[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

First time hiker

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12

File: 15454544243.jpg (48KB, 538x511px) Image search: [Google]
15454544243.jpg
48KB, 538x511px
Just did my first ever hike after being a city slicker for years.

Hiked 17 kilometers through forest, fields, sat by a lake and ate some lunch. It was amazing. Saw some amazing birds and huge dragon flies.

Thanks /out/ for inspiring me. I didn't know what I was missing out on!
>>
Nature walk faggot go climb a mountain with at least 20% Bush whack
>>
glad 4chan helped u somehow
>>
>>1065819
Fuck this guy, all /out/ is good /out/. Glad you had fun OP
>>
>>1065819
Fuggoff, at least anon is getting some fresh air.
>>1065774
Grats, opie. I really mean it. I do, however, have a question: why did you feel the need to make a whole new thread for your walk innawoods? I sincerely hope you have some OC for us at least, and not just the one post. Remember, when you make a new thread an old one dies.

To everyone else who opens this thread: first successful /out/ing stories thread?
>>
>>1065774
great for you, lad. Glad you had a good, jolly ol day. Keep it going. ;DD

>>1065819
As for you my faggot friendo, kindly go eat a bag full of dicks.
>>
>>1065774
That's awesome. I go on some day hikes every once in a while but I would like to do as>>1065819 says. The equipment for backpacking seems kind of pricey. And although I really want to camp out in a secluded area that isn't some site with bathrooms, showers and cars driving up to it, I'm not sure it would be allowed here in California. Also since I would be going alone I don't want to end up an I Shouldn't Be Alive reject since I don't know what I'm doing
>>
>>1065833

It was pretty cool. I saw runestones and some bronze age grave mounds. I've always liked history and it was pretty neat to be able to to learn about history and be outside instead of just reading books or watching documentaries.

There wasn't too many people on the trail but most people I came across gave me a smile and a hello, which was really nice.

It was also a lot of fun working my route out on a map and then just heading off on this mini eight hour adventure. I should have done it years ago.

But yes, sorry, maybe I could have made this a first /out/ story thread.
>>
>>1065774
Glad you are starting in small steps rather than the usual asking how to set-up a homestead in Alaska as their first outing. Please keep it up.
>>
>>1065774
Nicely done anon. Keep chasing adventure and remember to explore other outdoor activities too, like climbing or kayaking.

My first/out/ was around 14 years old. We lived in a small foothill community and I started going on walks down our road which ended as a fire access road. I would then go sit on the mountainside and watch the sun come up, and eventually I made this a full day walk around the canyon and in to town. It was a real adventure.

After that I didn't do a lot for a while, went 100% vidya. But I got in to mountain biking which got me back outside.

Here's a recent pic from yesterday in the Selkirks
>>
>>1065843
>backpacking seems kind of pricey
It doesn't have to be. Most of us start out thinking that we have to buy all sorts of expensive gear, but by the time we get good, we're down to a few select items we either made ourselves or improvised.

You can get by with a $7 CCF pad, $5 fleece blanket (twin) and a bivvy made from (free) Tyvek and some duct tape as your bedroll. An old eye-dropper filled with unscented bleach will sterilize several tens of gallons of water (use soda bottles for storing water, rice, fuel). And while knowing how to use ferrocerium or steel is great knowledge to have, most of us carry BICs because reliability. Dollar store tin cups and aluminium beer bottles work great as small cook pots. And if that's all you're carrying, you don't even need a fancy backpack for pockets and support straps, because at that weight, you're already ultralight and it'll fit in a satchel or school bag. You could get everything you need for around $20 to do a week-long trip and be fine.
>>
>>1065843
>>1066185

Yea, one stop at walmart and youre probably all set.

Just get a 10 dollar sawyer filter. I cannot stress how great these are.
>>
>>1066185
Not him, but I have a question:
Is there open alternative to tents and bivvies? I'm sort of afraid of sleeping in such enclosed space, because I would have hard time running away if shit goes down.
>>
>>1065774
OP, did you take any pictures?
>>
File: 143435475654.jpg (4MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
143435475654.jpg
4MB, 4128x2322px
>>1066375

I took a couple, happy to post them. I was walking along a maintained trail for the most part. Hopefully I can work my way up to getting to more remote places like others here. Gotta start somewhere though.

First pic is of a runestone along the trail.
>>
File: 1065434343.jpg (4MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
1065434343.jpg
4MB, 4128x2322px
It may look like a pile of rocks but it is apparently the site of a prehistoric grave. There were quite a few throughout the forest.
>>
File: 105635343.jpg (4MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
105635343.jpg
4MB, 4128x2322px
Some farm scenery
>>
File: 174545343.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
174545343.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
Last photo. I was just using my phone but it died so didn't get many photos.
But hopefully others who browse here but dont get out enough can know that their first /out/ adventure doesn't have to be a huge thing but just a pleasant day walk in some nice countryside.
>>
>>1066332
get a tarp then, learn how to set it up and you're good
>>
>>1066185
I agree with anon up until he starts listing his gear.

Tyvek makes a passable tarp or groundsheet but NOT a bivvy as it is 100% not breathable.

Purifying water by boiling + simple filtration (a tightly weaved bandana) is far superior than bleaching your water, no awful taste either.

I wouldn't bother with a fleece blanket unless you're in a warm climate, but you can pick up a surplus arctic bag (here anyway) for 30-40£ that'll do you to -20C .

CCF pad is god tier I still take 1/2 a CCF pad in addition to my fancy exped downmat.

Agree on the firesteel, bic or matches is were it's at

Agree on the cook kit, aluminum mess kit is brilliant

As for stoves, easiest is to make a penny stove yourself (alcohol stove), methylated spirits is super cheap to run it on with added bonus of never having to hike with half empty gas cannisters.

Knives, well mora is god tier, don't listen to the fags who like overbuilt sharpened crowbars

I reckon I could get someone /out/ and reasonably comfortable for under £100.
>>
>>1065774
Good work anon. Dragonflies are friends.
>>
>>1066332
>alternative to tents and bivvies?
In the winter, I use a cocoon hammock to keep myself off the ground, and not use a tarp unless it's raining. It feels very open, even with a bugnet. It won't be cheap though; with the hammock, a dedicated sleeping bag (they get sewn together), and straps, you're looking at anywhere from $100 to $500 just on the sleep system, depending on your climate.

A home-made bivvy wouldn't cover your head though, so it's still pretty open. The plans I would use would be for SOL's Escape mini; basically just two sheets of tyvek tape-sealed around the sides and bottom, leaving a top flap to fold down when not raining.
>>
>>1065774
First hikes ever which I remember were with parents to pick blueberries from a forest. Another at a swamp to pick up rubus chamaemorus. These things I did a lot with parents and grandparents. I was pretty small, like 4-6 years old so the distances were like max 5-8 km of my own walking, extended by parents carrying me.
>>
>>1066544
just buy a hammock with bug net and use your sleeping bag in it dummy
>>
>>1066481
Tyvek may not be as breathable as goretex, but it is still breathable and is in fact used in several commercially-developed bivvys. SOL's escape line uses Tyvek 14-S. I've personally used this everywhere from the deserts of southern California to the snow peaks of northern Washington (with a liner of course) and never experienced perspiration buildup.

Boiling is a superior method, but on long hikes you may need to drink as much as 1.5 gallons per day. If you have a 16oz cook pot, that means you'd have to stop and boil water 12 times every day. That's a lot of fuel weight, especially in areas like cities and roadsides where you can't have a fire to save on alcohol costs.

Otherwise, you're right. Moras are far better than dollar store knives and a sleeping bag is better than a blanket but without knowing Anon's budget, I wouldn't have recommended it simply because if he had the money for the upgrade, he'd probably get it anyway.

>>1066556
You mean a sleeping bag and an underquilt or a sleeping bag and an uncomfortable as fuck pad. No thanks. My cocoon is by far my most comfortable sleep system that I have.
>>
>>1066558
I mean just getting the fucking hammock and puttin your sleeping bag in it instead of expending 200 billion dollars. This was an improvement for me that used to sleep on a 1,50x1,50 m wool blanket on a hammock freezing my back.
>>
>>1066387
Where in Sweden is this anon?
The rune-stone seems vaguely familiar. Västmanland?
>>
>>1066564
I don't think is Västmanland, I live there but I might have missed some rune-stones.
>>
>>1066563
>200 billion dollars
Where are you getting that figure? I just bought a $30 sleeping bag and a $20 hammock from WM and deseamed and sewed the footbox and hood into the hammock material so that the sleeping bag was on the outside and didn't compress.
>>
that's nice but did you experience any elevation loss or gain? If you aren't going up or down all the time you aren't hiking
>>
>>1066564
>>1066568

It's in Norra Järvafältet, to the north of Stockholm.
>>
>>1066185
>>1066295
>>1066481
Thanks guys. Ill start collecting equipment.
would you guys recommend going off trail hiking like this guys says>>1065819 ? I want to be able to find some solitude but also not sure how damaging it is. Also don't think it is allowed here in california
>>
>>1066572

Most of the walk itself was pretty level but I went off the main track at some points to look at stuff I thought was cool, like the foundations of some old forts, which took me up some steep places without paths.
I always thought "hiking" was fairly synonymous with vigorous walking, typically in the countryside, regardless of elevation.
>>
>>1066544
Ok I accept your knowledge on the tyvek. Definitely wouldn't be my choice.

For hypothetical water use, if op is in an arid location, which he isn't judging from pics, it'd be worth investing in a 30$ or so in a filter, like a sawyer mini.

A bug bivvy would also be a good shout depending on location. I only tarp camp in the winter after waking up with slugs on my face. Not pleasant but i imagine the same with something poisonous would be much worse
>>
>>1066605
I'd recommend finding an area of 'wilderness', ie national park or whatever, that has marked trails and obvious landmarks (lakes, mountains),.get a compass and a map of the area - basic navigation isn't hard and you don't have to stray far from the path to pitch up.

Start in the summer time. Always tell someone where you're going and when you'll be back.

You won't die unless you're a moron, but be sensible.
>>
>>1066605
Anywhere that NF or BLM you can pretty much do whatever you want within reason (no cutting down trees or hunting without a license of course, use a firepit if possible, make sure the fire's cold before moving on, basic shit) NF land will have a 14 or 16 day limit per 5 miles of road, so as long as you move camp every couple weeks, you'll be fine; not sure about BLM limits.

Your big thing will just be to make sure you stay near water and carry a couple days' (~4000 cal) worth of food at all times (once you start to break into that, it's time to turn around and go home). The best way to do this and not get lost is to follow a stream uphill to get out and back downhill to get home. This typically means you'll always have water (and maybe fish) and the downhill hike will be easier.

>>1066622
>Definitely wouldn't be my choice.
It's not the best thing out there, and if you can afford better, get better. But it does work and it's a great starting point when you're trying to get started on a budget.
>it'd be worth investing in a 30$ or so in a filter
Again, I'm not arguing with you; I carry a Sawyer mini in a gravity system, myself. But that was $20 for the filter, $15 for the dirty bag. A dropper and bleach would be $2 at the dollar store even if he didn't already have them. And the US puts bleach in our tap water already, so it's really no different than what we're already drinking at home.

>>1066622
>waking up with ... something poisonous would [suck]
Yeah, no doubt. I've done this for years with an open bivvy in areas where I've seen rattlers, scorpions, tics and various different spiders. So far the only bad experience I've had has been with mosquitoes. I'm willing to keep taking that risk to save myself the weight and effort of actually setting something up, but it's a personal choice we each make. I do still think that for starting on a budget, Anon should try the (pretty much) free tyvek bivvy before throwing down on an expensive framed one though.
>>
>>1066572
Wot? Elevation up or down does not mean anything really, except the terrain has more uphill and downhill.
>>
File: cheekyshrek.jpg (5KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
cheekyshrek.jpg
5KB, 225x225px
>>1065774
better /out/ than /in/ i always say
>>
>>1066575
Cool anon. The trail system which goes north-northwest from Järvafältet seems pretty nice, for example the ones going all the way towards Steninge and to Sigtuna (and further).

Haven't been at Norra Järvafältet but might sometime since it is quite close. I like to do dayhike loopy trails for family reasons.

Tip: try the trails at a different season. As an example: at spring the trails at Bruksleden have snow, it is cold and narrow meltwater streams are flowing down and thin easy to break ice is over water holes and depressions everywhere, during the summer it is much different, the whole forest breathes water vapor and smells awesome and the ground is very dry and tons of pine needles on the trail, birds are singing, cool wind blows and the Sun is stinging hot, etc. A different experience.

Also: Lantmäteriet has a map service to print your own maps for free.
>>
>>1066707

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to trying trails in different seasons

Taking a look at Lantmäteriet now. Great advice.

For my next trip I'm thinking about doing a day hike on one section of Sörmlandsleden or Roslagsleden. But I've heard mosquito swarms can be a real problem in the middle of summer so I may hold off on these until later.
>>
>>1066645
>nf
>blm

hes in sweden you poor reading comprehension ameriturd
>>
>>1066790
>poor reading comprehension
Oh, my bad. I didn't realize there was a California in Sweden.
>>
>>1066803
Fool.
>>
File: Sweden.png (103KB, 250x544px) Image search: [Google]
Sweden.png
103KB, 250x544px
>>1066835
>>
>>1066722
You can get a mosquito hat from the outdoor shops if you think they will bother you too much. Try Biltema (40 SEK) if on a tight budget. Generally around Mälaren or the ocean ticks are more of an issue IMO.
>>
>>1065826
not glamping and rvs they're shit and can fuck off
>>
File: camping.jpg (204KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
camping.jpg
204KB, 500x375px
>>1065819
>not dragging your nuts across 10 miles of hard scramble with a fully loaded Flextrek Whipsnake
>>
File: tents.jpg (100KB, 650x569px) Image search: [Google]
tents.jpg
100KB, 650x569px
>>1067007
>boo hoo i don't like technology
>even tents are for faggots

amirite?
>>
>>1066996
Yep which is why a bug bivvy is a better shout than a tyvek bivvy if push comes to shove and a choice has to be made.

Mosquitos up your way are fierce in the summer, and I'm guessing you get no-see-ums, too
>>
>>1066846
is hiking in sweden a problem now that there are mosques everywhere?
>>
>>1067127

In the summer it is an issue but luckily the mosqueitos don't bite during Ramadan.
>>
>>1067131
I am glad you can still laugh anon.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170724-084743.png (106KB, 1200x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170724-084743.png
106KB, 1200x1920px
>>1066803

I was checking to see if there was a Sweden in California and this happened
>>
>>1066790
>>1066803
>>1066835
>>1066846

heartiest kek at our fat american brother. so cute he thinks that US names aren't just recycled old-world names.
>>
>>1067185
And a hearty kek right back. I 'shopped that, dumbass.

How does it feel, being outsmarted by an American?
>>
File: 1500919528480.jpg (35KB, 229x343px) Image search: [Google]
1500919528480.jpg
35KB, 229x343px
>>1067286

Well played anon. I laughed.
>>
>>1067185
Just in case someone wants to be stupid, California is a spanish name from a Spanish novel.
>>
>>1067323
I do. Spanish name for what? Also, what novel?

You really weren't all that helpful.
>>
>>1065866
Don't worry about it man, it's good you got outside and did something cool and interesting. /out/ is happy for you and always appreciates threads with good photos. Wish I could visit Scandinavia and check out the areas you've hiked, especially since most countries in the region have freedom to roam.
>>
>>1066605
No, bushwhacking sucks, it's something you only do if completely unavoidable
>>
>>1067035
nah I like technology and tents, I just hate the mindset of "bringing the indoors outdoors" it doesn't make sense to me

guessing you're a glamper or RVer - which is it?
>>
>>1067286
kek, played.
>>
>>1066682
ey fiona
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.