[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kayaking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 11

File: 2S3A8664.jpg (644KB, 2500x1667px) Image search: [Google]
2S3A8664.jpg
644KB, 2500x1667px
I have a friend that's into a lot of /out/ activities and I'm starting to fall in love with this shit too. Sadly, we tried kayaking and I was shit at it. I wasn't paddling right or something and anytime I'd try to take over for him I'd almost start to almost go in circles, and get frustrated. It was a 12 miles ride and I would say he did most of the paddling(75-25). Not sure when we'll be doing it again, but I wanted to know if you folks had any advice on how to git gud and not be shit anymore.

>pic unrelated
>>
do it more
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
what that other anon said, just practice. also canoe>kayak
>>
>>1069026
goddammit
>>
File: Wile E.gif (813KB, 500x342px) Image search: [Google]
Wile E.gif
813KB, 500x342px
>>1069026
Let me get good at one before I try the other. I've heard that canoeing is more difficult and more prone to flipping, and I do not know how to swim, so I'd rather not risk drowning just yet.
>was wearing a life vest kayaking
>was scared shitless when we had to go over some sandbars
>mfw sandbar disappears as we are getting closer to shore and have to flail to get to land
This was an exciting experience, but I'd likely be dead if I'd done it solo.
>>
>>1069036
you're pretty bold to get on any kind of boat if you can't swim. but yeah kayaks are a little more forgiving. i just like the utility of canoes
>>
File: Hey O'Connell.jpg (116KB, 400x452px) Image search: [Google]
Hey O'Connell.jpg
116KB, 400x452px
>>1069041
I have a lot of faith in my friend to keep me alive, but he's also known as the person that will try to kill you on every new experience at least once. Did snowshoeing and cross-country skiing with him while we had to basically make our own trail half the time.
I'm either bold or really stupid. When I get really seriously injured I guess I know which exactly kek
>>
File: tempest165.jpg (51KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
tempest165.jpg
51KB, 960x540px
>>1069017
Easier when you're not in a tandem. Get something that has a skeg/rudder or a very defined keel so it tracks well. After that, just focus on technique and keeping your strokes even on both sides.

Technique is a massive part of being an effective paddler- most of the energy used to propel your boat comes from your core and leg muscles.

Pic related, my kayak.
>>
>>1069017
There are a lot of good books and videos that can teach you better stroke technique. Just do some research. It's not an intuitive sport, you have to learn and practice.
>>
BIt of a long shot but since there's already a Vic, Australia thread, does anyone here from Vic kayak? Whats the best places?
>>
>>1069036

Forget all the other shit and learn how to swim first, faggot. It's easy and it'll save your life. It blows my mind that there are adults who have never learned how to swim.
>>
>>1069017
Are you a woman?

If you are it would explain most of your trouble
>>
>>1069036
Learn to swim for fucks sake, you shouldn't go near water that's out of your depth if you can't swim. It's not even difficult, you can learn it in like a day.
>>
>>1070849
>>1072991
I am planning on doing this before the next time we go. Again, my partner is an experienced enough person, and, I wore a life vest, so I wasn't worried about drowning. It was just a bit shocking to suddenly be in deep water. However, I'm not stupid, so it's something I'm working on.
I will say one thing: when I was a kid a douchbag neighbor kid tried to drown me in a public swimming pool and I never really wanted to go back into a pool to learn to swim again. I guess it became a phobia or something. I honestly never had to do anything /out/ related in my life since, so swimming never came up again for me. Will be camping this weekend and am excited about that.
>>1070884
I'm not, so what does that mean for me?
>>
File: the gnar.gif (2MB, 312x175px) Image search: [Google]
the gnar.gif
2MB, 312x175px
>>1069017
L4 Kayaking instructor here.

1)
-We call Tandem kayaks divorce boats. If you really want to progress your skills, paddle your own kayak. Its a lot easier to learn when you dont have someone else whose also learning yelling at you.

-When you do Tandem:
-The person in the back has the most control. They should be focused on correction and turning strokes and the person in front should be focused on paddling forward. The person in the back should always be the one with the most experience/ dominant personality/ weight.
-When I see Tandem kayakers unable to maintain a roughly straight line its usually becuase the person in the back cant anticipate drift. If you see your kayak drifting slightly to the right, throw in a couple extra strokes on the right to get yourself going straight again.

Get your stroke basics down
-When paddling forward make sure your paddle is going in a straight line with all of your blade in the water from your toes to your hips. You dont have to paddle super vertical (as in your paddle shaft is super vertical) unless your trying to paddle somewhere really fast. Save the olympic paddler strokes for when you're racing, otherwise keep your paddleblade low and out to the side. (This will also help water not drip into your boat)
-Separate your strokes. I.e. Forward strokes should be starting at your toes and be going in a straight line\ to your hips with a diagonal paddle shaft. Sweep strokes(Turning strokes) should be starting out your toes but it sweeps out into a big arc and makes you turn. Really focus on the beginning of that stroke where you force the water away from your boat. The more horizontal you keep your paddleshaft ( The more parallel your paddle is to the water) and the bigger of an arc you make, the more you turn. Keep these strokes separate and only use them when needed. (So dont turn by only making a bunch on forward strokes on one side and dont try to go straight by making a bunch of sweeping, arcing strokes)
>>
File: Im a seal.gif (2MB, 256x152px) Image search: [Google]
Im a seal.gif
2MB, 256x152px
>>1069017
>>1073399
More stroke basics:

-For long distances really try to use as much of your body as possible. The easiest way to start is by using shoulder rotation. Twist your upper torso when taking strokes and try to get as much of your energy from your abs and core and try to use your arms as little as possible. Remember that kayaking should be an exercise for your abs, shoulders, and back and not your arms.
-Make sure your paddle is oriented correctly (Scoop side[which usually has the logo on it] facing towards you with the pointy end on top) and make sure your hands are equidistant from each blade. If you have a feathered paddle make sure you use wrist rotation to make sure that every time that paddle blade comes in contact with the water it is as close to perpendicular to the waters surface as possible. You can check to see if your hands are in the right place by holding your paddle horizaontally across the top of your head. When you grab it, your elbows should be at right angles. For more info on this, google The Paddlers Box.

The more you practice, the better you will get. Just try taking a kayak out on your own and see how straight of a line you can paddle it in.

And fuck this guy >>1069026
Kayaks are better then canoes in almost every way. The only thing canoes do better is that they carry more stuff.
>>
>>1069581
Am jelly.

>>1069036
You need to learn how to swim. SERIOUSLY, it's such an easy task for such a large impact on your life.
>>
File: Dane jackson drop..gif (2MB, 400x215px) Image search: [Google]
Dane jackson drop..gif
2MB, 400x215px
>>1069017
>>1073399
>>1073403
More random tips:
-Make sure you are fitted in your boat correctly. You should have 5 secure points of contact with your boat: Feet, Thighs, Hips, Butt, Lower back.
-The 2 ways to check on these is to
1)Sit in the boat, strap in, and rock back and forth. If you and your boat dont move as one/you rock inside the boat as you are moving you need to adjust your outfiiting. And yes, in a sit inside kayak your knees and thighs need to be in the boat, in their braces.
2) Have a friend see if you're sitting equally in the water. If you are too far forward/back in your boat you may need to adjust your seat/footpegs/backband.

-Make sure you have the correct paddle and paddle length.
-The TL:DR version is for whitewater paddling you want shorter paddles( 190cm-210 cm) with short, wide blades. And for dedicated flatwater paddling you want longer blades (230cm+) with long, thin blades. Here are some guides for further reading:
https://www.aquabound.com/kayak-paddle-sizing-guide
http://www.wernerpaddles.com/fit-guide/
https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/kayak-paddle.html

-Learn what J Leaning is. Love the Rock!

-Wear a properly fitted life jacket, always bring a tow rope just in case, and have fun!
>>
File: IMG_0080.jpg (1MB, 3856x2893px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0080.jpg
1MB, 3856x2893px
Kayaking is the shiiiiiiiit.

Keep practicing and maybe look up YouTube video on how to paddle.
>>
>>1073399
Nice dubs first of all.
>>1073403
>>1073409
Second, that's awesome information man. The paddlers box is honestly the best thing I've been learning about. My arms were dead and I hadn't been even paddling for that long that day. I wish I'd known this stuff before hand. I think once I learn how to swim I'll be more comfortable with the idea of being in a solo kayak.
Screenprinted all this info for future use.
>>
File: yak.jpg (11KB, 303x166px) Image search: [Google]
yak.jpg
11KB, 303x166px
Who else /riversurfer/ here?

I've been to these whitewater parks:
Bend, OR
San Marcos, TX
ASCI (In Maryland)
USWC (Charlotte, NC)
Reno, NV

Where should I go next?
>>
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good fishing kayak? I'm planning on using it on small lakes and rivers.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.