[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hunting predators

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: coydoggy.jpg (23KB, 600x413px) Image search: [Google]
coydoggy.jpg
23KB, 600x413px
There's an asshole who lives about a mile south of me in suburban eastern Pennsylvania. I've learned that he recently shot a coyote.

I don't know how mad about this I should be. I don't fully understand the ecological consequences of killing a predator. I always assumed that their populations are controlled by prey abundance, and so there's no reason for humans to control them like we control deer here in BUCKS county PA. Am I wrong? I'm guessing my view is an oversimplification, since eastern PA is far from a natural environment, so ecosystems might work differently here.
>>
>>1064516
What is the point of this thread?
>>
Coyote's are vermin and op is granola eating faggot
>>
>>1064526
When coyotes howl it's essentially like taking a census of their population. If some of the howls are missing, it stimulates a hormone in the female coyotes and they have more pups in their litter when they give birth. That's why they've exploded in population. If you want more coyotes, start hunting them
>>
The only reason coyotes are even on the east coast is because we killed all the wolves. I leave them alone because there's no stopping them, and they kill lots of stray cats, which are much harder on ecosystems. At the same time, I don't give a shit about my neighbors killing them. You sound like you're looking for something to be upset about, OP. Hopefully you find something else to get heated over, before your neighbor shoots you for being such a scavenging cockwarbler.
>>
File: image.jpg (14KB, 247x250px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14KB, 247x250px
>>1064516
Cats are predators and I would murder every single one I see while /out/ if I was back in Australia.
Or do you specifically mean native, non cute predators?
>>
>>1064539
>If you kill them they win

Coyote's confirmed to be from Canada
>>
>>1064516
>I don't fully understand the ecological consequences of killing a predator
It's pretty fucking obvious. Git and stay git you limp- wristed ninny.
>>
>>1064546
Also, coyotes are pack animals but can split off on their own, unlike wolves. They're a pretty impressive species desu
>>
>>1064516
>I don't know how mad about this I should be.
>I don't fully understand
outrage culture is gross, kys
>>
>>1064516
They've reached PA now?
>>
>>1064584
They've been in PA for years. I spooked some off the road from a roadkilled deer about 10 years ago.
>>
Out here in the west we blast them for fun. If pumping a yote full of compressed air until their anus blows out so you can seperate the skin isnt the best thing in the world i dont know what is.
>>
>>1064539

We need to kill them with kindness. If the coyotes had more economic opportunities, they wouldn't be radicalized.
>>
coyotes are not rare or endangered

unless there was a very coordinated effort or long period of open-season hunting, semi-regular coyote shootings ain't gonna hurt shit
>>
In my state you get a reward if you kill coyotes in certain areas.
>>
I kill the mangy cunts all the time, killed me cat it did. So I put a bullet in every one of the little cunts I can.
>>
>>1064516
Well, let me break this down for you.
>I don't know how mad about this I should be
You should be HAPPY. Coyotes are an overpopulated nuisance animal that spread disease and decimate local/native species, as well as being a huge threat to pets and potentially children due to their ability to adapt to urban/suburban habitat.
>I don't fully understand the ecological consequences of killing a predator
Clearly, since you seem clueless that coyotes are about 15,000 times more populace than what would be balanced, due to being an invasive species with no natural predators of their own and a steady, reliable food source in the form of human leavings and pets that allows them to circumvent a lack of wild prey.
>I always assumed that their populations are controlled by prey abundance
If they were strictly a predator and didn't have access to pets and garbage cans, this would be true. But they have access to pets and garbage cans and are opportunistic scavengers as much as they are predators.
>so there's no reason for humans to control them
But there is. They're grossly overpopulated and have figured out how to circumvent all of nature's checks and balances.
>am I wrong?
Very, yes.
>I'm guessing my point of view is an oversimplification
No, your point of view is that of a wholly uninformed bleeding-heart treehugger.
>since eastern PA is far from a natural environment
This is arguable, considering it's not too far out of the coyote's historical "home range" and never really had significant numbers of any other apex predator or other animal filling the niche the coyote does.
>so ecosystems might work differently here
Ecosystems always work differently anywhere even the slightest difference is present. Hell you will have a separate ecosystem on the other side of your CITY, much less county, state, region, or country.
>>
>>1064584
Coyotes had measurable populations in all 50 states starting in the 1960's, their range extends from southern Mexico up to subarctic Canada.
>>
>>1064693
News flash: all 50 states and the district of Columbia have no season, shooting hours, or bag limit on coyotes. They can be hunted 24/7/365 anywhere it's legal to hunt anything (and a lot of municipalities have opened up urban/suburban hunting under limited conditions when they won't for other animals, as well as are actively hiring exterminators to kill them via poison or traps), and they actively encourage you to kill as many as possible. Some states actually have a bounty on them, and a few of those it's significant (highest I've seen in 2016 was $65 per pelt, which you're then allowed to keep once it's tagged, and those are worth between $15 and $200 depending on size and condition on the fur market). They're listed nationally as a nuisance animal and varmint.
>>
>>1064516

There are no bag limits on coyotes. Why do you think that is?

http://www.pgc.pa.gov/HuntTrap/Law/Pages/SeasonsandBagLimits.aspx
>>
>>1064516
Everything you said is right OP. These sad douch bags just look for reasons to kill shit because they get off on it, no respect for life. Helps them feel dominant because their lives make them feel like cucks. Coyotes at least will just have bigger litters to compensate for the killing. That's how they've managed to live around us for so long.
>>
>>1064539
or start putting howling machines out so stop them from reproducing. you just said they replenish losses almost immediately.
>>
>>1064731
Wrong. I follow huttin seasons closely in MA, not because I hunt but for my own safety as lots of people hunt in my woods. There is no hunting on sundays for anything including coyotes, there is no hunting after dusk for anything including coyotes (trapping excepted) and coyotes have specifically defined hunting season.

The exception is they can be shot for protection of your livestock, property, or person, in which case you're repelling coyote raids and not pursuing them as prey.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.