[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weird Thunderstorm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 1379398021_lightning-wallpaper.jpg (102KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1379398021_lightning-wallpaper.jpg
102KB, 1000x750px
I used to live in a huge ranch. It began at a roadside and went a few acres up an inclined piece of land that ended in a hill. Beautiful place.

I once had a weird experience there, thought you guys might be able to help clarify it or maybe offer some insight/similar experiences.
It was around 11pm, I had just went to bed to sleep - it had been a rainy winter day, basically cloudy but with no thunderstorm, not a single lighting that day. I was laying down for around a few minutes, hearing the rain outside when my father tells me to come check something out. We had a backdoor with a small openable window, he was standing there with the window open looking outside, and motioned me to look through it.
I couldn't see anything except for the few feet ahead where the light coming from inside was going, but then I noticed it: The sky kept flashing with light - not lightning or anything visible/audible. There was no sound except for the rain but the sky was flashing constantly at around 1-2 second intervals, as if someone was turning a VERY powerful light on and off constantly. It was so bright it basically lit up the whole visible landscape, but I could tell the light came from above - which I first assumed would be lightning, but then I realized: There was not a single sound.

Anyone can explain this? Any similar experiences?
It basically kept going on for around a good 30 minutes, with no sound whatsoever.
>>
I see this quite often. My dad always called it heat lightning.
>>
There's a lot we don't know about meteorology.

These clouds weren't far away right? Often I've seen thunderstorms dozens of miles away in the night sky. You don't hear a thing when it happens, yet they aren't as bright as you described. They just lit up the clouds and not the whole landscape.

Winter thunderstorms are strange. You should look them up if you're interested. I remember one during a snow storm we had. Only a a few thunders though.
>>
>>1063515
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/44900-lightning-but-no-thunder/
>>
OP here.

>>1063517
Might be this! Or some variation I suppose.

>>1063518
They were right on top of us, but extended for what I'll guess is a few miles around. I could only see them due to these flashes. They seemed really "bloated". There was no lightning across the sky either, just those flashes of light.

>>1063519
Could be a high-based storm.

The weirdest thing is how long it lasted and how constant and intense the flashing was. It seemed almost controlled.

I live kind of near the south pole, we have a very varied weather here (sometimes it's tropical and sometimes it's almost like a russian winter).
>>
>>1063515

It's sheet lightening. Just means it's very big but very distant.
>>
>>1063515
Lightning storms over the horizon, too far away to hear
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.