a rip of the swiss topo map some time ago and loaded it to my Garmin. Normally I don't use it, because the maps are faster and lighter.
>>
>>1070969
Yeah, it works was more or less thinking of offline navigation.
But map/compass would also be fine; will just buy a couple maps when I'm ready to do a longer hike.
>>
>>1070972
>Yeah, it works was more or less thinking of offline navigation.
seems they have something like this, but as said, I never used it.
https://shop.swisstopo.admin.ch/en/products/maps/SwissMapMobile_Abo
>>
>>1070975
Will check that out.
As for analog maps, the 1:25000 are only available for very small regions, is this correct? (Walchwil area)
Seems like the best I can get is to buy 1:50000 or to print better resolution maps out manually (not a bad option desu).
>>
>>1070975
>>1070995
Disregard, I was looking at these hiking maps, not the "national maps"

https://shop.swisstopo.admin.ch/en/products/maps/leisure/hike/hiking_maps33
>>
>>1070995
>>1070997
If you buy the app you get all the maps down to 1:5000, same goes for the free online tools, scale as you see fit. 1:25k has most useful details, so thats my go to. 1:50k is still good enough for summer.
For sumer tours I just print out the sheets, or you could walk by phone if you prefer.

I buy 1:25000 maps soley for winter tours, I need the altitude lines for avalance hazards and similar stuff.
>>
>>1071005
Yeah, strongly considering getting the paid app, it looks great.
>>
File: wikipedia-osmand.png (35KB, 360x640px) Image search: [Google]
wikipedia-osmand.png
35KB, 360x640px
check out other maps/ apps too i use viewranger and OsmAnd both can use OpenStreetMaps that are ridiculous good. ( at least from i saw with my use in central europe)

some apps are bit clunky but i use them because you can use them with offline wikipedia and hq offline maps.

here you can at map detail of one of the map options
https://www.openrouteservice.org/directions?n1=47.168769&n2=8.528438&n3=14&a=47.156917,8.537338,null,null&b=0&c=0&k1=en-US&k2=km
>>
>>1071231
Nice try Germanbro, but not much use in Switzerland.
>>
Hi

I use Bergfex, its a good app with a lot of tours and the map is pretty good too.

Vill Spass!
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.