[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Climbing Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 19

File: IMG_0010.jpg (349KB, 1289x763px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0010.jpg
349KB, 1289x763px
Does /out/ climb?

Post cool climbing pictures, videos, favorite spots around your state, etc.

I'm just getting into it myself. My buddy and I went to a little known local spot yesterday, and we're going to Horseshoe Canyon in Arkansas next weekend.
>>
File: matterhorn sm.jpg (259KB, 676x902px) Image search: [Google]
matterhorn sm.jpg
259KB, 676x902px
it looks like i've miraculously managed to squeeze in a climbing trip to the sierra to finally get up this beautiful chunk of rock in a couple weeks.
>>
I'm just getting into climbing - I'm in good shape but I still have shit endurance - not quite sure what level I'm at yet but hopefully it'll get better.

Watched this video yesterday - feels good to know that even world class climbers can struggle a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6O91CijvJ4
>>
It's fun shit and I highly recommend doing it. Just don't let the culture consume you and don't be a gumby. And remember shirts are aid
>>
>>1067274
Whats wrong with climbing culture? What do you mean by shirts are aid (not native eng speaker)
>>
>>1067274
beanies are aid nigga
>>
>>1067284
its a meme. aid is a term used to describe something that makes the climb easier. climbing shirtless is also a bit of a meme
>>
>>1067289
Ah I get it, a buddy of mine is one of the best boulderers in my country and he climbs without shirt often as he sweats less. But usually people just wanna show off.

What about climbing culture tho? Its one of the most welcoming and friendly communities out there
>>
Not my video, but same route I went for my first multi-pitch. Climbing in Squamish was a real treat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqh0PrBJwqw
>>
>>1067293
>What about climbing culture tho?
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JPpM1nFLAE
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpZIT_I2_Oo
>>
>>1067361
>Is it winter yet?
lol
>>
>>1067287
Solutions and prana beanie erry day brah
>>
>>1067172
I've done climbing and rappelling at Red River Gorge. Frog's Knob is a very easy access and fun rappel point.
>>
>>1067274
>>1067284
Everyone I've encountered was super friendly, helpful, and nice!
>>
>>1067284
It's just a touch obnoxious but a lot of the people you meet are decent folk
>>
>>1067308
I'm jealous! I've been wanting to go to Squamish but I'm on the other side of the states and haven't found the exact window to dedicate a full trip to it. How was the multi pitch? What'd you think of it?
>>
>>1067361
I'm totally guilty of the "alpine start" bit. I used to spray hard when I first started but now I people figure it out their own way. I don't give specific pointers but only encouraging cheers.

I'm itching to get on some rock!
>>
>>1067172
I love climbing anywhere in New Mexico. So many different kinds of styles, different types of rocks, and all astoundingly beautiful!

My favorites (in no particular order):
>Diablo canyon
>box canyon
>Peña Blanca
>enchanted tower
>city of rocks
>las conchas
>el rito
>the tunnel
>last chance canyon

If you haven't already, get Mountain Project for your phone!!

I'm currently training to climb the diamond on longs peak in coloRADo at the end of August. The route we are planning is called "the casual route" which is relatively 'easy' at 5.10. What I'm training for specifically is the strenuous hiking involved and improving my overall aerobic conditioning and endurance so I'm not dead by the time we get to the wall which is at altitude. Current stoke level is high!
>>
>>1067642
>I'm totally guilty of the "alpine start" bit
How can you be guilty of anything? That's what it's called.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_XV8HG_lC8
>>
>>1067807
did you watch the video?
>>
How do I into climbing?
>>
>>1067172
I live in Arkansas, though I'm just a tree climber.

I dated a girl that did bouldering on college. She would typically only do that during the colder months. She told me the rock was better during the cold? I wouldn't mind knowing some cool places to repel around here. Don't really care about climbing.
>>
>>1067893
keep going up, don't let go

>>1067899
less sweat in the cold
>>
>>1067899
You can repel anywhere. Just be yourself.
>>
File: S4300290.jpg (375KB, 1024x768px)
S4300290.jpg
375KB, 1024x768px
>>1067172
My first climb training, that wall was super easy
>>
File: S4300292.jpg (381KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
S4300292.jpg
381KB, 1024x768px
>>1068083
Then got drunk with climbing instructor
>>
>>1067172
Done a bit of indoor and bouldering, need to get belay certified. Anyone here do outdoor climbing in maryland/Virginia? I'd love to start. I also am getting into caving a bit, exploring underground is awesome
>>
File: DSC06562.jpg (5MB, 4912x3264px) Image search: [Google]
DSC06562.jpg
5MB, 4912x3264px
>>1067172
Been climbing 5 years. I live in a van with my wife who also climbs. Wife in photo sending in joes valley.
>>
>>1068084
>>1068083

in part of eastern Europe is this?
>>
File: 1431232417194.gif (897KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1431232417194.gif
897KB, 500x281px
>>1069362
she looks fit af.
>>
>>1069362
<tattoos and dreds
quantum trash
>>
File: look close.jpg (145KB, 455x607px) Image search: [Google]
look close.jpg
145KB, 455x607px
I got started maybe 10 years ago, maybe 35, learning from a bunch of guys older & way more experienced. Gym to start, then outdoor top-roping, sport, trad, and now backcountry multi-pitches. Too many amazing places to name them all. Gunks, Red River Gorge, Seneca, Elephant's Perch, J-tree, Red Rock, Lion's Head...
>>
>>1069362
Looks like antifa scum
>>
>>1069387
>implying you wouldn't hate fuck her
your queerness is showing
>>
Just learned a few months ago, like april. Have gone climbing exactly once since and did two routes. Pretty disappointed honestly

The club I took my class with does open climbs twice a week but I haven't made any of them

>longish drive
>social anxiety

Makes it kinda hard. I'm pretty introverted. My work schedule also kinda fucks with my ability to make those. I could buy my own rope and invite workmates to go but I'd like to have a better grasp of what I'm doing first.

Anyway, this is me on a wall. I think I was 60ish feet up. I built the anchor which was pretty confidence building to climb on it.

>>1067893
Look for a 'mountaineering club' near you, or find a high end outdoors store and ask there of there's classes or climbing groups. If you have REI where you live, I think they do classes.
>>
File: p6 belay.jpg (2MB, 2304x1728px)
p6 belay.jpg
2MB, 2304x1728px
>>1069427
>I'm pretty introverted
then you found the perfect activity. 10 feet off the deck and it's no one but you and the rock.
>>
Started climbing regularly at my uni's gym early this year, hoping to get learned up on leading soon and join in on a trip to the RRG in the fall.
Currently in the toprope gym I'm climbing 5.11's but I know that likely won't carry over to lead and outdoor climbs. About how much reduction in grade might be typical to start?
>>
File: tenaya.jpg (302KB, 692x922px) Image search: [Google]
tenaya.jpg
302KB, 692x922px
>>1069463
at my strongest (before a nonclimbing shoulder injury) i was able to redpoint .12d on toprope at my gym, which grades notoriously hard in my area. outside on lead i was able to redpoint .11a in a soft sport area. ymmv.

now, between a permanently fucked up shoulder and rarely being able to climb i'm excited to onsight 5.7 trad. fortunately idgaf about grade chasing, and i'm perfectly happy spending all day rambling up 5.easy. :)
>>
>>1069452
Yeah, I'm finding that out. There's still a social element though not present in backpacking, MTB etc. when you're on the ground. Plus the feeling of being watched. But really I just need to bite the bullet and go down there for a session, once I get to know people some I do fine.
>>
File: vb1138.jpg (489KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
vb1138.jpg
489KB, 1152x864px
>>1069477
find one person with the knowledge and gear who you get along with and get them to start taking you on multipitch routes. less of a circus.
>>
What beanie will get the best protection for a fall?
>>
>>1069362
No offense but I have a feeling her hair absolutely reeks of mold and oils and shit
>>
>>1069465
>idgaf about grade chasing
>whole post revolves around grades

You know how I know you're full of bs?
>>
>>1069503
Hey man I specifically asked about grades, go easy.

>>1069465
Thanks
>>
>>1069503
they're valuable as a point of reference, but the fact that i responded when i barely broke into .11s should indicate that as a goal they're not that important to me.

>>1069521
you're welcome. outside climbs have a whole host of different challenges than inside that make them more difficult, but also more interesting, imo. not the least of which are the psychological challenge of exposure and the mental challenge of route finding (no colored tape to follow on real rock!). but it's nice to not have to worry about whether or not a hold is on. :)
>>
Can one of you guys recommend me a canvas board/hangboard routine?

I've hit a wall with my climbing and want to improve.

Also tips on keeping my fingers strong while traveling for long periods of time will also be appreciated
>>
>>1069465
Aint nothing wrong with that, so long as you're having fun!
>>
>>1067221
that's a gorgeous peak
>>
File: i-9GgZ877-L.jpg (101KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
i-9GgZ877-L.jpg
101KB, 800x451px
Towers count?
>250 watts FM radio behind this antenna
>>
>>1067274
shirtless hunky men crawling over each other to see who can hold onto some shitty crimper is gay

casually climbing, being a bit modest while dressed is not though
>>
File: IMG_2251.jpg (2MB, 2730x4096px)
IMG_2251.jpg
2MB, 2730x4096px
Hey guys
>>
>>1069498
No it doesn't. Dreadheads use special shampoos that take out all the oil.
>>
>>1069369
K

>>1069387
?
>>
>>1069368
She's really strong. We both work out and climb a ton.
>>
>>1069671
Squeeze tennis balls
>>
>>1069477
Listen to this guy >>1069480

I started climbing because I had a friend who was experienced and I just started going climbing with him a lot. He showed me the ropes.
>>
>>1069861
you need to post more ass photos to be quite honest with you senpai baka
>>
>>1069749
Why would you wear those sunglasses? Don't you have to constantly readjust them? Don't they fall relatively easily?
>>
>>1069938
Honestly not really, they fit pretty snug. I took a couple jolting falls and they stayed on
>>
>>1069749
hey nigger
>>
Anyone watching the psicocomp live stream?

>Alex and kyra bracket was intense!
>yfw neither of them will ever cuddle with you
>why live
>>
>>1070195
Sup fag
>>
File: checked.jpg (122KB, 750x1024px) Image search: [Google]
checked.jpg
122KB, 750x1024px
I'm interested in starting to mountain climb. I do rope rescue for work, and while I'm not sure how much of that carries over to climbing (aside from basic stuff like belay and anchors), I have grown to really like hanging on a rope at heights.
I live at the Ohio-Michigan border, flat and swampy and miles away from any elevation. Any idea where I could get started or what organizations I should contact? Does the Appalachian range have much to offer, or should I take a trip to the rockies?
>>
>>1070387
Look up local climbing gyms in your area. That's an easy first step.
>>
>>1067172
>>>1070387
>Look up local climbing gyms in your area. That's an easy first step.
>>
>>1070387
Big 3 Appalachian spots are probably New River Gorge, WV; Red River Gorge, KY, and the Shawangunks in NY.
>>
>>1070387
i do some pretty basic rope rescue stuff with my fd, and in my experience not a lot besides being able to tie a figure 8, use a carabiner, and very fundamental anchor building carries over. not that that should stop you; climbing can be as easy or difficult as you choose to make it, and getting started is super straight forward. the biggest hurdle is the initial expense as you develop each new skill (personal gear for tring, rope+draws for sport, pro for trad, god help your bank account if you get into aid) but the nice thing is once you drop a few hundred bucks you're good for a few years.

re: getting started, find a frind who wants to climb and join a gym together to get your fundamentals down, and they'll sometimes organize outdoor trips, check mountain project for any crags near you, and their forums act as a message board for people looking for partners.
>>
what do climbing shoes smell like?
>>
>>1069364
Nah, it's in Washington, District of Columbia.
>>
>>1073028
depends on what the shoes are made of
>leather
not good, but not terrible.
>synthetic
death
>>
>>1070584
>>1071416
>>1073008
Thanks for the responses. I'll check out climbing gyms. Seems kinda lame but at least it's something to hold me over.
The Appalachian spots look interesting- I know people from my company who do Bridge Day at the New River Gorge.
Still, not too elevated. My dream is to climb the Alps someday. Get somewhere really high up, with snow and harsh winds and thin air.
>>
>>1067172
Found myself on a vertical cliff face without any gear, hanging on by fingertips about 30 feet from the closest ledge underneath me and ten from the closest above me. Froze with panic and inched my way up to the closer ledge. Never climbing again.
>>
Recently become obsessed with bouldering since abouty January. I started indoors but have done a fair bit outside over four trips (even got to font around easter, my god what a place).

Really want to get into sport and then maybe trad now thast I can actually climb some decent low routes. Rope climbing would open up so much more for me (britbong here, much more lead than bouldering outdoors) What's the best way to start without having this mythical 'experienced climber' friend everyone seems to talk about? I think there's a few courses at my local gym but what's the minimum knowledge I'd need to take my bouldering mates out for a few roped climbs? Is it best to start with toprope to learn the basics then move to lead specific techniques? Any good books/online resources?

There seems to be so much to it and I'd want to be 100% confident before I climb anything serious.

Also, what's a rough price for a decent quality set of gear to begin with?
>>
File: Tollhouse.jpg (305KB, 730x548px) Image search: [Google]
Tollhouse.jpg
305KB, 730x548px
>>1073612
>What's the best way to start without having this mythical 'experienced climber' friend everyone seems to talk about?
you answered your own question-take some classes. have someone there to help you understand how it works initially, then consider supplementing with books, youtube, etc.
>what's the minimum knowledge I'd need to take my bouldering mates out for a few roped climbs?
how to set a safe, equalized top rope anchor, whether off bolts or bomb-proof natural features (trees, rocks). google "sliding x" for the easiest 2 point anchor set up.
>what's a rough price for a decent quality set of gear to begin with?
a couple hundred bucks for personal gear (harness, shoes, chalkbag, atc+locker, helmet), another couple hundred for rope+anchor set up (slings, biners, maybe some cordalette).
>>
>>1073142
Good luck dude. Pursuing the alps is a very tangible goal
>>
just started, but as i'm a bit old and not too fit, is going to be hard. anyway i go to the sierra as much as i can and i'm slowly improving. happy that i've found a nice group of people.
>>
>>1073746
I like the sliding x but I still prefer a quad anchor with some 7mm cord. You can set it up at home even. It just feels more secure than a sliding x.
>>
so I somehow ended with the task of finding non shit brands for climbing gear from the US because a relative is going there and want to buy them since its cheaper than in my third world shithole
any to recommend?
>>
Fuuuck shiiiit I got carpal tunnel in my left hand. I can climb a little bit but any small hold like a pinch or crimp is painful, so I'm not pushing it.
Any advice? I sleep with a brace on. What about KT tape, does that actually do anything? I'm skeptical.
>>
>>1078394
I had a similar issue last summer. You can definitely push too hard in climbing and easily injure yourself. Your tendons need time to heal and time to grow in strength. Tendon strength comes slowly, it's not like muscular strength.

Keep climbing if you want, just try to avoid those tiny crimps and listen to your body. It's super easy to overdo it.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.