[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Survival Food

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: 1200px-Insect_food_stall.jpg (411KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Insect_food_stall.jpg
411KB, 1200x900px
What insects are safe to eat, possible to farm for longterm protein ressource and maybe even tasty?
>>
File: Fried-Grasshoppers.jpg (1019KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
Fried-Grasshoppers.jpg
1019KB, 1000x667px
Locusts
>>
>>1064016
nearly every insect is edible if cooked properly, though i don't imagine any of them taste 'good'
>>
>>1064016
https://bugible.com/2016/04/11/what-do-insects-taste-like/

"Mint-fed crickets will adopt a minty taste" ... and now, I'm craving crickets.
>>
>>1064016
just about everything fried tastes good, junebugs, crickets, locusts. I know some beetles and various flying bugs can be either gross or poisonous, I'm not sure which ones, and it would depend on your location what is edible.
>>
Re: frying

What kind of oils/fats do you guys take innawoods for cooking? Is there some readily foraged oil source out there? Obviously if you're hunting you'll have shittons of fat available, but without a hunting permit how do you get cooking oil?
>>
>>1064079
You don't. The only thing even close to being viable is lard, vegetable fats all require complex pressing equipment. Your only option is buying oil if you expect to fry anything.
>>
>>1064079
A former mini vodka plastic bottle filled with sunflower oil. Even at home that amount is enough for months of frying (at least for me).
>>
>>1064088
pressing oil out of fruits and vegetables isn't a complex or difficult matter. you also don't need complex or expensive tools. the only problem is the amount of fruits and vegetables you need to collect to get enough amount of oil for anything useful.
>>
>>1064088
>>1064089
Solid plan. Other beekeepers have told me that honeybee drone larvae are sometimes requested by Vietnamese friends. They're larger than most bee larvae, easy frying. If you are ever pulling honey from a hive you could cut out the drone brood while you're in there and eat that. I would strongly advise against harvesting honey and brood from a feral beehive if you don't know what you're doing, as feral bees aren't used to working with people anymore and, region dependent, are possibly Africanized.

If I was bushcrafting I'd probably focus on hunting bees and catching their swarms to manage. They provide honey, larvae for snacking, wax, pollen "bread" (high in protein), propolis (a bee glue made of resin with medical properties), and friendship. There are ways to keep bees in logs, it would be far more practical than cutting open tree hives.
>>
>>1064096
Sounds good.
>>
File: beehive.jpg (467KB, 1486x1158px) Image search: [Google]
beehive.jpg
467KB, 1486x1158px
>>1064096
>There are ways to keep bees in logs
>>
>>1064107
Yup, that's about what I was thinking, essentially a Kenyan Top Bar Hive. Have some side entrances for venting, inspect them every now and then for disease and to make splits, and if you've got good forage in your spot you could eventually have tons of them.
>>
>>1064289
>if you've got good forage in your spot you could eventually have tons of them.
Yup. Gonna go gorilla grow honey.
>>
>>1064418
You should hang in the beekeeper general in /an/, it's good to meet another innawoods beekeeper.
>>
>>1064827
To be fair, I haven't started it yet. I did help my stepdad when I was younger, but he used langstroths and kept them on a farm, I definitely want to build some deep innawoods.
>>
>>1064016
The only bugs I'd consider eating are either grasshopper or wood grubs and even then I'd prolly cook them first

I'd rather farm these insects as poultry/fish feed and eat that instead
>>
>>1064016
Scoripans
>>
>>1064830
Yeah I figure if you can keep a Langstroth you can keep a topbar. Let em progress naturally and just make splits in spring, don't have to worry about it much. Top bars also are easier to inspect because you're only pulling a frame at a time, so you don't have to disturb the entire hive by taking off one box at a time. For scaling, even in a backyard modern context, it isn't so grand, but if you're innawoods it's perfect. Kenya tier economics.
>>
>>1065472
I know. >>1064107 is actually my design. It's meant to be constructed with minimal tools (hike-in carry weight), finding a suitable log on site. Low disturbance is a great benefit also because I'm not likely to carry full gear (smoker, suit, prybars, clamps, etc.) and will probably only have a bug net for my face and a pair of gloves.

If you can think of anything that might be wrong with my design or intention, I'd love to hear it; I know I'll have some difficulty populating a hive without imported european bees, but baiting the hive before swarming season should get me one or two if I manage to set up a dozen or so this fall.
>>
>>1064016
Fucking Jews trying to sell westerners on eating bugs.
>>
>>1065495
well, better bugs than babies and foreskins.
>>
>>1065520
as long as it satisfies the hunger .. ..
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.