[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/Out/ings With a Pipe Thread #9

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 85

File: IMG_8129.jpg (332KB, 1861x1692px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8129.jpg
332KB, 1861x1692px
Feel free to post tobaccos (no weed allowed), pipes, collections, pics of favorite combos for going /out/, pics of what you're doing with your pipe and any questions you might have.

Want to get into smoking pipes without spending too much cash?
Get a Missouri Meerschaum Legend corncob pipe and a pouch of either Prince Albert, Carter Hall or Half and Half tobacco, available at most drugstores.
What you'll need: pipe, tobacco, lighter or matches, pipe cleaners, and either a regular old nail or a pipe tool (combination tamper, scoop, and small pick).
All of these together should run you less than $20.

Having trouble keeping your pipe lit? Fill it with less tobacco and smoke it slower than you think you need to, lightly tamping as needed when the smoke starts thinning out.
If you're still having trouble, try filling your pipe this way:
https://youtu.be/0XHYPso7TXs

Old thread >>1050915

Come on in and get comfy.
>>
File: IMG_8150.jpg (1MB, 2747x1917px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8150.jpg
1MB, 2747x1917px
Pipe of the night

Missouri Meerschaum Legend with Dunhill Flake
Suffered a cob-tastrophe a few weeks back when my regular cob fell out of my pocket while walking through a field of tall grass to go fishing. An hour of searching later, I called it and spent $7 on this one.
It's not as good as the older one was yet, but it's getting there.
>>
>>1065455
Rip old cob
>>
Had a great hike up to Pyramid Lake and Ball Lakes here in the Selkirks today with my doggo. I had some Frog Morton in my Wessex and kicked back for a bit before scrambling some of the Boulder fields. Didn't stay terribly long since I wanted to hit the hardware store on my way home for fence posts. Overall a good day, first real hike of the year for me.

>>1065455
>yuengling

I was just in Maryland a few weeks back and that stuff was everywhere. Tried it once, not too shabby. Mostly drank dark beers that trip though.
>>
Hill People Gear Kit Bag + Tarahumara, Bradley Mountain Pipe Roll, Wessex Billiard pipe.
>>
>>1065477
>>1065478
Damn dude! nice pics!
>>
So I, for the life of me, can not figure out how to keep this thing lit. There are plenty of youtube videos explaining it yet despite following them to the best of my ability it still goes out maybe a minute or two after initially lighting. What do I do?
>>
I can't for the life of me get my tobacco to burn evenly. It's only on one side of the bowl that the ember stays. How do I fix this?

>>1065519
Pack light. Do a charring light first -- get all the stuff on the top nice and black, so that it fluffs up, and then tamp it down.

Smoke slower than you think you need to. Every five seconds or so sip at it, or so I was told. Works well enough.

Otherwise it's just feeling it out through trial and error.
>>
>>1065519
Don't cram so much tobacco into your pipe.
90% of problems with keeping pipes lit comes from two things: putting too much tobacco into your pipe (and/or compressing it too much), and then smoking too fast.

Try filling your pipe this way:
>using pipe bowl, scoop tobacco into pipe
>shake to settle
>scoop again to top off
>light.
You won't win any smoking competitions this way, but you WILL get a loose fill that's easy to light, flavorful and stays lit until it's time to (lightly) tamp.

Once that's done, the rest comes down to cadence-how fast you smoke it. If you have a flavored tobacco, the sugar that holds the flavoring to the tobacco also attracts moisture, and that moisture has to go somewhere before it can burn. If you're constantly sucking at the thing, the only way for the moisture to go is down-into the tobacco below (where it saturates it, so the back half of the bowl won't light for shit and tastes awful), the bottom of the pipe (where it will gurgle) and up the stem into your mouth (where it gives you a small steam burn we call "tongue bite"). Smoke slower and the steam goes up the pipe bowl to escape when you're not puffing. Moisture doesn't collect inside the pipe, so your tobacco stays dry and retains it flavor more, your pipe stays dry, and your tongue stays intact. So go slower.

One final thing: heavily flavored tobaccos are the hardest stuff to keep lit in the whole realm of pipe smoking. You've really got to be on your game to have a good experience. I suppose this makes them good for people to learn on, but if you want something easier try an unflavored blend like Prince Albert or Carter Hall. Super Value English Mixture is also surprisingly good too, if you can find it.
>>
>>1065553
>I can't for the life of me get my tobacco to burn evenly.
Light the whole top of the tobacco at the start. Try to get the corners that normally don't like to light. But that said, no pipe or even bowl is going to be perfect, so there will always be a little unevenness in the burn somewhere.
For the most part, this can be remedied when tamping.
When you tamp, try using it like a brush or even swirling it around the top of the tobacco to break up the ash and push the unburnt stuff into contact with the ember. Go with very light pressure-you won't need to use any more pressure than just the weight of the tamper itself. All you're trying to do is just get the ember out of the ash and back into contact with unburnt tobacco. When you see curls of smoke rise from the top of the bowl again, you're done.
>>
>>1065647
Thanks, brudda. Will try.
>>
File: IMG_0739.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0739.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
My first pipe. I complained about it cracking near the stem a couple threads ago.

I covered it in epoxy -- a bad move, as now it's pretty fucking ugly. Not the end of the world, though -- got some other MM cobs that I'll take proper care of, plus some minis and a briar. This can be my working pipe, the one which I can clench without worrying about the bit, or the one I treat badly while I'm focused on other things.

Helping my dad and his wife renovate their house. They got it from within the family, but the inside is dusty and ugly. In the process of beautifying the first half.
>>
>>1065478
>Tarahumara
i'm not sure what you're actually referring to, but it's funny because i just started reading "born to run" last night
>>
>>1065672
i actually kinda like how that looks
>>
>>1065561
So light, smoke, tamp, light, smoke? When do I tamp?
>>
>>1065672
My work/travel pipe is a MM mini. Things are pretty durable, smoke fast yet cool so your "smoke break" doesn't end up being a half a fucking hour, and fit in your pocket.

Also, if you do break one (I've had one in my pocket for several months now without it breaking, despite being in with my car keys and pocket change) they're cheap and you can usually salvage parts off it to repair the next one you break.
>>
>>1065802
as little as possible but when necessary
>>
>>1065802
Whenever you feel the need to.
If you tamp at the right time, you won't need to (re)light it so much, because the tamping puts the ember back in contact with unburnt tobacco. You can just go right back to smoking.
>>
>>1065683
Lol, it's the backpack model.

>>1065502
Thanks anon! Usually I don't take very good ones but this batch I liked. Sorry they're sideways.

If you're ever in North Idaho you have to do this hike. For a 2 mile investment it's easily a 10 mile reward, planning a backpack trip up that way. You could go up there and overnight, collect water, then get an early start on Long Canyon which is a 30ish mile loop through an unlocked, never touched drainage in the Selkirks. Here's another.
>>
>>1066055
*unlogged, not unlocked. Phoneposting...
>>
After a few months of using a pipe, I kinda learned how to make it not go out after 20 seconds. I even managed to use it for roughly for five minutes, a handful times.

Then I just went back to smoking cigarettes. There is nothing good about smoking pipes.
>>
is this the thread to ask about dip and/or swedish snus

and, related, why do so many wildland fire guys and loggers smoke like chimneys when they're not on the job and dip when they are

that is, why are they all tobacco fiends, not "why do they not smoke on job sites", I get that part
>>
>>1066072
>uses pipe for 20 minutes total
>"nope not for me"
At least you tried

>>1066080
It's almost like they are unconcerned with their own safety or something...
>>
>>1066080
EMS guy here, was fire for a while. Also worked in a logging related industry, oddly enough. Basically it's a culture thing. Loggers are typically pretty redneck and wildland guys aren't far off, and in that blue collar redneck world it's easy to start smoking early in life. The stressful job makes it easy to keep doing it.

Wildland firefighters are actually very concerned about their own safety, in terms of physical threats. They have two lists of Fire Orders and Lookout Situations they have to memorize. But in general, fire, ems, and law enforcement tend to have some unhealthy habits like smoking or drinking and a lot of us just don't take care of ourselves physically or mentally.

Some EMS agencies and fire depts, like mine, have shrinking populations of smokers because we unofficially weed them out with physical testing. But even the flight Medics and flight nurses I know -basically the apex of the EMS profession- have a strong tendency toward heavy drinking. Not necessarily alcoholism but definitely more than a lot of people. I'm not as bad as them in terms of quantity but it's not that weird for me to be in to my first beer by 11 AM on a week day depending on how work has been.

This has nothing to do with pipes. Sorry.
>>
>When the baccy hits u with that Vamin N jolt and the woods just gets a little better
i feel it lads
>>
>>1065450
I use a Meershaum legend and smoke Nat Sherman 536 tobacco.
>>
>>1066080
Stressful, demanding jobs have a very high correlation to vice usage. EMS, cops, military, Wall Street bankers, etc. all tend to have something they do that's bad for them, whether it's tobacco, booze, illegal drugs, hookers, gambling, etc. It's an endorphin rush (albeit small with some of them) and a mental reward/security blanket.

t. career soldier
>>
>>1066576
How do you like the 536?
Local shop has some and fondled it a little, but didn't know how good it was.
>>
File: IMG_8157.jpg (538KB, 1946x2125px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8157.jpg
538KB, 1946x2125px
The breaking in of the new cob continues, this time at a local lake.
>>
fucking hipsters
>>
>>1066966
>someone is enjoying themselves without my permission!
>how dare they!
I know, right?
It's almost like this board doesn't cater to you exclusively or something....
>>
>>1066966
I was infantry and lived in the jungle for months at a time. A pipe is pretty based in these circumstances. Because you can't get to a shop to buy cigarettes, and your rolling papers will get wet. So either sit in the rain trying to dry out a paper as you cook a meal, talk to the guy who brought a huge amount of cigarettes, or just pull out a pipe. There's a reason they are traditionally valued for the outdoors, because you are exposed to the elements and aren't anywhere near a shop.
>>
>>1066966
Hippy here, don't associate me with those people man. I just wanna smoke my pipe and relax in nature, not rant about capitalism on my eyephone.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170724-142009.png (634KB, 645x811px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170724-142009.png
634KB, 645x811px
Does any of you know lighters like these but cheaper?

Tsubota pearl premium #180 (150$ on ebay...)
>>
>>1067057
Colibri makes some that are around $60. Google "roller lighter"and you'll get some hits.
>>
>>1067057
That's a design made famous by Dunhill with their Rollalite and Rollagas.
They're not everywhere like Zippos are, but they are around, they have been copied, and are not rare.
Colibri still makes a lot of them, and you can always find them on eBay.
>>
File: IMG_8165.jpg (1MB, 2111x1924px)
IMG_8165.jpg
1MB, 2111x1924px
Pipe of the night

Pre-WWII GBD bulldog with Elizabethan.
Most people know GBD as an English brand, but for most of their first century, they were made in France. This one is made in Paris, their original home, where Ganneval, Bondier and Donninger started the firm in 1850. They expanded to London in the very early 1900s, and moved French production to St. Claude not long after, so this may be a very old pipe indeed. And it has the wear to prove it.
Nevertheless it smokes fantastic, is a fine example of a classic French bulldog shape, and I love the feel of the taper stem.
>>
File: IMG_8167.jpg (599KB, 2098x2186px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8167.jpg
599KB, 2098x2186px
>>1067596
...and then I went a little too fast and got a gurgle.
Not to worry.
If you new guys ever get that, here's what you do:
Just run a pipe cleaner up the stem like so-you can even do it while the pipe is lit and it won't hurt anything-to soak up the couple drops of moisture, and go back to smoking.
>>
>>1065983
Just picked up smoking with my grandfather's Dr. Grabow briar. It's got a pretty even burn so far though I've mainly been smoking Captain's brand out of it. What do you /out/doorsmen use to tamp your pipes?

Also, looking to buy a MM here soon, I'm really digging their Cobbit series
>>
>>1067775
Either a czech tool or a bottle opener/tamper combo I have. If I forget to bring them I just use my finger...
>>
>>1067799
I use my thumb to tamp if I'm smoking while driving otherwise a Czech tool
>>
>>1067775
Either a pipe nail or a regular nail.

Have a Czech tool and don't like it. Too fumbly for me-the center rivet is pretty loose and my fingers get caught up between tools when I'm trying to use it.
That first pipe nail was a revelation, I'm not going back.
>>
>>1067775
Czech tool. nail. folded pipe cleaner (doesn't work very good), stick.. butt of pencil, the list goes on, but the Czech tool or other purpose built tool, really is superior
>>
File: IMG_4766.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4766.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Took this today. MM mini pipe I picked up. Good for a nice /out/ing in humid Florida weather.
>>
>>1068063
New to pipe smoking, have some captain black original and it is rather tasteless. What are /out/s favorites? Been looking into dunhill nightcap
>>
>>1068063
Nice!
>>
File: 20170306_173645.jpg (2MB, 2000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
20170306_173645.jpg
2MB, 2000x1500px
>>1068069
Peterson Irish flake and Orlik Golden sliced
>>
File: IMG_8176.jpg (262KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8176.jpg
262KB, 450x450px
>>1068069
Dunhill Royal Yacht, Dunhill 965 and Bell's Three Nuns.

Of the domestic and widely available blends, I like Carter Hall and Half & Half.
>>
>>1068069
Boswell Northwoods
Stokkebye Balkan Supreme
Orlik Golden Slices
Frog Morton, Bayou and On the Town.
Nording, trout stream
C& D, Captain Bob's Blend
4 Noggins, Prairie Wind
Esoterica, Penzance
G.L. Pease - Quiet Nights
Seattle pipe club, plum pudding
>>
>>1068136
I just ordered some Quiet Nights, I'm hoping its as good as Stone Hinge.
>>1068069
Most Dunhill tobacco's are good, Dunhill Flake and Elizabethan are my favourites but you can't go wrong with Dunhill.
Bell's Three Nuns is amazing.
Peterson's blends are fantastic.
Escuado is in my stack down at the bottom with Captain Black Gold and Dark.
My old vice, that i still keep a jar full of and actually have in my pipe now, is Borkum riff whiskey blend mixed with something cherry, Middletons if i can find it or Decator dark cherry. I smoked nothing but that for years untill i realized there was other stuff out there, and thats all my dad smokes, can't get him to try anything else.
Most of the stuff i like now was recomended in this thread. I've learned so much from the folks here.
Thanks guys!
>>
>>1068205
I'm looking into Elizabethan now thank you! From what I read it's not as heavy as nightcap and may be more beginner friendly while also having substance to it.
>>
>>1068221
It is. Be warned, the first few bowls will be on the bitter side of spicy and you may wonder if you've made a mistake. As it dries out a little it will settle down into something wonderful. Then you'll start noticing that one bowl turns into three and wondering where that full tin you had went to because this one is almost gone.
>>
File: pipe.jpg (2MB, 3120x4208px) Image search: [Google]
pipe.jpg
2MB, 3120x4208px
what's a good tobacco I can get in Europe? more specifically Italy?

I've started piping yesterday and used black ambrosia. I still have to tune my packing and puffing, I think I puffed way too slow and the thing kept running out
>>
>>1068469
nice pipes!
>>
>>1068469
Brebbia and Savinelli each have their own pipe tobacco lines, but the traditional domestic Italian brands-that used to be made by the state monopoly-are now made by Manifatture Sigaro Toscano (MST).
They have 4 blends-Italia, Comune, Golf Armonia and Forte.
Forte is a the strongest and oldest (it's what everybody's grandfather used to smoke); it's a full-strength burley blend.
Italia is the mild blend.
Comune is somewhere in between Forte and Italia.
Golf Armonia is the lightly sweetened aromatic.
>>
>>1068063
I feel you on the weather. I live along the Gulf Coast and enjoyed a cob and some Bayou Morning this afternoon while working outdoors
>>
>>1068205
Quiet Nights was frustrating because of how dusty and crumbly it was, but a fantastic smoke otherwise. It can be a bit dense and chunky so give it a good once over to make sure it's at a normal consistency.
>>
Can we get some real talk about the negative health aspects of pipe smoking? I know pipes are among the gentler ways to have nicotine, but can one smoke one daily and not worry or what? If I buy a pipe, I wouldn't want it to bite me in the ass.

Anyone know?
>>
>>1068873
Light smoking (1-2 bowls ever 2-3 days) is associated with just a 5% greater risk of any type of cancer vs nonsmokers, as you smoke more, of course, the risk goes up. For heavy pipe smokers (10+ bowls per day) the risk is about 100% greater.
For reference, a pack per day cigarette smoker has a more than 1600% greater cancer risk cancer vs a nonsmoker.
So not risk-free, but as far as things that are bad for you, you could do worse.
>>
>>1068873
First,
>>1068894

And for perspective, someone who smokes 1-2 bowls of tobacco a day (provided it's actually pipe tobacco and not roll-your-own cigarette tobacco or menthol) but doesn't drink commercial energy drinks (soda/coffee/tea not counted) has a lower risk of cancer than someone who drinks 2 Red Bulls a week. All else being equal of course.

There are other risks besides cancer with smoking (anything) though. Gum disease is the big one, which can manifest as receding gums or a higher propensity to cavities. This is true of any scenario where you're inhaling smoke, whether it be from a tobacco pipe, cigarette, weed pipe, crack pipe, forest fire, or vehicle exhaust. Higher exposure rates (both time and intensity) exponentially increase the probability.

While there are a few other risks related to tobacco pipes, they are both rare and only have strong correlations in extremely heavy pipe smokers (10+ bowls a day).
>>
How do you all transport your pipe and tobacco, like if you were going out on a drive or a hike? Any tips something besides just clumsily carrying everything?
>>
File: IMG_6915.jpg (1MB, 2446x2704px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6915.jpg
1MB, 2446x2704px
>>1069122
I put everything-pipe, tobacco, cleaners, tamper and lighter-into a ziplock bag, like so. That way it's just grab and go.
>>
File: 20170727_133614.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170727_133614.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>1069122
Tactical mag pouch to keep everything snug. Nah just kidding. I just toss it in a bag or pocket
>>
File: 20170727_133855.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170727_133855.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
Nice relaxing smoke. Reading and Coffee watching the coots and grebes diving. No geese here yet thankfully
>>
File: 20170727_081304.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px)
20170727_081304.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1065450
I used to have a nice Savinelli, but I left it at a friend's house who ruined it by smoking weed out of it.

The meerschaum back there is a real amber stem, which is a bit brittle. I prefer acryllic stems.
>>
File: wooden-pipe5293.jpg (31KB, 664x800px) Image search: [Google]
wooden-pipe5293.jpg
31KB, 664x800px
Why don't any of you smoke out of a real pipe and not a faggy corncob one?
>>
>>1069173
American for reference, just getting into pipes, but far more normal people find corncobs cool, they cant believe a real corn cob can be used as a pipe, meanwhile they cant appreciate the wood grain on the most beautiful briar, so if style is your aim go corncob imo.
>>
>>1069172
that poker is hella cute
>>
>>1069122
Zip lock tobacco and pipe and cigarettes and lighter(s) you don't want this shit to be wet when you want a smoke or to light a fire. Wrap electrical tape all around the bag as well to strengthen it. A pipe is a lot easier to keep dry enough to work than rolling papers or a pack of cigarettes, but the tobacco or at least the back up tobacco should be kept safely dry away with your sleeping bag and spare jocks/socks so you can have a nice smoke, feed and sleep after setting up when everything has turned to shit and you've stomped through mud up to your knees all day in the rain.
>>
>>1069173
I do. I've got 3 briars, a meerschaum, 2 hardwoods, and 3 cobs.
>>
File: IMG_7968.jpg (364KB, 1388x1840px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7968.jpg
364KB, 1388x1840px
>>1069161
>kuksa
>flask
>the Comoy
Living the /comfy/ lifestyle, I see.
Oh, to be a student again...

>>1069173
>tries to ritz everybody about not having a REAL pipe
>posts one made of briar instead
This is why you fail.

But to answer your question about why cobs are preferred:
>smokes much better
>smokes much cooler
>doesn't gurgle
>doesn't hold a ghost, unlike briar
>very neutrally flavored, unlike briar
>available literally everywhere
>very /out/ tolerant and easy to live with-if one goes swimming by accident, just let it dry out in the sun and no harm done
>all at 1/10 the price of a brand name briar pipe, and 1/5 the price of a no name second with finish problems

I could go on, but you get the idea.
>>
>>1069192
This guy handmakes them, if you're interested.
http://www.ebay.com/usr/jacob8706
>>
>>1069228
This is the proper response to this guy.
>>
>>1068592
Thanks, but I feel like a total retard as I was treating the peterson supreme with salt and rum yesterday and the golden collar fell off, maybe from the wood enflating because of the rum humidity. I haven't given the treatment to the other one but I've noticed some cracks on its collar as well.

I'm writing to peterson to have them repair, hope it doesn't cost me a kidney
>>
>>1069277
Check to see if the collar is cracked.
If not, it's probably due to it being very dry where you are and the wood has contracted enough for it to pop off. If it has, you can slip it back on and then just smoke it to rehydrate the wood.
>>
>>1069277
When doing a salt and alcohol treatment, it's better to use high proof spirits or isopropyl so that that doesn't happen.
90+% ABV spirits doesn't dump tons of water into your pipe like standard 40% does.
>>
File: IMG_20170727_165128.jpg (1MB, 4208x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170727_165128.jpg
1MB, 4208x3120px
>>1069288
unfortunately the collar cracked, on the royal irish which I haven't treated the collar is showing some slight cracks.
They've been stored for a dozen years in a very dry apartment without ever being smoked, so it might be the cause.
I contacted a goldsmith which could redo the broken collar for 70€, but I would like to keep the original stamps. Now I'm just waiting for Peterson to respond to my inquire. I also have an acquaintaince that is supposedly very good at pipe restoration, but I think this might be beyond him
>>
>>1069291
What probably did it more than anything else was the heat cycling, especially in the winter. Going from hot to REALLY cold and back again will cause the metal bands to shrink and expand much more than wood does. Repeat that a few thousand times, and it's no wonder you've got a torn up band. Once they get to pressing on each other it's just a matter of which one is stronger, and your pipe's band didn't have a chance.
I also think your instincts are correct-this is beyond your buddy's ability. I'd rather go straight to Pete or the goldsmith for a better solution.
>>
Whats the most /out/ pipe you ever seen?
>>
File: pipe.jpg (1MB, 2576x1944px) Image search: [Google]
pipe.jpg
1MB, 2576x1944px
Greetings from Italy
>>
>>1069881
damn that band tho
>>
>>1069891
We don't have a great variety of tobaccos in italy
>>
>>1069918
That sucks. Lovely pipe
>>
>>1069926
Thanks
>>
>>1069918
Perhaps not, but what you do have is top notch if you can get Squadron leader locally.
>>
File: 15012822881801960193331.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
15012822881801960193331.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
In a local park with my Rossi and a bowl full of On the Town. I cannot keep this thing lit though.
>>
>>1070051
You packed your bowl way too tight.
Don't do that.
To fix it, wait until it cools then dump it into your hand and dump it back into the bowl with no packing. Your hand will get ashy, but the rest of your bowl will go much better.
That's a small price to pay, and a pretty obvious way to learn your lesson about packing too tight.
Next time don't pack it nearly as hard. Hell, don't even pack it at all. Just fill the bowl loosely up to the top and light it.
You can always compress the tobacco more, loosening it up once it's lit is a lot harder.
>>
>>1070062
....or maybe it's too loose and he needs to tamp it
....or maybe the tobacco is too wet
....or maybe he's smoking too slowly
not saying you're wrong, but you're an insufferable fucking know-it-all and you speak arrogantly in these threads
>>
>>1070184
dont be a meanie!
>>
>>1069881
how strong would you say this is? im considering either this or dunhill nightcap for next purchase
>>
File: IMG_0749.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px)
IMG_0749.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
Some Samuel Gawith flake, can't remember which flavor. Very smoky and savory with slight spice, though, like seasoned grilled meat.

I'm in the middle of nowhere, Texas. Wondering if it's possible they have pipe tobacco at the local convenience store.
>>
>>1070316
I'm >>1069881
For me It's not that strong, but I also smoke italian cigars made with kentucky tobacco.
It mostly depends on what you usually smoke, I'm kind of a latakia addicted, it's a bit stronger that the 965 my mixture by dunhill.
If you haven't ttied the 965... you should, it's a great mixture
>>
>>1070325
Turns out they do! Got myself some Sir Walter Raleigh and some Half and Half.

They smell sweeter, like some of the homemade aromatics I've bought, than what I currently smoke (Super Value and now Samuel Gawith). That surprised me. We'll see how it tastes.
>>
>>1066966
Eat a dick. Most of us smoke pipes because of tradition, not because we think it makes us look cool
My grandpa was a pharmacist back through the 50s-90s, and always smoked a pipe. As a child, I'd always try to be like him and pretend to smoke plastic toy pipes
>>
>>1068069
Peterson Balkan Delight
Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman
2 parts mix Altadis Chocolate truffle, 1 part mix Altadis Frosty Mint
>>
>>1070396
>Nine out of ten pharmacists recommend pipe smoking!
>>
>>1070429
He's into his 80s now and has quit smoking for maybe fifteen years now. It's a shame I was never able to share a smoke with him
>>
File: 20170727_141144.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170727_141144.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>
How do you guys feel about cigars? I very much prefer them to pipes and I'm surprised I never see them mentioned here, even though this is a pipe gen I see it more as an /out/ tobacco thread. What's wrong with just throwing a few in individual tubes and putting them in your pack?
>>
>>1070521
Unlike pipes, cigars can get ruined in the elements. That and cigars are more expensive as a hobby.
>>
>>1070558
Also, in certain climates, cigars are a bitch to smoke.
>>
>>1070559
Yeah I didn't even think of that, im from Florida so it never occurred to me
>>
>>1070558
I like cigars too, but pipes are more affordable especially for the variety of choices I like to have around. And /out/ a cigar would be a bit harder to keep from getting ruined.

I also just like the fiddly nature of it. I'm more likely to have a cigar socially though.
>>
>>1070521
>Pro
tasty as fuck
>con
brittle and a bit more of a hassle to pack

love cigars, had a Kuwaiti one recently, pretty good.
>>
>>1070593
Is that an actual pipe holder. With pouch for tobacco?

On a hat?

I want this
>>
File: IMG_20170729_140757.jpg (878KB, 3006x2023px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170729_140757.jpg
878KB, 3006x2023px
Does /out/ like my new hat?
>>
>>1070594
Sorry I reposted because the image was massive. It has two pockets, holds pipe cleaners better than full pipes though. Got it from smokingpipes dot com
>>
File: 1501363992070960780741.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1501363992070960780741.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Bought pipes off eBay, and one of the stems looks like its was smoked by a mule.
>>
>>1070597
Nice!
>>1070607
Still looks better then my cobs stem
>>
>>1070595
No, that thing looks ridiculous, sorry.
>>
File: 20170730_011611.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px)
20170730_011611.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>1070638
PROOFS!?!
Literally about to become a reverse P-lip
>>
>>1070672
At least you know you did that, mine was chomped on by some old guy.
>>
File: 20170729_183304.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170729_183304.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>1070678
True.
you gonna have the sten replaced?
>>
>>1070685
Probably. Or wrap it up. There's a metal piece on the end that goes into the bowl. Does that meant all stems for that pipe need that piece? Its not a screw b t w
>>
File: IMG_0752.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px)
IMG_0752.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>1070346
As part of piping to relax, I try to think about how to describe the flavor of the smoke. Sometimes it's nearly impossible. Anyone else have this?

Back on topic -- the SWR was mellow, but had the taste of a cigarette, pretty much, minus the chemical tang. Not nearly as sweet as it smelled.

HaH is very good, sweet with a fuller taste. I'll be smoking it regularly.
>>
>>1070706
Ive repaired similar looking stems by filing/sanding the dents down. Its risky because you can end up with so little material that you will bite through it easily, but its worth a try if youre gonna replace it anyway.
>>
>>1070707
I have that issue too sometimes but it gets easier if I smoke the same tobacco a few bowls in a row (even over several days separation, just no other tobaccos between). I usually pick out generalities like "wood smoke" or "sweet" or "floral", and eventually refine those to more specific flavors like "campfire at night", "old books", "molasses", "sweet cream" or "wildflowers".

I started with Latakia heavy blends and am just now getting to Virginia flakes and blends. It's taking more thought and time to both get used to smoking some of those and describing their profiles.
>>
File: 20170729_222930.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20170729_222930.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>1070672
You're almost as bad as I am.
>>
>>1070706
Look into "softy" bits that go on the end of the mouthpiece. Lots of pipe shops-both online and B&M-have them

That little metal thingy on the end of the mouthpiece is called a stinger. A lot ofnolder pipes had them to keep moisture from going up the mouthpiece. They work ok, but need to be cleaned regularly and often a pipe will smoke better without them.
>>
>>1070558
Because cigars are significantly more expensive than pipes, even comparing fairly cheap cigars (~$2.50 each) to a $150 meerschaum pipe smoking imported tinned tobacco.

I like cigars but my all time favorite is over $9 each.
>>
>>1066080
/out/ dipper reporting in
It helps me with the anxiety/stress of my life; did I also mention I crave it? Although, I enjoyed the pipe I bought today so much that I never picked up my tin of Copenhagen
>>
OK
this may be the dumbest question anyones ever asked in this general before,
since the MM stems are plastic, can you clean them in the dishwasher?
>>
>>1070859
I dont think it would ruin it, but it probably wouldnt be cleaned much on the inside. If it needs a thorough cleaning, nothing beats pipe cleaners and alcohol..
>>
I have a dumb question, but one I think is fairly simple What's a good first tobacco with a good smell? The only reason I'm not already smoking pipe is my wife thinks it will smell like nasty cigarettes, so if I can avoid smelling like cigarettes she will probably reconsider. either way I can save it for when I'm /out/ if she still dislikes the smell
>>
>>1070889
Macbaren Original Choice is by far the tobacco ive gotten most good comments on from others
>>
>>1070889
Captain Black Royal. I've made a lot of friends while smoking that stuff
>>
File: DSC_1461.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_1461.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
>>1069881
My man
>>1069891
It's a medium English however very flural
>>1069891
Why so?
>>
>>1070938
Is that bone?
>>
>>1070755
Is there an easy to remove the stinger? I tried pulling on it and if wouldn't budge.
>>
File: 20170729_165257.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170729_165257.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Gonna crack into my first tin of nightcap when I run out of Orlik golden slices. Really excited to try it
>>
File: IMG_20170730_113329.jpg (1MB, 3006x2638px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170730_113329.jpg
1MB, 3006x2638px
What's everyone smoking today? For me, it's Peterson's Balkan Delight in my Peterson 999 (Killarney red) with some Bulleit Bourbon and the sweet sweet sounds of Mungo Jerry
>>
>>1071117
Most were push-in, but a few screwed in. Try t both ways, but do not force it.

It may not have been cleaned in awhile and the tars could have glued it to the mouthpiece. If that's the case soak a pipe cleaner in 91% alcohol and run it up through the bit and let the alcohol do its thing for a bit before trying again.
If that fails, put the mouthpiece in the freezer for 10-15 minutes them try again. The metal stinger will contract more than the mouthpiece and you should be able to pop it off. Once you do, clean it with paper towels and 91% alcohol.

That freezer trick also works with mouthpieces that you can't get apart. I've used it a lot when an eBay special turns out to be plugged full of tar and never cleaned ever.
>>
>>1071159
Thanks. I am going to give all the the pipes I got off eBay a deep clean. Ill do that then.
>>
>>1071141
Orlik golden sliced
>>
File: IMG_8200.jpg (2MB, 2410x2301px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8200.jpg
2MB, 2410x2301px
>>1071141
Finishing up the last of my Dunhill flake and singing along with the Sundays on a glorious summer afternoon fishing trip.
>>
>>1071186
im so in love with that pipe!
>>
File: 20170730_182000.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170730_182000.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>1071141
Half & Half in a MM Mini
>>
How bad is pipe smoking for you?
>>
File: 20170730_201036.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px)
20170730_201036.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>1071141
>>1071186
Im at work slumming it in the alley with some Dunhill Flake myself. How is the Balkan Delight? I really love Dunhill Durbar and want to try more balkan blends. I liked Peterson Old Dublin so Id love to try another of theirs.

>>1071121
Mah nigga. Thats one of my favorites. That will be my late night smoke here in a bit.

>>1071436
Theres some stats further up. Not inhaling, smoking slow and cool, 1 pipe a day or less your risk is very negligible. I think up to 10 pipes a day (Who has time for that?!) You have a 5% increase in cancer risk which is less than some other accepted habits.

However, a pretty reputable long term study also found that on average, pipe smokers live like 2 years longer than non pipe smokers. If it is relaxing for you, theres a bit of benefit in that regard.
>>
>>1071450
Balkan Delight is interesting to say the least. Not only really a Balkan, as therefore no orientals. That being said, it's a great blend. Fuck loads of perique so it's smoky, woody, and peppery. Light easy, smokes smooth
>>
>>1071323
That looks comfy as fuck dude, gotta remember to grab a MM mini next time im at the tobacco shop
>>
File: 20170731_131858.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170731_131858.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
Cute little rape monsters
>>
>>1070981
Yeah I made it, there's a metal tube connecting the bowl to the mouthpiece however so smoke never comes into contact
>>
>>1071141
Half and Half in a modded MM Huck Finn.

Hiking in Texas hill country.
>>
File: IMG_0756.jpg (4MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0756.jpg
4MB, 3024x4032px
>>1071576
Forgot image.
>>
>>1071539
Very comfy. I'm up at my dad's place taking care of him through a surgery, I helped dig this koi pond 21 years ago. Needed a bit of relaxation.
>>
>>1071622
could have said that was Africa and i would have believed you, how people survive in so hot places is beyond me, i wouldn't last a month.

>>1071624
aww thats sweet, hope it goes good
>>
>>1071121
Been smoking Nightcap every evening on the GR11 so far. Love it. Had a dodgy stomach the other day. Some weak tea and a pipe sorted me right out.
>>
>>1071638
The brits ruled the world for a reason. They knew the power of tea and a good pipe
>>
>>1071637
You do it with ice water, thin clothes, pools, and a lot of air conditioning.

Working out in it is hell though. Try painting a door and have your sweat steadily dropping into it. Any physical labor is by default miserable. Here, the summer, not the winter, is where everyone stays inside and does nothing.

Pulled out from a fence a pile of brambles half as tall as me, about 9 feet in diameter, and cut extra barbed wire off a week ago. Fucking awful. Had to sit and guzzle down water every twenty minutes.

That being said, I'm wimpy about it too.
>>
>>1071718
Floridafag here, today is the first day in a while that it hasnt been swelteringly hot and humid. Its a nice breezy 84 here
>>
Anyone noticed a decline in stamina while hiking since they began smiking?
>>
>>1071724
94 and 40% humidity over here.

What do you do for work? Hopefully nothing out in the heat.
>>
File: IMG_0757.jpg (1MB, 1869x2346px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0757.jpg
1MB, 1869x2346px
>>1071727
Yes, but I'm getting better now I'm off cigarettes. 5 bowls a day is much better than 30 cancer sticks.

A cactus. Torched a prickly pear clean (else they stick you) and brought it back.
>>
>>1071727
no, but, but ive also cut way back on my drinking (believe it or not) so i think the improvement i see from that way outweighs the smoking
>>
>>1071727
Nope.
Mostly because I don't inhale, so the lung damage isn't there for me.
>>
>>1070521
I smoke both. Most days it's my pipe. If I'm celebrating something I'll buy a nice cigar. I'd be broke if i was smoking fine cigars regularly.

Plus what these anon said.>>1070558
>>1070570
>>
How do you store your pipe that way it doesn't make your backpack reek like sweaty tobacco? Do you have a special bag for it?
>>
>>1072153
My wife bought me this canvas roll-up that holds everything. But I am considering putting that in a sturdy zip lock, partly because it does still have that tobacco smell and partly for moisture protection. It's great for organization though.
>>
File: 9005-34.jpg (131KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
9005-34.jpg
131KB, 1080x1080px
>avid snuser
>read this thread
>decided to pick up a corncob and some capstan gold navy cut flake
>tastes like a trashy cigarette, unburnt smell is like horse faeces and lucky strikes

Wtf??? I thought this was supposed to be fermented and taste like a cigar? This tastes like cigarettes AKA burnt paper. If this is what pipe tobacco tastes like generally putting it in a pipe instead of a cigarette is like putting make-up on a pig.
>>
>>1072250
That's odd. A flake tobacco should be mild, kind of a mix of sweet and hay-like aroma and flavor. Did you follow the low-and-slow smoking guideline or are you smoking it too hot and fast?

Also, flake tobaccos are really a thing of their own. Did you rub it or fold it? Did you light it too hot? Basically, the only times I've gotten the rotten ashy taste is either at the bar end of a bowl or when I've torched the tobacco and smoked it too hard.
>>
>>1072250
Also, what sort of cob pipe? Some of the basket cobs are made in China and actually can have nasty lacquer and crap on them
>>
File: 11680454.jpg (71KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
11680454.jpg
71KB, 500x375px
>>1072263
>A flake tobacco should be mild
Well this was fresh out of vacuum so I guess it's a bit harsher at first, but yes it is "mild" relative to a cigar, more of a light cigarette flavour.

>a mix of sweet and hay-like aroma and flavor
Unsmoked it has a fermented hay (horse faeces and ettan-snus) flavour. Which is very unlike fermented tobaccos like cigars and and chew which share that raisin, honey, and jungle floor deliciousness that usually separates fermented tobaccos from fresh ones like snus and cigarettes (and for some reason the pipe tasted more like fresh/unfermented tobaccos than fermented ones). Really expected it to be more like a cigar like romeo y julieta or cohiba. When smoked, the mild horse poop flavour is killed away by the dry cardboard smoke that is the trademark of a 4am newport cig butt that's been sitting in a pack for four months if you smoke it for too long. Terrible experience really.

>>1072268
It's a cheap ass missouri meerschaum no filter atm but at least its got raw interior. I did crush the flake and smoke it hard. I'll try again much softer but really my question is is there any pipe tobacco that properly smells like a good fermented leaf? Like a cigar or fresh chew? Or do they all smell/taste like unfermented (cigarette/snus) tobacco?
>>
>>1072279
Update: smoking softly while folded and there is no mistaking this tobacco tastes and smells like a cigarette, not a cigar.
>>
>>1072279
Might just not be your tobacco. You might try a Latakia blend like Nightcap or Durbar. For something savory and heavy and fucking delicious, try Old Dark Fired.

Frog Morton is also a great middle of the road tobacco, it was my favorite starting out and I need to order a new tin.
>>
>>1072285
Go watch some instructional YouTube videos perhaps? Or find a friend that smokes a pipe and have them walk you through it.

Also get something heavy in either latakia or perique
>>
>>1072291
>>1072296
I highly doubt latakia would be any better since it's fire cured and sun cured whereas cigar tobaccos are slowly dark room fermented. I want more of the sweet, full bodied, prune/raisin/honey/jungle leaves richness of a cigar or a chew or a plug or even copenhagen. If you've tasted unfermented/air or sun cured (cigarette, snus, latakia I guess and so on) tobacco and compare that to wet slow fermented (cigars, chew, plug, even cope) you will know what I mean. Again did not expect any pipe tobacco to taste like unfermented cigarette. I've smoked virginia cigars before and I couldn't imagine you could manage to ferment that type of tobacco and still make it smell like it's baked like snus.

Whether it's with more or less 'sting' doesn't really matter in my opinion... Just want more jungle leaves and less cigarette.
>>
>>1072328
>less cigarette
I want something like this too. If I want that flavor, I'll just smoke some cigarettes. Damn. I don't get sir Walter Raleigh.

What's a good starter cigar? I want to get into them. Also would like to gift them to someone.
>>
>>1072340
Romeo y Julieta (the flagship ones like no.2) is good in the well balanced reasonably priced class. My father is another very balanced one for beginners. And of course standard montecristo and cohiba (prefer monte). But just like with beer rating you'll find these are called 'fairly ok' with the strong and less rounded stuff being more appreciated just like how beer raters consistently rate extremely strong craft beers and IPAs higher than the best balanced APAs cause after a while you kind of get used to it.

Of course the drawback to cigars is they're more sensitive to moisture, they are extremely expensive due to their intended use, and the intended use is the last drawback: You can't re-light a cigar, it will taste like garbage and sour tar, and you should probably ditch it half way through anyway (which takes up to an hour of constant smoking to get to) because it starts tasting more and more tar over time. So really 10 euros for ONE cigar that needs to be smoked in ONE, ONE HOUR long sitting? Hence why I hoped pipe tobacco would have a similar excellent taste because you could load just a little pinch of tobacco in a pipe and enjoy a short smoke without ruining the rest of the can.

So far? Nope. Just tastes like cigarettes in a less practical format. If that's the case I'll just stick to healthier snus.
>>
>>1072354
Pipe tobacco comes in so many different tastes and flavours, you've just got to find the stuff that you like. No, pipe tobacco does not all taste like cigarettes, that's just the taste of that particular tobacco you smoked and not something that all pipe tobacco shares. I have never smoked anything that tasted like cigarettes.

Some pipe tobacco tastes like ass, as do some cigars, beers etc. Please don't disregard all pipe tobacco because you tried some and didn't like it.
>>
>>1065672

Just get another one if you're just going to be smoking a cobb. Cobbs are disposable pipes. They're not meant to last like briar
>>
Today we have Steel & Oak's Royal City Ale with an aromatic by my local shop and my Medico churchwarden that I found in my grandparents attic
>>
File: IMG_7744.jpg (83KB, 441x437px)
IMG_7744.jpg
83KB, 441x437px
>>1072470
>cobs are disposable
They don't have to be, especially if you spend $4 extra and get a decent one.
Then they can last for many decades and just keep getting better.

>pic related, a $10 cob with 1,400 bowls put through it
>>
>>1072340
SWR tastes like cigarettes to me too. That's why I don't like it. I like Carter Hall much better for a budget unflavored tobacco blend that tastes pretty good.

>>1072354
Capstan Gold is the milder of the two Capstan blends, and the reviews seem to say the same thing as you are saying-smells like grass and hay, flavor is mild and can be on the one-dimensional side.

Rest assured, not all pipe tobaccos are that way. You just happened to find one of them first time out.
>>
>>1072525
that pic is aesthetic as fuck
>>
Is this where the 4chan hipsters congregate?
>>
>>1073501
the handlebar mustache is growing quite nicely thank you
>>
>>1073501
>>1073521
My facial hair comes in all patchy and my folks didn't save my grandad's fedora.
If I grew it out, I'd look like a homeless redneck vampire from the 1950s.
>>
>>1073501
>>>/fa/
>>
>>1073501
I'm a hippy man get it right bro.
>>
>>1067602
Gorgeous pipe anon
>>
File: IMG_7382.jpg (4MB, 3456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7382.jpg
4MB, 3456x2592px
Shared a drink with my old pipes last night.
>>
File: 21-DCLPPOCL._SY400_.jpg (7KB, 500x112px) Image search: [Google]
21-DCLPPOCL._SY400_.jpg
7KB, 500x112px
What's the feel on these types of pipes? I've always enjoyed the look and feel of these pipes. I noticed most people here have short stems.
>>
>>1073846
Follow-up question as well. Where do y'all buy your pipes and what do you general look for and or rule of thumb for pipe buying?
>>
>>1073846
Those are called churchwardens. The name comes from lore, which is that the Catholic church in ye olden days (before cops) would post armed guards at the churches overnight. In order to keep the smoke out of their eyes and preserve their night vision, they went with long stems that kept the whole thing away from their face.

They smoke very gently and coolly, generally taste good even with mediocre tobacco as a result, and look badass.

The reason most of us have short pipes is because churchwardens are fairly fragile and very bulky. Pretty easy to break the stem when /out/ on such a large pipe and there's no good way to pack it.

>>1073854
smokingpipes.com, local smoke shops, gas stations, one pipe convention I went to, ebay, amazon, and anywhere else that might sell a pipe.

I look for
>does it feel good in my hand?
>does it have any visible defects or blemishes I can't live with or would hurt functionality?
>does it look good to me?
>can I afford it?
I have basically every type of pipe there is: cob, hardwood, briar, meerschaum, gourd, and soapstone. I've paid everything from "I carved it myself in my free time" to $250. None of them are categorically bad, they each have their strong points and their weak points.
>>
File: IMG_20170729_090412.jpg (2MB, 5344x2127px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170729_090412.jpg
2MB, 5344x2127px
>>1073846
I have two: a cobbit wizard and an old Medico. They have a nice cool smoke as the smoke has to travel up to stem, cooling it down. I love them personally and often use them for aromatics.
The story I always heard was that weren't allowed to smoke in the abbey, so they'd use a super long stem and they'd technically be smoking outside
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Any of y'all /out/ right now? I'm camped at some reservoir near the northern CA/NV border, smoking some dry as fuck OGS in a well worn cob. Fuck this dryness though, I'm normally in TX with 90%+ humidity and can just leave tins open indefinitely.

Also got a Prince Albert piercing a few hours ago lol #yolo.
>>
File: IMG_0196.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0196.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
Yay nature! Pardon my filthy fucking fingers been camping for the past week lol.
>>
>>1073866
>>1073886
Appreciate the knowledge guys. Thanks for the help.
>>
File: 67b.jpg (71KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
67b.jpg
71KB, 600x450px
>>1073906
>Also got a Prince Albert piercing a few hours ago lol #yolo.
>>
>>1073906
>got his dick pierced
>went camping immediately
Hope you brought a shitton of baby wipes and neosporin or your dick's gonna rot off.
>>
File: 20170804_202903.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170804_202903.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Had an MRE because I was literally that lazy today. (Menu 12. Mac and tomato sauce)

Listening to the last podcast on the left and enjoying a beer.

Gonna light up my second to last bowl of OGS and call it a night
>>
>>1072354
You do know you can cut or crush a cigar and put it in your pipe bowl?
>>
File: IMG_0773.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px)
IMG_0773.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Baby's first homemade pipe.

Made of pine (not ideal, I know) in one night. Ugly as fuck but functional.

Gonna keep working on it so that the stem doesn't look ass ugly.

Also interested in making a churchwarden bit, but I have no idea how.
>>
>>1065450
Any tips on making a pipe? Is it simply a bowl with a tube coming out of it, or is there more to it than that? Seems like it could be a fun and usable project.

>Not a pipefag and can't go out for a while, so this is the closest I can get
>>
>>1074474
>Is it simply a bowl with a tube coming out of it, or is there more to it than that?
No, that's pretty much it.
>>
>>1074483
Sweet, thanks anon. One more question though. Do I need to wax or treat the insides of the breathing tube or bowl? Or can I just make them out of a denser wood that won't catch on fire?

>Excuse lack of terminology
>>
>>1074490
Neither. You smoke it less aggressively (slower and looser packed) until a cake builds up that will take the heat instead of the bowl.
>>
>>1074490
No wax or vanish on the inside.
It'll catch fire and be bad times when you're smoking.
As the other anon said, the pipe smoker will build a layer of ash (we call it "cake") on the inside of the bowl that will protect it to a reasonable degree.
>>
File: 20170804_223730.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px)
20170804_223730.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
My Virginia adventures continue. I had a navy roll yesterday and another nowl of flake today after all my work was done. The Flake is starting to come through more...sweet and mellow to start, then rich and deep finish that im still picking apart starting right before halfway point.

The navy cut was much the same but started spicier...the perique? We will see with further smokes. Either way i have a way harder time keeping these lit. Definitely want them to dry a bit. I am giving both a fairly complete rub but there are still chunky strands present.

I really want to stock up on some of these...i can tell they have a lot to offer.
>>
>>1074483
>>1074490
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to start work on a crappy first try in a few hours; should be interesting to try.
>>
>>1074183
cant tell if that´s depressing or inspiring
>>
>>1074548
Had one tin of navy rolls and really liked them. A similar blend in loose form would be Elizabethan.
>>
File: IMG_0798.jpg (279KB, 1080x1920px)
IMG_0798.jpg
279KB, 1080x1920px
>>1074435
Update: made a churchwarden stem.

Works pretty well. Last stem clogged up though. Wonder if this one will too.

Spent a night on it, surprisingly easy.
>>
>>1075020
What was the size of your draw hole?

Generally most commercial pipes have a draw hole of 1/8" (3.5mm) or so. This strikes a nice balance between being open enough to smoke well and clean easily, but not so open that you suck up ashes into your mouth every time you draw on a nearly empty bowl.

Other than that, it looks really good.
>>
>>1075027
Looking for a VERY cool smoking pipe with minimal tongue bite. As in cold. Cool. It can also be cool that way but yeah. Should I go long churchwarden with filter?
>>
>>1075402
Didn't mean to reply**
>>
>>1066072
>being a smoke inhaling pleb
have fun with your COPD.
>>
>>1075402
Look at the MM cob churchwarden. Unfiltered but cobs smoke cooler and dryer than any other material.
>>
File: 20170806_214546.jpg (1010KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170806_214546.jpg
1010KB, 2560x1440px
>>1075402
Corn cob or meerschaum would be your best bet. But as far as I know the best way to combat tongue bite is improving technique
>>
>>1075020
The first stem was maybe 1m. Also it was susceptible to clogging because of the method of construction -- drilling holes in both ends.

This one is different. Made a channel through halves with a table saw and ten glued them together. Hole size is about 2x4mm. Using a weed eating line to keep it clean, so that's how I know.

Stained it. Hasn't clogged yet. Thinking about cutting channels in both pieces and wrapping vine or twine to keep them together. Would be A E S T H E T I C.
>>
File: IMG_0801.jpg (2MB, 2893x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0801.jpg
2MB, 2893x4032px
>>1075502
Forgot image.
>>
>>1075503
lovely!
>>
The pipe is the new fedora. You fucking hipster faggots.
>>
>>1075525
no
>>
>>1075525
cigarettes are the ultimate fedora
>LOOK AT ME! I'm so cool, I DON'T CARE about cancer!
>>
okay, i think ive narrowed down what bit like the most, i am a clencher i like having the pipe in my mouth all the time, a nice light weight pipe. and as the bit gets towards my mouth very straight and flat, like in OPs pic, my meerschaum is very difficult for me to keep clenched because the bit is very oval, even after tapering to the end.

what is the kind of bit seen in the OP or a bit that would fit this called?

this may seem like a drunken ramble and thats because it is, but are there any specific characteristics i could search for to get this?
>>
I have sacrificed 2 of my cobs to my jeep this weekend. My Country Gentleman slid off my dash when I turned a corner yesterday, bouncing under a tire and getting crushed.
I came out of band practice a few minutes ago to find one of my Great Danes full of water due to an unexpected rain shower.
Damn this jeep.
>>
>>1075525
>pipe
>fedora
Pick one
As long as vaping exists, pipes are not fedora.
>>
>>1075546
Just set the Great Dane out in the sun to dry. After a day it should be as good as new.
Cobs are amazingly resilient to getting soaked in water.
>>
File: Parts3.gif (44KB, 504x648px) Image search: [Google]
Parts3.gif
44KB, 504x648px
>>1075538
A saddle stem? You could try and look for one with a p-lip bit too, since with that one you can stick the bottom protrusion on the outside of your lower teeth and let them help hold it instead of just clenching.
>>
>>1075599
Pipes are to vaping
as
Trench coats are to fedoras
>>
>>1075525
>comparing a hobby often practiced in solitude being discussed in an obscure corner of a Himalayan abstract cave art board to an accessory worn by virtue signalling leftist faggots everywhere

Go vape somewhere else, vapers don't belong here
>>
>>1075631
Incorrect. Trench coats go with fedoras, while pipes and vapes are entirely different nicotine delivery devices.
>>
File: 68416516516516161.jpg (556KB, 619x900px) Image search: [Google]
68416516516516161.jpg
556KB, 619x900px
>thread summed up in one image.
>>
>>1075602
It's already dry, huh. Now if i can just find me a replacement for my Country Gentleman, that was the only one I had and p&c has been out of them for forever
>>
>>1075657
>look at me! I posted a picture!
>Aren't I clever?
Yes you are, and we're all very proud of you.
Thanks for bumping the thread.
>>
>>1075678
They're still around.
I've seen them at my local B&M, and both Amazon and Aristocob still have them online.
If nothing else you can order them direct from MM too. They'll cost a little more (so they don't undercut their own retailers), but if they say they have it, they do.
>>
>>1075628
Ah yes. Thank you!
>>
File: Screenshot_20170807-001058.png (155KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170807-001058.png
155KB, 768x1024px
Rate todays order? Thoughts on the blends?

Im getting an idea now of what I like so Im trying different blends in those realms, and kinda trying the va/per world. But my major goal is to stock up on a few Dunhill varieties before theyre gone, and then to build a stock of tobaccos in general because, lets face it, the FDA isnt getting friendlier. Plus we really are a marginal hobby, even with the recent gains in popularity with college kids.

Do any types of blends not age well? What do you store, if anything?
>>
>>1075892
Why do you care so much?

>>1075524
Thank you! I ended up wrapping some twine around the piece in an x-pattern. Calling it done.

Has anyone else here made a pipe? I know one anon did, from some fruitwood or something similar. Pear?

I want to get into it in earnest. During my Mary Jane days I made a couple that were barely functional, and I'd like to continue to improve. Anyone with any knowledge of where to go or how to go about it would be appreciated.
>>
Sort of new to pipe smoking, seasoned cigar smoker. Always looking to expand my tobacco collection and knowledge of pipes. Its much more convenient than having a 1 hour cigar sesh. Pipe on top is my grandfathers Dr. Grabow he smoked in his police years ('50s-'60s). Bottom pipe is my first pipe I bought, a La Pipa.

Any suggestions on tobacco to look in to? Just ordered some Mac Barren Old Dark Fired and Vanilla. Currently stocked on some Borkum Riff Bourbon blend
> a nice, sweet smoke with a unique mellow draw at first and notes of sweet aged bourbon after the first couple of puffs following a acidic, tart however enjoyable aftertaste

Next in the collection is some Prince Alberts Cherry Vanilla which I've yet to try.
> inb4muhgasstationtobaccos
I was too eager to order some online after I picked up my pipe. Any suggestions on tobaccos to try? I enjoy Habano and double Maduro cigars which may suggest darker tobaccos but also love a good Connecticut.

Tl;dr Any tobacco suggestions? I love all spectrums of tobacco.
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 2032x3334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 2032x3334px
>>1075990
>>
>>1075825
Aromatics don't age well. The flavors fade out into nothingness, leaving you with just to tobaccos that have been processed to remove all of their distinctive flavors.
>>
>>1075990
You might like some of the "English"-style tobacco blends. They don't taste like cigars, but they use the bitterness of certain kinds of tobaccos to make for a very rich, satisfying experience in their own right.
There are three broad categories I'll recommend:
>1. Latakia blends
These use woodsmoke-cured tobaccos from the Middle East in varying quantities. Samuel Gawith's Squadron Leader as well as Dunhill's 965 and Nightcap blends are famous examples of this.
>Va/Per blends
Unfortunately named for their combining of regular Virginia tobaccos with barrel-cured Perique. Famous examples include Escudo, Dunhill's Elizabethan and Navy Rolls, Frog Morton on the Bayou, and Warhorse.
>3-Virginia/Kentucky blends
Dark-fired Kentucky is an aromatic burley that is smoke cured and used to add body to a blend. Famous examples are Three Nuns and Old Dark Fired.
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 2275x3406px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 2275x3406px
>>1076039
Nightcap was next on my To-Buy list after reading the rest of this thread. I guess I'm in the "I want all and every tobacco to try" phase until I find one I will smoke regularly. Thanks for your input, I'll definitely look in to the English style tobaccos
>>
File: image.jpg (637KB, 862x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
637KB, 862x1024px
Have a bump
>>
File: IMG_8220.jpg (685KB, 1814x1523px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8220.jpg
685KB, 1814x1523px
Pipe of the Night
Pre-WWI-era army mount pipe filled with Dunhill Elizabethan.
The pipe itself is unremarkable-just a generic unnamed bulldog bowl mated to an army stem-were it not for the carvings on it.
Only very rarely do you find someone else's /out/ pipe, and yet here is one. Hand carved all around the bowl are the words "CAMP NEPTUNE LAKE CHAMPLAIN 1902 03 04 09 10"
Yes, I somehow managed to find someone else's /out/ pipe, sold by someone's great-grandkid. And it is small, but it smokes fantastic.
I will never let this pipe go until the day I die.
>>
File: IMG_8221.jpg (223KB, 1092x1588px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8221.jpg
223KB, 1092x1588px
>>1076334
The original stem was celluloid and had broke off in my hands a few months back, so I got a new army mount stem blank and cut it down to fit.

Here's a closeup pic of some of the carving.
>>
>>1075657
think he might even be wearing raw denim as well
>>
hi, pipe smokers. can i get a survey of how much people are smoking in ounces? i smoke about a bowl per day, and since i started smoking (about a month ago), i haven't made it through a 1.5 oz pouch of some decent tobaccy. maybe 1oz smoked so far.
>>
Just tried smoking for the first time today. got a MM legend and some Old Toby. It was very mild on the tongue, but smelled amazing.

Had a hard time keeping it lit after going about halfway through, not sure if it was my packing or pacing on taking pulls; but I think I did well for my first time ever. Looking forward to sharing it with some friends on our backpacking trip next week.

Thanks /out/.
>>
>>1076347
Most pipe bowls hold about 1-2 grams of tobacco at a time, so if you smoke 2 bowls per session 5 days a week, a standard 1.5oz (42.5 gram) pouch will last you about a month.
>>
>>1076347
Most pipe bowls hold about 1-2 grams of tobacco at a time, so if you smoke 2 bowls per session 5 days a week, a standard 1.5oz (42.5 gram) pouch will last you about a month.

>>1076353
Try NOT packing your bowl. Just fill it up to the top loosely and then light it.
You should get a pipe that stays lit a lot longer.
>>
>>1076353
Cool. You can get some MM minis to give away if you want.
>>
>>1075657
Congratulations!
>>
Someone talk me out of it
>>
>>1076347
Not much. A standard 1.5oz pouch of half and half lasts me several months.
>>
>>1076237
Nightcap, Frog Morton, and Old Dark Fired were probably my absolute favorite tobaccos when I started last year. If you try all three you'll be seeing a nice wide range of the tobacco spectrum and good grief they're all amazing.
>>
any pipe smokers in australia? what's it like purchasing/finding pipe and pipe accessories?
>>
>>1076510
Ausfag here. I don't smoke a pipe, but a friend of mine is a smoker who recently brought a cheap metal one for $23. I see small tobacco places all over the place, but I haven't really tried 'em. I'm sure you could just go in and ask them what they have in stock.
>>
>>1076429
It's expensive.

Fucking cool though.
>>
>>1076624
Welcome to the board newfriend
>>
>>1076429
Can't. I want one myself.

>>1076624
>oh look, it's this post again
>time for this answer again

Thanks to indoor smoking bans virtually everywhere, pipe smoking is an /out/ activity by default.

That's why we're here.
>>
>>1076674
It's also a complimentary hobby while /out/ doing stuff, like playing an instrument or drawing or taking your trout pole to an alpine lake.

And piss off with the cancer label, aside from the fishing thread and gear generals this is like the most active group of posters on this board probably saving it from the axe. We are also the most chill, friendliest posters. Pipegen is a thread of peace.
>>
File: 20170807_210719.jpg (953KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170807_210719.jpg
953KB, 2560x1440px
Had a lovely fishing trip to Sweden
>>
File: 20170807_184140.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170807_184140.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>1076743
Hot and no wind. Glad I brought the hammock.

Cuddled up in a hammock with a pipe, a beer and lake view . Is there anything better?
>>
File: 20170807_194822.jpg (2MB, 2560x1440px)
20170807_194822.jpg
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>1076745
Saw 2 Eurocopter super pumas and 2 fighter jets too far off to identify. The lake is close to Blekinge air force base so it's fun watching the skies
>>
File: 20170807_161711.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px)
20170807_161711.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>1076756
You seem upset
>>
>>1076674
>Thanks to indoor smoking bans virtually everywhere
perhaps its time to let this archaic filthy habit die instead of glorifying it in the name of supreme hipsterism?
>pipe smoking is an /out/ activity by default.
So is driving, should we make threads about that as well? How about flying?
>>
>>1076763
Did you lose a family member to cancer, mate? Why people get this mad about things they've no connection to, I'll never understand.
>>
>>1076771
Why you don't get that this shit doesn't belong on /out/, I'll never understand "mate".
>>
File: image.jpg (258KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
258KB, 1600x1067px
>>1076802
Did mods deleted your true /out/ "what knife to buy" thread? Go to be cop somewhere else

>>1076745
>in a hammock with a pipe, a beer and lake view
This is my dream, i like your photos
>>
File: 20170807_155409.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170807_155409.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>1076802
>tons of OC /out/ pipe pics in pipegen
Hurr durr I dont like what you do by yourself In the woods! And if you post 1 thread about it on 4chan!
Calm down my man. Being angry is bad for your health
>>1076820
Thanks man!
>>
>>1073839
LOVE the pipe with the lid!
>>
>>1076697
that deer pipe is so nice! very jealous
>>
>>1076832
Hvilken so er det? Ser nice ud.
>>
>>1076841
Ha so! Soe whatever
>>
>>1076841
Listersjöarna
been going there for almost 2 decades now
>>
>>1076848
listersjoen
for a more Anglo-centrist friendly name
>>
>>1076848
>>1076853
Figured it would be in the occupied zone somewhere. Maybe I'll check it out some day.
>>
File: 20140815_191141.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20140815_191141.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
>>1076871
>the occupied zone
what?
>Maybe I'll check it out some day
hope you do, it is a lovely area
>>
>>1076878
Blekinge. Just a friendly stab at the Swedes. Sorry you didn't get it.

Sure looks lovely.
>>
>>1076881
yea, I´m not Swedish, my dad is. if this has something to do with the current political climate i assure you i dont know anything about it. this is a town where the city center it literally a Viggen fighter jet. no joke half my family worked for Saab, literally
>>
>>1076802
Yes it does, because we're still doing stuff outdoors.
We're just doing it and smoking a pipe too.
>>
>>1076429
Me again, so any tips for owning a meerschaum pipe? I'm very new to smoking and only have my little 4 dollar corncob I bought from the smoke shop.

Also considering this instead of eagle claw but can't decide
>>
>>1077040
Keep them clean. Meerschaums aren't briars. They don't need cake in the bowl, and in fact cake stops the Meerschaum from naturally absorbing moisture. It can cause those pipes to gurgle or even crack if you ignore them long enough.
Just dip a paper towel in alcohol and rub down the inside of the bowl after you're done smoking and it's cooled.
>>
>>1076840
Thanks Mads. I had a few weeks where I had this undying NEED for a tyrolean pipe and the Swiss BBK pipes really jumped out at me.

I got lucky and found a couple of auctions, I have that one and one with an edelweiss. Bout ~$60 for both counting shipping on two separate orders. One is missing a stem but I found a guy who will fit a similar one and may also have a cap to fit it but it will still be cool without the cap.

Planning on doing the rest of the restoration myself but want to practice on less rare pipes first. I will be sure to share my project once I start...
>>
>>1077095
Ugh I'm exhausted. They both have edelweiss on them. They're basically the same except bowl shape. Off to bed with me.
>>
>>1077040
i would advice buying an estate meerschaum that you are less attached to until you are comfortable with it maybe?
>>
File: image.jpg (5MB, 2185x4032px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5MB, 2185x4032px
This just in. What should I try first?
>>
>>1077361
old dark fired, and post what its like
>>
Noob pipe smoker here, gonna have 5 whole days off come the Eclipse, can anyone name 3 must try tobaccos? I found Captain Black to be kinda harsh and tasteless
>>
>>1077466
For me it's Frog Morton's Cellar, Orlik Golden Sliced, and Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture.
>>
File: IMG_7157.jpg (799KB, 2705x856px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7157.jpg
799KB, 2705x856px
>>1073854
I've found things locally in junk shops and bought new pipes from B&M shops too, but the vast majority of my stuff comes from eBay.
What I look for is:
>no major damage.
Normal wear is ok-I smoke my pipes after all-but split bowls, cracked stems and broken mouthpieces render a pipe unisable, and are a no-go.

>Price vs condition.
Until you get into the super-prestigious names (Dunhill, Peterson, Comoy, Sasieni, signed meerschaums, etc), used pipes are a buyer's market. You can get any number of great smoking pipes for well under $10 each, and you can afford to be picky. If you buy multi-piece lots or a pipe rack wth them the price can go even lower (or even free). For just regular-tier stuff, I want to see no deal breakers listed above, but also no major repairs done (that I can tell), no major tooth marks on the mouthpiece, no missing finish on the bowl, and preferably a brand name on the pipe, even if it's not very prestigious. No-name pipes can be great, but they're seconds-why should I spend money on seconds when I can buy first-quality pipes for the same money or even less?

>novelty
I've gotten to the point where I've got enough regular pipe shapes to satisfy me, but I'll still look twice at something that looks different, is made of something exotic or is some rare variation of something, like pic related-an aluminum bodied pipe with a corncob bowl.

>>1077127
So much this.
Meerschaums can be gotten for cheap on eBay if you'll look. I haven't paid over $20 all in for a Meerschaum pipe yet, including some carved ones that were shipped across oceans to me. Most of them have been $10 or less, and the one I take out fishing I got with another pipe for $5. So they're out there and can be gotten for small cash, especially if you're willing to clean them up a little.

>>1077466
Dunhill 965 (quintessential English Blend)
Cult Blood Red Moon (excellent Cherry aromatic)
Half and Half (my favorite widely available American blend)
>>
File: 20170809_203000[1].jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170809_203000[1].jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Picked this one up at a thrift store, hand carved I think, but unused.

No /out/ pics with pipe unfortunately. Haven't really been in a while because of work and don't have a good camera to take pics when I do.

I haven't used it in a while, but I usually just empty 2 of my cigarettes into the pipe and just go at it. Nothing beats the taste of American Spirits.
>>
>>1077679
Didn't realize how shit the pic was..... It's a lot thinner IRL and about a foot long
>>
File: 20170809_224615.jpg (3MB, 3024x3115px) Image search: [Google]
20170809_224615.jpg
3MB, 3024x3115px
Tonight's smoke is some My Mixture 965 in my Savinelli Polo.
>>
>>1077361
OLD DARK FIRED NIGGA

That is patrician tier tobacco just don't smoke it too hard
>>
Decided to buy a cheap rollagas style lighter after getting tired of my Zippo fluid evaporating, wasting too many matches thanks to the wind, and burning my thumb with a bic I found. It'll probably need new o-rings, but I'll show it off when it comes in the mail.

>>1077679
They sell pouches of American spirit tobacco.
>>
>>1077361
Can't go wrong with either, but I vote for Old Dark Fired.
>>
File: IMG_20170810_171242.jpg (1MB, 3120x4208px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170810_171242.jpg
1MB, 3120x4208px
Acquired new pipe yesterday. An estate dublin, Peterson pre-republic, for 50€. Very light and more comfortable to mouth and smaller bowl than the other two heavy billiards I own.
I need to learn how to smoke it properly, as it's keen to overheating quickly, so I'm letting it go out very frequently, and when I rekindle it I can draw maybe 3-4 puffs before it's a bit too hot.

I've switched to Trinciato Italia from Black Ambrosia. Less nauseating but still too strong for my taste, it gets me nicotine dizzy with less than 1 gram.
What do you reckon is best as dry refreshing no-bullshit tobacco, which can be puffed mindlessly, instead of being so fatiguing? I've also had some Pease's Westminster with a friend. found it really good, but only had together with tasty beer, so I don't know if it's what I'm looking for, in the situation where I'm alone and not too willing to get buzzed.
>>
>>1070396
>I liked pipes before they were popular!
Way to prove that you're not a hipster
>>
>>1078024
Kek
>>
>>1077973
Maybe ive smoked too many cigs in the past, but Ive never gotten a nicotine buzz from pipe tobacco, not even Royal Yacht. Are you drawing smoke into your lungs or just smoking too fast maybe? That would explain your pipe overheating as well.

For an all day smoke I would recommend a virginia flake like Orlik Golden Sliced.
Mac Baren makes some good virginia based flakes too. They're not gonna blow you away with either nicotine amount or taste.
>>
>>1078077
I'm not really smoking very fast, it takes me about 1.15h to empty a bowl in the billiards, and I'm not inhaling either. I've been a cig smoker in the past but have stopped since a long time. Both with cigars and the pipe I feel the nicotine buzz, it's not disorientating, and sometimes it's exactly what I want. But most of the time if I'm dicking around the house, or having a slow stroll, I'd really rather something that doesn't make me feel as jittery
>>
>>1078084
Well then I dont know.
It sounds like youre smoking all day, and if I did that I would probably feel nauseous too. There are times I feel like smoking and then there are times Id rather not smoke. So if you think youre smoking too much, maybe let the pipes rest 3-4 between each smoke.

I guess all you can do is try a bunch of stuff, build a nic tolerance until you find something you like.

Nice pipes by the way, I really like the dublin, size looks perfect. The dublin I own is too heavy to go around with and the stem is too thick to clench comfortably.
>>
Noob here; having problems keeping my pipe lit. What how hard / hot should I try to get it after the first false light?
>>
>>1078106
Light ALL the tobacco. The whole top should glow when you take a puff.
If you're having trouble keeping it lit, the biggest reasons for that happening are you are packing too tightly and/or your tobacco is too wet.
Tobacco that's too wet can be dried out by letting it sit it for an hour or so. Packing too tight can only be fixed by unpacking the pipe and then refilling it more loosely.
>>
>>1078117
It could also be not tight enough, and it's really unlikely that a tobacco a newbie is smoking (likely some industrial mixture) would be too wet for consumption
>>
>>1078117
Thanks! It's not glowing; but it does char. Perhaps it is too wet.

I ordered some and it came in a plastic ziplock bag- how should I store it? Mason jars? Emptied and cleaned altoid tins? What's the best way to take it /out/?
>>
>>1078121
Most pipe noobs start on pouch aromatics (Captain Blacck, Half and Half, Prince Albert, etc). And yes, they're almost always too wet to light well and stay lit when they're fresh.
>tfw bought a fresh pouch of Captain Black Royal, couldn't keep it lit, so squeezed a small ball of it and literally had juice running out of my hand
It's that wet.
>>
>>1078138
>how to store
Anything you can get an airtight seal on. Mason jars work okay, the old earthenware jars with the clamp lids work slightly better.
>how to go /out/ with it
Tobacco pouch. Yes, it will go stale in a couple days, there's a reason they only hold like 10 bowls' worth. Usually leather, fits in even the smallest of pockets comfortably, fairly sweat proof (nothing worse than having wet tobacco that tastes like ballsweat).
>>
>>1078121
Just playing the odds, anon.
If it's not tight enough the problems usually come later-about the time it's time to tamp. They also solve themselves the instant you tap the side of the bowl or the tamper hits the ash column.
The reason I keep telling new people to pack lighter is because A) most new smokers tend to cram as much tobacco as they can possibly fit into their bowl, and B) the problems they run into when packing too lightly are much easier to correct. You can always tamp more firmly on the back end; unpacking a bowl that's too tight is a lot harder and messier.

Besides, which is more encouraging for a newbie to have?
>1
A satisfying bowl that lasts 25-30 minutes with no major issues, but he may have to tamp a little more, OR
>2
60 minutes of fighting your pipe, relighting every two minutes and having a burned out tongue from trying like hell to keep the tobacco going and failing?

I get where you're coming from, but if they're going to make a mistake (and they will-we all do), I'd rather have them make one that's easy to fix.
Having a pipe that went out because you enjoyed it so much you lost track of time and smoked it all without realizing it isn't a bad thing. They can always put more tobacco in or pack a little firmer later on, but I want them to have at least one bowl where things go pretty well, even if it's a shorter smoke.

Also in America at least, aromatics are by far the best-selling pipe tobaccos. And the most widely available aromatic blends here (most newbies go for aromatics-I did too) are loaded with sugar or propylene glycol. They are some of the most temperamental things in the pipe universe to pack and smoke, and notorious for not drying out very well. A very loose fill with these helps tame the tongue bite and moisture problems they are famous for.
>>
>>1078138
Here's how you tell if it's too wet or not:
Take a pinch of tobacco iand squeeze it between your finger. If it feels damp at all it's too wet; If it crumbles, it's too dry; If it's not wet but springs back, it's about right.

Depending on how much you smoke you can just keep it in the bag and it will slowly dry out as you open it to fill your pipe. For plastic bags you can just buy a cheap humidifier pack, charge it in distilled water and drop it in the bag. For longer-term storage and aging (sterilized) Mason jars work best.

For /out/ings, I put my tobacco in a standard quart size ziplock bag with maybe a humidifier pack in there. Not stylish, but it's light, compact, no off-odors, available everywhere and costs pennies.
>>
>playing billiards, drinking beer
>pipe in pocket
>can't smoke inside

I like /out/ but this just makes me sad.
>>
File: IMG_0521.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0521.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Ramapo Mountain NJ with my cob and some Paladin Black Cherry
>>
File: 20170811_125750.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170811_125750.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
My buddy who had his granpas Stanwell restored at the Danish pipe shop just Got it back and ord geoegous. Opened jo the nightcap and i al deeply in love with it

Pic is the Stanwell and my not so well kept falcon in the back
>>
I mainly smoke Richmond Navy Cut out of my small Capitello Beta (at least that's what I think it's called). Should I get a more serious pipe? Is there really a difference between a 30$ and a lets say 100$ pipe?
>>
>>1078730
I would say it depends more on shape and material then price. Although with higher end you get better craftmanship
>>
>>1078745
Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll stick to the cheaper ones then. I would be hard pressed if anything happened to a pipe that expensive while the smoke experience is similar.
>>
I'm ready to buy a few tins. Where does /out/ buy their tobacco?
>>
>>1077750
I know they sell them, but I don't smoke my pipe enough for it to be worth it.
>>
File: 1497040288294.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
1497040288294.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1078752
i would also suggest looking into estate pipes, either refurbished or in good condition. >>1078760
the danish pipe shop
>>
>>1078712
Beautiful pipe, what did the restoration cost?
>>
>>1078787
I mean online
>>
>>1078801
100DKK so 16-ish dollars.
>>
File: IMG_2359.png (589KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2359.png
589KB, 750x1334px
First time buying, how did I do?
>>
i'm just a dumb man asking dumb questions, but is Frog Morton's cellar really going away in 2018? i heard rumors but i cant get a solid answer. i'm planning to get some for my first smoke but i dunno if i should grab a few cans while i'm at it to stock up
>>
>>1078730
As far as smoking them goes, the $30 pipe should smoke just as easily as the $100 pipe, provided they're from the same maker.
The big factories use the same sized drill bits on all of their pipes, even the ones they can't sell under their famous name brand. So if you get a $39 factory second that's made by Savinelli for instance, it should smoke just as well as another Savinelli that costs more. It just won't have the name because of some flaw in the finishing or the wood.
It's why a lot of us go for "basket pipes"-seconds from a big factory that have no brand name on them and are sold cheap, often from a basket on the counter of the pipe shop.

>>1078898
Looks very good. Those are a all good examples of different styles to enjoy.
The hard part will be putting one down to try another.
>>
>>1078932
Might.
It has nothing to do with sales, and everything to do with Government regulations.
Here's a link that explains it better than I can.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/tobacco-policies-legislation/new-fda-regulations-how-do-they-impact-the-pipe-world/
>>
NEW THREAD UP

>>1079015
>>1079015
>>1079015
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 85

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.