[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/out/ water thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

File: 15994168283_f5491589ef_b.jpg (88KB, 1024x701px) Image search: [Google]
15994168283_f5491589ef_b.jpg
88KB, 1024x701px
How do I ensure I get safe water /out/? Do I just boil water? Can I drink water straight from the river/lake? I used to just boil but now decided to ask for /out/ wisdom.
>>
File: charcoal filter.jpg (17KB, 272x351px) Image search: [Google]
charcoal filter.jpg
17KB, 272x351px
>>1065535
Boil to kill bacteria and viruses, filter to remove harmful substances such as heavy metals and other toxins.

Activated carbon is one of the best filter mediums.
>>
>>1065536
>mediums
I believe you mean "media" lol
>>
>>1065536
What about iodine?
>>
And what about UV? Some people claim you can kill off bacteria just by exposing the water to sunlight. I don't mind protozoa or worms, I just don't want to catch hepatitis or something serious.
>>
>>1065556
Yes I do, thank you anon.

>>1065565
I wouldn't unless it's literally your only option.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-35-iodine.aspx?activeingredientid=35
>Iodine can cause significant side effects in some people. Common side effects include nausea and stomach pain, runny nose, headache, metallic taste, and diarrhea.
>In sensitive people, iodine can cause side effects including swelling of the lips and face (angioedema), severe bleeding and bruising, fever, joint pain, lymph node enlargement, allergic reactions including hives, and death.
>>
>>1065588
UV can kill bacteria and viruses but you're ignoring harmful toxins.

Boil and filter, neither are difficult and the resources to do both are most likely readily available anywhere you /out/ unless you're innaboat or innadesert
>>
>>1065592
I'm fine with exposure to toxins. Boiling doesn't remove them anyway, at least heavy metals and such, right? Filtering, yeah I guess.
>>
>>1065536
How do you filter boiled water with activated carbon?
>>
>>1065891
How is that not obvious?
>>
>>1065897
I might have guessed I'd have to pour water on a carbon bed and collect the filtered water dripping out. Still, devil's being in the details I'm sure there are some parameters that must be wisely chosen. Like the thickness of the carbon layer, or the throughput of the system. I mean, filtering is probably not instantaneous.
>>
>>1065535
Slightly off topic but,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tc-FhFP-rwg
>>
>go /out/
>carry 3L of water
>hot as 3 fucks
>no water left
>day hike who needs to bring your sawyer amrite #yolo
>end up drinking from 3 different streams
I mean I was 70% sure that water was clean due to location, but I have to admite that I was kinda worried that I would end with an explosive diarrhea during the next days.
>>
File: Drink Bleach.jpg (545KB, 700x1212px) Image search: [Google]
Drink Bleach.jpg
545KB, 700x1212px
>>1065535
This thread again.
>>
>>1065961
You now have hepatitis a. Congratulations.
>>
after watching the news. i think i would pour it through sand carbon sand 2 litter, boil it n drink it through a life straw. but i never got sick drinking out of a little flowing stream our something.
>>
>>1066317
>American rivers
>>
>>1066067
this snips the snap
>>
>>1065535
>How do I ensure I get safe water /out/?
You can:
>Boil it
Extremely safe. Requires time to boil and cool to drinkable temperature. Requires fuel. Decent for camping, sucks for hiking.
>Bleach / various tablets
Also perfectly safe, takes some time, but doesn't require fuel or leave you drinking hot water on a hot day. Some people don't like the taste.
>UV
Typically safe. Can be done with expensive equipment (requires batteries) or in bags or bottles on a bright day (weather permitting).
>Filters
Typically safe. Quickest method, highest carry weight. Gravity systems require little effort. Allows for coolest drinking water. Carbon filters improve taste and remove chemicals but require replacement, popular among car campers. Filters may become damaged in freezing weather.
>Solar distillation
Safest Method. Extremely time consuming, but results in distilled water. Requires both heat and full sun to operate, may require multiple stills running daily. Isn't recommended for hiking.
>Ethanol
Expensive and heavy. Also leaves you slightly inebriated and dehydrates almost almost as quickly as it hydrates. Most enjoyable method.
>DIY/sand filters
Somewhat safe. Large and cumbersome, should only be built for long term campsites. Requires regular maintenance.
>No treatment
Not typically recommended, but still usually safe in high mountain streams only. Lightest method.

A sawyer mini, gravity fed with dedicated dirty bag and bleach/tabs for backup is most common among experienced backpackers.
>>
>>1065565
Only use iodine if you're hiking a lot and you need more water on the trail. If you're at one campsite or you don't need more than a couple liters to get from point A to point B, you don't need iodine unless you don't want to use up fuel or start a fire. It's almost necessary if you're hiking for more than 4 miles or so, especially if you don't feel like carrying more than two water bottles.
>>
>>1066683
Fuck drinking from high mountain streams, there are a lot of high-altitude animals that love to shit in them. Unless you see where the water runs out of the ground, I wouldn't be drinking it without purifying it.
>>
>>1066823
That's what 'Not typically recommended' means.
>>
>>1066317
I'm sick right now after a trip to BWCA. Not sure if it's hep A, or giardia, or just something I've ate since getting back. Today is the first day of diarrhea so I'll know for sure in a couple days if it's from the trip or not. Outside of diarrhea, I also have some dark urine (in spite of drinking lots of water), soreness all around my body in my joints (could be from exhaustion from the trip and yard work), and some nausea and what feels like feverishness.

I only drank filtered water, though it was pumped through a carbon filter that may have needed replacement. I do remember once pumping after being near a Beaver dam, so if I got giardia, that might be the bottle that did it... We also commonly cooked with unfiltered water (brought to a boil, but particles were not removed), and we often pumped water right at the shore rather than deep parts of the lake or flowing water.

All in all, it's worth it for the peace of mind to take it very seriously. I'll probably invest in one of those bag-type gravity systems the next time I go /out/, and probably will be a bit more strict in where I decide to collect from.
>>
>>1066906
>Today is the first day of diarrhea
How's the second day going so far?
>>
File: 1486148918621.jpg (3MB, 2736x3232px) Image search: [Google]
1486148918621.jpg
3MB, 2736x3232px
>>
I took a regular size sawyer squeeze on a month long CDT trip. Never again. I only used clean, clear water and after a few days it was slow as fuck. Backflowing brought almost no improvement. I bought a katadyn hiker and haven't looked back.
>>
>>1067549
Funny. Sawyers seem to work pretty well for everyone else that uses them. Are you sure that you aren't just trying to pass the blame back to the manufacturer because you can't take responsibility for your own actions?
>>
>>1066317
Hep A vaccines are free for gays and bisluts. You should know, given that you're obviously such a massive faggot total yourself.

>Protip: they can't legally contest whether or not you're bisexual, get the shots now.
>>
>>1067626
What a loaded question. Why are you so upset over someone sharing their experiences?
>>
>>1067314
more diarrhea, unfortunately, but the soreness and dark urine is gone.
If it lasts through this week I'm going to go to the doctor.
>>
>>1068398
Please keep me updated.
>>
File: 1499310039055.jpg (30KB, 640x434px) Image search: [Google]
1499310039055.jpg
30KB, 640x434px
>>1068398
Drink pedialyte, and clean water.
>>
>>1067549

Just because you're too stupid to use it doesn't mean it's a bad product.
>>
>>1067405
couldnt you get into legal trouble and the police sizing it because you could use it to distill moonshine
>>
>About to go camping on WA coast
>Friends asking about water
>Tell them about my Sawyer squeeze
>"Oh okay, so we can just drink from the ocean!"
>Tell them no, we need fresh water still
>"But it's a filter, it will catch the salt right?"
> Tell them no, that's not how it works
>"Then how will it filter the bad stuff?"

I didn't have a good explanation ready so now they're distrustful of my water filter. Filters don't work on ocean water, right? We're talking about atoms basically, right?
>>
>>1068575
Is an atom bigger than a parasite (something made of multiple atoms) ?

That should answer your question
>>
>>1068578
Parasites are smaller than atoms
>>
>>1068580
They're bigger than atoms, you retard. They're smaller than proteins though.
>>
>>1068575
When water and sodium chloride mix, there is a chemical reaction. The molecular structure changes, and there's nothing for a carbon filter to "catch" and remove from the "water", rather, they're one homogenous solution.
Even if you had a filter made from something other than activated carbon, with an extremely small... "aperture" (can't think of a better/right term), there's no way to separate the two out in a purely physical manner without undoing that chemical change.
>>
Parasites don't exist because they are invisible.
>>
>>1068420
good news, feeling better today.
makes me wonder WTF it was, though. Too short to be the G, but seemed like it lasted too long to be just general food sickness. Maybe this is just a pause in the storm.
>>
>>1065588
Using sunlight to sterilize water only works if you're close to the equator. Only there the sunlight is strong enough to kill off bacteria It should take about three hours in broad sunlight and up to a day when it's very cloudy. You shouldn't try it in more northern regions as the sunlight isn't strong enough to kill bacteria and other pathogens.
>>
>>1066317
Get vaccinated against hepatitis A and B. It does not cost that much and you get protection for a long time (With Twinrix: hep A for 25..30 years and hep B life-long)
>>
>>1066683
Why is boiling supposedly such a chore? One does not boil whenever one is thirsty. One boils and fills all the containers in one go in the morning, or evening before. Yes, some planning may be required to go from water to water.
>>
>>1070031
The only real issue with boiling is that in many environments it necessitates carrying large amounts of water. For example, most of my time /out/ is in the Ozarks. There are water sources all over the place. If I had to boil, I'd either have to boil a bunch in the morning and carry it all day, or I'd have to stop and boil 3 or 4 times throughout the day. With a filter, I just carry a full bottle and refill it every couple of hours as needed.

If I'm setting up a basecamp, though, I'm with you. Boiling 100%.
>>
>>1070012
That is good news! I'm glad you're feeling better. I hope it's all over and you can get back to your favorite /out/ activity. I think maybe your filter froze or perhaps was factory defective, and you've just never noticed before. It should probably be replaced. You might want to carry a secondary method like bleach or tabs too for when you know the water is high risk, like downstream from a dam.
>>
>>1065608

You're going to die
>>
>>1065608
>Boiling doesn't remove []chemical toxins] anyway
In areas where this is a concern, you could use evaporative purification.
>>
>>1070158
You will too, someday.
>>
>>1068468
I can't speak for your locality, but where I live (Indiana), THING's capability for illegal use is not in itself illegal, unless they can prove THING has been previously or is currently being used for illegal purposes. E.g., a glass pipe isn't illegal to possess unless it contains drug residue.
>>
>>1070265
This is true across the whole of the US. They have to be able to prove illegal use in order for you to be charged. Otherwise cars would be illegal because they can be used for vehicular manslaughter.
>>
>>1070624
Not in Ohio as far as tools to. For example if you had a lockpick and a cop saw it they can charge you with possession of burglary tools. And they can use that to connect you with other crimes.
>>
>>1070643
Sorta. If you have a legitimate use for them (for instance, if you pay $15 for a general contractor's license), then they're a necessary tool for your 'job'.
>>
>>1068468
Depends on the jurisdiction. I know in Canada, if you own a still they will test it to see if you've done any alcohol. If you haven't, they'll give it back.
>>
>>1068580
Parasites are a few million atoms, you ultramaroon.
>>
>>1065588
I don't think this would work for bacteria inside fine silt particles
>>
>>1070785
How do they go inside humans undigested then?
>>
>>1065536
>Activated carbon is one of the best filter mediums.
Activated carbon has a pretty short shelf live (three moths if I remember correctly). I wouldn't rely on it.

>>1068575
>>1068601
>>1065608
You guys should look at reverse osmosis. that's the process removes heavy metals and ions, normal filtering doesn't. Some of the more expensive filters can do reverse osmosis as well. however, normal concentrations of heavy metals are not harmful, so if you don't drink water coming out of a mine shaft or factory (or sea water for that matter), a regular filter like the sawyer works just fine.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.