[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good Winter Air Pad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: Backpacking Sleeping Pads.jpg (269KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Backpacking Sleeping Pads.jpg
269KB, 1200x800px
What are some good, recommended (Preferably from people who've actually used them) sleeping pads for winter camping?

Going to be in CO in mid December.
Money isn't that much of an object since I really value getting a good sleep when /out/.
>>
>>1070261
I've been sleeping on the yellow one from your pic every time i'm out under every weather conditions for two years. Light, small, warm and comfortable.
Totally worth its (high) price.
>>
I rate my exped downmat. I have the 5cm lite version, which is R 4.1, I use it in my bridge hammock and does 4 seasons for me. Exped do a lot of varieties also.
>>
>>1070261
NeoAir Xlite is the GOAT. 2017 version is less noisey too.
>>
neo air xtherm is warm warm warm.

also like my zlite sol too if i dont want to spend time inflating anything. Pair them both and you can sleep on dry ice.
>>
Exped down 7. I suggest not getting the ul version, as integrity is comprised
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-10-12-21-20-43.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-10-12-21-20-43.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>1072715
Used it on 20+ nights in two years. Its never lost air on me. Is durable as hell. There's a compression dry sack that. Also doubles as an air press. Two pumps and it's full.

Pricey pad at 150$, but I will buy another if/when this one goes out.

The heat rating is rediculously good on it. Ive used it in 20 degrees ferinheight, using a 0 degree bag like a blanket. In the summer, I use my 40 degree bag as a blanket. I starfish and toss a lot in my sleep, so I need to be able to get out from my sleeping bag.
>>
>>1070261
The yellow one. Add a Z-Lite for extreme cold and security. Its basically R7 then, if its just below freezing just use the yellow one. In the summer just use the ZLite.
>>
>>1072715
My UL is one year old, had approx 25 nights on it so far. Half of those have been in my bridge hammock, the other half on the ground. Id say as long as you're careful where you're putting it you'll get good use out of it.
>>
Klymit just put out a couple new versions of the Static V, and insulated (R 4.4, 15oz) and an a non-insulated (R 1.3, 12oz). I'd probably get one if they made a torso length version of either (until then I'm more than happy with my modded Z-Lite). Price seems good too.
>>
>>1070261
i've got a multimat ice mat 100 XXL that i've used for fifty-something winter camps.

pros: very thick = very comfy. i'm a side sleeper, but i can leave it underinflated and squashy without my hip and shoulder pushing through to the frozen ground. thinner mats i've owned would need to be inflated as tight as a drumskin to remain insulating, which is not comfy at all.
i can roll over in my sleep and still be on it (it totally fills a 2-man tent)
the 'self inflation' actually fills it most of the way.
carry bag is microfibre lined and big enough to be a body pillow.

cons: the packed size is very large. much larger than exped mats with comparable R-values.
squashing and rolling all the air back out to pack up is a ten minute job and can't be done quietly.
the extraordinarily aggressive velcro down one side has yanked loops out of my wool socks and gloves and torn holes in wicking polyester shirts.
>>
Are the exped down mats worth the extra $$$ over the synthetic ones?

Looking for a matress to replace my aging first generation UL thermarest, and I'd love to have some warmer and more comfy for my aging bones.
>>
>>1072787
I used a modded Z-Lite for a section hike of the AT and couldn't help to think that the convenience of a smaller size wasn't worth waking up with a sleeping bag that was wet at the bottom after every night of rain
>>
This site has been pretty on point with alot of my purchases this year. Have a look at the reviews and specs and choose the one that best suits your needs.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/t/sleeping-pads/sleeping-pad

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-camping-mattress
>>
>>1075246
If you're looking for warm and comfy, durable, and light weight, I'd say the exped is definitely worth the extra money.

I have the large version, as I'm 6'3" it works perfectly for me, and I'm a side sleeper. It's insanely warm, but overheating is going to be based off your sleeping bag. I've found my exped is great in all seasons of camping. I just swap out my fart sack for a lighter one in the summer.
>>
http://www.seatosummit.com.au/sleepingmats/series/?series=comfort-plus

The S2S comfort plus insulated is generally regarded as the best overall insulated inflatable sleeping pad.
>>
>>1075251
I use it in combination with some very light el cheapo foam. This is also what I use for the frame in my backpack (Granite Gear Crown 2. Didn't light the stock frame, at all).
I also use a solo sized tyvek groundsheet.
Haven't had any problems with that combination so far. Haven't tried the Z-Lite on it's own though.
>>
>>1075855
Didn't like the stock frame*
Cheapo foam goes inside the backpack, Z-Lite goes on the outside.
>>
File: 1495369124528.png (54KB, 251x257px) Image search: [Google]
1495369124528.png
54KB, 251x257px
>>1075852
>generally regarded

citation needed
>>
>>1075262
Outdoorgearlab is a fantastic resource.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.