[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are you ready for squirrel season /out/? Squirrel hunting for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 23

File: 220px-Squirrel_Eating_a_peanut.jpg (9KB, 220x178px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Squirrel_Eating_a_peanut.jpg
9KB, 220x178px
Are you ready for squirrel season /out/?

Squirrel hunting for those who don't know, is all about being out, walking where no one else is, stoping to observe and sense your surroundings. You will see more interesting things hunting bushy tails, then you ever will hiking established trails.

What's your plan for this season? Are you hunting new grounds, or old family land? Bringing dogs, or still hunting?

What gear will you pack? Using a fine tuned .22, a rusty 410, or something of like a slingshot?
>>
File: IMG_5195.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5195.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>or something of like a slingshot?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (520KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
520KB, 2000x1333px
>>1065294
>squirrel season

Moar liek "warble season" amirite?
>>
>>1065300
Just wait two frosts before your first hunt anon
>>
I'll be using my marlin 60 for most of the season, and a single shot 410 for when the leafs are top thick. I'm planning a few over night trips where squirrel will be my primary protein.
>>
How many other boards is this thread on.

>>>/k/34578858
>>
>>1065305
That'd be nice, but the winters are so wonky now that it doesn't even snow until January. It used to snow at the beginning for October.
>>
>>1065294
I use my grandpa's ancient .22 with iron sights. It's a good time
>>
File: IMG.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
Debating between my savage mk 2 or my 10/22 this year. Might even take out the .17hmr to the mountains of western MD to try and get me a fucking fox squirrel.
>>
Gonna be going for deer and doves too but squirrel hunting is the most fun IMO. If I could acquire venison without having to hunt it myself I'd hunt squirrel all season.
>>
File: IMG.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
Boom head shot
>>
File: IMG.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
Best day last season. In by 7am and limited out by 10:30. There's just something about walking the woods with a nice single shot 20ga.
>>
File: IMG.jpg (1MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG.jpg
1MB, 4160x3120px
Even fun in the snow.
>>
Anybody got any tasty squirrel recipes? I made some last year rubbing some Jamaican jerk spice on and baking it. Was delicious.
>>
>>1065294
Would a 20 gauge break action be too extreme for squirrel hunting?
>>
>>1065575
No. Pattern your gun, and hit them in the head/neck with the edge of your pattern.
>>
>>1065294
I'm pretty excited. I'm getting a lil' badger to take on a longhike. I'm hoping I can get some red meat in with my mostly fish diet.
>>
>>1065575
I used a 20 before its not bad. Gonna use a 12 this year since its all I got after selling the 20.
>>
>>1066219
>>1065422 is a 20 Ga.
>>
>>1065295
Aw, Trumark. Good man, that's a solid choice of frame. I prefer flatbands myself, I shoot a Scout pinch grip style, but if I were to use latex tubes the WS1 would be my first choice. A proven design.
>>
File: IMG.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
Not a squack but I got this mug while it raided my garden today.
>>
>>1067522
Careful if you eat it, rabbits get worms in the summer time.
>>
When squirrel hunting how often do you guys dispatch your squirrels? Do you usually manage to kill them right off or do you take to a good head-bashing to kill them off humanely if they don't die right away?
>>
do you guys eat the squirrels? pretty sad if youre just doing it for sport.

not like theyre causing trouble in the woods
>>
>>1066596
>Aw, Trumark
I'm not sure what it is. My neighbor had a garage sale and gave it to me, he said it might be 20 years old or older. I just bought some rubbers for it and am shooting it for fun. And it definitely isn't as easy as it might seem to hit stuff.
>>
>>1065425
the niggerest of squirrels
>>
>>1065410
go savage, bolt action is always more fun
>>
>>1067627
Oh. Well, that there is an old Trumark single piece braced frame; I could tell it was vintage, as the grip was translucent rather than black, like contemporary models. They now market it as the WS1, though I don't think they bothered with model numbers until they came out with their folding brace, brace-less, and stabilized frames and needed to distinguish their original design from them. Crafted from solid aircraft grade aluminum, it's extremely durable. Not surprised yours has been beating around for 20 years, to kill one of those you pretty much have to do it deliberately.
> And it definitely isn't as easy as it might seem to hit stuff.
Yeah, it's a challenge. Have you tried Trumark's tapered tubes? The red ones? The contract faster, which can give a flatter trajectory. Those and twisting the pouch a quarter turn as you draw can make for a big improvement, I hear.
>>
>>1067595
Yes I eat them. They are delicious. Squirrel/rabbit pot pie..mmm
>>
>>1067552
Worms in the meat or in the guts? I gutted it and didn't see any worms.
>>
>>1067875
I'd assume in the guts. It's something my dad, and his dad was always told. Here's an article I found about it. http://www.unluckyhunter.com/2011/07/myth-or-fact-are-summer-rabbits-safe-to.html
>>
>>1067595
Leave the thread peta
>>
File: bsmrelief.jpg (53KB, 601x399px) Image search: [Google]
bsmrelief.jpg
53KB, 601x399px
>>1065410
Stay outta muh woods flatlander. I'll scalp ya n bury ya in a holler so deep an dark wont find yir bleached bones fir a coons age.
>>
>>1068295
You best hope I dont mistake your ass for a squigger when you're rustling out there in them woods boy.
>>
>>1068319
Jist stay outta Garrett n erythingll be copacetic.
>>
>>1065410
Savage mkII FTW. That thing can shoot the eye out of a squirrel. I've never missed the head on any shot I've taken with my trusty MkII.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1065574
Love this one from one of Steven Rinella's books. I've made it with squirrel and rabbit and it is tasty af .
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1068528
2/2
>>
No intention of cooking them but ill shoot em written my AR every time i go to my family property.
>>
>>1067837
>Have you tried Trumark's tapered tubes? The red ones? The contract faster, which can give a flatter trajectory. Those and twisting the pouch a quarter turn as you draw can make for a big improvement, I hear.

The rubbers I just got from a dept store, I think they are Daisy. I might go on Amazon and try those. Also going to try the 1/4 turn and see what happened. Ptarmigan season is opening on Aug 1st and I want to see if I can get one with this.
>>
>>1068710
Lol I love when people post in a board with the sole purpose of communicating to everyone that they're a total piece of shit. Eat what you kill or don't kill it you inbred mongoloid.
>>
>>1068830
So you encourage them by giving away (you)s? This board is slow enough still that if you just ignore idiots they'll fuck off and never come back. We've got a pretty comfy board here, be a little more careful when you post.
>>
>>1068841
Oh please. I've been coming here for a while now and there always was and always will be assholes shitposting. Besides, you could argue that calling out assholes and making them feel unwelcome is just as effective if not more effective than ignoring them.

Please don't insinuate that I'm not part of this community when I've been posting here on and off for 5 years.
>>
>>1065294
anyone in the charlotte area want to go squirrel hunting? i've never skinned a tree rat before but i'm down
>>
>>1068844
He did it again!
>>
>>1068868
Doesn't your season start late as shit like the first of Oct. or some shit?
>>
Who here has a summer season?
>>
>>1069143
I wish. Squirrel hunting would pair nicely with thru hiking. Oh well, the trails are empty in the fall anyways.
>>
>>1067595
>not like theyre causing trouble in the woods
Grey squirrels are a great example of a native invasive species in my area. Their population is far higher than natural, because many of their predators have been eliminated, and because they house themselves in manmade structures and feed on compost and garbage. Just like deer hunting in upstate New York or any other area where natural predators have been removed, it actually helps keep the ecosystem from getting too far out of whack if the population boom is checked by hunting.

Plus, squirrels are vectors for disease and spread disease even more effectively when they are overpopulated. They're also major supporters of the tick lifecycle.
>>
>>1068830
They're a pest to the vineyard and garden. I shoot them because it's a service to property and provides food for the buzzards. You eat squirrels so who's the real inbred mongoloid?
>>
>>1069341
And just to specify i shoot ground squirrels.
>>
>>1069343
Ground squirrels are not normally eaten so it makes sense you dont eat them. Tree squirrels are delicious and fuck you for implying anything less.
>>
File: 20170310_143127.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170310_143127.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
I will be hunting in local public land with a marlin 60, a single shot 410, and my grandfather's, sears brand Winchester 1200. I'll primarily still hunt while looking for deer signs, and and places to build blinds as deer season is two months after small game season here. I want to build three blinds, so I can hunt any wind. Also because this is public land, I will be looking for deer trails deep in thick brush. I want to find the areas Joe Fud won't haul a 12 pack too, but also routes the deer will travel when they start hearing shots opening morning.

I'm going to fry a lot of squirrel this season, but I also want to try my hands at camp fire cooking them. I'd also like to save a hyde or two this season. I'll probably stick a tail on my cars antenna, and use one as a cat toy.
>>
>>1070010
Judging by how tough they are you should try for a young one over the camp fire.
>>
>>1065294
>big powerful white man hunting a tiny rodent with a gun
top kek americans are amazing
>>
>>1070616
how would you do it?
>>
>>1070696
why the fuck would I kill squirrels? leave them be
>>
>>1070698
Because they taste good pussy
>>
>>1067875
Squirrels can get several different kinds of gut worms, as well as heartworms.

They also tend to be thoroughly infested with lice and ticks until the first frost, which are nasty but don't really pose a health risk unless you go full retard with your game prep and get them embedded in the meat.
>>
>>1069143
MO here. Squirrel season is open from late May to mid February, meaning it's only closed about 3.5 months.
>>
>>1065410
what kind of scope are you using on it? might be more of a /k/ question I guess...
>>
A few months ago I went squirrel hunting in a local park (with pellet gun). Way too many people around, and I am pretty sure it's illegal.
Anywhere in South FL that I can go hunting for them?
They taste incredible.
>>
>>1070771
Cheapo CVLife brand off amazon. Excellent rimfire IMO. I think it was around 40 bucks.
>>
>>1070810
Get your hunting license and checkout your local WMAs >>1070810
>>
Anyone rec a good small game pack/vest with a nice carrying pouch in the back?
>>
File: large_157_red_vest[1].jpg (22KB, 410x480px) Image search: [Google]
large_157_red_vest[1].jpg
22KB, 410x480px
>>1071945
I use my old forest survey vest, although it isn't hunter orange so I wear an orange vest over that too.

It's amazing - tons of pockets for compass, tools, knives, etc. Plus a big zipper pocket on your back with a big pouch over it. They are really well-designed for carrying things in the bush and you can balance them nicely.

I've worn mine for so many years that I can grab anything quickly without searching around. And mine is full of things: lighter, matches in waterproof container, knives, saw, emergency blanket, hand warmers, GPS, compass, rain gear, bags, food, water, extra socks, wool hat, etc.
>>
That's a really good idea. Only squirrel hunted a couple times in my life but planning on going a bunch when it opens this year. How'd you like the forest surveying
>>
Anybody have some good recipes? Heard they're good in a crock pot/slow cooker but I've only cooked the tasty fuckers on a fire
>>
>>1070733
Anyone know how exactly they decide when to open/close seasons? I imagine it would be hard to control population this way, obviously much easier to have tags/season limits. I'm sure they've got it at least somewhat figured out.
>>
>>1071981
Check your DNR they probably have a management strategy document somewhere. Since small game harvest are not reported my guess is they are just doing random samples. That or they just dont give a shit because in most places small game hunting is extremely low pressure. Even less so for squirrel, at least where I am anyway.
>>
>>1071945
Every squirrel I shot including in the dead of winter at or below freezing even have always had tiny little bugs on them. Like tiny pin head sized. I would never carry these fucking rodents anywhere on my body. I just carry a fabric bag big enough to hold about 6 of them and tie it with some paracord. Helps keep the flies off them when its hot in the early season.
>>
>>1071954
I like to do my squirrel skin on. Even if you dont want to eat the skin, leaving it on helps keep the meat moist. Especially for any non stew type dish. I dunk the squirrel in boiling water for like 10 seconds and then scrape the fur off with a knife. If it gets tough I just dunk it for a few seconds and continue until all the hair is off.
>>
>>1072011 cont.
Once the skin is off I gut it, and get rid of the head and tail. Then before I cook it I will hit the skin with a blow torch. This gives it a good roast meat flavor. Dont over do it or you'll end up cooking the whole thing on a younger squirrel. I just want a nice crisp on the skin. Then afterwards I chop it up and throw it in a ziploc with some Jamaican jerk seasoning. Add a little orange juice since the seasoning is a little high in salt. Bake that shit the next day. Best fucking squirrel roast.
>>
>>1072013
*once the hair is off* I gut it.
>>
>>1072011
Here are some pics of what it'd look like http://imgur.com/a/QvOih
>>
>>1067576
one shot to the head.
>>
https://youtube.com/watch?v=so8SCQ6OqfM

Don't puncture the gut sack while removing. Singe the hair off before peeling off the skin. Spit and roast. Liver is good too.
>>
>>1067576
I never have had to bash them with a .22lr but sometimes using my shotgun i will have to heel stop/butt stroke them.
>>
>>1072324
I've literally never seen such a retarded way to cook a squirrel.
>>
>>1072480
You're retarded. Enjoy your mites and worms.

I actually don't know if that video was the one I saw before
>>
>>1065294
why do you faggots hate squirrels?
>>
>>1072515
I don't hate them. I love them. I also love to eat them. Don't get high and mighty with me bitch, you kill just as much and are responsible for just the same amount of death as those who hunt. Only difference is you don't see it faggot.
>>
>>1071001
Thanks.
>>
File: food.webm (2MB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
food.webm
2MB, 320x320px
I tried this webm with grouse. It looks like it would work with squirrel. My recommendation would be to stop taking game meat and turning it into stew. I even made coconut curry grouse once.
>>
>>1065294
>a rusty 410
Fuck that, 12 gauge coming right out
>>
>>1068830
Squirrels are a pest, faggot. Not in danger of going extinct anytime soon. I'd support the same thing for crows and feral hogs too.
>>
>>1065294
Anyone ever try brain tanning their squirrel hides? Might be cool to try this year. Will be using a beautiful walnut stocked Marlin 25N that I re-blued after buying it off funbroker.
>>
>>1073472
Nice find nigga. I got myself a 25 from the same place. It was beat to shit but I cleaned it up and redid the stock. Great little shooter.
>>
File: IMG_20161027_174636.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161027_174636.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
Living in the UK, I'm into foraging, bushcraft etc. and would like to try squirrel to see what it is like. However the law in the UK is that I can't use an air rifle unless on private land with the owners permission and I don't know anyone who has farmland. What are the chances of getting caught if I shoot on a national park eg. exmoor/dartmoor?? I would only be shooting sustainably,
>>
>>1073800
The answer is you should leave the United cuckdom and move to America where you can hunt squirrels with an M1 garand on public land if you want to. I live in Massachusetts which is one of the most restrictive states in the union in terms of gun laws and the only rule here is shotguns only in the Eastern 1/4 of the state because it's too densely settled.
>>
>>1073800
Realistically though you probably wouldn't get caught. The hard part would be smuggling an air rifle around without getting spotted. You'd be golden if you used a pellet pistol.
>>
>>1073800
Just pretend you're a muslim and bring a 9 year old girl with you. If the police question you, which would be racist, say you were teaching her the Qu'Ran and they'll leave you alone.
>>
>>1073812
Back to /pol/ with you
>>
>>1073800
Try sling shots, I know you bongs are into that shit. Plus keep in mind you'll be poaching. Do you dare kill in the kings forest?! LOL
>>
>>1075065
kek
>>
How do you find good spots for squirrel hunting? What signs do you look for when scouting?
>>
>>1074357
Sure thing, kid.
>>
>>1076074
Look for favored food or old nests.

This time of year they'll be cutting green hickory nuts or eating shit like mulberries, and mainly staying in the trees. Later on they'll move to walnuts, ripe hickory nuts, and acorns and splitting their time roughly 50/50 between ground and trees. After the leaves fall they'll be foraging on the ground mainly as all the non-diseased nuts and good forage will be on the ground.

Squirrels generally avoid large stands of pine trees and gravitate towards hardwoods.
>>
Shit Yall have problems finding squirrel?

I just pull up a lawn chair with my 22 and shoot 1-3 of the 15 or so down in the field. Then wait 10 minutes for them to come back out.

Shot around 10 last weekend, we've maybe shot around 2000 over the last 10 years, and they steal still fucking thriving
>>
>>1065294
Going for my first time in a week. Got some really remote areas of extensive mature mast trees, although I imagine it will be a bit before that really heats up. Going with my Ruger 10/22, think it should be a relaxing time whether i see something or not
>>
>>1077027
You will have fun man. Another month before the season here opens. Gonna try and get me a fat fox squirrel this fall.
>>
>>1070010
In a similar boat in regards to deer, planning on doing some scouting about 5 miles from any trail on local federal wilderness and going bow-hunting to beat the orange army. Should be fun
>>
>>1077028
I'm a forest ecologist by training so this sounds like a good time, seems like alot of season squirrel hunters are good overall woodsman. Also planning on scouting deer for bow season
>>
File: IMG_5379.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5379.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>1076074
>What signs do you look for when scouting?
Nests. This is what they look like where I live.
>>
>>1077032
We don't do it for the meat (even if it is damn tasty) or the glory, we just love being out in the woods
>>
>>1077641
Speak for yourself. I'm there for the meat.
>>
>>1077641
Seconding
>>1079115
I do it for the meat.
>>
So while hunting, how to you carry the squirrels you've killed until you get back home? Do you skin/gut them immediately after you kill each one or just do it all at once? What do you carry them in?
>>
>>1080138
Game strap or the game pouch on a hunting vest or a plastic shopping bag in the front pocket on a daypack.

Gut them when I get home unless it's really fucking hot out, it makes less of a mess that way.
>>
>>1080138
I always find little bugs/ticks on them even when its like close to freezing temps. As such I carry a bag of fabric like one of those grocery bags and carry them in there. Tie the top off with some para chord or any string. I like these bags bc it let's them breathe but keeps flies off them in the early season. I'll gut them in the woods at the end of my hunt.
>>
Who's been out? I know at least one of you faggots gotta be from one of the states that have a season that opens in August.
>>
>>1082842
>tfw my season opened May 25
117 squirrels and counting
>>
>>1082881
Damn. Lucky bastard. What state?
>>
>>1084140
MO
We can hunt squirrels May 25-Feb 12th. It's only closed a little over 3 months.

Now, so much of the state is new-growth timber with assloads of underbrush it's really fucking difficult to hunt them until the leaves fall, but it's legal.
>>
>>1069143
Ne and Ks do too
>>
Anyone used squirrel calls with any luck?
>>
>>1085183
I just rub coins together like a covetous merchant
>>
>>1085183
Yes. They're great for locating turkeys and pissing off crows.

I've never called in a squirrel with a squirrel call though.
>>
>>1085183
I use the primos call in the early season. The young distress call works pretty good. But IMO the coin trick or making a clicking noise with your tongue to imitate squirrel cutting sound works better.
>>
>>1065300
What in the ever loving fuck am I looking at
>>
>>1085220
kek
>>
>>1087143

Squirrel Bot-fly larva.
>>
File: IMG_20170811_133639.jpg (2MB, 4424x1521px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170811_133639.jpg
2MB, 4424x1521px
>>1069143
TN does but you've gotta clean em fast or put them on ice. Weathers always way too hot and the flies will get to them quick. Pic related is what I'm taking on the opening day tomorrow
>>
>>1073344
This looks like a great idea. How would you debone the legs first though?
>>
>>1076074
Nuts and other food stuffs depending on the season, also nests and shaking branches.
>>
>>1088394
Nice. Keeping a weather eye out for a lefty 452 amerilard myself. Probably gonna take my mk2 out for the opener here.
>>
File: IMG_20170811_133652.jpg (2MB, 5109x1036px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170811_133652.jpg
2MB, 5109x1036px
>>1088416
This is the "Super Match" but I do love the American. Good luck finding a lefty
>>
>>1088418
That euro stock looks weird AF. How comfy is it?
>>
>>1088503
It's actually really cozy
>>
File: IMG_20170826_085041.jpg (4MB, 2147x5173px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170826_085041.jpg
4MB, 2147x5173px
Phone postin from innawoods. I'm on the board with 1
>>
>>1089057
Nice. Still another week to go for the opener here.
>>
>>1068529
thank you based anon
>>
>>1073812
shoo, we're having a nice time here.
>>
>>1089057
What distance shot? You usually hunt with open sights?
>>
>>1089317
25ish yards and yes most of our 22s are open sights because I'm too lazy to mount a decent scope and rings
>>
>>1089351
Ballsy. I shoot sub sub dime size groups at the bench but can't hunt without optics. Not unless I keep everything inside 25yd or less. Even then, I seen too many crawl offs. They are the toughest critters I ever encountered pound for pound.
>>
File: IMG_20161002_014320.jpg (1MB, 2197x2161px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161002_014320.jpg
1MB, 2197x2161px
>>1089801
>Ballsy
Nah, I've been using a .32 muzzleloader for the last 3 seasons so a 22 kinda feels like I'm cheating, even without an optic. Pic related is the CVA Squirrel I use
>>
>>1089816
That looks like a big ass bullet for a squirrel. Just getting into muzzle loader for deer. Still haven't shot it. Any tips?
>>
>squirrel hunting
>not moose hunting
>>>/lgbt/
>>
>>1089941
>A little big for a squirrel
With 30grains of powder it's just right for em.
Just practice taking shots out to your max comfortable distance and make sure to clean it before season starts. Black powder and it's approximates like pyrodex will rust your gun quick. Being some speed loaders with you out during the season and always carry spare caps. I snapped a cap on one last year, but the gun didn't go off. Luckily the deer kept feeding and let me recap and fire again.
>>
>>1065418
MI?
>>
>>1090474
MD
>>
Honestly I would use a .22

.410s are good but the ammo is too expensive, plus some of the pellets get lodged in the meat. Just my opinion though, .410s have their place
>>
>>1090519
This is why I hate hunting with a shotgun in general. Unless its birds or slugs for deer, I dont fuck with shotguns.
>>
>>1090512
I miss my old oak grove in Savage River country, looks like it's an acorn year too, sad.
>>
>>1068528
>>1068529
These books are really good. The small game one obviously being most relevant to the thread.
>>
>>1068888
You struck a chord and now he's going from calling people who live differently from him " mongo" to defending how much an asshole he really isn't. Regardless just proves that the slow board weeds out shit poster theory to be false.
>>
Looks like rain all day for the opener tomorrow. Fuck you Harvey!!!
>>
Pls no bully

Do you need a license in America to hunt squirrel? I don't like killing animals that I don't eat, but these bastard are running my everything.

I'd be using a .22
>>
>>1092361
Small game license unless your area has deemed them pests.
>>
Pretty meh opening day for dove. Only managed to down 15 total between the 3 of us in the field.
>>
>>1090519
I actually really like .410's (and 28ga, but I just like 28ga for almost everything) for squirrel. Tight choke and #6 shot in a heavy game load and usually they fully penetrate. Out of several hundreds of squirrels I've shot with a .410 I think I've had pellets lodged in usable meat maybe 10 times.

Shotguns are good when you're trying to hunt with buddies, or young kids that can't sit still long enough to snipe unsuspecting treerats with a rifle. Or if you're feeling lazy and just want 1 or 2 for the pot.
>>
File: IMG_20170901_164428.jpg (2MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170901_164428.jpg
2MB, 3120x4160px
Dove opener looking bleak....
>>
>>1065294
Today is opening day but I won't get to go. I planned on waiting until at least the first frost anyway.
Thread posts: 154
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.