[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay sc/outs/, I know we get a lot of knife threads, but they're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: export-5.jpg (827KB, 3235x2886px) Image search: [Google]
export-5.jpg
827KB, 3235x2886px
Okay sc/outs/, I know we get a lot of knife threads, but they're often consumer-orientated gear threads, and sometimes just pure shill threads.

What I'd like to do is for us to use this bread to share and discuss our OWN cutting tools as a system,

For example what you use each tool for, how they compliment each other, your line of thinking when acquiring, that kind of thing. Hopefully it'll generate a bit of discussion based on actual experience.

Mine,

>Khukri
Bought it in Nepal when I was in Kathmandu. It's a big ugly lump of steel. Had to grind a choil into it and soften the heel of the pommel to make it comfortable. Soft steel, sharpens easy but it's a bit annoying constantly having to deal with a flattened edge apex from whacking shit. I like it as a 'big knife' one knife solution but typically now I take a 1/2lb hatchet instead (harder steel, less real estate to keep sharp)

>Mora #1 (e jonnson)
Originally bought as it's a rarer e jonnson and I was curious to see any difference to a regular production Mora. Takes a great edge, love the light weight and barrel handle. Sheath is garbage and I intend to make a saya style wooden sheath for it.

>Bark River Imp
Was a lust buy at the time, but I quite like it. Stout blade on a four finger grip makes for a good carving knife. I like the A2 steel and full convex is nice but fragile on knotty/gnarled wood.

>Farm and Field Sodbuster
O2 tool steel, tight backlock, love the old school feel, very comfortable knife and takes a great edge.

>SAK
Probably my first knife and over 20 years old. My sheeple friendly EDC. Love the saw on it, too.

>Spyderco UKPK ELMAX
Curious to try ELMAX, verdict still out. Great little knife though, I love the lightweight FRN and wire clip on these spydies, just disappears in your pocket.

>Leatherman Juice S2
Pliers are useful okay.
>>
>>1068665

I am in northern forests, and use my knives primarily for wood working and a bit of food prep. I do not hunt.

I usually take either the Mora or BRK as my primary knife, paired with a hatchet and/or saw. If I take the khukri the axe stays at home but I'll take the F&F for small knife tasks.

I think I'd like to try a leuku style knife next, curious to see what a longer blade length (without retarded thick blade stock) and scandi grind together can accomplish .
>>
>>1068665
Hey idiot you need more fucking knives, wtf are you gonna do when they get dull and you dont even have a spare?

Fuck, its like nobody ever plana ahead these days. I bet you're just a casual anyways and never use a blade until it gets dull and you have to throw it out.
>>
>>1068665
Khukri´s are really good at chopping heads off chickens. holding the rabbit by its hind legs until it stops struggling and whacking it with the spine also good.

i really want to get my own khukri, only had the pleasure of using one that one time, tried buying the condor one but it didnt work out due to import.
>>
>>1068682
Been going inna for over a decade, kid.

Share what you use, bring some content to /out/
>>
>>1068746
A whole decade and you only brought enough knives to cut a few logs before they go dull and you have to throw them away?

I wouldnt dare camp with below 12 knives
>>
>>1068751
I said content not reddit tier shit posting
>>
>>1068756
Wow, what a witty response from a worthless casual. Come back when you have 12 knives, kid.

Warning: the way of the knife is not for the feint of heart
>>
>>1068665
From left to right:
>Kershaw Leek blackwash
My EDC. Great EDC profile. Linerlock is weak. Blade steel is decent, especially for a ~$40 folder. Holds an edge well and isn't a royal pain to sharpen. Replaced a half-serrated original Leek that was framelock, which I still have, but needs to be rebuilt (which Kershaw will do for free).
>Benchmade Griptilian 154CM
Bought this to replace a 940 that got stolen from me, ended up hating how fat the grip was. Grip also absolutely destroys your pocket. It's seen little use and sits in my safe.
>Buck Packlite Caper
My most-used knife, it's my /out/-carry blade and I've processed probably thousands of animals with it ranging from bluegill to elk. Despite being 420HC, holds an edge well and is an absolute dream to sharpen. Hollowground blades are excellent for game processing. I'm also amazed at how well that textured coating has held up, this thing's been through the dishwasher a lot. Love the blade shape.
>Westmark hunting knife. Belonged to my grandfather. Opposite side is stamped as having been made in Solingen, Germany. Mystery stainless steel. Haven't used it yet.
>(post-Fiskars-buyout) Gerber field-dressing saw
Fiskars fucking knows saws. Will rip through a deer pelvis in a few seconds and makes making kindling effortless. Second most-used cutting implement. Wish the sheath had a better belt loop though.
>Cold Steel "steel tiger" karambit
Was a birthday present from my teenaged niece. Has only ever been used as a fuckaround knife, but has been used a lot because I like to fuck around. Chinesium unlisted steel. It's pointy at least.
>Scar Blades prototype
They had a booth next to my table at a gun show 2 years ago. I "designed" this blade by sketching it on the back of a Chick Fil A tray paper after a discussion about the "ideal" bushcraft knife. A finished knife showed up in the mail 8 months later, no charge. It's thicker than what I'd specified, it's 3/8, but hey free knife.
>>
File: 20170726_182948.jpg (3MB, 5840x1632px) Image search: [Google]
20170726_182948.jpg
3MB, 5840x1632px
>>1068879
Aaand I go and forget the fucking picture.
>>
>>1068766
>feint
faint
>>
>>1068879
I have that Gerber bone saw.

It works better than I expected it to.

Paid $24 for it and it came in with a Gator clip point folder, and a guthook that uses disposable utility knife blades, and a small obviously Fishkers hatchet and a belt pouch.

Why are knives so fucking expensive now?
>>
>>1068891
>why are knives so fucking expensive now?
They're not?

I mean, you can get a workable knife from Lowe's/Home Depot/Menards for $5. $15 will get you a Ken Onion designed one made from chink AUS-8 from Home Depot. The decent Kershaws start at $25. Fleet Farm, TSC, and Rural King still sell Case carbon-steel knives for under $20. A Buck 110 is like $25. A basic-bitch Mora is $20.

3 hours at a minimum wage job will get you a serviceable knife and a basic sharpening stone.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.