[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking For Backpack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 17

File: 8957810001.jpg (23KB, 290x440px) Image search: [Google]
8957810001.jpg
23KB, 290x440px
Thread title speaks for itself.
I'm just starting out, so I'm not looking for a particularly large pack (I.e.70L+).
Looking at the Redwing 50, preferably the older one. Any and all help is welcome
>>
Look into osprey because either new or used they're guranteed for life. I have the Atmos 65 which is great. I tried the aether too but it sat too low on me (long legs, short torso). I would definitely not get a 70L if you're just starting because you'll put way too much shit in it. Start small and only do day hikes, one night, two nights.
>>
strongly recommend going to a brick and mortar store to get sizing stuff checked for - it's usually pretty straightforward if you are a person of average build, but you never know. also, totally worth doing to compare packs in person because pictures can do an awful job of displaying what a pack is actually like. this doesn't mean you have to buy from that store, mind you

but yeah, Osprey is solid if you're only just getting started. also have the Atmos as a pack for bigger trips, and rather like it.
>>
File: 20170702_195428.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170702_195428.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
I like my Redwing.

I paid $65 for it. For that price it's amazing. I find it not that comfortable with 30lbs of gear, but I've since cut my pack weight to about 20lbs total with water and it carries much better.

It's built really well, no complaints about durability. I like that it's not just one big giant pouch like some baga... It actually has compartments for organizing stuff.

The carry handle on the back of the pack is awesome. Doesn't seem like you'd need it, but for lugging it around camp, or tossing it in your truck, that handle is nice. I also use it to stuff my jacket through when I get too hot, so it doubles as nice place to secure something.

Complaints? No hip belt pockets and the suspension is pretty simple. It's also not great at really heavy loads.
>>
File: 20170702_195432.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170702_195432.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>1063419
Sorry, sideways pic
>>
Buy your pack after you decide what you are doing outside and get your other gear
>>
The Redwing 50 is a great pack. I've been using one for years. If I get tired of it, though, I'll probably replace it with an Osprey or a good US or EU-made alternative. You really can't go wrong
>>
>>1063420
>Dales
Muh nig.
>>
File: Download (6).jpg (11KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Download (6).jpg
11KB, 300x300px
You need one, that is waterproof.
There are some on Amazon which are really good like this one.

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01MSXM2R6/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=9603-21&camp=1638&creative=6742&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B01MSXM2R6&linkId=272857d6be19fa8943c40344f345e862
>>
Zpacks Arc Blast. hard to beat this pack http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks/arc_blast.shtml
>>
>>1063199
>>1063215
Thanks for the advice on Osprey! I'll look into the Atmos 65

>>1063419
>>1063475
Good to hear that it's served you so well. I'll keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on it

>>1064179
Looks okay, but I'm impartial to US-Made stuff. Thank you for the rec, though!

>>1064181
>$325 starting price
>Osprey Atmos 65 is $100 less at most for 10L more
I understand it's hard to beat but I'm simply not going to pay that price for a product with less capacity
>>
>>1063194
Just ran a month long backpacking trip to 12 different national parks with the Atmos 65ag.
Cannot beat it honestly. If it breaks, I'm buying another. Zero stitching failure, hardly noticeable heat spots, great ventilation, and awesome ability to strap everything nice and snug. Held a ton of gear without once making me think I packed too heavy of a load. Survived great in from the Badlands to Glacier to Zion to the Grand Canyon.
10/10.
>>
>>1064510
Have you done any other thru-hikes with it?
I'm planning to hike the Ozark Highlands Trail and maybe the Ozark Trail later on. It's a two week trip for the former, but I would like to know in case I decide to hike longer trails
>>
>>1064504
Definitely try it on, but the air suspension thing is so nice
>>
>>1064510
>If it breaks, I'm buying another.
You wouldn't need to. Osprey warranty covers wear and tear. If you bust one of their bags, negligence or not, they'll repair or replace.
>>
I'm not OP, but I'm looking at the Osprey backpacks too. How comfortable are they on longer treks?
>>
>>1066310
I don't see why the Atmos shouldn't stay comfortable over long periods. When it's properly fitted, adjusted, and packed there are no hotspots to become bothersome. The suspension system is so nice because it's a distributed system. The pack spoons you all over instead of in a couple of spots. The only issue I have with mine is that it's awkward to get into when the pack is full because the hipbelt has tension to make it fold in.
>>
Have Osprey 10 for dayhikes, love the 3 litre bladder, but hate how there's no room in this pack when the bladder is full. Am I doing it wrong? Gonna check the compression straps and make sure they're not tightened
>>
File: opinel gshock.jpg (99KB, 750x562px) Image search: [Google]
opinel gshock.jpg
99KB, 750x562px
>>1063194
What is the least expensive daypack that's still worth buying? I'm composing an EDC list for poorfags and figured I should have a section on backpacks.
>>
>>1064504
>Osprey Atmos 65
have fun with a pack that weighs FIVE pounds empty then... Christ that's more than my tent, bag, and pack combined. Smh these noobs lol
>>
>>1066593
>Opinel
My dude
>>
File: 1500569592824[1].jpg (131KB, 1520x900px) Image search: [Google]
1500569592824[1].jpg
131KB, 1520x900px
>>1066612
You'll probably like my list, Opinel is on it more than once. Here's the concise version (long version has item specs and shopping links, but doesn't fit in one reply) of the current draft:

---EDC FOR POORFAGS---
The goal of this document is to compose a list of the absolute cheapest EDC gear that won't break or require replacement anytime soon and will make it easier for someone to function day-to-day as they work their way up from the bottom of society.

--KNIVES under $15--

LOCKING KNIVES:

any locking Opinel (No6, No7, No8, No9, No10, No12)
>$9+ Amazon
>made in France

Buck 284
>$14+ Amazon
>made in America

Sanrenmu 710
>$7+ GearBest
>made in China

NON-LOCKING KNIVES:

any non-locking Opinel (No5, No4, No3, No2)
>$9+ Amazon
>made in France

Svord Peasant
>$13+ Amazon
>made in New Zealand

Victorinox Classic
>$14+ Amazon
>made in Switzerland

FIXED BLADE KNIVES:

Morakniv Companion
>$13+ shipped Amazon
>made in Sweden

other Moras
>$10+ Amazon
>made in Sweeden

Schrade Sharpfinger
>$14+ Amazon
>made in China, old (better) ones made in the United States

--WATCHES under $20--

Casio F-91W
>$6+ Amazon/eBay (read reviews, watch for fakes)
>light water resist
>made in Japan

Casio MRW200H series (several color variations)
>$15+ Amazon
>100m water resist
>made in Japan

AliExpress.com can ship 18mm NATO-style straps from $1+, stock strap fails long before the watch itself.

--FLASHLIGHTS under $20--

Streamlight MicroStream
>$15+ Amazon
>made in China

Convoy S2+
>$10+ GearBest
>made in China

--MULTI-TOOLS under $40--

Leatherman, shop specific to lifestyle and anticipated tasks
>$25+ Amazon
>http://www.leatherman.com/multi-tools

Gerber, shop specific to lifestyle and anticipated tasks
>$9+ Amazon
>http://www.gerbergear.com/Multi-Tools

Victorinox Swiss Army Super Tinker
>$39+ Amazon

--MISCELLANEOUS--

free pen and notepad from hotel/bank lobby

---end---
>>
My last bag was a Everest CL Softpack F10 40L and it served me well for 5 years whitout complaining
>>
>>1066593
Actual daypack idk I just use some backpack I got from Target. I'd say it's like, 20L.
Overall, a daypack should be no more than 20L imo. Anything else is overkill

>>1066612
This guy gets it
>>
>>1066623
/k/ knife sticky pls go
Solid list, though

Also >>1066625 was me, but I forgot to put name
>>
>>1066594
Yeah that and the price are making it hard for me to justify that pack.
What would you recommend, then? Know of any packs that are still solid in terms of price and are good for entry-level folks like myself?
>>
>>1066623
Dank list, thanks for including country of origin. I hate buying chinese shit when I can help it. Don't think the F91W is made in Japan though
>>
Opinions on external frame packs?
>>
File: t e r r o r w a v e.jpg (2MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
t e r r o r w a v e.jpg
2MB, 1536x2048px
>>1066627
>/k/ knife sticky pls go
>>>/k/ktg merely adopted the list. I've been putting together a list of poorfag kit to try to give poorfags the literal tools to succeed. I've worked my way up from being homeless with a bag of belongings to having enough spare funds to delve into collecting guns, watches, and knives, and I'd like to help others do the same. Being that a backpack was one of my most essential pieces of kit (I got lucky with free ones), I figured I'd drop by /out/ for some recommendations.

>>1066653
>Don't think the F91W is made in Japan though
Fuck, you're right: made in Thailand. The other Casio is a Japanese movement cased in China. I've updated my text files accordingly, thanks for pointing that out.

>I hate buying chinese shit when I can help it.
You'll note I put the Chinese knives at the bottom of their respective categories regardless of their price, the exception possibly being the multi-tools section because I haven't finished that one yet and haven't checked into Gerber and Leatherman manufacturing. I'm actually looking into a Ganzo's line of Chinese multi-tools, which has surprisingly good reviews so far as I can tell.
>>
>>1063419
Not trying to bad mouth your pack but it seems like a 50l pack should be comfortable with 30 lbs of gear. It's not like 30lbs is overloading 50l.
>>
>>1066696
Sorry, my bad. Didn't know you put that together. Good on you, Anon

>>1066667
I would like to know this as well
>>
>>1066667
Only good if you are going ultralight, really out of date at this point in time otherwise

>>1066750
What kind of backpacking are you wanting to do?

There's no need to get something super ultralight unless you're going for more than a few days. At that point, your food weight becomes so crazy even going stoveless ro dehydrated that you really gotta worry about weight.

Bear country?

Thru-hikes of super long trails?

Mountains?

I need more details to help you. There's been some good info in this thread, but I'd like to try as well.
>>
>>1066753
Thru-hikes of any length.
I live in the Ozarks, so I'm starting with the Ozark Highlands Trail, going to the Ouachita Trail and Ozark Trail, then moving on to longer hikes after that. Sub-$150 would be preferable, hence why I looked at the Redwing 50
>>
>>1066771
Very nice. I grew up in the Ozarks. I want to go back someday and do some of those thru hikes, as I only did portions as a teen here and there.

For through-hikes, you really want to have a good backpack and tent for sure. Weight really matters. Your food just weighs so much that reducing weight in other places becomes quite necessary. I'd aim for 1.5-2.5 lbs per person for the tent, less than 4 lbs for the backpack, less than 3 for your pad and sleeping bag, a super tiny stove, one pot for all your food needs, a very tiny water filter, very few changes of clothes. etc.

Go check out Darwin onthetrail's youtube channel. Some people here hate him because he low-key "shills," but he always does reviews when he changes equipment.
>>
>>1066589
7 liters is really very little room. You shouldn't be able to fit much more than a layer and a snack in there. Also, smaller letter sizes from most manufacturers are actually slightly below the listed volume.
>>
>>1066589
I personally use a 22 liter, with a 2.5 liter hydration bag. Never had to stuff it for a daytrip, although I did come close the day I did 20 miles around Yosemite valley because I had three meals, a pocket rocket stove, a fuel canister, a rain jacket, and a camera.
>>
>>1066785
I'm planning on hammock camping. I have that squared away; shouldn't be too heavy. Already less than 1 pound, but I still need a few things, like a tarp and insulation

Thank you for the advice! Though, I do have to ask, do YOU have a personal preference of pack? External or internal? Brand? Again, anything that is cost-efficient is preferred
Also, I have literally no problem with Darwin. Don't know why people are so up in arms about his shilling
>>
>>1066794
Internal for sure. I had an external I used as a kid in Arkansas. Did 13 miles in Petit Jean with it. Never, ever again. However, that's with fucking poor-tier equipment and the bag weighed a shit ton. I'd only do an external if it was something made with cuben fibre and full of cuben fibre gear.

I personally use a Gregory Baltoros for multi-day stuff, and overnights for now but I intend on picking up something smaller (probably 35-40l) for overnights or even 2 night trips where I'm going super light. Problem is I live in bear country now, and I'm not sure those will fit a bear canister.

His shilling is literally nothing. I don't blame the guy for making money when he can. All I've ever seen are affiliate links anyways.
>>
>>1066797
Would you recommend something 50L or above for a thru-hike? I don't believe I'll need anything over 70L because I'm just starting this whole thing out
Sorry for all the questions and thank you so much for the help
>>
>>1066843
You see a lot of people going 55L with that zpack arc whatever. That's becoming super common for thru-hikers. You might need a 70L, depending on how small and light your gear is. It also depends on if the bears in the Ozarks require the use of bear canisters now.
>>
>>1066876
The bears here in the Ozarks I'm not sure about, but I'll do research
Thanks for the help, Anon!
>>
Speaking of the Redwing 50... That's my pack. Is there a good rain cover I can get without a giant logo on it? I'd recommend the pack any day, but I'd like to do it on my terms and not in my capacity as a walking trail billboard. I guess I could make my own, but...
>>
>>1066917
... I'd like to see what's out there. Maybe I should buy a liner instead
>>
>>1066917
Get the best raincover for it and stop giving a fuck whether it has a logo on it or not.
>>
>>1066917
I'd be interested in this, too. I've read that the Kelty rain cover is super big for the 50. Better too big than too small, but it looks enormous.
>>
>>1063194
I have the older one. It works OK, but it doesn't carry as comfortably as more expensive packs. A lot of the weight is oriented away from the back and hip; a more vertically oriented pack would suit my body better.

I think the newer ones have a better suspension system too.

I'm currently looking for a replacement, if that tells you anything.
>>
>>1063419
I pretty much echo this person's sentiments.
>>
>>1066589
my talon 11 is great for dayhikes, fits all i need to go quick on the trail and scramble over any rocks or difficult terrain with no issues. i estimate it could fit about 2.5 liters of water on the sideholders which is fine seeing as i dont need a hydration pack for now. i wanted the 22 when i walked in the store but its too bulky for my frame for a basic daytrip. i still would get a 22 or 33 for longer excursions though.
>>
>>1063199
This. I also have long legs and short torso and the Atmos 65 fits like a damn glove. It has some of the most comfortable hip straps I've ever felt on a pack, too. There is also a 50L model of the Atmos if you're interested in that, OP. That said, these packs are expensive. The 65 is $260 and the 50 is $230 if I remember correctly, so obviously the redwing is better for a budget. I mean, after all, you are just starting out, so you may find that you don't even like backpacking so much!
>>
I just got a My Trail Co (formerly GoLite) Backpack Light 50l and it seems really solid. It's predecessor had great reviews and this has a few upgrades. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but will be on a 10 day trip here in a few with it. It's super light, comfy (I've packed and walked around with it), and cheap. I got it for $100. It's a bit minimalist, but I'm excited. My other pack I've used for years is a Black Diamond Mercury 65 which has a lot more Bell's and whistles but just seems to be too much.

https://mytrailco.com/collections/packs/products/backpack-light-50l

YouTube reviews for the pack are great as well.
>>
>>1063194
I have a Redwing 50, good all rounder, if you find it on sale, go for it.
>>
>>1067862
Give me an update once you go out. Looks solid!

>>1067710
Hmm. I'll still keep my eyes peeled for this pack, though. Thanks for the info, Anon

>>1067859
Yeah, that's the big killer for me, otherwise I'd dive into the Atmos 50/65 AG immediately. $230 is not a justifiable price for the position I'm in. Perhaps if I do enjoy backpacking I'll save up for it, because I've heard overwhelmingly positive remarks on that pack.

>>1066917
I'm not too bothered by the fact that the logo is bigger than the Great Lakes, but that is understandable. I'd check Amazon and AliExpress if I were you
>>
I'm a little guy (5'2") and I'm looking for a little backpack. I want to stay within the 20L range. I've found a few but I'm welcome to any other suggestions.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/savotta-minijaakari-backpack/55400

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/sarma-tst-cp10-mini-combat-pack/53612

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/3/ProductID/8
>>
>>1066706
I can't say it was uncomfortable, it jist didn't seem to carry all that well with 30lbs+, I found myself readjusting the pack more than I wanted.
>>
>>1068239
I'd say stick with your finds. They all lookike solid packs. If you really want something else though, just look up 20L packs and check for name brands like Deuter, Kelty, etc.
>>
>>1066706
You're right. It's not a very comfortable pack since the load hangs too far off your back/hips.
>>
>>1066706
>>1068471
Which, for me, isn't an issue under 30 lb loads. It seems once it hits 30, I'm constantly readjusting it.
>>
File: DSCF2570_zps832a8618.jpg (104KB, 618x824px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF2570_zps832a8618.jpg
104KB, 618x824px
Master race LK35 coming through
>cheap
>metal frame
>designed to survive 10m falls
>no tacticool pockets fucking everywhere
>nice warm green color
>>
>>1068540
> want to get sweat rag out to wipe off forehead after 700 metre climb
> no fucking pockets
> have to take off goddamn pack, set it on fire ant hill and root around inside to find my fucking rag

everytime
>>
>>1068540
Are you MCQBushcraft...?
Anyways, considered that one, looking for more capacity than that
>It comes in 50L, Anon
I'm not looking to LARP when I go /out/
>>
>>1068621
Why even go out then?
>>
>>1068669
To enjoy nature and myself. Why else?
>>
>>1068958
/out/ is pure aesthetics baby
>>
>>1068984
Yeah, the aesthetics of this great green Earth
Anyways thanks for showing me another option for a pack!
>>
Hey /out/ what's a good day pack with Molle straps? I'm not on board with the tacticool meme, but I like the usage of it and I do a lot of stuff while out and it varies from trip to trip so I'd like a good system for adding pouches and the like. additionally, what's a good day pack with a bed/blanket roll storage? or do I have to just kind of figure that out on my own?
>>
Just picked this "Mountaintop 55L + 10L" up off of craigslist for $40. Seems like a good starting pack, it's pretty much brand new.

Not entirely sure what the 55L + 10L means, I guess there's an extra 10L of space you can use if you want?

I'm working on putting together a camping kit for less than $200, and then I'll upgrade pieces over time depending on what I like and don't.
>>
>>1069001
I believe the 10 is the brain which you can probably remove and use as a fanny pack
>>
I have this one (Fjällräven Kajka 75) and i'm very happy maybe a little heavy but so much comfort
>>
>>1063194
Yo, has anyone ever heard of Brandit? It's some German company and their stuff is pretty cheap. The Aviator 65 looks appealing. The only info I can find is in German.
>>
>>1069398
Front view of the 80
>>
>>1068239
Osprey has S/M variants of a few of their 20 litre packs. Will fit you perfectly.
>>
>>1067859
I have an enjoy the larger aether it is a great pack alittle heave at 70L but for extended trips it works great.
>>
I'mma hijack this thread and ask for some help.

I recently got myself a LK35 but i really need some better shoulder straps (preferrably with padding). Anyone know any good ones i could just put on the frame fairly simply?

>>1069398
>>1069399
Avoid Brandit.
I've owned a bunch of Brandit stuff, they all look good with their military x casual look but all their stuff break really easy.
>>
File: file.png (2MB, 1233x877px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2MB, 1233x877px
>>1063194
so far I'm liking this 60L
>>
File: file.png (1006KB, 695x929px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1006KB, 695x929px
>>1072666
>>
>>1072666
>>1072669
How much does it weigh completely empty?
>>
>>1068990
Camelback hawg. Love mine.
>>
>>1072764
don't have know the weight on hand
but can tell you it is a little heavier than my osprey atmos 65L
and a lot lighter than the USMC IL
>>
File: file.png (2MB, 1233x858px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2MB, 1233x858px
>>1073081
*ILBE
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.